The dreaded 3-year old dead battery (and why the Acura experience < its competitors)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 06:43 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
This is not a battery problem. It's a TLX problem. The OEM battery (for anyone who has removed and looked at it) has a Johnson Controls sticker on it, who is now called Clarion, maker of Optima and someone said about 90% of all branded car batteries. I wrote about my battery failure/stalling/testing here for anyone experiencing the problem. All of our stories with the V6 SHAWD sound identical. It's the car. My guess is that with AEIS, the ECU is programmed to shut off the car with brake pressure. I found there is a pressure sensor in the brake line for SHAWD models. When released, the ECU probably triggers a relay to prompt the starter to restart the car.

I have a feeling some group of boneheads didn't program the ECU to crank the starter for long enough, because, as we all know back when cars had keys, you don't want to crank the starter long after the engine catches. But you could back then if your battery was low. My guess is Acura shorted the crank time for AIES and push button starting, which is why these cars are stalling once the battery is too cold, too low on voltage, too low of cranking amps, or all the above. I think it's a matter of time (sounds like typically between about 1.5 and 3.5 years) before most TLX owners experience this. So be aware and plan ahead.

And yes, my dealer, like the others, was less than helpful or willing to replace my battery. They threw their hands up and gave me back my keys without answering for why my car stalled... twice. And I agree that Acura created this battery testing bulletin and this one to help dealers avoid free replacements. Laughable customer service.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
This is not a battery problem. It's a TLX problem. The OEM battery (for anyone who has removed and looked at it) has a Johnson Controls sticker on it, who is now called Clarion, maker of Optima and someone said about 90% of all branded car batteries. I wrote about my battery failure/stalling/testing here for anyone experiencing the problem. All of our stories with the V6 SHAWD sound identical. It's the car. My guess is that with AEIS, the ECU is programmed to shut off the car with brake pressure. I found there is a pressure sensor in the brake line for SHAWD models. When released, the ECU probably triggers a relay to prompt the starter to restart the car.

I have a feeling some group of boneheads didn't program the ECU to crank the starter for long enough, because, as we all know back when cars had keys, you don't want to crank the starter long after the engine catches. But you could back then if your battery was low. My guess is Acura shorted the crank time for AIES and push button starting, which is why these cars are stalling once the battery is too cold, too low on voltage, too low of cranking amps, or all the above. I think it's a matter of time (sounds like typically between about 1.5 and 3.5 years) before most TLX owners experience this. So be aware and plan ahead.

And yes, my dealer, like the others, was less than helpful or willing to replace my battery. They threw their hands up and gave me back my keys without answering for why my car stalled... twice. And I agree that Acura created this battery testing bulletin and this one to help dealers avoid free replacements. Laughable customer service.
Even if Clarion makes those batteries, they make them under Acura's specs and cost requirements. So Acura could improve the specs so the batteries can last longer. The issue is not only with TLXs, it also happens to TLs and MDXs too.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Even if Clarion makes those batteries, they make them under Acura's specs and cost requirements. So Acura could improve the specs so the batteries can last longer. The issue is not only with TLXs, it also happens to TLs and MDXs too.
Given how long the 100-Month batteries last in some cars, it is an odds on bet it is the way the electronics are designed in the cars and not the batteries.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you guys considered replacing the battery terminal connectors?

It may just be corrosion on the connectors leading to a voltage drop
Old 12-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,413 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinZ
Have you guys considered replacing the battery terminal connectors?

It may just be corrosion on the connectors leading to a voltage drop
Didn't help my TL; I replaced both battery cables with new OEM units; the battery still failed after only two years.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an issue with my battery after 2 years. Car wouldn’t start back up after auto-engine shut off at a red light. When the light turned green, I understandably got honked at several times lol. But it was scary at the time. Car luckily turned back on after several tries.

Didn't have any problems at the dealer though. They replaced the battery no questions asked.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:40 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Had my battery replaced just this past week. If the car sat for more then a day or so, it would need a boost. Replaced under warranty no questions asked. Car has 72,000kms on it.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Owned my 2018 for 2.5yrs, and today I received an email from Acura offering a free battery test. LOL

Did Acura just jinx me?
Old 12-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Given how long the 100-Month batteries last in some cars, it is an odds on bet it is the way the electronics are designed in the cars and not the batteries.
Yep! Mine died after only two years... It leaked pretty badly, though!
Old 12-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
At least they owned up and replaced it for free! Just with they didn't take over two hours to put it in...