Questions for owners of the TLX 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Questions for owners of the TLX 2.4

The TLX is on my list of cars to consider when I replace my 2008 Accord EXL navi 5MT at some point. I really like the styling of the TLX inside and out, as well as the features and the value. I have a few questions, and I apologize if these have been answered elsewhere....Don't feel you have to try to answer all of these, even one would be a help! Thanks.

On the base model, can you do things with voice activation, like choose an XM station, or is that only with the Tech model? I can do things by voice in my 08 as well as in my wife's 2013 Accord EXL navi, and it is convenient sometimes to do things that way.

On the ILX Premium you can "tether," I think they call it, a smart phone to the car to use the phone's navi on the car's screen. I assume that's not possible with the base TLX?

How is the stereo on the base model? Better than a high end Accord, or are they basically just the same?

How is the leatherette on the base? Those seats look good! Since my wife gets our one car garage and my car has to live outside, this seems like a practical option given that I tend to keep my cars c. 8 years or so.

How is the ESL stereo on the Tech model?

Has the 8 speed DCT been given a successful firmware fix?

What kind of real world mpg are you getting, city and hwy?

Is it fun to use the paddle shifters sometimes? Having driven manuals all my life, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go to a CVT, even though I like the one in my wife's car. But what are the real world advantages of the 8 speed DCT over Honda's CVT? Faster acceleration and more engaging sound?

Related question: how is the power and smoothness of the 2.4?

Any other likes, dislikes, or thoughts about the TLX?

Finally, what kind of discounts are possible at this point? For instance, I think it's possible to get c. $3k off of a high end Accord. Is that possible for the TLX too now that dealers have a lot in stock?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-13-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Not trying to be rude, but nearly all of your questions can be answered by different discussion threads already if you do a search with key words.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
That being said, he did apologize if these had already been answered in other thread and wanted people to consider at least answering one. If people don't want to, it is fine, lets move on instead of discouraging people for keeping all their Q&A on a single thread.

OP...I will try and answer at least one. With regards to the paddles...if you have driven a stick all your life, you will not enjoy the paddles as much as the real thing unless you are getting tired of rowing your own gears.

The DCT is far more engaging and sporty/quick than a CVT. The DCT is pretty much a manual without the physical 3rd pedal/stick shift. The reviews on the ILX states that the DCT is very quick and efficient on the ILX but owner of the TLX with teh same transmission have had some issues. I don't recall a car reviewer stating any problems for the TLX when it came out so MAYBE the ILX with the DCT will also have some issues.

Personally, I am OK with the paddles providing that there are no issues with the transmission and although I would PREFER to have a stick, paddle shifting can still be decent. You will need to take one for a test drive and see for yourself....

I will say this though, if you don't need the size of the TLX, I think the 2016 ILX would be far more fun to drive with a lighter weight and the same transmission/engine. Of course, if you want the bigger size of the gizmos that the TLX offers, then that is a different thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
benjaminh (02-14-2015), invalidsearch (02-18-2015)