Just Got The Call - New Dealer Info!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by internalaudit
I thought the entire Acura line up will get an AWD version beginning in 2016 Colin? Sorry I may have missed the context from which you based your response.
You know, that thought was posted by one person only and never really collaborated by anybody else. However, except for the ILX it is close to being true. However, I was specifically replying to the thought that they might go backwards and add mechanical all-wheel-drive to the RLX.
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (07-07-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no reason why PAWS shouldn't be implemented across the entire Acura line - ILX included.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^^^ I agree completely. I'm guessing it would have to be an easy and low-cost way to further differentiate the Honda products from Acura. However, Colin's response is about AWD, not AWS, which have entirely different mechanics and cost associated to them. You can never say never, but based on all the other activity, design work, and product improvements Acura has ahead of them to accelerate the growth of their new lineup, I think it's safe to say SH-AWD wont come to the ILX, just yet.

P-AWS does not replace the SH-AWD experience, but it does make a big difference in the feeling of the drive and handling, and creates a much more satisfying and up-scale driving experience versus an Acura vehicle without P-AWS. I think you take P-AWS, ANC and a quieter cabin design, and now you've got an entry level vehcile that still shares the "luxury" drive, feel, and ambience of the larger cars in the lineup.

Aside from many things I like (and dislike) about my RLX...it is the driving experience (enhanced by P-AWS) that floats my boat everytime I get in the car. 1-year later and the fun hasn't worn out in the least bit.

Last edited by holografique; 07-06-2014 at 02:33 PM.
ReLaX (07-08-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 02:23 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Yup. Can't will 'em all. Seriously, they're selling 300 a month and adding more models means every dealer gets ... 1/2 a car in one color only? There is the MDX, RDX, TLX all available with AWD. If that doesn't suit some, there is a point where you have to quit.
Unfortunately, the market is fierce.

Many RLX competitors, such as 5-series, E-class, etc., are offering the AWD option in not just one, but multiple combinations of regular-production trim levels to the luxury sedan buyers.

But for Acura, there is no upgrade path for those loyal AWD TL/TLX owners who want to move up the premium scale to a bigger, more expensive, and more luxury AWD sedan.

Maybe this is another reason why Acura can never attain the premium status as the recognized true luxury auto brands, which also take care of the wealthy buyers (they're luxury brands, after all) who wanna move up to even more luxury AWD sedans all the time.

Fancy AWD systems add very little value to luxury vehicles buyers who simply want AWD traction for the brutal winter months.

Acura has stopped short and quit at the RLX level, when it could have used the proven mechanical SH-AWD that is readily available, instead of a fancy one that cannot be mass produced.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Unfortunately, the market is fierce.

Many RLX competitors, such as 5-series, E-class, etc., are offering the AWD option in not just one, but multiple combinations of regular-production trim levels ...

Maybe this is another reason why Acura can never attain the premium status as the recognized true luxury auto brands..
This is all true. But also remember that Mercedes and BMW will custom build cars. Something that Acura does not do. This makes it very easy to offer it even if you only sell a hundred a year. Acura cannot commit to a trim level at that volume level.

And so yes, this is why Acura may never attain premium status. So why try? Go back and be the best near luxury brand they can be. They need to recognize their limitations based on their manufacturing expertise and capitalize on their strengths (economies of scale by using shared chassis'). I believe the TLX represents this philosophy. All IMO of course.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
...it is the driving experience (enhanced by P-AWS) that floats my boat everytime I get in the car....

~260.
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
You know, that thought was posted by one person only and never really collaborated by anybody else. However, except for the ILX it is close to being true. However, I was specifically replying to the thought that they might go backwards and add mechanical all-wheel-drive to the RLX.
Mechanical AWD as in Honda AWD, or slightly something better Colin?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Every Acura sedan (heck even CUVS) should come standard with PAWS, and offer SHAWD in upgraded trim, simple as that. Cherry picking here and there is not good, this would be their calling card. Like Audi = Quattro, even their cheapest has it available.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Isn't the leather on the Advanced higher quality than the Tech? From the Advanced package the only thing I want is the ventilated seats. The remote start is nice as is the CMBS, but the rest I don't need. There is more in the Tech package than I was expecting. So I'll have to figure out if it is worth it to go from an I4 Tech @$35K to a V6 Advanced @$42K.
Same here.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by brutustlx
Every Acura sedan (heck even CUVS) should come standard with PAWS, and offer SHAWD in upgraded trim, simple as that. Cherry picking here and there is not good, this would be their calling card. Like Audi = Quattro, even their cheapest has it available.
Rumor is awd will be available for all models possibly by the '16 model year, along with led headlights.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Bring the TYPE-S out!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Today is the preorder date, and acura.com was only updated with pricing. ~:-| Called customer care, she said it would be updated when cars are actually released. How am I supposed to preorder without seeing colors from official samples or detailed info listed?

My 2005 TL has 140kmi, it was either a Lexus IS or this. Really liking the TLX. Either a Graphite or Black Copper Advance SH-AWD; does anyone know what Espresso leather will look like (med - dark)?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by motegi
Now that the stats are out we can see that the 2015 TLX loses about 5 cubic feet from the interior passenger volume of the 2014 TL . The trunk space remains roughly the same or slightly better depending on the trim level.

Somewhat more surprising is that the 2015 TLX passenger cabin is also slightly smaller than even the 2014 TSX at 93.3 vs 94.5 cu ft. The trunk volume on the TSX is nearly the same as the TLX Advance.

Here are the numbers:

2015 TLX
EPA Passenger Volume = 93.3 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume = 13.2 cu ft for base and Tech (14.3 cu ft for Advance)
EPA Total Interior Volume = 106.5/107.6 cu ft
Compared to

2014 TL
EPA Passenger Volume = 98.2 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume = 13.1 cu ft
EPA Total Interior Volume = 111.3 cu ft

2014 TSX
EPA Passenger Volume = 94.5 cu ft
EPA Cargo Volume = 14 cu ft
EPA Total Interior Volume = 108.5 cu ft

Are these confirmed?
Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Today is the preorder date, and acura.com was only updated with pricing. ~:-| Called customer care, she said it would be updated when cars are actually released. How am I supposed to preorder without seeing colors from official samples or detailed info listed?

My 2005 TL has 140kmi, it was either a Lexus IS or this. Really liking the TLX. Either a Graphite or Black Copper Advance SH-AWD; does anyone know what Espresso leather will look like (med - dark)?
I agree with you, 4WDrift. I'm near the end of my 2012 TSX and am finding it difficult to make decisions about the TLX when there are still no official color samples, wheel options or specifications available. At this point, no one seems to know whether the information on the "TLX Thrill" site is official or not. It mentions the slate silver metallic and black copper pearl exteriors colors as being new to this model. I have an appointment with a salesperson at my local dealer later this week but am not sure how I will be able to place a down payment with so many variables.

I was surprised to see that as of today they are offering up to a $1,000 loyalty reward (debit card) for returning customers in addition to the special lease/finance rates and $500 toward acccessories. I assume pre-purchase customers will probably pay full MSRP with $895 destination charge given these incentives.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
6G TLX-S

And so yes, this is why Acura may never attain premium status. So why try? Go back and be the best near luxury brand they can be. They need to recognize their limitations based on their manufacturing expertise and capitalize on their strengths (economies of scale by using shared chassis'). I believe the TLX represents this philosophy. All IMO of course.
I totally agree with you : "so why try ?"

However, Acura has never given up trying as evident by the way it sets the RLX's pricing scheme.

Even though the Acura brand doesn't have the premium luxury status as MB, BMW, and Lexus; but Acura has priced the RLX as if it does.

So, Acura is still trying, or else it is out of it's mind.

Now, the TLX pricing scheme is more inline with the Acura brand's near-luxury status, and looks like the sedan will be a lot more successful than the ill-fated RLX.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

I totally agree with you : "so why try ?"

However, Acura has never given up trying as evident by the way it sets the RLX's pricing scheme.

Even though the Acura brand doesn't have the premium luxury status as MB, BMW, and Lexus; but Acura has priced the RLX as if it does..
Or they priced the RLX to be profitable if the yen were 70 to the dollar (which it was when it was being designed). At 100 to the dollar, they're giving money back.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I am confused. I recall hearing the interior of the TLX was supposed to remain the same size as the current TL, but only the overall outside length would be a bit shorter.
Did we always know the interior size of the new TLX was going to be even smaller than the TSX?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pmartone
I am confused. I recall hearing the interior of the TLX was supposed to remain the same size as the current TL, but only the overall outside length would be a bit shorter.
Thats what we all thought.

Did we always know the interior size of the new TLX was going to be even smaller than the TSX?
We didn't know this until we got the specs a few days ago. The specs have been confirmed by some dealer sales staff as being distributed by Acura to present to their interested customers.

I'm thinking that they trimmed a few areas a little but that it will still seem airy/roomy even though the actual volume is smaller. Like how they lowered the dash line by sinking the navi display deeper into the dash. It improves the forward view but should also make it seem more open.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Keep in mind that this may still just be a typographical error on their website.

After all, Acura's SVP did announce during the unveiling of the TLX Prototype in Detroit that they "leveraged their packaging expertise to target the largest interior volume of any car in its segment".

I suppose that "targeting" doesn't necessarily mean that they hit the target but it seems like an odd thing to announce during the unveiling if it is actually smaller than even the TSX it replaces.

Also perhaps it depends on which segment that they intended to place this new vehicle in. Was the segment compact or midsize? Were they targeting the Lexus IS, BMW 3-series, and Audi A4? Or were they going after the Lexus ES and Audi A6 size?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Check out this video where a reviewer actually sits in the rear seat of the production version TLX at the NYAS and comments on the rear seat space compared to other sports sedans.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by motegi
Thats what we all thought.

We didn't know this until we got the specs a few days ago. The specs have been confirmed by some dealer sales staff as being distributed by Acura to present to their interested customers.

I'm thinking that they trimmed a few areas a little but that it will still seem airy/roomy even though the actual volume is smaller. Like how they lowered the dash line by sinking the navi display deeper into the dash. It improves the forward view but should also make it seem more open.
The places you feel it the most is headroom, shoulder room leg room etc. I'm not sure how 'EPA Passenger Volume' is calculated. It might account for thicker seat backs and bolsters etc. I'm not sure if the numbers on that web site are right or wrong. But you'll have to sit in it to feel if it is roomie enough for you. I can't believe they would shrink the interior that much. Many Accord reviewers comment on how roomie that car is and they used the same techniques to maximize the internal dimensions.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The places you feel it the most is headroom, shoulder room leg room etc. I'm not sure how 'EPA Passenger Volume' is calculated. It might account for thicker seat backs and bolsters etc. I'm not sure if the numbers on that web site are right or wrong. But you'll have to sit in it to feel if it is roomie enough for you. I can't believe they would shrink the interior that much. Many Accord reviewers comment on how roomie that car is and they used the same techniques to maximize the internal dimensions.
True. The Accord is truly quite roomy. At a calculated EPA passenger volume of 103.2 cu ft (119.0 cu total, pass+cargo) it is also nearly 10 cu ft larger than the 93.3 cu ft (107.6 total) of the 2015 TLX based on the numbers.

Its amusing that the Accord is larger overall than the outgoing TL (111.3 total) and the current RLX (117.0 total).

Last edited by motegi; 07-07-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
And the previous Accord ('08 - '12) was even larger, over 120 cu ft combined.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 AM
6G TLX-S

Or they priced the RLX to be profitable if the yen were 70 to the dollar (which it was when it was being designed). At 100 to the dollar, they're giving money back.
The North American luxury sedan buyers don't give a damn whether Honda/Acura is making or losing money, just because the Japanese government is deliberately devaluing the Japanese Yen against the US dollar, in order to dump it's export goods cheaply into other importing countries.

After all, these North American buyers walk into North American Acura dealerships and see only the stickers on the RLX sedans in US dollars.

They will also see that even though the Acura brand isn't perceived in North America as a true luxury brand, but the hefty US pricing on the RLX is reflecting the opposite.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 AM
Suzuka Master

The North American luxury sedan buyers don't give a damn whether Honda/Acura is making or losing money, just because the Japanese government is deliberately devaluing the Japanese Yen against the US dollar, in order to dump it's export goods cheaply into other importing countries.

After all, these North American buyers walk into North American Acura dealerships and see only the stickers on the RLX sedans in US dollars.

They will also see that even though the Acura brand isn't perceived in North America as a true luxury brand, but the hefty US pricing on the RLX is reflecting the opposite.
Whatever dude. This has nothing to do with TLX anymore and you're not even acknowledging there is a difference in the cost of money regardless of the politics responsible for it. We all know the RLX is overpriced, we all know they're giving money back. What is the problem? Wait, don't answer since it has nothing to do with the TLX.
a35tl (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
So I've started contacting dealers in SoFL regarding deals on the TLX and so far have gotten this response back from the dealer I purchased my last 2 TL's:

"The lease for a TLX tech White is : 36 x 499+ tax . lease w/10k miles. Lease will require a total of $ 1495 at signing"

This doesn't seem to coincide with the "initial" deals Acura is promoting via the "Advantage" program and it may not have been meant to be. In any event, I have inquiries into 3 other dealerships so I'll most likely pass on this offer as I think I can do better somewhere else. Thought this info might be of interest to initial purchasers.
bdwpac81 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
So I've started contacting dealers in SoFL regarding deals on the TLX and so far have gotten this response back from the dealer I purchased my last 2 TL's:

"The lease for a TLX tech White is : 36 x 499+ tax . lease w/10k miles. Lease will require a total of $ 1495 at signing"

This doesn't seem to coincide with the "initial" deals Acura is promoting via the "Advantage" program and it may not have been meant to be. In any event, I have inquiries into 3 other dealerships so I'll most likely pass on this offer as I think I can do better somewhere else. Thought this info might be of interest to initial purchasers.
Here is where I think the difference may be.

The quote you rec’d of $499 / 36 months with $1,495 down is for a 3.5 Tech.

While the Advantage program is $349 / 36 month with $2,499 down is for a 3.5 Base.

Without getting into residuals, money factors etc. Between the $1,000 less down payment and $4,000 higher price ($39,250 vs. $35,220) for a Tech TLX I think there is your difference, or part of it..

Let's us know if you get any other info..
The following 2 users liked this post by JT4:
bdwpac81 (07-08-2014), Oswald Vater (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So fog lights are only included in the Advance package??
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Here is where I think the difference may be.

The quote you rec’d of $499 / 36 months with $1,495 down is for a 3.5 Tech.

While the Advantage program is $349 / 36 month with $2,499 down is for a 3.5 Base.

Without getting into residuals, money factors etc. Between the $1,000 less down payment and $4,000 higher price ($39,250 vs. $35,220) for a Tech TLX I think there is your difference, or part of it..

Let's us know if you get any other info..
You are probably right but when I asked the salesman in my original post what the Tech package pricing was he quoted me the $349 price. He no doubt misread the information. So much for getting my hopes up! Hopefully someone will come back with a better deal than I mentioned though and I'll let you know if and when they do.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Interior room

So I think the new TLX has some pluses for it, but I agree with some on here that the interior room being smaller than the TSX is a bit concerning. I traded in my 3G TL a few years back because the backseat was getting really cramped with car seats, so I'm a bit surprised the vehicle has gotten even smaller.

Which leads me to my question on where Acura may be trying to position the TLX. In the past the TL was positioned in between the 3-series and 5-series, but it would now seem the TLX is focused solely on the 3-series and other comparable size sedans. Does that then put the RLX positioned against the 5-series, which would then suggest Acura has room for a true halo car to compete against the 7-series.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
A dealer in the Atlanta area quoted me a lease price of $518/mo for a silver TLX Tech with $2,500 down. 15K annual miles. This was a bit higher than I had expected and I plan to check with some competitors later this week. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also was under the impression the lease special of $349/mo was for the 3.5 tech model. Who would pay $500+ for a TLX when you can get into a GS350 F Sport for that?! Acura better not price themselves out of the market with these.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by bdwpac81
A dealer in the Atlanta area quoted me a lease price of $518/mo for a silver TLX Tech with $2,500 down. 15K annual miles. This was a bit higher than I had expected and I plan to check with some competitors later this week. I'll keep everyone posted.
Which dealer?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
when do dealers get demo cars? Also i'm surprised no test drive reports have come out....
Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
when do dealers get demo cars? Also i'm surprised no test drive reports have come out....
I suspect they will get them just before on sale date, since production slipped.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
6G TLX-S

Whatever dude. This has nothing to do with TLX anymore and you're not even acknowledging there is a difference in the cost of money regardless of the politics responsible for it. We all know the RLX is overpriced, we all know they're giving money back. What is the problem? Wait, don't answer since it has nothing to do with the TLX.
Oh yes. This has everything to do with the TLX and future Acura sedans, especially with their US pricing.

We both agree that the Acura brand should NOT try to attain a premium status. But Acura never STOP trying as evident by the hefty US price tag on the RLX.

We too agree that we all know the RLX is overpriced, and that Acura is offering huge rebate on the RLX as a remedy. But rather than continuing to promote the RLX's popularity, Acura is , on the contrary, cutting back and suspending the RLX's production.

It looks like Acura has finally learned from the failure of the RL/RLX, and decides to price the TLX to be more inline with the auto brand's near-luxury status.

This is all good news for us as consumers looking into buying the TLX and all future Acura sedans.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

We too agree that we all know the RLX is overpriced, and that Acura is offering huge rebate on the RLX as a remedy. But rather than continuing to promote the RLX's popularity, Acura is , on the contrary, cutting back and suspending the RLX's production.
I am a bit conflicted here. The RLX is in the same position the CTS is in, they grew the car up to be like the Tier 1 players, but then put a Tier 1 badge price on it. I Think the RLX is not too over priced. Had it had SH-AWD then I think the prices points are more acceptable, with the exception of what "value" people place on a $61K car, even well equipped, against even $65K German car.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
You are probably right but when I asked the salesman in my original post what the Tech package pricing was he quoted me the $349 price. He no doubt misread the information. So much for getting my hopes up! Hopefully someone will come back with a better deal than I mentioned though and I'll let you know if and when they do.
^^ Yeah i think you're right, he must of jumped the gun and misread the info..
Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by KeithL
I am a bit conflicted here. The RLX is in the same position the CTS is in, they grew the car up to be like the Tier 1 players, but then put a Tier 1 badge price on it. I Think the RLX is not too over priced. Had it had SH-AWD then I think the prices points are more acceptable, with the exception of what "value" people place on a $61K car, even well equipped, against even $65K German car.
Exactly, if Acura had priced an AWD RLX at $50K, rather than a FWD RLX at $50K, then the RLX would have become a more attractive alternative to premium sedan buyers.

In fact, the RLX is a very good car, and is better equipped.

But one important point that most often overlooked is that, where German luxury sedan buyers custom order their luxo sedans, they only order the options they want/need, and therefore it ends up that the custom-optioned German luxo sedans are even cheaper in price than the comparable fixed-trim-optioned RLX.

Very few German luxury sedan buyers order their luxo sedans loaded with every possible option available from the feature sheets.

But Acura does. For those who want only the "ventilation seats" in their RLX, they are forced to go for the $$$$$ trim model.

In addition, the Acura brand is also not a recognized true luxury brand as the German ones, and thus can only command a much lower price point than the luxury German ones.

So even though the current RLX is not too overpriced, it is still overpriced.

One can lie, and one can hide. But the monthly sales figures tell all.

A comparison with the CTS will only further reinforce the fact that RWD chassis and V8 engine option are a must in order to venture into the true-luxury sedan arena.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Acura. Please wake up !
Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
The problem with the RLX is that, at $50k, people have the choice to either drive an RLX, or a BMW 335i decently loaded. Unfortunately for Acura, most would rather get a smaller car with less luxury just to get the badge. To be fair, a decently loaded 335i is a really nice car.

This doesn't apply to the TLX since at $35k, the TLX is a very well rounded car. For the same amount of money, you can barely get a base 320i.
KeithL (07-08-2014)

Quick Reply: Just Got The Call - New Dealer Info!