Did anyone notice the low speed the jerkiness and knocking sound of the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
In reading this I cannot comment on the sound being described. However, I feel that some of what I see being described may be drivetrain 'lash' where the engine/transmission moves on the rubber mounts or subframe. This effect would be greatest in low gears where torque multiplication is the highest.

In the end, it's an automated manual transmission. When the clutch bites, I don't see how you cannot expect to 'feel' something. I would imagine that any software update would slow the shifting down, I'd be careful what you wish for.

Edited to add to the OP:

Are you describing the rev matching feature? As you slow, the transmission should be moving into a lower gear, to smooth out shifts, the throttle should 'blip' a bit to match the revs. It's what I (a manual driver) do when coming to a stop.
I don't think this is caused by the rev matching mechanism, I think TLX should have brake override system.(what ever the engine doing to match the rev should not obstruct my braking operation.)
Old 09-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I test drove the i4 Tech & V6 Tech last weekend back to back. I also experienced jerkiness coming from the i4. Specifically in traffic. I test drove it during rush hour 5-6PM on route 18 in East Brunswick NJ. While it wasn't bumper to bumper traffic, the volume made me inhibit low speed acceleration + stopping where during a 20 minute test drive I felt the jerkiness 2 or 3 times. It was only during low speeds lightly accelerating or coming to a slow stop. I found it to be alarming considering all the reviews I saw this was the whole point of the torque converter to smooth out the DCT. This was a turn off for me to get the i4.

Driving the V6 afterwards was smooth as butter. I drove the V6 the same exact route as the i4. Acceleration & braking were smooth and I didnt experience any jerkiness.

I was excited to get the i4 Tech but what I experienced is making me think twice. To get the V6 Tech it's another $4000. Was hoping to stay around $35-36k.

Honestly, the issue reminds me of the same jerkiness the 3G TL had with 3rd gear shifting, specifically slowing to a stop at slower speeds and accelerating again with the lurching a lot of people experienced with those transmissions.

Last edited by reddogTL; 09-11-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
So I just want to be clear:
there is no problem with the V6 right? If so, I will pull the trigger on Sat this week
Please advise

THANKS
Old 09-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
For what its worth, I test drove the I4 today and didn't feel the jerkiness that has been reported...
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaosongz
I don't think this is caused by the rev matching mechanism, I think TLX should have brake override system.(what ever the engine doing to match the rev should not obstruct my braking operation.)
So what you're saying is that when you are on the brakes, slowing to a complete stop, that you'd like the transmission to simply go into neutral instead of doing engine braking.

It has been my experience with all of the latest Honda/Acura transmissions that they do indeed drop to lower gears and employ engine braking to help bring the car to a stop.

What does that feel like?

Many times it feels like the car jerks as it goes to a lower gear. It feels like the constant brake pressure you've applied is now actually too much. It feels like what a manual transmission car would feel like, except you don't know when the car is going to drop a gear and you are not prepared for it, as opposed to a manual where you do the shifting and therefore you're prepared for the effects of the change in gearing.

I'm not saying that nothing's wrong but *I* would chalk this up to transmission programming.

Frankly, I've many times looked at the MID and wished that I could know at all times what gear the trans is in, not just when I manually row the cogs.

Last edited by Gregg; 09-11-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by t33h00
So I just want to be clear:
there is no problem with the V6 right? If so, I will pull the trigger on Sat this week
Please advise

THANKS
I've test driven the V6 three times now and have not felt this "jerkiness"...
The following 2 users liked this post by BookemDanole:
internalaudit (09-15-2014), Stew4HD (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregg
Frankly, I've many times looked at the MID and wished that I could know at all times what gear the trans is in, not just when I manually row the cogs.
Agreed. This would be nice.
BookemDanole (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 04:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by BookemDanole
I've test driven the V6 three times now and have not felt this "jerkiness"...
Same results for me.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregg
So what you're saying is that when you are on the brakes, slowing to a complete stop, that you'd like the transmission to simply go into neutral instead of doing engine braking.

It has been my experience with all of the latest Honda/Acura transmissions that they do indeed drop to lower gears and employ engine braking to help bring the car to a stop.

What does that feel like?

Many times it feels like the car jerks as it goes to a lower gear. It feels like the constant brake pressure you've applied is now actually too much. It feels like what a manual transmission car would feel like, except you don't know when the car is going to drop a gear and you are not prepared for it, as opposed to a manual where you do the shifting and therefore you're prepared for the effects of the change in gearing.

I'm not saying that nothing's wrong but *I* would chalk this up to transmission programming.

Mine is silky smooth while I'm slowing down - it only jerks a tad when I nudge the gas again - almost like it picked the wrong gear. This leads me to think it's a software thing and could very well be the nature of the car. It's not like it's a constant jerking - it's just one little tug when it shifts. At this point for me it's a non issue and not something I plan on taking to the dealership.

I too would like to be able to see what gear I'm in without having to hit a paddle shifter - they could have easily included this information along with the other information on the trip computer.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Mine is silky smooth while I'm slowing down - it only jerks a tad when I nudge the gas again - almost like it picked the wrong gear. This leads me to think it's a software thing and could very well be the nature of the car. It's not like it's a constant jerking - it's just one little tug when it shifts. At this point for me it's a non issue and not something I plan on taking to the dealership.

I too would like to be able to see what gear I'm in without having to hit a paddle shifter - they could have easily included this information along with the other information on the trip computer.
I should also note that I've been driving almost exclusively in Normal mode - I'm going to run in sport mode for the weekend (WooHoo) to see how that alters things. I'll do Econ mode next week. If the modes do make a difference it would tell me (not science mind you) that it is indeed software related.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
it's not the jerkiness but you will fell/see the rmp rev from 4k to 1.5k and then back up to 3k.
Toddo627 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Lets all remember there is a difference between a "problem" and a behavior that is normal, even though it feels different than what we are used to.

I am a bit hesitant to call it a problem until more report the issue....
Exactly! Also, depending on your driving style...some "problems" may become more noticeable. After almost a week with the car, I've gotten used to how it behaves and have adjusted my driving a bit to accommodate for the 8 gears...and haven't felt the low-speed shifts nearly as much as I first did. I think most people reporting the issue are coming from 5-6 gears (I had a 5 gear TSX, now 8 with TLX). A 8/9 gear car is not going to behave exactly the same...it takes a little getting used to.
weather (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jayb082
Exactly! Also, depending on your driving style...some "problems" may become more noticeable. After almost a week with the car, I've gotten used to how it behaves and have adjusted my driving a bit to accommodate for the 8 gears...and haven't felt the low-speed shifts nearly as much as I first did. I think most people reporting the issue are coming from 5-6 gears (I had a 5 gear TSX, now 8 with TLX). A 8/9 gear car is not going to behave exactly the same...it takes a little getting used to.
Ha - I'm coming from a CVT with ONE gear!

That said - I'm going to try playing around with the paddle shifters to see if I can force the transmission into the "right" gear depending on my intentions.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 09-12-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Ha - I'm coming from a CVT with ONE gear!

That said - I'm going to try playing around with the paddle shifters to see if I can force the transmission into the "right" gear depending on my intentions.
yea I've used the paddle shifters a couple times so far and noticed you need to downshift a few (2-3) gears most of the time to get it to move quickly...gotta get used to that. On my TSX it only needed 1 to 2 clicks down to get into 3rd...and gooooo!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I found a really informative video on the basics of dual clutch transmission. It appears that this was made without his knowledge of the Acura DCT with torque converter. However, from his descriptions you could easily see where the torque converter comes into play.

It's about eight minutes long so those with a short attention span may not make it through the whole thing. But I think that every sales consultant here at our store could benefit from understanding the mechanics he explains. If only we could get them to watch it.

CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, if you want to experience low speed jerkiness. Drive a BMW M5
Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 PM

Spent the day (about 100 miles) in econ mode and didn't notice anything at all - I think it's all software related specific to the mode you're in. I really love how smooth this thing is on the highway!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
your brake booster pulls a vaccum when applied. when you downshift while braking, it will jerk since the revs go up.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
sound like it's gonna be another transmission disaster for acura
Sounds like premature drama queen reaction.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nab0610
Glad I'm getting the i4 haven't heard of any tranny problems on that one yet? At least I assume not?
All they've been talking about is the i4.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

My V6 Tech TLX has similar issues when slowing down but I'm not that concerned with the downshifting. My problem is that when shifting to 5th gear it slips then catches 5th gear so there is a noticeable jerk to the car. It only happens when the car is cold but that is the case when I leave, go to lunch and go home. Dropped it off at the dealership today and they said either its the computer or replace the whole transmission. We'll see but I'm not happy about dropping off my TLX after 2 weeks of owning it.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by golftro
My V6 Tech TLX has similar issues when slowing down but I'm not that concerned with the downshifting. My problem is that when shifting to 5th gear it slips then catches 5th gear so there is a noticeable jerk to the car. It only happens when the car is cold but that is the case when I leave, go to lunch and go home. Dropped it off at the dealership today and they said either its the computer or replace the whole transmission. We'll see but I'm not happy about dropping off my TLX after 2 weeks of owning it.
Better now than later after powertrain warranty expires. Good luck & keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MardiGras
Better now than later after powertrain warranty expires. Good luck & keep us posted.
I got a call from the service dept at the dealership this evening. They apologized repeatedly and said a new transmission is being shipped from Acura and mine is getting replaced! I was shocked but the manager said Acura isn't interested in repairing the transmission, they just want to put in a new one. Still sucks but what service!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ Dealers almost never open a transmission case anymore. On something this new, they need to get it back to the factory to tear it down to find the problem.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor

I got a call from the service dept at the dealership this evening. They apologized repeatedly and said a new transmission is being shipped from Acura and mine is getting replaced! I was shocked but the manager said Acura isn't interested in repairing the transmission, they just want to put in a new one. Still sucks but what service!
Good news. Let us know how the new tranny feels!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
I would be furious if i bought a new car and the tranny had to be replaced after 2 weeks..

my i4 tech has low speed jerkiness as well. noting jarring but its noticeable.

Gas response is quite minimal with basic gas touch which is not very acura like either
Old 09-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by insanik
I would be furious if i bought a new car and the tranny had to be replaced after 2 weeks..
True dat, but I'd be even more furious if they insisted on opening up the tranny and tinkering around inside vice replacing with a new unit.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

True dat, but I'd be even more furious if they insisted on opening up the tranny and tinkering around inside vice replacing with a new unit.
I told them my frustration with this whole issue and how my new car is sitting in a repair parking lot. They offered 1st and 2nd standard service which is total ~$300 value. Also the transmission is on order and will be here and installed Friday. In a loaner RDX til then. Should I ask for more??
Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I told them my frustration with this whole issue and how my new car is sitting in a repair parking lot. They offered 1st and 2nd standard service which is total ~$300 value. Also the transmission is on order and will be here and installed Friday. In a loaner RDX til then. Should I ask for more??
Like what? They're giving you a new transmission. I had a scratch on my dash when I picked up my car. Acura and the dealership offered to replace the whole dash.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

That seems like a fair offer to me. I understand how frustrating it is for you but it does appear that the dealer is genuinely concerned and trying their best to accommodate you. Best of luck to you though and I really hope they make things right for you.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I found a really informative video on the basics of dual clutch transmission. It appears that this was made without his knowledge of the Acura DCT with torque converter. However, from his descriptions you could easily see where the torque converter comes into play.

It's about eight minutes long so those with a short attention span may not make it through the whole thing. But I think that every sales consultant here at our store could benefit from understanding the mechanics he explains. If only we could get them to watch it.

How Dual Clutch Transmissions Work - YouTube
Torque converter not withstanding, Colin's video at about 7:25 mins in seems to offer an explanation of what I've been experiencing with my 8 speed.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Spent the day (about 100 miles) in econ mode and didn't notice anything at all - I think it's all software related specific to the mode you're in. I really love how smooth this thing is on the highway!
Of course it's smooth on the hwy. My 6mt G coupe was smooth on the hwy. But on the streets. My passengers hated it. I on the other hand, didn't even notice the jerkiness of my driving.

-------
------

Wow, can't believe you're already getting a new transmission. What happens if the problem continues? Will Acura buy it back?

Did they reset the ECU first and see if anything changes? Car these day "learn" they way you drive. So if you're smashing on it daily in stop and go traffic, the drive is going to be rough.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vbx
Of course it's smooth on the hwy. My 6mt G coupe was smooth on the hwy. But on the streets. My passengers hated it. I on the other hand, didn't even notice the jerkiness of my driving.

-------
------

Wow, can't believe you're already getting a new transmission. What happens if the problem continues? Will Acura buy it back?

Did they reset the ECU first and see if anything changes? Car these day "learn" they way you drive. So if you're smashing on it daily in stop and go traffic, the drive is going to be rough.
Your right about the timing of changing out the transmission, power train should last 100k miles and not 2 weeks. I told them we are going down the path of a lemon and that's when they said they will be open to a new transmission. If it continues after this there will be hell to pay. I've bought 3 Acuras from this dealer in the last 2 years, my wife's 2012 MDX, traded that for a 2014 MDX (a WORLD of differences) and this TLX.

As far as the ECU, I'll ask but I baby it in traffic and all other gears were smooth, just shifting up to 5 lagged and then jolted.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by insanik
Yes, i would be a little mad, but the simple fact is is that failures happen. Things are built by humans, things do fail or are defective from the beginning and things like this should be expected to happen on occasion. NOW, having said that if this becomes a trend and more and more failures happen THEN i would become more furious about the fact that they didnt fix this issue before it was sold to the public, and would really point to why there was a delay in bringing it to market.

And this is coming from a guy who put up with 5 Acura automatic trans failures, yet still has the car 14 years and 600k miles later.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
sound like it's gonna be another tranny disaster for the TLX in couple years
Old 09-19-2014, 02:23 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Wouldn't be a surprise. Nissan ignored the VQ oil burning issues for a decade.

GM didn't recall their cars for transmission failures until 13 people died...

Last edited by vbx; 09-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

One bad tranny equates to a disaster? The sky is falling! Run away!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Instructor

.....and the sun will fizzle out and humans will become extinct like the dinosaurs...
Old 09-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

.....and the sun will fizzle out and humans will become extinct like the dinosaurs...
David Bowie lyrics:

And in the death
As the last few corpses lay rotting on the slimy thoroughfare
The shutters lifted in inches in Temperance Building
High on Poacher's Hill
And red mutant eyes gaze down on Hunger City
No more big wheels

Fleas the size of rats sucked on rats the size of cats
And ten thousand peoploids split into small tribes
Coveting the highest of the sterile skyscrapers
Like packs of dogs assaulting the glass fronts of Love-Me Avenue
Ripping and rewrapping mink and shiny silver fox, now legwarmers
Family badge of sapphire and cracked emerald
Any day now

The Year of the Diamond Dogs
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I learned in class today that the sun is going to fizzle out - in about 3 billion years. Before that happens, it will be so hot on earth that everything will burn up. Even with advances in science, I doubt that I will be alive then, so I am not worrying about it.

Quick Reply: Did anyone notice the low speed the jerkiness and knocking sound of the transmission