Potential Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential Buyer

Hello:

I have been browsing the forums for some time now and been admiring all the nice pictures that current owners have shared. I envy you all!

I am in the market for a new car and Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD (I have a soft spot for the 4G Acura TL V6 SH-AWD despite what majority of the publications say about its horrible looks)is on my list. Other cars include Infiniti Q50S AWD, and Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport. I would just like to know if someone has test driven all of them and could perhaps share some of your thoughts with me. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello and welcome. My personal opinion: the TLX is not a suitable replacement for the TL. It is a very nice replacement for the TSX. I was expecting it to be at least on the same level as the 4G TL, if not better, and it wasn't for me. So you too may be disappointed to find that even the TLX SHAWD version is not as nice as the 4G you enjoy.

Of the cars you list I would go with the Lexus. I like the Spindle much more than most people and more than the Acura look.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I think you should go drive them and experience them all personally. Peoples' opinions on this forum and others will vary greatly. Some will love the Lexus and hate on the other two. Others will love the Acura and loathe the others. At the end of the day, it's only your personal opinion that counts. All three cars have their own pros and cons. Good luck to you in your search.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I tried to keep my analyst side in check but was not successful. Define the critical factors for your desired car and make the selection based on the one that scores highest. Here are some common factors in no particular order:
- price
- looks
- tech features
- performance and handling
- reliability reputation (actual reliability will not be known until you have owned it for some time)
- comfort

Test drive all your candidates and do the research. Only you can decide what is best for you.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My personal opinion here only and I hope nobody will flame me for saying this on an Acura forum.... I'd lean towards the Infiniti. You're shopping for the highest end of the TLX model which puts the price in the $45 - 48K range. I purchased the TLX for it being a "value" luxury car but I bought a base model for $30K so my situation is a bit different. For this price you could also get a base model GS Lexus which would be a significantly better car.

The Q50 engine is going to be more powerful and the Infiniti is a better handling car. My previous car was a 370Z which used that same engine and its really strong. Acura provides really good value at the lower price points in terms of technology, luxury, etc. Not as much at the higher end. There was a separate thread on this forum that was pretty well debated between Acura and Infiniti brand perception if you're interested.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all your input. I will go and test all of them myself but I wanted to hear what people's observations are in case I missed them myself. In Canada, from what I have seen, Lexus charges more than the competitors and gives you less. I really like the GS but I can't really spend close to 60k on a car. I believe that's where the GS starts. Even the IS350 F Sport is 53k with the Mark Levinson speakers. I really like the Infiniti as it does have the most powerful engine out of the three. I currently have a 2013 Mazda CX5 GT. My complaints are the lack of power ( I have the 2.0L ), squeaking and rattling interior ( 9 DIY fixes so far ), a bit loud on highway and, and the bit stiff ride.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Lack of power - TLX V6 has good power (but how much do you really need, not want)
Squeaking and rattling - TLX seems really tight (so far)
Loud on highway - TLX is super quiet
Stiff ride - TLX seats are very comfortable
Price - good when compared with US prices using current exchange rate. Seems like a better deal than the competition.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by youzi
I really like the GS but I can't really spend close to 60k on a car. I believe that's where the GS starts.
See link below, this is for the US. But I think the base model GS would be in the mid to high 40s much like a fully loaded TLX. You wouldn't get the AWD and a lot of the technology options though.

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/l...s-350-pricing/
Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Youzi

I did find myself in the same spot...I currently own a 4G SH-AWD 6MT and in September we got a new car for my wife so I test drove a TLX V6 (no SH-AWD available at that time)
I very quickly dismissed the car...it is very quiet but is not visually appealing to me, it has a very derivative look and the interior for me, are not on par even with the 4G TL let alone Lexus of the Infiniti Q50.

We were VERY impressed with the IS 350 F-Sport (handle like a dream) but it was a bit too cramped.....the two "finalists" were the GS F-Sport AWD and the Q50 Sport AWD....the fit and finish fo the GS is superior (well it is a higher segment car to begin with) but the look of the Q50 is sportier (my wife did fidn the GS a bit too conservative), incredible electronics content and a gem of a V6 engine with gutsier performance.

I think a trend is emerging....not many 4G owners in this forum are gunning for the TLX so far.....even those that seemed enthusiastic about it initially.....and we are gravitating around the same choices, Lexus (IS or GS) or Infiniti (Q50)....
Old 10-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by youzi
Hello:

I have been browsing the forums for some time now and been admiring all the nice pictures that current owners have shared. I envy you all!

I am in the market for a new car and Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD (I have a soft spot for the 4G Acura TL V6 SH-AWD despite what majority of the publications say about its horrible looks)is on my list. Other cars include Infiniti Q50S AWD, and Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport. I would just like to know if someone has test driven all of them and could perhaps share some of your thoughts with me. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Head over to

The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online

JeffX is the thread handle of the guy you want to pay attention to (Jeff runs vtec.net). Jeff has driven basically every Honda and Acura made over the past however many years and he has driven basically all of the competition. On the front page right now there is his first drive review of all three versions of the TLX which is a good read.

He has also been driving a TLX SHAWD for the past few weeks. Here is that thread.

As per usual the threads over there can get sidetracked and full of crazies but I have come to trust what Jeff says about cars - he'll say if there is something he doesn't like and he's good at comparing old to new. The short version of things seems to be that Jeff likes the TLX but I would encourage you to read what he writes and make your own opinions.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
youzi....Welcome to Acurazine. As a32tl has stated very well, it is hard to make a decision based on people's feedback. I am a Canadian too and I did own a 2012 TL SH-AWD (auto), and many other Acura products in the past too.

The TLX is a GREAT car with lots of features and an amazing price point and you can't go wrong with it. There has been a few issues that many owners have reported but I am sure these will get rectified quickly. Acura can't afford to let the TLX's quality and success go by the way side. They have TOO much riding on this car's success.

As someone pointed out, NO car is perfect....the question is which one is best for you!? That is where we can help identify what to be aware and our experience so when you go for the test drive, you have some information to go with.

I love the brand and I am not giving on up on Acura, but I did decide to pass on teh TLX, at least for now. I am getting close to put my money on an IS 350 RWD F Sport but not until I see what the MMC ILX will look like. For me, the laggy throttle response is the deal breaker but to others, its not an issue.

Just make sure you test drive extensively and don't let the passion/emotion get in teh way of your objectivity. The TLX is 90% of the car I want/need but the 10% that is lacking were the part I needed/wanted the most in a car, so for me, it was a no go but I would lose all credibility on Acurazine if I said the the TLX was a bad car, because it isn't a bad car....
Old 10-23-2014, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

Go drive a BMW 435i and call it a day
Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
We are in the same boat. I am on my 41st month of a 39 month G37X lease and am still contemplating among the following cars which I have driven in the past month (all are AWD):
Q50 - Same drivetrain as the G37X still very sporty but the downside of the daily driver is that you feel every bounce. Interior is definitely a step up from the G37 but I have my personal bias against Infiniti given the pathetic residual value at the end of the lease being $5K under water. I have a bias against the Infiniti due to the lack of value.

BMW 428i Gran Coupe - High sticker but what a joy to drive, the transmission is fantastic and the paddle shifters are highly responsive as soon as you pull the left paddle for more power. I was also very impressed with the low end torque when you aren't driving overly aggressively. I also think the car looks fantastic. The downside is the high sticker ($53K) and other costs of ownership associated with German cars.

MB C300 4Matic - I was very impressed with the C300, it is light years ahead of all others in terms of interior refinement. The sport package also changed the feel of the car when you changed settings on the tablet screen. The one downside was the way the screen wasn't integrated and felt like a late addition to the car as many have said before. The ride was fantastic and like the BMW it had great low end torque (I know modern turbos but it is still nice and worth a mention). I have a great offer regarding the price of the car, but like the BMW, the long term cost of ownership and maintenance scares me.

The two I'm most considering

Lexus IS350 F-Sport - My personal favorite right now regarding handling and how lively the car is. I do not like the 6-speed for two reasons, 8-speed available in RWD (should be standard for an F-Sport) and the high rpm cruising compared to all others it competes against (don't ask, it's just a personal pet peeve) which also contributes to the 18/26 mpg rating, although you don't hear it in the car at all on the highway. The suspension and car as a whole is noticeably different when driving in varied modes. The paddle shifting is responsive as well and the gauges are great to look at. I really liked the interior and was shocked that the NuLuxe wasn't leather, given the feel of the material I was sure it was a very soft leather but hearing it wouldn't crease/crack was a positive after getting over initial shock. The best part of the car are the seats, I'm 5'9 145 lbs and they feel like heaven in terms of heavy bolstering and holding me in place. I'm also a big fan of the heated steering wheel and ventilated seats, I know the latter is available on the TLX but then it loses most of it's financial advantage over the others getting to the advance package. My girlfriend hates the placement of the cup holders since she had nowhere to rest her arm except in the cup holder on the test drive but it shows that this car was clearly made for the driver. I also liked the 'mouse' pad for navigation. I am curious how I'm going to feel about the looks of the F-Sport long-term but really like it now.

Acura TLX Tech - Value leader of the bunch bar far at the tech package level, I just went for my third test drive on the SH-AWD Tech package. For a long term drive with the tall 9th gear for great gas mileage and a quiet engine this is the ideal highway cruiser. I know it is the best dollar for dollar value of the cars I've reviewed but there are some areas that stand out in terms of how they achieved that. The engine could be a little more responsive but higher in the RPMs the power is not lacking, I think the paddles, which I read are several times faster than on the TL, could be significantly faster and the last review I read said the same. I'm not sure why but a pet peeve of mine is the door panel above where you grab the door and below the top level soft plastic, the leather has zero cushion/padding and you can knock on it which is really bad on a car at this level. The other area they skimped in my opinion is the arm rest, that center section below a certain level is all hard plastic that I didn't see in any of the other cars I've tested. The seats could use a lot more bolstering as they feel almost like bench seats to me, I know this could be partially due to my build.

That's my personal take and I will be getting one of them by 11/25/14 or be forced to extend until X-Mas day. I hope it didn't seem too negative on the Acura but I'm at the point where I'm nit-picking as I come down to my final decision. I am also down to the Lexus and Acura due to the high residual value and lower maintenance compared to the others (at least the Germans on maintenance costs as the Infiniti wasn't bad for 3.5 years). I'm no car expert but these were just my thoughts based on test drive(s) hearing my friend's experiences over the years and personal experience with the Infiniti.

Last edited by CollinR4; 10-23-2014 at 07:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CollinR4:
ITdude (10-23-2014), Toddo627 (10-23-2014), weather (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I am with you on the IS 350 F Sport!! I am 5'10 and even lighter than you....by quite a bit and for me, the cockpit feels so perfect!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 4thaccord
Hello and welcome. My personal opinion: the TLX is not a suitable replacement for the TL. It is a very nice replacement for the TSX. I was expecting it to be at least on the same level as the 4G TL, if not better, and it wasn't for me. So you too may be disappointed to find that even the TLX SHAWD version is not as nice as the 4G you enjoy.
I agree with this assessment of the TLX. My test drive was in a FWD V6 comparable to my 2010 TL Tech except for the newer tech features. Other than the improved ride and noise level I felt that it was a step down from the 4th gen TL. My personal direction lately has been away from a sporty car and more towards luxury and as a retiree that is probably not unusual. After 3 generations of TLs, and I loved them all, it is time to move on.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My philosophy , ever, ever there will be a better car than mine.
What i dont get is , when people have a Acura in mind theres 10 cars too.
Wonder if a MB , or BMW or Lexus owner think in Acura as a replacement.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Let us know how your test drive goes.

Post #29,999
Old 10-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
My philosophy , ever, ever there will be a better car than mine.
What i dont get is , when people have a Acura in mind theres 10 cars too.
Wonder if a MB , or BMW or Lexus owner think in Acura as a replacement.
Probably not that often would be my guess. However, you might have some people who would try to "jump" a tier by lets say comparing an RLX with a 3 series. But it's not likely that a 5-series buyer would seriously consider the RLX.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Don1
I agree with this assessment of the TLX. My test drive was in a FWD V6 comparable to my 2010 TL Tech except for the newer tech features. Other than the improved ride and noise level I felt that it was a step down from the 4th gen TL. My personal direction lately has been away from a sporty car and more towards luxury and as a retiree that is probably not unusual. After 3 generations of TLs, and I loved them all, it is time to move on.
I disagree as do many other posters here.. After owning both the 3G and 4G and then test driving he TLX several times, the TLX V6 is a step sideways and UP from the 4G just as the 4G was a step up for the 3G.

Of course this is my opinion only. FWIW
Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 AM
4th Gear

Here is the update:

I went for a test drive for a V6 SH-AWD Technology Package. I only had time to drive it for about 25 minutes; however, there were quite a few things I liked about the car. It was quiet, cabin had many user friendly features that aren't really typed in a brochure (Nice cellphone connectivity storage below center console, nice think steering wheel, plush elbow rest, etc). I did not notice the hesitation on the transmission that was observed by some (Though I am currently a 2.0L 150 HP CUV so anything is faster...). There were also some things I did not like as much such as the Acura infotainment UI. I personally find seat heater should be a physical button rather than touch screen.

I will go and try and test an Infiniti Q50 and see how it feels.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
What about test driving the TLX with an I4 to see the difference and experience both sides of the TLX. I have heard happy people on both sides.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Youzi, Have driven an 09 G37XS since new. Very disappointed with 13 and 14 Infiniti road noise, suspension, virtually no contact point feel with fly by wire steering and $1400 for run flats....a real turn-off. As much as I've loved my 09, Infiniti has gone south on cabin isolation, suspension, steering, handling, with no big improvements to what has been a "quirky at best" transmission since the start. Don't want to sound "anti" but instead of incremental improvements, they have messed with everything in disappointing ways.
I liked the C-class, except interior is over the top opulent and the i4 underwhelms, nice car overall, but $52k for an equipped 4 cylinder??? Just can't do it.
The Lexus, nice car, and like the Acura, I don't consider it a true "Sports luxury" no mater what the critics say...the performance just isn't there and it's cabin is just smaller and tighter in every way regardless of the advertised dimensions.
The Caddy...GREAT chassis....period....but $65K for the chassis worthy engine. Combine Caddy's quality issues with their poor residual value and it was the first I scratched off my list.
Audi, wonderful interiors without the over-the-top opulence....but here we go again with the ridiculous expensive option packs...scratch Audi.
BMW. 335ix or 4 series....best mix of handling, performance but still "German overpriced"
If the Euro dollar drops 10% as projected in the next 6 months, that with market competition may force price reductions.
Volvo 60...does everything well...but slightly underwhelming...ie, can't get feet under the back of the front seat. Fit and finish of Ford or Chevy. The new "E" engine will be a class leading game changer but won't be available till sometime next year.
Looks like the TLX for me. Not quite a "Sport luxury" but I really like the interior, it's quieter than the Merc, The 6 is a good compromise of power and gas mileage compared to the performance engines in the competition, it's priced right, historically good residual value, historically good reliability with Acura. And did I mention it has the most comfortable ride? On the highway it's just plain narcotic.
The following 6 users liked this post by JonfromCB:
4WDrift (11-01-2014), CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-30-2014), smoore (10-30-2014), Stew4HD (10-30-2014), Toddo627 (10-30-2014), wlkeel (10-30-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)