My TLX review, be warned long post

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
The Acura navi maps look dated and too pale, the contrast is weak and unless zoomed all the way in seeing the traffic info is not easy. The 16 Acord, Hyundai, Audi, just about anyone has more modern looking navi and interaction is better.

As for you McDonalds example that using the internal navi maps and that databse is out of date the minute you take the car home. Google is about as up to dat as anyone can expect so being able to get a list in real time of current data is far betetr than the built in navi. If you try the AcuraLink you have to wait 10-20 seconds while it makes the cellular call, then you get voice promoted asking you to select form the menu what you want, then you get to the online lookup and rather than return a list on a map/display it stars reading them to you one by one stating the address. Really do I know what street a give McDonalds is or whatever I am looking for?

The Audi you literally hit the button say "Online destinations McDonalds" and within 30-45 seconds there is a list on the screen and as you scroll through it they are highlighted on the map, extremely intuitive and simple. The online lookup of AcuraLink is useless, at least from the you can pull up the AcuraLink app use it to find places and then send that to the car. Still rather primitive, but it works.
Yeah, not arguing, just saying. I agree the little traffic indicator lines are silly - you almost have to stop to see them, so I don't even try.

I also turn up the contrast on my maps so they pop a little more. But just yesterday, I drove a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Honda Accord, and of the two, the Accord looked basically like my Acura and the Hyundai was washed out and showed no street name detail until zoomed into 700 ft scale.

In the last few weeks I drove a BMW 550i, a Cadillac CTS, a Ford Expedition and a Porsche Cayenne, all with nav, and of those the Caddy was good and the BMW was okay, but the Porsche was meh and the Ford had probably the best nav.

I've driven an Audi, and a buddy of mine has an A6, but I don't recall being knocked out with them ... and my buddy keeps his on sat view, which I think makes it less effective and hard to compare with 'normal' nav displays.

Back to my original question, though, I don't know what Honda/Acura could do to make the roads and streets on their maps look more modern. I hope they don't do like Lexus and make them more geometric than they really are!

EDIT: Oh, and I still don't want to have to pay extra to get a cellular connection in my car so I can use Google to find things. I already have that in the form of my cellphone, and I use it if I ever have to.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 10-24-2015 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (10-26-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
A few other minor points:

- Bluetooth, I love the Siri integration so much better at making calls and responding to texts than I imagined. Also my Audi woudl take 2-5 minutes to have the phonebook downloaded and ready to go, the TLX is ready in under a minute.

A few observations now that I have driven my TLX and her 16 RDX AWD Advance:

The RDX steering wheel is far better than the TLX, it is thicker and feels more solid where the TLX feels a little flimsy.

The 16 RDX impresses me more every time I drive it, even more than the TLX. The pre-mmc RDX ride was a little jittery and those horrible shocks. The 16 RDX they clearly tuned the suspension and shocks the ride is silky smooth and absorbs the road irregularities even better than the TLX. Also the engine tuning and new motor mounts in the 16 RDX are evident as the engine is silky smooth as well and no hint of any engine vibrations. The RDX has a more plants solid road feel than the TLX, and I hope in MMC the TLX gets more of tha old planted feel. The TLX ride clearly reminds me more of her old TSX than my old TLs, but just TSX side of a middle ground.

I am digging both Acuras and so far in 130 miles on tank #2 I am getting close to 27MPG, freaking amazing since same driving in my A6 would barley get 21.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Thanks for the report. Welcome back to the Acura fold. Glad you're enjoying your car. I really like the look of the TLX, but I'm hanging onto my 6MT 4G for the foreseeable future. Love that planted, SH-AWD feel coupled with the 6MT!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by carenthusiast
and further this is the first car ever owned that the voice activate enter address actually works time after time no nonsense...
i work in sales on the road and it is a pleasure every day, even having two microphones for bluetooth in car,
my 14 accord nobody can hear me so you think this is by accident that the engineers didnt know this, no its because they sweat certain details not others, and thats why i walked away from buying a tlx v6 tech for 379 month with 18,000 miles a year on a lease with 1400 down.
details that the a6 did sweat, i like the motor on the audi but mpg for me are done at 21mpg combined thats why went to the n20 motor 528 gets 32 mpg all day long at 78-80 highway and I'm getting 26 combined, my view brilliant
I have to say it, tongue planted firmly in cheek. Unlike German cars that are often over-engineered, causing mechanical breakdowns, your interesting opinions are sometimes lost in your under-engineered prose, causing significant literary breakdowns.
The following 6 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (10-26-2015), ggesq (10-26-2015), KeithL (10-26-2015), pnoi521 (02-24-2016), wlkeel (10-26-2015), youngTL (10-26-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thank you professor enjoy the day appreciate your rhetoric brilliant
Old 10-27-2015, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Sport mode

Correct, I have to get into the pedal hard to get up the hill, basically have to get the RPMs up there. Audi I just did a slight tip into the pedal.
You mentioned in your review that you drive mostly in Eco or Normal mode.
Try to switch IDS to Sport mode, and then try the same route. You might be surprised by the difference in throttle response.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate Mine

Biggest mistake I made. Far from luxury. Cannot wait for lease to be over.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

just responded on your post, you should have professors responding to you shortly to spell the word junk properly, sorry to hear you don't like your car the tlx is great try to enjoy it for being good practical fun, question how are you wheels stained with 5k, if you youtube detailers domain on youtube search for these guys, they have wheel products for sale on there websites and videos showing wheels being cleaned,
safe driving
Old 10-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Great review.

It was definitely an interesting read from me as I was considering an A6 before deciding on the TLX. Curious to see how you feel as time wears off, and the newness wears off.

I'm enjoying mine, and have no regrets with my decision.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tao Cbk
You mentioned in your review that you drive mostly in Eco or Normal mode.
Try to switch IDS to Sport mode, and then try the same route. You might be surprised by the difference in throttle response.
I drive in Normal mode and will be trying Sport soon. Normal works great all the time until I hit that steep hill.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Great review.

It was definitely an interesting read from me as I was considering an A6 before deciding on the TLX. Curious to see how you feel as time wears off, and the newness wears off.

I'm enjoying mine, and have no regrets with my decision.
I will post more comments as I hit various time/mile points. As I drive it more I enjoy it more. It will never be like my A6, but it is also $20K less and has almost all the same features. The one weak link is AcuraLink what a huge disappointment.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Intermediate

Test drove a 15 A6 Quattro yesterday and really enjoyed it. I personally think this car which is ready for a model make over in the coming years is getting old in the tooth but a great car. The technology, quality of materials and engineering with quattro and the composed suspension is what your paying 20k for. but your really not paying 20k to upgrade the tlx, you can buy the newly update 3 series bmw which has better technology, upgraded interior for 16, better suspension, equivalent handling, equivalent safety of tlx, included maintenance for 50k or4 years, 35 mpg highway, 25 city, high quality gauges, Rear or all wheel Drive, available heads up display for about 40k or optioned up little more. This comparison of an a6 to a tlx is like comparing a lexus Is, to a E class. Also for 45k the new gs200t lexus would be a option for those looking at the more expensive tlx v6 advanced. The other option to compare apples and apples is the 2017 A4 which has had a great release in europe and will be a class leading product to compare to the tlx
Old 10-28-2015, 06:25 AM
Intermediate

the suspension

should be more poised and refined of the a6 . like op said 20k more but below are technical specs of underpinnings of both vehicles they are not in the same class of car Wheelbase for
109.3 in (2775 mm) A6 114.6
Length
190.3 in (4832 mm) 194.2
Height
57.0 in (1447 mm) 57.8
Width
73.0 in (1853 mm)
Front Track
62.8 in (1596 mm) 64.1
Rear Track
63.1 in (1602 mm) 63.7
Old 10-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

I never said the A6 and TLX were in same class, but was comparing the pros and cons of my TLX and used the other cars I have owned as reference. Also the intent was to show how well the TLX holds up to cars costing substantially more. Also by you own specs posted other than 5 inch wheel base difference they are close in other dimensions.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I wouldn't put them in the same class either, but did consider an A6 prior to my purchase. After awhile, the thoughts about initial cost, depreciation, and fixes/maintenance on my daily steered me toward the TLX.

Definitely evaluate Sport mode. I much prefer its throttle response, and steering effort/feel. Sport + is useless for me. The revmatched downshifts leads to surging, and jerkiness which I hate.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good read! I'm actually considering either getting 16 honda accord or acura tlx. Both are beautiful rides and one of the major things I've never liked about my 07 TL type s is the Acura navi link. Sad to hear almost a decade later and the new TL are still hauling that navi around. It's still a very hard decision. I still have time until my type s sells....is anyone looking to buy a 07 tl type s??
Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good revoew, welcome back, i remember your name.
Actually i have an ATS4 3.6 performance, i like it. But now i do more mileage and may be soon i ll be back there with a tlx
Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cruz3468
Good read! I'm actually considering either getting 16 honda accord or acura tlx. Both are beautiful rides and one of the major things I've never liked about my 07 TL type s is the Acura navi link. Sad to hear almost a decade later and the new TL are still hauling that navi around. It's still a very hard decision. I still have time until my type s sells....is anyone looking to buy a 07 tl type s??
I was considering the Accord as well and left disappointed. The overall quality of the Accord didn't even feel as nice compared to my 2008 TL. No doubt it was an improvement over the previous years of Accord but its essentially a 9th gen Accord still, just more refined. I'd say my 08 TL drove better and was quieter which I found disappointing and ended up getting the TLX instead. Great car though, and extremely good value, but the fact that I felt my 8yr old TL was a better overall car, pointed me in the direction of the TLX.

Accord does have the TLX beat in two categories though; technology and value.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM
JT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Two comments on the Acura navigation:
I drive all sorts of cars in my part-time job, and see all sorts of map displays, and I can't find anything to fault Acura with. If anything, i applaud them for displaying more street names than just about anyone!
First off, OP, great review. Very informative and helpful. As to the above quote, I have to say that my first reaction is that it doesn't display *enough* street names. My wife's Grand Cherokee displays a lot more street names than my TLX. In fact, it seems like the TLX just randomly selects streets to name, as it will often pick 3 or 4, with no regard to how close they are, or how "big" (how many lanes) they are. Also, her Jeep shows speed limits, so... yeah.

I only have two other complaints (so far) with my TLX (SH-AWD Adv.):
  1. It drives me crazy that I must turn on LKAS, ACC, and Brake Hold every time, or turn off Auto Idle Stop every time. To be fair, the car is new, so the default setting may eventually be the one I desire, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to set my choice, and have it remembered.
  2. Siri Eyes Free is great and all, but what about us Android folks? Why can't I long-press the talk button to activate "Ok Google"? From what I've heard, it works for *some* Android phones, but I have a Nexus 6P, and it doesn't work there, so it doesn't support core Android, and must only support certain manufacturers (like Samsung). Seems like a *really* silly thing to leave off.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Damn, excellent review, well thought out and written. Thanks!
You verbalized some of what I felt in the 2 days of having a TLX FWD V6 loaner.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,597 Likes on 961 Posts
Amazing review...Very informative. Thank you and enjoy your Acura!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yours is a very well-articulated comparison, Keith. The TLX certainly seems to execute on all levels. I'd be in one now as a daily driver if not for the Sport Hybrid system (it really works well and seamlessly!) and bigger back seat of the RLX.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, I wish the styling on the RLX was a little more sporty and I might have gone for one. Of course if it had SH-AWD I probably would have been in one by now.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

This was an amazing review and thanks for taking the time to write it. I am currently looking and debating to take a tlx awd advance for 38 out the door. I live in Chicago so that including the 8.25 tax. Only problem is its a 2015.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, I should be writing my follow review soon as I just passed 4 months and about 3500 miles. A preview is mostly good, tranny would be my biggest complaint and some of the tech is weak which mostly fortifies what I said in my initial review.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, I should be writing my follow review soon as I just passed 4 months and about 3500 miles. A preview is mostly good, tranny would be my biggest complaint and some of the tech is weak which mostly fortifies what I said in my initial review.
Very curious about your follow up...
Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Will try to write it up this weekend.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

OK so I have my TLX almost 5 months and have about 4K miles on it. Time for an update to my review. First as to the tranny. I have a late build (9/15) car so most of the tranny issues are resolved, except for the downshifts that the new TSB will hopefully help. Regardless of what fixes they have implemented this tranny is a huge disappointment. I have found that living in Sport mode fixes many of the issues, but this thing still gets confused easily, lags and hunts. I can’t honestly believe Acura chose this tranny without knowing some of this. They had to be desperate to get decent MPGs in this segment with a V6. Sure it gets good MPG , I am getting 23-24 where my Audi averaged around 20.5, but really, give me lower MPG and better tranny any day. And lets also remember the A6 was a few hundred pounds heavier, had a super charger and full time AWD all eating gas. Not to mention it was a beast off the line. Where the TLX does shine is HWY MPG, but how many people drive pure highway?

The car has been trouble free and fit and finish are good, although not as good as my 4G TL. The leather seems sub-par and has started to wrinkle a little reminding me of my 3G TL, where my 4G TL had far superior leather that looked new after 2 years and 19K miles.

Let’s start with the power train. SH-AWD is what brought me to the TLX and is by far the single thing that help me overlook so many other things. The car has decent low end torque and pulls well through the power band. The tranny as mentioned, is the big letdown taking most of the fun out of driving the car. Punch the pedal and sometimes the tranny needs to think about what it wants to do. I truly feel for those of you that have early 15 tranny with all the problem because this is driving me nuts some times and if I had what you guys lived through I would have driven it through the dealers showroom to give it back.

The suspension is not as refined as the 4G, but not as stiff as the 4G AWD. The move away from DWB suspension is very obvious along with some rather questionable strut tuning.
The factor tires are a joke and for me bordered on unsafe in wet weather. I quickly replaced them with Continental DWS-05 UHP AS and WOW the car handles so much better. This is actually now fun to drive and throw it around when the tranny cooperates. I had Michelin AS/3 UHP on my Audi, but they did not last 17K miles so I tried the Contis and they are great! The car handles wet and dry like it is on rails.

As I mentioned in my original review Acura does an amazing job with HVAC, I set a temp and never have to change it regardless of season. My Audi and Infinti you always had to fiddle with temps as seasons changes to get the right comfort level.

The safety systems are a mixed bag, the LKAS seems great when it can lock onto the road markings, but it struggles and loses them easily. The CMBS system seems good and kicks in as needed, but wish they had a true full stop collision system, this system I believe will only get you down to 2-4 MPH or a 10MPH reduction or something like that, still enough to screw up the car decently. The BLIS is decent, but Audi has a far superior system. I find the Acura BLIS still leaves you wanting to look over your shoulder as I don’t always trust it. Also the ACC is quirky, but then I don’t use it often, but again I found the Audi’s ACC far superior.

The infotainment setup is the TLX Achilles heel after the tranny. While I go used to the dual screens, the layout is redundant and very dated looking. Also give me hard buttons for common HVAC like temps and recirculate. The Navi maps and infotainment displays are just not up to basically all the competitors, including lower segment vehicles like Chrysler and Ford. Also the Acura Link services are not worth the money. I wanted send to car, but not the way they do it. Acura really needs to look at basically everyone else and get a better Infotainment and online integration services. The ELS is very clean, but lack low end punch even with sub and bass all the way up unless you are at very high volumes.

Overall I am happy with my car, although I really wish they would stop screwing with silver and get Silver Moon back. The cars rides good, gets decent MPG and for my commute is a great value. The real question is would I get one again, that is a tough question. The AWD is great, but this tranny is horrible. The online services are very weak and the displays are too dated and monochromatic. Since I am in a 3 year lease I have about 2 - 2.5 years to ponder this and see where Acura takes the TLX at MMC. A Type-S with a different tranny and better online services could keep me in the family, but the competition is tough. I like the Chrysler 300 MMS it is a nice looking care, especially the sport package, I just don’t trust any Chrysler product, but on a lease I might gamble. Infinti Q50 is appealing as is the new Audi A4, but both will be a bit more cramped inside. On a scale of 1-10 I would probably give this car a 7-8, but I am being forgiving as the tranny alone should drag the score down to a 5-6 and the Acura Link and online service would drag it down as well more, but overall the car for this price point is an excellent value. Now this is mostly because of SH-AWD, if it were not for that I would never buy this car again as there are so many better alternatives that offer a better overall experience. Take out SH-AWD and I would struggle to give this car a 5 or 6.

There was a time when Acura stood out for quality, value, etc, but today the field is crowded and I think Acura’s strongest competition is not Infiniti o, Lexus, MB, BMW or Audi, but the Koreans. Hyundai and Kia are using the Acura playbook and that is to provide quality and value and a reasonable price point. Add in that Genesis will be adding models that will clearly compete direct with Acura dn I see Acura as the big loser. Some will always be attracted to a badge, so BMW, MB, Audi and Lexus will always be desirable, but Acura gets lost in the fray and Optima, and the newer Genesis models will make it harder for Acura to compete. Hopefully the soon to be released new MDX will give us a glimpse of where Acura is headed and that may give us hope or cause some of us to throw in the towel. The 16 RDX was encouraging, but did not go far enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
JT4 (03-08-2016), Sojournin (03-09-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Keith, do you have an appointment to get the latest update? I think only one or two people on here got it so far and were pretty happy with the results. I hope they bring it out for Canada too soon, because I want it. My transmission is fine, it's just that it does the gas on downshift thing that I find annoying. Mine doesn't gear hunt though, but I drive permanently in Sport, with a mix of about 20% of my driving in Sport+. I agree with you on infotainment and AcuraLink (even more useless in Canada). I think they were smart to axe the FWD V6 version of this car up here. My car also handles like it's on rails. In fact, it handles better than my old 2007 TL-S! I don't know why Acura chose to handicap it with shitty tires.

I'm fine with the dog clutches in the transmission, because they reduce driveline drag (you only get drag from the gears that are past that point and not before, ie: shifting into 5th removes the drag from the 1-4 part of the transmission), and a lot of my driving is either mixed city commute or full out highway where this matters a lot. I'm unimpressed by the gas on downshift thing it does, but I hope that when they finally bring the update to Canada it'll go away (and the TSB specifically addresses that issue).

Last edited by youngTL; 03-06-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I will more than likely skip this generation of the TLX. I'm about to end the lease on a 2013 TL SH-AWD in April. I will get another Acura but more than likely the MDX. I'm sure that it doesn't mean much, but I see several middle aged women and older gentleman more so than I did driving the 3G or 4G. Was that part of their desired target? Is that what "thrill" attracts these days? For the record, I was not a huge fan of the 3G til the type S came out. Needless to say, the 2g and 3g were type S models otherwise, I may not have purchased them.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
KeithL, as always, an excellent unbiased review. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
I'm sure that it doesn't mean much, but I see several middle aged women and older gentleman more so than I did driving the 3G or 4G. Was that part of their desired target? Is that what "thrill" attracts these days?
LOL. I'm 51 and own a TLX SH-AWD. Should have gotten a Buick or a maybe a Lincoln Towncar? 😄😄
Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Hell I am 55 and just learning I must be buying outside my age bracket ;-)

Oh and that new Buick concept ain't your grandpa's Buick, sign me up for one if the production car looks similar to the concept.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Hell I am 55 and just learning I must be buying outside my age bracket ;-)

Oh and that new Buick concept ain't your grandpa's Buick, sign me up for one if the production car looks similar to the concept.
I hear you and I'm 50 myself and I see much older drivers unless you are calling yourself old? For example, my mom is 70. Years back she was looking for a car. I showed her the 3g TL as she was a 5 cylinder TL owner once before.This was 10yrs ago. She said the 3g was too youthful looking. She bought a BMW535. Now she likes the TLX at 70 but she opted for the Lexus ES this time around. Correct on the Buick statements as its not your fathers or grandfathers Buick. Although, I have not purchased an American car since my Chevette in highschool

Last edited by keith7120; 03-11-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-12-2016, 11:52 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

TLX was on my list to replace my ATS, but all the reading on this forum and elsewhere on internet makes me choose other kind of car. Not the same category though. A 2016 mustang GT premium convertible.
I have another ford in my list. The new fusion sport AWD, as a winter beater :-)

Last edited by sebounet2005; 03-12-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Hell I am 55 and just learning I must be buying outside my age bracket ;-).
I am so far out of my age bracket I should be joining the Most Interesting Man in the World in a NASA buggy on Mars.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
The online services are very weak and the displays are too dated and monochromatic. Since I am in a 3 year lease I have about 2 - 2.5 years to ponder this and see where Acura takes the TLX at MMC. A Type-S with a different tranny and better online services could keep me in the family, but the competition is tough. I like the Chrysler 300 MMS it is a nice looking care, especially the sport package, I just don’t trust any Chrysler product, but on a lease I might gamble.

I agree, when we got my wife Grand Cherokee SRT we got a solid extended warranty for it....I would not gamble on a Chrysler product without one (if I buy, it does not matter if it's a lease) however I would not own any of the Germans outside of warranty anyway.
Potential long term reliability issues aside, the 2015 refreshed Chrysler LX cars (300 and Charger) are fantastic cars for the money....the only better buy on value in the segment other than the new Chrysler 300, incidentally, is indeed the Hyundai Genesis...a little bit bit more money but more modern engines and superior fit and finish but for some the styling is a bit too sedate.

There was a time when Acura stood out for quality, value, etc, but today the field is crowded and I think Acura’s strongest competition is not Infiniti o, Lexus, MB, BMW or Audi, but the Koreans. Hyundai and Kia are using the Acura playbook and that is to provide quality and value and a reasonable price point. Add in that Genesis will be adding models that will clearly compete direct with Acura dn I see Acura as the big loser. Some will always be attracted to a badge, so BMW, MB, Audi and Lexus will always be desirable, but Acura gets lost in the fray and Optima, and the newer Genesis models will make it harder for Acura to compete. Hopefully the soon to be released new MDX will give us a glimpse of where Acura is headed and that may give us hope or cause some of us to throw in the towel. The 16 RDX was encouraging, but did not go far enough.

I agree, the Koreans are cranking out impressive products...Kevin grandson Genesis Coupe is a killer car in its price bracket, the Optima is stylish and full of tech, the Genesis sedan it excellent and so on.

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-12-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree that the Koreans are putting an amazing package and great pricing. I have a little Accent with over 100 000 km with ZERO issues and rattle! I have never even replaced the brake pads....what a great little car for the price.

The only weakness in the Koreans is their handling/steering - They feel disconnected with the road and that seems to spread across the lineup. I drove many of them and I feel the same issue with a sloppy steering feeling....If they can tweak that a bit, they'll be unstoppable.

Sebounet....Felicitation pour ta Mustang! Great styling, lots of power and a fun car for sure.
The following users liked this post:
sebounet2005 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I agree that the Koreans are putting an amazing package and great pricing. I have a little Accent with over 100 000 km with ZERO issues and rattle! I have never even replaced the brake pads....what a great little car for the price.

The only weakness in the Koreans is their handling/steering - They feel disconnected with the road and that seems to spread across the lineup. I drove many of them and I feel the same issue with a sloppy steering feeling....If they can tweak that a bit, they'll be unstoppable.

Sebounet....Felicitation pour ta Mustang! Great styling, lots of power and a fun car for sure.
The original Genesis was a mess of a suspension and steering, but they have improved the suspension and the steering is getting better. I am sure over time they will be right there with everyone else.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by weather

The new Genesis sedan and the refreshed Genesis coupe are perfectly fine steering wise...they are not Porsches obviously but totally fine...