Fan Speed Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Speed Control

Hi Guys,

Test drove the tlx today and possible purchasing the base 2.4 in about a week. Fantastic car btw. Is there an easier way to change the fan speed instead of clicking on the touch screen to get into the fan speed menu and then actually selecting the desired fan speed? Seems like for such a basic and frequently used function you have to go through more steps than usual. Also, since the base had no navigation, why are there two screens? From my experience, the two screens displayed the exact same info - radio information. Is there a way to put two different things on the screens to make better use of them? Thanks in advance - i appreciate all your input and cant wait to join the community.

Tim
Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
As far as fan speed settings, welcome to 2015, thats how its done. I know it seems like a pain but i really do wish there was a hard button for the fan speed but nope you have to go through the touch screen. Most of the time you set the temp to "auto" so it does the fan speed on its own so rarely need to manually adjust it

OR you can use voice commands, but personally I think that is more work than the touch screen

And the top screen can be used for navi (if equipped), phone information, car computer information, or yes the redundancy of audio.

The screens are very intuitive once you get used to them!
The following users liked this post:
tbonesteak (12-02-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
touchscreen or voice commands. I'm still getting used to the touchscreen after a month of ownership, but I really do miss a physical button. The haptic feedback helps, but I feel it's just too many steps to changing the fan speed. Thankfully they left a temperature switch.
tbonesteak (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
The top audio screen can also show the entire list of songs on whatever audio source you are using, vs the one playing. I like the two screens because of the addition displays and, best of all, having the map up while your other controls are below.
tbonesteak (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't understand what's with all this desire to fiddle with the fan speed?

On my 2007 TL-S, I left it on full auto basically the entire time I owned the car, and just adjusted the temperature and sometimes turned on defrost. Fan speed was left up to the computer 99.9% of the time.

I'll be doing the same with the 2016 TLX. Someone please explain this to me, because I'm just not getting it. Why is it such a frequently used function for some people?
Hey Casey (12-11-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Aye - I'm not a complete fan of the touchscreen - especially for the seat warmers - which you have to turn on EVERYTIME you get in the car - as opposed to simply leaving the switch on for the cold Winter months.

Regarding the fan controls - I agree with you that it's not as user friendly as a physical knob but that's just the way it is.

I'm not a big fan of the AUTO setting in this car (my 13 Accord was much better) - it pumps cool air through the vents too often when the heat is on (I think it periodically cycles the defrost) and my Wife complains so I've given up on it and manually use the (touchscreen) controls. That said - I don't have to fiddle with it *that* much but yes the touchscreen is a pain at times while driving.
tbonesteak (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I don't understand what's with all this desire to fiddle with the fan speed?

On my 2007 TL-S, I left it on full auto basically the entire time I owned the car, and just adjusted the temperature and sometimes turned on defrost. Fan speed was left up to the computer 99.9% of the time.

I'll be doing the same with the 2016 TLX. Someone please explain this to me, because I'm just not getting it. Why is it such a frequently used function for some people?
Many times I felt the auto function in my 08 TL, the fan speed was too high and I admit to not giving it much of a chance.

I like a constant lower fan speed blowing in my direction and many times I felt during use of Auto, I had to either turn the vent away or manually adjust it because the speed was too high.
tbonesteak (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

^^ What he said.

Hate how fan speed gets too strong when you leave it on auto. I want to set my temp and control my own fan speed.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tbonesteak
^^ What he said.

Hate how fan speed gets too strong when you leave it on auto. I want to set my temp and control my own fan speed.
Acura went from a perfect amount of buttons on the 3G, to too many in the 4G and now too few in the 5G. We are keeping our fingers crossed for the 6G. LOL.

I also miss having a re-circulation button or at minimum an option set re-circulation it as a default. Every time I turn off/on the heat/ac, the circulation mode resets to "fresh air". A fantastic feature anywhere except New Jersey. Nothing more refreshing than sitting in traffic breathing in fumes. The only time I have used fresh air on my 3G is when using the defroster/defogger.

Last edited by Biggie_B; 12-02-2015 at 01:59 PM.
tbonesteak (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Biggie_B
Acura went from a perfect amount of buttons on the 3G, to too many in the 4G and now too few in the 5G. We are keeping our fingers crossed for the 6G. LOL.

I also miss having a re-circulation button or at minimum an option set re-circulation it as a default. Every time I turn off/on the heat/ac, the circulation mode resets to "fresh air". A fantastic feature anywhere except New Jersey. Nothing more refreshing than sitting in traffic breathing in fumes. The only time I have used fresh air on my 3G is when using the defroster/defogger.

Yeah I use my recirculate / fresh air / vent controls on a regular basis. In Los angeles, there are very few places where I can let fresh air in. I agree 3g had the buttons down.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
It's perfect for me, but my wife likes more air on her side. Set it on auto and forget it. For her, one touch to bring up the screen and one or two touches to increase the speed. So I fail to see the problem.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by tbonesteak
Yeah I use my recirculate / fresh air / vent controls on a regular basis. In Los angeles, there are very few places where I can let fresh air in. I agree 3g had the buttons down.
Oh wow. I guess I didn't think of that, living in Edmonton. Air here seems pretty fresh most of the time so I tend to leave it on fresh. If I go with recirc, the car can fog up in the winter.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:22 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Aye - I'm not a complete fan of the touchscreen - especially for the seat warmers - which you have to turn on EVERYTIME you get in the car - as opposed to simply leaving the switch on for the cold Winter months.

Regarding the fan controls - I agree with you that it's not as user friendly as a physical knob but that's just the way it is.

I'm not a big fan of the AUTO setting in this car (my 13 Accord was much better) - it pumps cool air through the vents too often when the heat is on (I think it periodically cycles the defrost) and my Wife complains so I've given up on it and manually use the (touchscreen) controls. That said - I don't have to fiddle with it *that* much but yes the touchscreen is a pain at times while driving.
I met someone the other day whose brother worked on HVAC systems for Honda in Ohio. I said basically the same as regards it switching to defrost too readily (why at all) and asked he tell his brother it is nuts. He said his brother has a tough time as an engineer - he wants more airflow but the stylists demand the beak stays there getting in the way........

I think I have said before that I had no isses with my 06 Accord, 2000 Gti or 2012 TLX's auto setting. But the TLX's system has a number issues. Not helped by the touch screen. That said i did find it actually copes fantastically with really hot weather - over 100F. No effort at all to keep the car comfortable. My commute is now so short the cold weather issues dont manifest themselves - thugh I do appreciate the heated steering wheel hugely, and the remote start which has excellent range.