Did anyone notice the low speed the jerkiness and knocking sound of the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I learned in class today that the sun is going to fizzle out - in about 3 billion years. Before that happens, it will be so hot on earth that everything will burn up. Even with advances in science, I doubt that I will be alive then, so I am not worrying about it.
True. Every star will eventually run out of its fuel source, namely Hydrogen. Even our beloved Sun.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by elsapo
Lol, if you want to experience low speed jerkiness. Drive a BMW M5
Just test drove the TLX V6 again and a BMW 435i
The TLX tranny is like butter compared to the BMW!

Don't get me wrong the BMW Is a beautiful car and handles like a dream. But the transmission kept me wondering if it was working properly!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yes, i would be a little mad, but the simple fact is is that failures happen. Things are built by humans, things do fail or are defective from the beginning and things like this should be expected to happen on occasion. NOW, having said that if this becomes a trend and more and more failures happen THEN i would become more furious about the fact that they didnt fix this issue before it was sold to the public, and would really point to why there was a delay in bringing it to market.

And this is coming from a guy who put up with 5 Acura automatic trans failures, yet still has the car 14 years and 600k miles later.
Picked up the TLX today and the official issue was "Found transmission to be leaking near it's inspection plate. Replaced transmission". They apologized again. I will say shifting is smooth as silk now. It doesnt downshift super smooth but it's a dream to drive again. Clearly a poor connection during manufacturing. Shame they "rushed" these cars after delaying them.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (09-20-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmark
Just test drove the TLX V6 again and a BMW 435i
The TLX tranny is like butter compared to the BMW!

Don't get me wrong the BMW Is a beautiful car and handles like a dream. But the transmission kept me wondering if it was working properly!
I don't follow them much, but do you think it could've just been a dud car/transmission?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ wasn't that a problem identified by one of those video by Acura?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ wasn't that a problem identified by one of those video by Acura?
Yes, One Pack #3 or #4 (4 I think).
Old 09-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by golftro
Picked up the TLX today and the official issue was "Found transmission to be leaking near it's inspection plate. Replaced transmission". They apologized again. I will say shifting is smooth as silk now. It doesnt downshift super smooth but it's a dream to drive again. Clearly a poor connection during manufacturing. Shame they "rushed" these cars after delaying them.
This apparently is a ZF problem. This is the kind of thing that happens when you outsource components, you lose quality control. True in everything from software to airplane fuselages.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
This apparently is a ZF problem. This is the kind of thing that happens when you outsource components, you lose quality control. True in everything from software to airplane fuselages.
Yea, and when they did it in house they didnt have issues either
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Glad it's all fixed. Sucks that a new car had to have major work done though.

Car is assembled or 100% made in America?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by vbx

From my understanding, yes, all of it is built here
Old 09-20-2014, 05:00 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by vbx

The car is assembled in Marysville OH - however not all the components are. I believe I read somewhere (not 100% sure) that the DCT is made in Japan.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
From my understanding, yes, all of it is built here
I was told by a salesman all of the parts are assembled here but the transmission was designed and constructed in Germany. Not sure if the constructed part is correct.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

I was told by a salesman all of the parts are assembled here but the transmission was designed and constructed in Germany. Not sure if the constructed part is correct.
Thanks for the correction. Now that you mention it, it seems I 've hear/saw that before
Old 09-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
The V6 transmission is built in the US. Probably in that new South Carolina facility ZF built a year or two ago.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Admittedly, this is a tiny sample but today I took my second test drive of two different I4 Tech models. No indication of jerkiness and certainly no knocking sound from the transmission. And I was looking for such stuff.

Again, very small sample but just thought I'd mention it.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wlkeel
Admittedly, this is a tiny sample but today I took my second test drive of two different I4 Tech models. No indication of jerkiness and certainly no knocking sound from the transmission. And I was looking for such stuff.

Again, very small sample but just thought I'd mention it.
The only knocking I had in my old transmission (sounds so weird, I still have temp license plates) was when I put it in park or drive. Audible clank sound from outside. New transmission, nothing, whisper quiet when engaging drive or park.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
One bad tranny equates to a disaster? The sky is falling! Run away!
Don't cry and say didn't warn you about the tranny couple years forward.

Only time will prove you or me wrong.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
sound like it's gonna be another tranny disaster for the TLX in couple years
One bad tranny equates to a disaster? The sky is falling! Run away!
Don't cry and say didn't warn you about the tranny couple years forward.

Only time will prove you or me wrong.
Hey airpeace -- sounds like you've already convinced yourself that you're right.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by MardiGras
Hey airpeace -- sounds like you've already convinced yourself that you're right.
that's why i said only time can prove me right or wrong and i hope i was wrong.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
my 4cyl has really poor gas response when pressed lightly .. its actualyl rather annoying

Last edited by insanik; 09-22-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by insanik
my 4cyl has really power gas response when pressed lightly .. its actualyl rather annoying
Econ mode will take care of that for you
Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

HAHA! Talk about trying to cover the bases.

I will marry a Victoria Secret's model!

Well, time will tell if I am do or not.

Mardigras is right.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
..... I will marry a Victoria Secret's model! .....
Much better to lease
Old 09-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Much better to lease
+1000!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I don't follow them much, but do you think it could've just been a dud car/transmission?
Grr stupid iPad with ios8 keeps locking up as I try and replay and give my impression of the car
Salesman said that was normal for this vehicle.
$20k more for the vehicle but worth it IMO. I can see why the RLX is a hard sell!!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Instructor

My 4cyl jerkiness is pretty much isolated to braking and coming to a complete stop as the car is down shifting. It's actually incredibly noticeable and jarring and gets uncomfortable in stop and go traffic.

It's a serious issue i hope can be fixed through an update...
Old 09-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My 4cyl jerkiness is pretty much isolated to braking and coming to a complete stop as the car is down shifting. It's actually incredibly noticeable and jarring and gets uncomfortable in stop and go traffic.

That's what I have been noticing as well. I have been semi-solving it by extending my braking area to give me a spot at the end to come off the brake a bit, let that last bit of engine push, and come to a smoother stop.

Shouldn't really have to do that though.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:42 AM

Is it mode specific? I've been in econ mode for a week and it's much smoother. In fact I don't really have any issues while slowing down - it's when I get back on the gas after slowing way down but not coming to a complete stop.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BandwidthExceeded
That's what I have been noticing as well. I have been semi-solving it by extending my braking area to give me a spot at the end to come off the brake a bit, let that last bit of engine push, and come to a smoother stop.

Shouldn't really have to do that though.

Ive been doing this aswell.

It's incredibly annoying to have to do this just so i can come to a smooth stop and not feel jerking constantly.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Is it mode specific? I've been in econ mode for a week and it's much smoother. In fact I don't really have any issues while slowing down - it's when I get back on the gas after slowing way down but not coming to a complete stop.
I feel like I get the issue more with Sport than Normal. I have not used Econ or Sport+ at all yet, haven't had the time.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Ive been doing this aswell.

It's incredibly annoying to have to do this just so i can come to a smooth stop and not feel jerking constantly.

I noticed the same thing with my i4 seems like if the car gets down below about 15mph in sport and then u go to accelerate u get a clunk jerky motion. Same happens from a stand still at time. I also noticed the smooth stop from time to time.

I switched to normal mode today and didn't notice anything in my short trip, so seems like its an issue with the ECU
Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've also noticed the jerkiness upon decelleration to a complete stop. It's pretty minor, but definitely noticeable. Right as the car should be nearing a stop there is a little burst of power as it does the final downshift.

My guess is this is just how the car is, and if not, I have the power train warranty for what --6-7 years? Anyway, I'll keep my hopes up for a miracle software update about as much as I believe I'll be getting an AirPlay update for my stereo system...
Old 09-29-2014, 04:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Alexboculon
I've also noticed the jerkiness upon decelleration to a complete stop. It's pretty minor, but definitely noticeable. Right as the car should be nearing a stop there is a little burst of power as it does the final downshift.

My guess is this is just how the car is, and if not, I have the power train warranty for what --6-7 years? Anyway, I'll keep my hopes up for a miracle software update about as much as I believe I'll be getting an AirPlay update for my stereo system...
IMO, for those experiencing this issue, complain, a lot, to your service manager. Hopefully it will get elevated with enough complaints.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
tlxsteve (10-06-2014), xiaosongz (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, for those experiencing this issue, complain, a lot, to your service manager. Hopefully it will get elevated with enough complaints.
I did complained, but I still didn't find a certain way to 100% reproduce the problem. They said they can open a ticket to ACURA about this once they find a way to reproduce the problem.

It will be great if anyone here can give some tips for make the jerkiness feeling intentionally.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
jerky ride

The transmission/engine combo of my late 2013 Acura RDX (FWD 6speed) produced a very jerky ride at low speeds (in traffic). It was very annoying up to the point that I tried and tried but couldnt really get over that. It seems that other RDX owners didnt have this experience so I am not sure that it is something that happens to all the cars from that year and model

Then, after crunching the numbers, smart negotiation, and waiting for the right time, I went 'german' and what can I say? My 2014 X3 Xdrive28i with a 8 speed ZF trans is smooth as butter in ANY driving condition. I am very happy now; the feeling of riding a wild horse at low speeds is in the past and I can smile now.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaosongz
I did complained, but I still didn't find a certain way to 100% reproduce the problem. They said they can open a ticket to ACURA about this once they find a way to reproduce the problem.

It will be great if anyone here can give some tips for make the jerkiness feeling intentionally.
This is going to sound kind of stupid, but bear with me. Check how your foot is sitting on the pedal. I noticed with my Type S that occasionally my foot would end up low on the pedal when I was switching back and forth from the brake pedal (like you would in slow traffic) and this resulted in a very jerky ride, almost like it was getting ready to stall at times. I learned to reposition my foot each time so my heel is right at the bottom of the pedal and my my toes are close to the top of the pedal, and now that jerkiness doesn't happen anymore. Dumb, I know.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xiaosongz

For me the jerkiness occurs if I do moderate acceleration, its smooth if I let the car coast to a higher speed or I accelerate quickly. Note that is in sport mode.

I've struggled with reproducing the jerkiness, but it mostly occurs when I'm slowing down into the 10-15 mph range and then I go to accelerate at a decent rate. I will play around with it more tomorrow on my extended trip.

I plan to put a ticket in, I've also got to get my auto rain sensing wipers checked out.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Taking it into the dealer next week, the car has some weird jerkiness in the shifts when I accelerate as well. The problem as others have stated is that its not 100% of the time.

If i gun it, I the shifts are smooth. If i go about 75% it seems like I get a decent jerk as it shifts. Shifts seem like they should be smoother and I feel like they were when I first got the car.

Been driving it in sport mode.