Ignorant buyers not understanding VCM / complaining about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
The 8DCT that was replaced was a 4 cyl. We have yet come across a 9 speed problem yet. As stated before, my sample is ~1.1 % of production.

Amazing how members believe changing 1 item is so easy. Forget about the contract with the supplier that was negotiated, forget about the production line assembly, forget about the wasted money in produced parts, forget about the goverment and epa. It is not BurgerKing where you can place an order and the cashier inputs the order to the cook reading the monitor and makes your meal.

As stated, it is a domino effect.
Burger King would be a Kia... which would shift better actually.

Acura should be a little classier. Not made to order, but at least made to not piss off. And if they did, they should correct the order.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
My build date is 03/15. I did not test drive my vehicle and it was 131 days in inventory when I pulled the trigger. It was the end of the month at closing time and we needed 1 more sale to hit our objective. I was between the blue and white. I was sick of the TSX 4 cyl acceleration and wanted a V6. So in less than 10 minutes I was signed up and driving my TLX. Keep in mind I already bought vehicles so all my information was in the computer. Input my stock number, click my trade and hit print.

The trans did feel different the 1st few days but I am aware that it adapts. Wasn't really concerned as I was thrilled with the quietness, acceleration and better audio. Oops that can be a sore subject. ANC has many upset but my sounds great. I even disconnected it as many said it sound better off. But not mine. It sounds better on.

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Joflewby: What is your car's build date? You posted this on 9/13/15. It sounds like you are trying to "sell" upset 9 speed owners on the fact that Acura put a BS transmission in this car. Or at least trying to offset those that truly do have an issue.

This was posted in the 9 speed 2-3 thread.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:08 AM #428
joflewbyu2
Registered Member

Trader Rating: (0)
The first day after trading my 14 TSX, the V6's 9 speed auto felt different. Now it has been 1 week and I do not notice anything. I believe the trans adapted to my driving. I find the car fun and much much more powerful the the 4 cyl TSX. Filled up already and 1st tank average was only 2 mpg less than my TSX. I would take the power and 9 speed anyday over the TSX. The TSX was at 2300 rpm at 70 and the TLX is at 1500 rpm at the same speed. Quieter, smoother and handles much better with P-AWS than the TSX ever did.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Funny you mention Kia. We had a Hyundai Genesis traded in with 20k mi that was 2 years old. It was only $22k and I thought, shoot that is too good to pass up. Plus in 3 years I can give it to my daughter. Drove it home for 3 days. I would never buy a Hyundai/Kia product after that. Sure it looks good and had all the features that compare and then some. But electrical gremlins emerged - audio, bluetooth and lighting and the handling and brakes left a lot to be desired. Btw, it was never in a collision nor flood. I knew the previous owner.

Burger King would be a Kia... which would shift better actually.

Acura should be a little classier. Not made to order, but at least made to not piss off. And if they did, they should correct the order.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Instructor

My build date is 03/15. I did not test drive my vehicle and it was 131 days in inventory when I pulled the trigger. It was the end of the month at closing time and we needed 1 more sale to hit our objective. I was between the blue and white. I was sick of the TSX 4 cyl acceleration and wanted a V6. So in less than 10 minutes I was signed up and driving my TLX. Keep in mind I already bought vehicles so all my information was in the computer. Input my stock number, click my trade and hit print.

The trans did feel different the 1st few days but I am aware that it adapts. Wasn't really concerned as I was thrilled with the quietness, acceleration and better audio. Oops that can be a sore subject. ANC has many upset but my sounds great. I even disconnected it as many said it sound better off. But not mine. It sounds better on.
I totally agree with the better audio (coming from 2014 Mazda 6 GT, the Bose was lacking), ANC is amazing (if some people dislike, at least they can fix that, unlike the transmission), and the car is so freaking quiet, it is scary. This is the smoothest ride I have ever owned, after the car shifts past 5th gear.

See! We agree on some things!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Funny you mention Kia. We had a Hyundai Genesis traded in with 20k mi that was 2 years old. It was only $22k and I thought, shoot that is too good to pass up. Plus in 3 years I can give it to my daughter. Drove it home for 3 days. I would never buy a Hyundai/Kia product after that. Sure it looks good and had all the features that compare and then some. But electrical gremlins emerged - audio, bluetooth and lighting and the handling and brakes left a lot to be desired. Btw, it was never in a collision nor flood. I knew the previous owner.
I have a transmission gremlin.

And are you sure that the electrical issues with the Hyundai aren't just "different" and that owners should "adapt" to them?.... along with the handling and brakes?..
Old 09-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Instructor

ATXTLX, the Hyundai issues were enough that I did not buy it. Long time ago, I traded a 05 Suburu STI for a 6.0 litre Pontiac GTO. WoW, I went from 305 hp to 400 hp. I was in heaven for a week. I realized it was not as fun as the STI nor did it drive as good. I knew I would not be happy. So I sold the car the 3rd week for a $3,000 loss. Wound up getting a 06 TL Navi that proved to be fun.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Instructor

ATXTLX, the Hyundai issues were enough that I did not buy it. Long time ago, I traded a 05 Suburu STI for a 6.0 litre Pontiac GTO. WoW, I went from 305 hp to 400 hp. I was in heaven for a week. I realized it was not as fun as the STI nor did it drive as good. I knew I would not be happy. So I sold the car the 3rd week for a $3,000 loss. Wound up getting a 06 TL Navi that proved to be fun.
I have a TLX you can buy.. Great transmission. Flawless and smooth..

If I could trade mine and not be $5000 upside down, I would. This is not the transmission I paid $43,000 for. It is an impostor that deceived me until it was too late.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Instructor

One more point to make. I have the original brochure for the TLX, from when I bought it. (New Years Eve, 2014)

It states: "On V-6 models, the SMOOTH-SHIFTING, 9-speed, pushbutton automatic transmission marries performance with comfort, accommodating diverse driving scenarios with a wide range of gear ratios."

Today, if you go to the Acura website, and look at the description of the 9 speed V-6 it states:

"In the TLX 3.5, you don’t have to wait for the sweet spot to show up. It never leaves. With nine gears conducting a 290-hp i-VTEC® symphony, you’ll experience seamless acceleration and maximum efficiency. At 70 mph, you’re under 1,600 rpm, perhaps using only three-cylinders, thanks to Variable Cylinder Management™. But when you want power, it is there. Woe to the Class-A RV (or German sports coupe) sightseeing on your favorite set of twisties. It’s always quietest right before the storm."

So, what happened to smooth shifting? You tell me that is not bait and switch. Acura seems to have changed its tune about the smooth shifting, huh?..

This transmission was not meant to be a clunker. Acura thought it was a smooth transmission. Then they changed their minds when they realized a percentage was not performing as planned.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Instructor

If you want to stay with Acura, you could look at the RDX or RLX which both have the 6 speed tranny. Hint, best deal out there is 1 pay lease on RLX. Big incentive and big rate discount.

I have a TLX you can buy.. Great transmission. Flawless and smooth..

If I could trade mine and not be $5000 upside down, I would. This is not the transmission I paid $43,000 for. It is an impostor that deceived me until it was too late.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Instructor

If you want to stay with Acura, you could look at the RDX or RLX which both have the 6 speed tranny. Hint, best deal out there is 1 pay lease on RLX. Big incentive and big rate discount.
If I could go back in time, and repurchase, I don't think I would even stay with Acura. Not with how they have handled the many complaints about this 9 speed transmission. Its like they are covering something up.

Last edited by ATXTLX; 09-23-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I was dumb about RLX transmissions
Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Advertising department. I don't think they dropped it for the same reason you do. I think the current description gets the point across better that it has a powerful V6 that is very efficient thanks to a 9 speed.

I believe seamless and smooth are similar use adjectives in the descriptions.

One more point to make. I have the original brochure for the TLX, from when I bought it. (New Years Eve, 2014)

It states: "On V-6 models, the SMOOTH-SHIFTING, 9-speed, pushbutton automatic transmission marries performance with comfort, accommodating diverse driving scenarios with a wide range of gear ratios."

Today, if you go to the Acura website, and look at the description of the 9 speed V-6 it states:

"In the TLX 3.5, you don’t have to wait for the sweet spot to show up. It never leaves. With nine gears conducting a 290-hp i-VTEC® symphony, you’ll experience seamless acceleration and maximum efficiency. At 70 mph, you’re under 1,600 rpm, perhaps using only three-cylinders, thanks to Variable Cylinder Management™. But when you want power, it is there. Woe to the Class-A RV (or German sports coupe) sightseeing on your favorite set of twisties. It’s always quietest right before the storm."

So, what happened to smooth shifting? You tell me that is not bait and switch. Acura seems to have changed its tune about the smooth shifting, huh?..

This transmission was not meant to be a clunker. Acura thought it was a smooth transmission. Then they changed their minds when they realized a percentage was not performing as planned.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Advertising department. I don't think they dropped it for the same reason you do. I think the current description gets the point across better that it has a powerful V6 that is very efficient thanks to a 9 speed.

I believe seamless and smooth are similar use adjectives in the descriptions.
Well, seamless or smooth it is not. That is easy to discern and not one bit subjective.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Instructor

If you are having an issue, why don't you have the DSM and service mgr ride and drive in the car with you. They have the authority to arrange for an engineer to visit the dealership and help correct the issue. If they can not correct the issue, there are steps to take that can get you satisafaction.

Well, seamless or smooth it is not. That is easy to discern and not one bit subjective.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Or go with 16 Honda Touring sedan if you like the size of the TLX. That vehicle too has the 6 speed transmission.

If I could go back in time, and repurchase, I don't think I would even stay with Acura. Not with how they have handled the many complaints about this 9 speed transmission. Its like they are covering something up.

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 09-23-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey guys. Why waste your breath on this guy. He is a salesman ( they will sell you anything working or not). I love my TLX and at time does experience that hard shift which I have gotten use to and no longer bother me ( I ignore it and think about my day with a manual) . I do dislike the second delay in downshift but all well. We bought our TLX due to love at first sight. But once we brought it home, can't take it back. Most of us bought an Acura or Honda as long time loyal fan of the brand. I am one of those guy. I just hope Acura does not let us coming up with a fix. Will I buy a TLX today knowing the issue, (less likely), and would have look at other brand. But for now, I'm gonna enjoy my TLX as is.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Here's a thought. Being around these for over a year now, why would I get a TLX V6 on 08/31/15 if I ever came across an issue? If I knew of any problems I would have gotten a RDX or RLX with a 6 speed. I am short of words and hope those that feel like they might have an issue get it rectified.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a thought. Being around these for over a year now, why would I get a TLX V6 on 08/31/15 if I ever came across an issue? If I knew of any problems I would have gotten a RDX or RLX with a 6 speed. I am short of words and hope those that feel like they might have an issue get it rectified.
This is a much better response of your part. I do hope that Acura does rectified this issue. And just so you know, if I knew at the time of purchase of any transmission issue, I would have waited. RDX and RLX is not for us folk who purchase a TLX. I would have look at the IS, C, or 3.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Vteck_10
This is a much better response of your part. I do hope that Acura does rectified this issue. And just so you know, if I knew at the time of purchase of any transmission issue, I would have waited. RDX and RLX is not for us folk who purchase a TLX. I would have look at the IS, C, or 3.
The IS is similarly priced to the TLX (a little more but not a ton more).

The RLX is too much money for most of us and it's stying is extremely bland in my opinion. I didn't even consider the German cars. I tend to keep my cars for a long while and maintenance is generally $$$.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
If you are having an issue, why don't you have the DSM and service mgr ride and drive in the car with you. They have the authority to arrange for an engineer to visit the dealership and help correct the issue. If they can not correct the issue, there are steps to take that can get you satisafaction.
It sounds so simple doesn't it... just complain and the issue will be fixed. Why didn't all these folks think of that? The truth is when they complain they run into people just like you. They deny the problem exists, they give the Standard Acura Answer #1 "that is normal behavior for this car" and they can't get any further. Those that aren't deterred by the Standard Acura Answer #1 and call the central customer support like and open a case never seem to get any resolution.

If this issue were so rare, then Acura could easily offer to trade out these cars for a new one, or offer to by them back. But they don't because financially they can't take that kind of hit.
The following users liked this post:
boe_d (09-27-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Instructor

It is very simple. Read your lemon law book. If you have a case, you follow the steps outlined to have an independent board listen and review your issue. If the board decides in your favor, the manufacturer is forced to buy back or settle the case. I have had several people in the past year - 2 with Infiniti and 1 with Ford win and come in after and lease/purchase Acura. When with Saab in the mid 90s, Saab settled just about every complaint before it ever went to review board. We sold 5 TLXs today, 4 V6 models and 1 4 cyl. All test drove great. I appraised a 2010 TL today. Every shift was harsh compared to my TLX.

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It sounds so simple doesn't it... just complain and the issue will be fixed. Why didn't all these folks think of that? The truth is when they complain they run into people just like you. They deny the problem exists, they give the Standard Acura Answer #1 "that is normal behavior for this car" and they can't get any further. Those that aren't deterred by the Standard Acura Answer #1 and call the central customer support like and open a case never seem to get any resolution.

If this issue were so rare, then Acura could easily offer to trade out these cars for a new one, or offer to by them back. But they don't because financially they can't take that kind of hit.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Apple fanboys say when their is feature missing- everyone is ignorant for wanting that feature and no one needs it (until 3 years later when they finally offer the feature Samsung has had for years). MS says a glitch or a bug is a feature and then claim either no one is experiencing that issue or it was designed that way on purpose as a security feature until the next revision where they somehow don't care about that security problem any more. I hate fanboyism and double speak. I see a lot of fanboyism here sadly. The only changes acceptable are a 500HP engine, exposed rear tailpipes and 27" wheels. Any other feature request or improvement is CRAZY. I'm fine with people wanting things I don't care about - it is the derisive comments from particularly outspoken members that ruins this place.

Last edited by boe_d; 09-27-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts

I opened a case with ACR back in February. All they have ever done was, at first they'd write back and call me only to apologize that I am having trouble,. Nothing more. The local area Acura rep just made excuses for the transmission saying in essence that "it (the transmission) just has so much it's trying to do at the same time, I should be patient with it."
Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Once again it is very simple. If you believe you got a lemon, follow the steps that your state outlines for lemon law. It has nothing to do with ACR.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I opened a case with ACR back in February. All they have ever done was, at first they'd write back and call me only to apologize that I am having trouble,. Nothing more. The local area Acura rep just made excuses for the transmission saying in essence that "it (the transmission) just has so much it's trying to do at the same time, I should be patient with it."
Old 10-01-2015, 02:11 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I don't have a horse in this race since I don't have a TLX, but I have to say that the OP is the most arrogant, ignorant person I have ever come across. And believe me I have met my share.

I would be shocked if he really does work for Acura. If he does, Acura needs to find out who he is and and have a "long talk" with him in regards to his non-exisistant customer service and people skills. Is this someone that Acura wants representing them..

Standing behind the brand is one thing, and I can respect that. But what the OP does is on another level. For him to tell an Acura owner to "Lemon Law" his car if he's not happy with it, and that this trans issue is not an ACR issue is mind boggling..

So even though there are numerous TSB's (even though none of us know what a TSB really is according to him) the problem is the owners not understanding how the car works...

What a load of Bulls**t
Old 10-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

why would people do that? unless they're absolute Acura fanatic, why spend $$$ on old technology even though you may feel it's better than the new tech
Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
isnt new tech supposed to be better?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Take a remedial reading class. I stated if they believe there is a problem and Acura can't fix it, then seek satisfaction via lemon law. Buyers not understanding a dog clutch, VCM and an operational design should not assume a problem. Funny how I have yet come across a complaint yet. Yes the 9 speed will have a different shift feel for different gears due to the dog clutch which is very efficient. Many have no idea who and what ACR is and what they can and can't do. And my CSI is top rated when I was selling in the 90s and at the dealerships that I manage. And if you know what a TSB is and not just what it stands for, please expand you knowledge how it relates legally to manufacturers. Amazing how Acura's most popular selling models have the 9 speed. Suggesting trading to Acura's 6 speed RDX and RLX is a solution to those who do not want to accept the 9 speed feel yet. I would never look back after driving the 9 speed. Sure it felt different the first 2 or 3 days I drove it. Now the 6 speed feels antiquated.
If you don't like it, trade it. It is not the last and only car you can buy. Why stew over it and be miserable. I bought a 05 GTO and hated it. Sold it in 3 weeks. Had a 12 Hemi charger and sold it after 6 weeks. After many many cars 50+ in the last 30 years, The Honda and Acura are the ones I liked best and miss. Even my motorcycles, the Honda models are my favorite.

Originally Posted by JT4
I don't have a horse in this race since I don't have a TLX, but I have to say that the OP is the most arrogant, ignorant person I have ever come across. And believe me I have met my share.

I would be shocked if he really does work for Acura. If he does, Acura needs to find out who he is and and have a "long talk" with him in regards to his non-exisistant customer service and people skills. Is this someone that Acura wants representing them..

Standing behind the brand is one thing, and I can respect that. But what the OP does is on another level. For him to tell an Acura owner to "Lemon Law" his car if he's not happy with it, and that this trans issue is not an ACR issue is mind boggling..

So even though there are numerous TSB's (even though none of us know what a TSB really is according to him) the problem is the owners not understanding how the car works...

What a load of Bulls**t
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

You made a mess and now you think you can step around your silly accusations by blaming us? silly
Old 10-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Absolutely. Wider 9.81 range compared to the 6 speeds 6.0 range. 15% better fuel efficiency. Quicker acceleration. Lighter weight. More compact. Lost the silly shifter for more intuitive push button. Opened up the center console. Win win win the 9 speed. Yes, I am thrilled with mine. Glad to have the VCM 6 over a small turbo 4 which many manufacturer's have switched over to. STI was fun but same time to 100 mph (13 sec) and to 130 mph (24 sec) while more work rowing through the 6 speed manual in an uncomfortable car making a lot more noise.

Originally Posted by justnspace
isnt new tech supposed to be better?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Instructor

I see you took my advice and moved into the RLX for the small amount more than a SH-AWD TLX. Enjoy it. After driving them both, I preferred the fwd v6 tech TLX.

You made a mess and now you think you can step around your silly accusations by blaming us? silly
Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I see you took my advice and moved into the RLX for the small amount more than a SH-AWD TLX. Enjoy it. After driving them both, I preferred the fwd v6 tech TLX.
You had nothing to do with my decision. Nice try though. Keep making excuses for the TLX though. It suits you well.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Some people are not into the tech stuff. RLX is a larger model with lots more rear leg room which might appeal to some buyers. I wanted better fuel economy, softer ride and the 9 speed which is the reason I went with the TLX. RLX deals are enticing. If I was shopping deals only, RLX would have won.

Originally Posted by kevTL888
why would people do that? unless they're absolute Acura fanatic, why spend $$$ on old technology even though you may feel it's better than the new tech
Old 10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Instructor

No excuses needed. There is a reason the TLX is outselling the 4G TL and the current RLX. Buyers love the car. Reminds me of when the 99 TL came out.

You had nothing to do with my decision. Nice try though. Keep making excuses for the TLX though. It suits you well.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Take a remedial reading class. I stated if they believe there is a problem and Acura can't fix it, then seek satisfaction via lemon law. Buyers not understanding a dog clutch, VCM and an operational design should not assume a problem. Funny how I have yet come across a complaint yet. Yes the 9 speed will have a different shift feel for different gears due to the dog clutch which is very efficient. Many have no idea who and what ACR is and what they can and can't do. And my CSI is top rated when I was selling in the 90s and at the dealerships that I manage. And if you know what a TSB is and not just what it stands for, please expand you knowledge how it relates legally to manufacturers. Amazing how Acura's most popular selling models have the 9 speed. Suggesting trading to Acura's 6 speed RDX and RLX is a solution to those who do not want to accept the 9 speed feel yet. I would never look back after driving the 9 speed. Sure it felt different the first 2 or 3 days I drove it. Now the 6 speed feels antiquated.
If you don't like it, trade it. It is not the last and only car you can buy. Why stew over it and be miserable. I bought a 05 GTO and hated it. Sold it in 3 weeks. Had a 12 Hemi charger and sold it after 6 weeks. After many many cars 50+ in the last 30 years, The Honda and Acura are the ones I liked best and miss. Even my motorcycles, the Honda models are my favorite.
Joflewbyu: What do the dog clutches or the VCM have to do with the car jerking and hesitating when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear? I am really wanting to learn from your expertise.. Why does the car sometimes shift perfectly, and other times slam my head against the head rest? I am trying my hardest to get the car to shift well every time. I am adjusting my gas pedal pressure. I am trying different drive modes. I am driving harder... softer. What am I doing? You obviously are a better driver than I am. This all must be due to me driving the car incorrectly.

Do tell us what dealership(s) you work for. I would love to drive to you and have you test drive my car. I will put money on it that my TLX drives differently than yours.

Oh, and you probably don't have any complaints because you refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue, so everyone that is experiencing this obviously is only experiencing this is their heads.

You, sir, are a silly, silly man.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATXTLX:
a35tl (10-01-2015), Stew4HD (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Instructor

I believe you answered your own question. Go to Acura's media site and read the powertrain section of the TLX to better understand how and when VCM operates as well as the logic built into the transmission programming. You might be confusing the car. Do realize pending load, the car might not upshift as extra torque is needed for VCM to engage which would increase fuel mileage more so than upshifting into next gear. Opposite of what some might think and expect while driving. Just as you would track a car differently with electronic assistance than without. Did my odd feeling 9 speed change after 2 or 3 days of driving or did my driving style? My driving style changed. Now when I get into my wife's 6 speed it feels different. It never did before. Is one better than the other? They are different. I got use to the 9 speed and like it.

If your vehicle drives different, it would be an exception not common as I have been in hundreds without any issues.

Joflewbyu: What do the dog clutches or the VCM have to do with the car jerking and hesitating when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear? I am really wanting to learn from your expertise.. Why does the car sometimes shift perfectly, and other times slam my head against the head rest? I am trying my hardest to get the car to shift well every time. I am adjusting my gas pedal pressure. I am trying different drive modes. I am driving harder... softer. What am I doing? You obviously are a better driver than I am. This all must be due to me driving the car incorrectly.

Do tell us what dealership(s) you work for. I would love to drive to you and have you test drive my car. I will put money on it that my TLX drives differently than yours.

Oh, and you probably don't have any complaints because you refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue, so everyone that is experiencing this obviously is only experiencing this is their heads.

You, sir, are a silly, silly man.

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 10-01-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
^^^^^

Either you're playing dumb or it's not an act. I'm not sure which.

Last edited by a35tl; 10-01-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Instructor

I believe you answered your own question. Go to Acura's media site and read the powertrain section of the TLX to better understand how and when VCM operates as well as the logic built into the transmission programming. You might be confusing the car. Do realize pending load, the car might not upshift as extra torque is needed for VCM to engage which would increase fuel mileage more so than upshifting into next gear. Opposite of what some might think and expect while driving. Just as you would track a car differently with electronic assistance than without. Did my odd feeling 9 speed change after 2 or 3 days of driving or did my driving style? My driving style changed. Now when I get into my wife's 6 speed it feels different. It never did before. Is one better than the other? They are different. I got use to the 9 speed and like it.

If your vehicle drives different, it would be an exception not common as I have been in hundreds without any issues.

Hmmm. Ok, I will bite.

"At 60 mph on the highway, Variable Cylinder Management™ improves highway fuel efficiency by allowing the V-6 to run on three cylinders, depending on driving conditions. Accelerate to pass a slow-moving vehicle, and the system fires all six cylinders. The transition is imperceptible to the driver and passengers."

I see what the issue is. My car should be going 60 MPH when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, you are saying. That is the only way VCM could be involved.

That's probably what I am doing wrong. *DOH

BTW, VCM should be "imperceptible to the driver and passengers." Apparently mine wants to be noticed. I perceive! I perceive!

VCM has nothing to do with the 2nd to 3rd shift, silly man.

At this point, I just find amusement in your dedication to stick up for something that you must know is an issue.

I imagine, to a point, you are somewhat disappointed in your car's performance.. if even a little bit. You seem to be trying very hard to convince everyone how much you love your car, but it took some getting used to. Freud would say you had something to compensate for.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Odd how I have been in so many and never had anyone complain except 1 famous gentlemen with a 9 speed MDX. His issue was it shifted differently from his previous MDX with a 6 speed. He is very particular and notices everything. After driving another 9 speed, he realized it is functioning correctly and has not complained again even though he stops in monthly to say hi.

Had a client trade a V6 9 speed in on a nice Jaguar. Figured it has 10k miles and is an early production unit. Jumped in it to see how it drove. It drove flawless. There went my assumption that early production and that some mileage makes a difference.

Many magazines tested the 9 speed in the MDX and TLX without any issues.

Originally Posted by a35tl
^^^^^

Either you're playing dumb or it's not an act. I'm not sure which.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Now you are proving your ignorance. VCM can operate below 60 mph. VCM can operate during light acceleration. VCM can operate in lower gears. VCM is perceiveable. It it wasn't, then there would not be electronic engine mounts to quelsh the vibration, nor specific muffler to lessen the resonance, nor ANC to reduce engine drone. My TLX performance exceeds my expectation very much. It is extremely quick while being quiet and smooth. Possibly the only car I liked better was a previous MB S class. It was larger which I like better and rear wheel drive. Different animal all together.

Being in the auto industry 30 years, I am more aware of the technology and it workings. I might be more forgiving than most. I.E.) For the 2011 model year, a HD pencil pusher decided to delete certain engine bushings to save a few $$ and increase the bottom line profit which he was paid on. In order to do this, the tolerances were increased and many noticed more engine noise. Sure my 09 HD sounded different and many buyers complained about their bikes. It did not bother me since I new the reason. I understand VCM and Dog clutches. I knew right away that my 2012 Hemi charger had VCM by it behavior. The TLX has similar traits. I would rather have the larger 6 with VCM than a smaller 4 cyl. I like the smooth, effortless acceleration and the great fuel economy. Sure a 4 cyl turbo could have similar power and economy but wouldn't be as quiet nor smooth.

Hmmm. Ok, I will bite.

"At 60 mph on the highway, Variable Cylinder Management™ improves highway fuel efficiency by allowing the V-6 to run on three cylinders, depending on driving conditions. Accelerate to pass a slow-moving vehicle, and the system fires all six cylinders. The transition is imperceptible to the driver and passengers."

I see what the issue is. My car should be going 60 MPH when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, you are saying. That is the only way VCM could be involved.

That's probably what I am doing wrong. *DOH

BTW, VCM should be "imperceptible to the driver and passengers." Apparently mine wants to be noticed. I perceive! I perceive!

VCM has nothing to do with the 2nd to 3rd shift, silly man.

At this point, I just find amusement in your dedication to stick up for something that you must know is an issue.

I imagine, to a point, you are somewhat disappointed in your car's performance.. if even a little bit. You seem to be trying very hard to convince everyone how much you love your car, but it took some getting used to. Freud would say you had something to compensate for.

Last edited by joflewbyu2; 10-01-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Buyers not understanding a dog clutch, VCM and an operational design should not assume a problem. Funny how I have yet come across a complaint yet. Yes the 9 speed will have a different shift feel for different gears due to the dog clutch which is very efficient.
I promised myself that I would not participate in this folly, but I am experiencing a weak moment.

The quote below is from "the truth about cars on ZF's 9-speed". I bolded some relevant phrases. It suggests that the dog clutch is only involved in the shifting from 4-5 and 7-8. So please explain how the any lack of understanding about about the dog clutch has any bearing on the shifting from 2-3 known as hard, lumpy, jerky, or exaggerated. As the article says it should shift quickly and smoothly. I have not seen any complaints about the shifting from 4-5 or 7-8. It's primarily about 2-3.

To save space and increase efficiency, the 9HP uses two multi-plate clutch elements, two friction brakes and two electronically synchronized dog clutches. (The 8HP uses two brakes and three multi-plate clutches.) The way the gearsets are arranged inside the case, shifts from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 involve only the traditional friction brake and clutch elements. As you would expect, aside from 1st being fairly low and somewhat distant from 2nd, these shifts feel perfectly “normal.” Under hard acceleration there is a momentary reduction in engine torque (courtesy of the computer to reduce clutch wear) and the shift occurs quickly and smoothly. The shift from 4-5 however is different. The transmission has to disengage dog clutch “A” in addition to engaging a friction clutch. This shift takes slightly longer than the 3-4 shift and the car’s computer makes a drastic reduction in torque to prevent wear of the dog teeth. Shifts 5-6 and 6-7 again happen with the only the friction elements at which point we need to disconnect the final dog clutch for gears 8 and 9 so we get the same kind of torque reduction in those shifts. The result is a transmission that has two distinct “feels” to its shifts, one that has only a slight torque reduction (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, 8-9) and one that has a more “manual transmission” feel where torque is cut severely (4-5 and 7-8).
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (10-02-2015)

Quick Reply: Ignorant buyers not understanding VCM / complaining about transmission