Ignorant buyers not understanding VCM / complaining about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
no use in using logic on these guys...they just ignore the comment that Acura has issued TSBs on this very issue.

No one knows how this car should drive except for them and if we can't understand that we have the wrong idea of how a transmission should work then we are stupid.

This reminds me of the people who don't believe we went to the Moon....and we do have video of that.

Drink the company kook-aid and then please go away.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
no use in using logic on these guys...they just ignore the comment that Acura has issued TSBs on this very issue.

No one knows how this car should drive except for them and if we can't understand that we have the wrong idea of how a transmission should work then we are stupid.

This reminds me of the people who don't believe we went to the Moon....and we do have video of that.

Drink the company kook-aid and then please go away.
It's especially great when we get called ignorant by someone that is clueless.

The doesn't get it. I am/was a (uh-hem) huge TL/TLX fan and defended it as much as I could until I was plagued with the 2-3 shift problem that has only gotten worse.. in my imagination, of course. I need to let my service advisor know that I have caused this problem by lowering my car.. he'll get a good laugh out of that.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Obviously, you do not know what a TSB is? I have considerable technical information and vast experience with this transmission. There are not any recalls besides the parking pawl incident. The TSBs are to adjust the programming for the driver complaining about driveability. They come about from feedback from warranty complaints. It doesn't mean there is a problem. I have yet to see a 9 speed TLX or MDX transmission with a failure. Being in the industry, I can tell you Honda/Acura is the BEST builder in the field. No one besides Toyota/Lexus even comes close. I have seen other manufacturers that have TSBs that read like a computer that has not been updated in years. Yes, pages to correct issues from complaints.

Originally Posted by mondster
Yeah you definitely work for acura. Of course you will defend the product at all costs even to the point that you look stupid and dont know crap. If you think nothing is wrong with the transmission, why do you think theyve release numerous updates to fix it? The tsbs even acknowledge issues with the transmission.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
WoW!! Being that I have been in, driven and sold ~ 1,000 9 speed transmission TLX and MDX models without any issues, I find it hard to believe there are so many problems. That doesn't mean there aren't an issue or two out there. Just find the odds against my experience very out of the ordinary.
!,000's of 9AT's with no problems ever, REALLY?. Yet the relatively small Acura V6/9AT sample size represented on this board, against total sales, has a significant number of members with 9AT issues.

How can this be? Either you are the luckiest salesman in the world, the members here are the most unlucky, or a combination of all of the above.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
oh this guy is a fucking salesman?

yeah...salesmen never lie.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
honda_nut (09-23-2015), Stew4HD (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Obviously, you do not know what a TSB is? I have considerable technical information and vast experience with this transmission. There are not any recalls besides the parking pawl incident. The TSBs are to adjust the programming for the driver complaining about driveability. They come about from feedback from warranty complaints. It doesn't mean there is a problem. I have yet to see a 9 speed TLX or MDX transmission with a failure.
Perhaps this is a matter of semantics then? If you want to claim that a transmission failure is the definition of an issue then fine - you may be correct.

However the reality is, for those who spend close to or over 40k on a car, a driveability complaint is a valid issue. It may or may not lead to transmission failure. In fact Stews transmission may live to be 200,000 miles old - jerking all the way - but that doesn't minimize the fact that there is an issue. Driveability or mechanical or however you want to classify it, it's not clearly not acceptable for those who have it.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 09-23-2015 at 02:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
Stew4HD (09-23-2015), youngTL (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Obviously, you do not know what a TSB is? I have considerable technical information and vast experience with this transmission. There are not any recalls besides the parking pawl incident. The TSBs are to adjust the programming for the driver complaining about driveability. They come about from feedback from warranty complaints. It doesn't mean there is a problem. I have yet to see a 9 speed TLX or MDX transmission with a failure. Being in the industry, I can tell you Honda/Acura is the BEST builder in the field. No one besides Toyota/Lexus even comes close. I have seen other manufacturers that have TSBs that read like a computer that has not been updated in years. Yes, pages to correct issues from complaints.
Either you're in denial or just plain stupid... seriously.

Acura is the best builder in the field? The 9at isnt even acura built. Only toyota comes close? Sorry, but they are actually the best.

Obviously theres no arguing with since youd do anything to protect or even worship the product you sell. But i guess i cant blame you since your pay depends on it...

Last edited by mondster; 09-23-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
yeah...salesmen never lie.
I have heard that someplace
Old 09-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
this is why i will not be buying any V6s from Honda/Acura until they get rid of the stupid VCM. it gains minimal MPG but has been giving drivers headaches and reason to debate for years.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Stew caused his own problem when he abortioned his car. I been managing Acura for over a dozen years. If there is a problem with one of our clients, I know instantly as our CRM is transparent to all management. Yes, ~ 1,000 TLX and MDX models sold to happy clients out of 90,000 is only a 1.1 % sample. Must be very lucky or you guys are unlucky. If it was such a problem, why is Acura selling ~ 75,000 9 speed models per year? Or better yet, why are their sales up on those models? Why is AHMC transitioning more models to the 9 speed in the next year or two? Could it be that it shifts 25% faster, offers a wider spread of 9.8 to 1, weighs 66 lbs less and is more durable? Part of our group is Porsche. As they move away from manual transmissions since the take is slim, PDK became prominant. Those first time PDK buyers always complained about trans issues. The sqeakiest complainers never tracked the car quicker with the manual. Just was not aware nor accustomed to the way the PDF shifted. Same scenerio here. If you did not like the way it drove, why did you buy the TLX? If you have such a bad problem, why do you still have the car when there is a lemon law? If you are unhappy, just trade the car.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Keep in mind the V6 is a lot more powerful than the 4. One of the reason I got out of my 14 TSX. Highway fuel mileage is 1 mpg difference between them.
I am only averaging 2 mpg less with larger heavier TLX V6 than my 4 cyl TSX. I will take the effortless pull anyday over the 4. The 4 is great but underpowered to me.

Originally Posted by kevTL888
this is why i will not be buying any V6s from Honda/Acura until they get rid of the stupid VCM. it gains minimal MPG but has been giving drivers headaches and reason to debate for years.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I have a feeling this thread is on its way to lockdown soon.

I'm as big a fan of the TLX as could be, but it's not a flawless vehicle. I think that 9AT is good in most respects but there are a couple of issues that need to be worked out and I think they should have just bit the bullet and developed the 8DCT to be stronger and work with the V6, or adapted the 9DCT from the NSX for front-engine based duty.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. This thread has completely gone off the deep end. Of course some of our members are having trouble with their transmissions - we hope they're successful in getting them fixed or replaced. To say otherwise is just plain, well, ridiculous.

How do we get a monitor to shut this thing down? I'll be glad to head up the action, but I don't know how to do it.

Ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
kfinn (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I guess we were typing at the same time.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Toyota the best - LoL. Not according to the manufacturer's suppliers which deal with them. Remember Toyota with sludge V6 engines and unintended acceleration due from electrical problems as they tried to blame floor mats. They are not as green as AHMC either. Honda builds some of the best motorcycles, lawnmower engines, generators, vehicles and jets in the world today. Yes, I believe in them and part of the reason I been with them since 99. I bought many of their products and never had a issue with any. Lucky - huh.

Originally Posted by mondster
Either you're in denial or just plain stupid... seriously.

Acura is the best builder in the field? The 9at isnt even acura built. Only toyota comes close? Sorry, but they are actually the best.

Obviously theres no arguing with since youd do anything to protect or even worship the product you sell. But i guess i cant blame you since your pay depends on it...
Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Have you ever seen the size difference between the two ( rwd vs fwd). Adapting was not an option. And you are right, the 8DCT was not strong enough for 267 ft lbs torque. The 9 speed is good till 354 ft lbs.

I'm as big a fan of the TLX as could be, but it's not a flawless vehicle. I think that 9AT is good in most respects but there are a couple of issues that need to be worked out and I think they should have just bit the bullet and developed the 8DCT to be stronger and work with the V6, or adapted the 9DCT from the NSX for front-engine based duty.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
To the OP: Since you work for Acura and are here defending their products, why would you risk upsetting some of Acura's most loyal customers by coming here and posting something potentially offensive to them by calling them ignorant? You've started a firestorm and refuse to back off. Trust me when I say that you're not doing Acura any favors by posting these inflammatory comments. You seriously thought by coming on North America's top Acura forum and calling its members, who are quite knowledgeable about Acura's products, ignorant? I'm sorry but I just don't see how that advances your cause. And again, I'm sorry, but tell me again how Stew's modification affects his transmission? I don't think most members here are that ignorant.
The following 4 users liked this post by a35tl:
ATXTLX (09-23-2015), Quandry (09-23-2015), quantum7 (09-23-2015), Stew4HD (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
To the OP: Since you work for Acura and are here defending their products, why would you risk upsetting some of Acura's most loyal customers by coming here and posting something potentially offensive to them by calling them ignorant? You've started a firestorm and refuse to back off. Trust me when I say that you're not doing Acura any favors by posting these inflammatory comments. You seriously thought by coming on North America's top Acura forum and calling its members, who are quite knowledgeable about Acura's products, ignorant? I'm sorry but I just don't see how that advances your cause. And again, I'm sorry, but tell me again how Stew's modification affects his transmission? I don't think most members here are that ignorant.
You are absolutely correct in your assessment. I honestly think that logic will never work with this guy. Even if I wanted to buy another Acura I am sick of the Acura response to this problem...deny, deny, deny.

I only pray that this guy is not managing my local Acura....please tell us which dealership(s) you manage so that we can avoid them. I am sure that corporate is proud of your efforts in providing the finest in customer satisfaction.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

For all shifts but the 2-3, the 9 speed tranny is sweet and silky smooth. If they can ever sort that out... I'd live with the funky rolling stop issue I have
Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Instructor

I explained it already. If you want to understand it better, you might want to get a degree in mechanical engineering and then work in a powertrain department for a manufacturer. It is simple logic if you understand mechanical engineering.

The castings and stampings of the suspension parts as well as pick up points were purposely chosen. Changing one aspect has a domino effect. Wider wheels pushed outward produce more leverage. This can cause more wear on the components that were not designed for that amount of stress. Thicker stronger pieces would weigh more and have a negative effect for performance. Increasing power to overcome the added weight has an effect on emissions and mileage. Making the final drive axle ratio taller to reduce emissions and increase mileage has an effect on performance. All while the added weight might push it pass a certain range requiring crash testing again.

Many years ago in '00/'01, the public outcry for an up and down passenger seat in the TL forced R&D to look at adding it. The 2 kg weight could not be added. Looked at everywhere to reduce weight without success. Yes, it is that serious and that difficult in the business.

I have a feeling this thread is on its way to wlockdown soon.

Originally Posted by a35tl
Old 09-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Keep removing any doubt of your ignorance.. it's amusing to watch.. Do you find it odd that the rest of the world is ignorant and only you hold the key to brilliance?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
I explained it already. If you want to understand it better, you might want to get a degree in mechanical engineering and then work in a powertrain department for a manufacturer. It is simple logic if you understand mechanical engineering.

The castings and stampings of the suspension parts as well as pick up points were purposely chosen. Changing one aspect has a domino effect. Wider wheels pushed outward produce more leverage. This can cause more wear on the components that were not designed for that amount of stress. Thicker stronger pieces would weigh more and have a negative effect for performance. Increasing power to overcome the added weight has an effect on emissions and mileage. Making the final drive axle ratio taller to reduce emissions and increase mileage has an effect on performance. All while the added weight might push it pass a certain range requiring crash testing again.

Many years ago in '00/'01, the public outcry for an up and down passenger seat in the TL forced R&D to look at adding it. The 2 kg weight could not be added. Looked at everywhere to reduce weight without success. Yes, it is that serious and that difficult in the business.

Joflewbyu: Then please.... explain to me why Stew and myself have the exact same problem with 2-3. My car is not lowered. I have stock wheels.

Do you have a degree in mechanical engineering? If so, I would love to talk with you.

Most Acura buyers don't have a mechanical engineering degree. But we know what we want. A better. #!@##!@. Transmission.

I hope Acura HQ sees this thread and identifies you. You are a moron when it comes to managing PR issues within a brand.
a35tl (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
LOLOLOL, that's complete BS. If the car can't handle an extra 2kg, then what about weight differences in passengers. Whoever told you that was lying or just made that up to answer your question. It was most likely not added due to cost.

You're a car salesman, not an engineer. Stop acting like you have a degree in engineering.

Btw, I have a masters in engineering.

Last edited by honda_nut; 09-23-2015 at 08:14 PM.
ATXTLX (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Simple logic? Lol. Had a hard time getting past that since clearly you have none of that.

Problem is that even those who didnt change anything in their car are.having the same tranny issues as stew. Now explain to me, in your "mechanical engineering" language as to why is that? Enlighten us with such simple logic, please.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Instructor

LOL. 2 extra KG would push it over?????? So I cannot have any extra passengers in my car that weigh more than 2 kgs???!!??!! I can't even bring my cat in my car? HAHAHAHAHAHA.. omg. dude. SILENCE YOURSELF. You are making me laugh so hard now.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by honda_nut
LOLOLOL, that's complete BS. If the car can't handle an extra 2kg, then what about weight differences in passengers. Whoever told you that was lying or just made that up to answer your question. It was most likely not added due to cost.

You're a car salesman, not an engineer. Stop acting like you have a degree in engineering.
Maybe the car was just made for 1 passenger? Come on, man! Use simple logic!!!!! Its embarrassing!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by honda_nut

Awesome. The BS was called at the same time.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Joflewbyu: Then please.... explain to me why Stew and myself have the exact same problem with 2-3. My car is not lowered. I have stock wheels.

Do you have a degree in mechanical engineering? If so, I would love to talk with you.

Most Acura buyers don't have a mechanical engineering degree. But we know what we want. A better. #!@##!@. Transmission.

I hope Acura HQ sees this thread and identifies you. You are a moron when it comes to managing PR issues within a brand.
You'd think that my dealership would have mentioned that lowering my car would have that effect.. LOL! They even have lowered cars on display.

The OP is full of shit, pure and simple. He's trying to dazzle us with his BS but is bluffing. I am no mechanical engineer, my degree is in process control and electrical but I don't need one to know he's trying to blow smoke up my ass, I don't go for that.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Instructor

All those taking offense are proving my point. You want to change the characteristic of the design. If you understood the trans design, there wouldn't be an issue. If you did not like the way it drove, why buy it? Do you buy a Harley touring bike for speed, smoothness and quietness? No. So why complain when your expectation was different and not met by the product.

Even if you are not mechanical nor understand anything about an automobile. If you test drove the TLX and you did not like the way it shifted, why go home with it? This is a free world and you can buy what you want. I don't force anyone to buy the product. If you are not 100% satisfied, I wouldn't expect you to buy and would prefer not to sell it if there is an issue. It is not worth the aggravation. I send questionable trade in cars to auction all the time. It is not worth the headache. Btw, many turn up in the same area at the unscrupulous dealers.

Just odd that I have yet to run into a bad 9 speed trans since they come out. We did replace a 8DCT already thou.

Originally Posted by quantum7
You are absolutely correct in your assessment. I honestly think that logic will never work with this guy. Even if I wanted to buy another Acura I am sick of the Acura response to this problem...deny, deny, deny.

I only pray that this guy is not managing my local Acura....please tell us which dealership(s) you manage so that we can avoid them. I am sure that corporate is proud of your efforts in providing the finest in customer satisfaction.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

The deeper you dig this hole the more BS floods in & it will soon bury you.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

All those taking offense are proving my point. You want to change the characteristic of the design. If you understood the trans design, there wouldn't be an issue. If you did not like the way it drove, why buy it? Do you buy a Harley touring bike for speed, smoothness and quietness? No. So why complain when your expectation was different and not met by the product.

Even if you are not mechanical nor understand anything about an automobile. If you test drove the TLX and you did not like the way it shifted, why go home with it? This is a free world and you can buy what you want. I don't force anyone to buy the product. If you are not 100% satisfied, I wouldn't expect you to buy and would prefer not to sell it if there is an issue. It is not worth the aggravation. I send questionable trade in cars to auction all the time. It is not worth the headache. Btw, many turn up in the same area at the unscrupulous dealers.

Just odd that I have yet to run into a bad 9 speed trans since they come out. We did replace a 8DCT already thou.
So the design is out of the 8 shifts, it is only designed to shift hard once, which is 2 to 3? Is the 2 to 3 hardshift for more "thrill". Is it that kind of thrill that the tlx is advertised for?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Instructor

I think you have selective reading skills, sir. In multiple posts, addressed to you, I have stated that my car did NOT exhibit any signs of poor shifting until I reached about 100 miles.. It took 5-6 days. Acura did not, unfortunately, allow me to test drive the car for 6 days.

I am not offended. I am perplexed by your stubbornness to see that there are truly upset owners whose transmissions drive much worse that what we expected. Even after test driving!

I have seen more new forum users complain about the 9 speed transmission than I saw back in April. As Acura sells more of these 9 speeds, there will be more problems. A solution will come, as more and more are let down by a crappy transmission.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Most of you members have no idea what political hurdles are needed to bring a design to completetion. There are goverment crash tests as well as epa testing at a given weight. If the car goes over, certification must be redone which costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. So yes, sometimes it is a monetary reason. The model you see out now is no longer priority as the next generation model has already began and is under development. So to add costs, disrupt production and possibly waste money that won't be recouperated is foolish. At the end of model cycles, manufacturers are looking to cut cost as the model is incentivized to keep them moving.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Instructor

If you stand behind what you say, please tell us which Acura dealership you manage? Somebody will be requesting your service records as part of the Honda deposition. I want to see this one complaint out of 1000.

Last edited by ATXTLX; 09-23-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Most of you members have no idea what political hurdles are needed to bring a design to completetion. There are goverment crash tests as well as epa testing at a given weight. If the car goes over, certification must be redone which costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. So yes, sometimes it is a monetary reason. The model you see out now is no longer priority as the next generation model has already began and is under development. So to add costs, disrupt production and possibly waste money that won't be recouperated is foolish. At the end of model cycles, manufacturers are looking to cut cost as the model is incentivized to keep them moving.
Why were both the RDX and RLX left with better performing transmissions?.... again. SMOKE.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Wtf are you talking about?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Joflewby: What is your car's build date? You posted this on 9/13/15. It sounds like you are trying to "sell" upset 9 speed owners on the fact that Acura put a BS transmission in this car. Or at least trying to offset those that truly do have an issue.

This was posted in the 9 speed 2-3 thread.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:08 AM #428
joflewbyu2
Registered Member

Trader Rating: (0)
The first day after trading my 14 TSX, the V6's 9 speed auto felt different. Now it has been 1 week and I do not notice anything. I believe the trans adapted to my driving. I find the car fun and much much more powerful the the 4 cyl TSX. Filled up already and 1st tank average was only 2 mpg less than my TSX. I would take the power and 9 speed anyday over the TSX. The TSX was at 2300 rpm at 70 and the TLX is at 1500 rpm at the same speed. Quieter, smoother and handles much better with P-AWS than the TSX ever did.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Instructor

The 8DCT that was replaced was a 4 cyl. We have yet come across a 9 speed problem yet. As stated before, my sample is ~1.1 % of production.

Amazing how members believe changing 1 item is so easy. Forget about the contract with the supplier that was negotiated, forget about the production line assembly, forget about the wasted money in produced parts, forget about the goverment and epa. It is not BurgerKing where you can place an order and the cashier inputs the order to the cook reading the monitor and makes your meal.

As stated, it is a domino effect.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
If you stand behind what you say, please tell us which Acura dealership you manager? Somebody will be requesting your service records as part of the Honda deposition. I want to see this one complaint out of 1000.
You may have a long wait, no way this guy manages anything. Take a quick scan of his handful of posts going back to his start at AcuraZine.

Way to much attitude & craping on the other posters (Acura customers?). Just compare his words to the pro sales guy from Hawaii.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-23-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Instructor

And if you truly do not notice anything anymore (per your post), then be quiet, and congrats!! There are many of us that do still notice the jerking transmission. I'm happy you don't have one.

Quick Reply: Ignorant buyers not understanding VCM / complaining about transmission