DCT - Slow from R to D?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
DCT - Slow from R to D?

Is it just me or does it take a couple extra seconds to go from reverse to drive with the DCT? Nature of the beast?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Is it just me or does it take a couple extra seconds to go from reverse to drive with the DCT? Nature of the beast?
I noticed this first thing when I test drove one. I'd say more like a second though.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't noticed it. But I had my car for less than a week..
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
That's true of all TLX's if you're talking about what I think you are. I can't wait to see what winter weather up north does because it's supposed to possibly slow down in freezing temps for the V6's/electronic gear selector.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I've also noticed this. I feel I'm pressing the gas before D engages sometimes.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by slats
I noticed this first thing when I test drove one. I'd say more like a second though.
I suppose it may be just a second - it's a noticeable lag though compared to any traditional type trans I've ever driven.

Originally Posted by Jazzyguy
I've also noticed this. I feel I'm pressing the gas before D engages sometimes.
Yep - I thought maybe it was an econ mode thing so I tried it in Sport mode this morning - same thing. I back out - stop - swtich to D and press the gas and about a second or two later it engages.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
FWIW never noticed it on my DCT (no TQ) equipped car. Might it be the TQ or just something I never noticed?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
FWIW never noticed it on my DCT (no TQ) equipped car. Might it be the TQ or just something I never noticed?
Hmmm - upon further investigation I stumbled across this post on a Beemer site:

click -> DCT Delay between Reverse and 1st gear?

So it may very well be a DCT thing. I'm wondering if the torque converter is playing a part here as well. Either way - it's not a real issue - just feels odd to have that pause there.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I can't imagine the torque converter being an issue since it is always spinning with the fluid inside it.... that is if todays torque converters work as they did in the good ole days.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmm - upon further investigation I stumbled across this post on a Beemer site:

click -> DCT Delay between Reverse and 1st gear?

So it may very well be a DCT thing. I'm wondering if the torque converter is playing a part here as well. Either way - it's not a real issue - just feels odd to have that pause there.
As you get further into that thread guys are saying a software update cleared the issue for them. Interesting issue.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Drifting

I think this is more Acura's software than just the DCT because, like I said, the pause is there in the V6 models, too (well, at least in mine). It hasn't bugged me yet... now when I'm trying to make my get-away, I'm gonna be pissed ...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I think this is more Acura's software than just the DCT because, like I said, the pause is there in the V6 models, too (well, at least in mine). It hasn't bugged me yet... now when I'm trying to make my get-away, I'm gonna be pissed ...
You will need to be sure and account for that pause when that jealous husband comes chasing you out the back door and down the street to your car .. not that I know anything about such things
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^

He will just have to remember to always park tactically.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
You will need to be sure and account for that pause when that jealous husband comes chasing you out the back door and down the street to your car .. not that I know anything about such things
Ha - no worries there - my wild oats have pretty much been sown methinks.

This is more about time. If I back up twice a day and lose a second each time that's two seconds a day. Multiply that by 365 days a year times 7 years (assuming I keep the car that long) that comes out to 5,110 seconds - or roughly a hour and 25 minutes of my life that I can never get back...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Ha - no worries there - my wild oats have pretty much been sown methinks.

This is more about time. If I back up twice a day and lose a second each time that's two seconds a day. Multiply that by 365 days a year times 7 years (assuming I keep the car that long) that comes out to 5,110 seconds - or roughly a hour and 25 minutes of my life that I can never get back...
Now that is what I call "accounting for time"!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Hey guys, I know this is slightly off topic but not really in another way....

I test drove the SH-AWD version today and I was disapointed....Not in the SH-AWD but the transmission. I am fully aware that with a 9 speed tranny, it will behave a little differently and might have a slight delay when flooring it. Now I placed the car in Sport + mode which will allow to hold the gear: My TL, when that was the case, by revving the car in the 3-4k range, touching the gas pedal, the car felt just eager to go and had that sudden surge/lurching foward feeling....NOT with the TLX. It appears the RPM will go up but the car doesn't feel like its displaying any quick jerky readiness to go....

I know I am not doing a good job at explaining but do you guys know what I mean?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by weather

I test drove the SH-AWD version today and I was disapointed....Not in the SH-AWD but the transmission. I am fully aware that with a 9 speed tranny, it will behave a little differently and might have a slight delay when flooring it. Now I placed the car in Sport + mode which will allow to hold the gear: My TL, when that was the case, by revving the car in the 3-4k range, touching the gas pedal, the car felt just eager to go and had that sudden surge/lurching foward feeling....NOT with the TLX. It appears the RPM will go up but the car doesn't feel like its displaying any quick jerky readiness to go....

I know I am not doing a good job at explaining but do you guys know what I mean?
What about acceleration, handling compared to your TL?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Handling was as good as my TL although teh TLX came with the GoodYear rather than the Bridgestone so I was a bit surprised by that. As much as I am aware teh Michelin's OEM aren't the best tires, I still would prefer them over these shitty GY.

The acceleration was decent and teh sound of the engine is quite nice but as I was trying to explain, there is a throttle response delay and this, even in teh SPORT + mode so I was not expecting that. I was sure that putting in SPORT + and putting the car in teh correct rev range would give the car the "readiness" to just go but that is not teh case, it appears a bit sluggish and that left me disapointed as my TL was MUCH MUCH quicker in the paddle gear change and the throttle response when in that optimal RPM range.

EDIT: Even the 5 speed tranny in the ILX feels more response and ready to go than that of the TLX. I am quite surprised and dispointed by that. In a pure non nervous driving, the tranny is great but for trying to get more fun out the car, this transmission is not overly fun. I can see the manual drivers to be even more disapointed with teh paddle in the TLX.

Last edited by weather; 09-30-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Handling was as good as my TL although teh TLX came with the GoodYear rather than the Bridgestone so I was a bit surprised by that. As much as I am aware teh Michelin's OEM aren't the best tires, I still would prefer them over these shitty GY.

The acceleration was decent and teh sound of the engine is quite nice but as I was trying to explain, there is a throttle response delay and this, even in teh SPORT + mode so I was not expecting that. I was sure that putting in SPORT + and putting the car in teh correct rev range would give the car the "readiness" to just go but that is not teh case, it appears a bit sluggish and that left me disapointed as my TL was MUCH MUCH quicker in the paddle gear change and the throttle response when in that optimal RPM range.

EDIT: Even the 5 speed tranny in the ILX feels more response and ready to go than that of the TLX. I am quite surprised and dispointed by that. In a pure non nervous driving, the tranny is great but for trying to get more fun out the car, this transmission is not overly fun. I can see the manual drivers to be even more disapointed with teh paddle in the TLX.
Well, maybe the car needs to do some learning, brake in before slamming it. Acura told that this new 9 gear tranny is faster (paddles react 3x times faster) than old 6.
Acceleration... if you would bet.. which one is faster? TL or tlx?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

well...I had heard that too and TRUST me, from my test drive, this was NOT the case at all. Unless there was something wrong with the car I drove....
Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts

Oh no! Weather, now you are really worrying me.... does your dealer have another SH-AWD TLX that you could test drive please???
Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Weather, did you have a chance to compare this with the V6 FWD TLX? Did you drive that before and did you find the same issue, too?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If it feels like there is a computer between your foot and the throttle body butterfly valve... news bulletin... yes there is!

Would be nice if Acura/Honda gave us the software to configure the car ourselves. Voiding any warranty, of course.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Maybe it is VCM. Accord V6s are like this though much better in gen 9 than 8. The gen 7 without VCM had better throttle response, despite having less power.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
Maybe it is VCM. Accord V6s are like this though much better in gen 9 than 8. The gen 7 without VCM had better throttle response, despite having less power.
We're talking I4 DCT-8; VCM applies only to the V6 9-AT and only in ECON mode.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
I have noticed the EXACT same R>D delay. I had to bring my 4-cyl TLX to the dealer for an unrelated issue this morning (will elaborate in a separate post) and had the transmission checked. The technician took it out for a drive and also compared it to another TLX in their inventory. I was told there is nothing wrong and this is just the nature of the DCT technology. I must admit that I'm glad it's nothing with my particular car.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

OSTRICH....No, there was only 1 SH-AWD on the lot but I will test at a later date. It is hard to describe what I am talking about but I am not sure if you follow me. When I had the TL in a sport mode...when the RPM was in the 3-4k range, a simple touching of the gas pedal would yield an instant thrust forward, but with the TLX, all you get is an engine reving and no quick push forward, not exciting at all.

In addition, I found the use of the paddles were not quick at all...in fact, there was almost .5-1 sec delay and noticeable....never felt that with my TL and the ILX so I am confused/perplexed
Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Drifting

OSTRICH....No, there was only 1 SH-AWD on the lot but I will test at a later date. It is hard to describe what I am talking about but I am not sure if you follow me. When I had the TL in a sport mode...when the RPM was in the 3-4k range, a simple touching of the gas pedal would yield an instant thrust forward, but with the TLX, all you get is an engine reving and no quick push forward, not exciting at all.

In addition, I found the use of the paddles were not quick at all...in fact, there was almost .5-1 sec delay and noticeable....never felt that with my TL and the ILX so I am confused/perplexed
Weather, thank you for the clarification. So have you driven the FWD V6 TLX at all? Did you find the same response, or lack of, please?

I personally do not use the paddle shifter, so that may not be an issue for me. But the lack of response in the 3-4K RPM range sounds a bit disappointing.... now, with the TL, do you use the Sport mode a lot? When you do not use the Sport mode in the TL, do you find that it drives quite similarly to the TLX?

I am just very curious to learn more about your experience because hardly anyone has driven the TLX SH-AWD trim here and I also hope that this lack of response will not be a deal breaker for me.... I guess I can still walk away from this deal!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
Weather, thank you for the clarification. So have you driven the FWD V6 TLX at all? Did you find the same response, or lack of, please?

I personally do not use the paddle shifter, so that may not be an issue for me. But the lack of response in the 3-4K RPM range sounds a bit disappointing.... now, with the TL, do you use the Sport mode a lot? When you do not use the Sport mode in the TL, do you find that it drives quite similarly to the TLX?

I am just very curious to learn more about your experience because hardly anyone has driven the TLX SH-AWD trim here and I also hope that this lack of response will not be a deal breaker for me.... I guess I can still walk away from this deal!
I'm in the same boat. If this car doesn't respond like it should, at least as good or better than my Accord... no deal. I haven't put any money down so I'd be out nothing.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Is the tlx the first acura to use this new awd differential? That could explain things. It'd also explain whatever mag it was who claimed the FWD version felt faster
Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Drifting

I've been driving in Normal mode for about 2400 miles. I just switched to Sport mode. Low-speed hesitation and sluggishness seems to be much less than in Sport mode, but I've only driven about 10 miles in that mode. The car shot out like a bat outta hell on a right turn from a stop today. On the plus side, there was no torque steer and it stuck straight. I don't know if that will be consistent, but ... that was fun.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the experiences regarding hesitation when asking for power. I took an SH-AWD for a long test drive this past week combining city and county driving and found that delay at times. No doubt, the engine/transmission is refined and smooth but it did not have that "right now power" from the get go that I am used to with my TSX V6. I know I am spoiled with my 6 on a relatively light vehicle but I couldn't get myself to upgrade to the TLX. I do hope they bring an S version to the table when I do decide to replace my car. Please don't let my experience keep you from enjoying an otherwise great vehicle. My advice: test drive it over and over if needed. The papers to sign will always be ready for your signature.

As an aside, anyone else bothered by the lack of a traditional gear knob? I really hope they rethink this decision and the hidden exhausts.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Ostrich....No, I couldn't test drive a FWD as I didn't have enough time but I will need to test drive these again in the future. I am not trying to scare people away or be negative....Just pointing out something I noticed and that, for me, was disapointing.

I don't use the paddle all the time but when I do, I want them to be responsive. Teh delay in shifting seemed worse in the lower gears but I was hoping for a snappy shift, not laggy. You can try it and get a sense of how you find it...you still have your TL so try a test with your TL and then TLX and see if you see the difference. Was the unit I drove yesterday an anomoly? Who knows....but if they ALL are like this, then it is is disapointing for me and a potential deal breaker....I may go back to the ILX Dynamic instead.

pauldrmes....The absence of a gear shifter was actually more annoying than I thought HOWEVER, I am sure I could get used to it so that in itself wouldn't be a show stopper....what I said ^^ would be!

Stew4HD...Make sure you test that feature when on your test drive and keep me posted....I will be curious to see if it was just me or if you will see what I am talking about too.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Ostrich....No, I couldn't test drive a FWD as I didn't have enough time but I will need to test drive these again in the future. I am not trying to scare people away or be negative....Just pointing out something I noticed and that, for me, was disapointing.

I don't use the paddle all the time but when I do, I want them to be responsive. Teh delay in shifting seemed worse in the lower gears but I was hoping for a snappy shift, not laggy. You can try it and get a sense of how you find it...you still have your TL so try a test with your TL and then TLX and see if you see the difference. Was the unit I drove yesterday an anomoly? Who knows....but if they ALL are like this, then it is is disapointing for me and a potential deal breaker....I may go back to the ILX Dynamic instead.

pauldrmes....The absence of a gear shifter was actually more annoying than I thought HOWEVER, I am sure I could get used to it so that in itself wouldn't be a show stopper....what I said ^^ would be!

Stew4HD...Make sure you test that feature when on your test drive and keep me posted....I will be curious to see if it was just me or if you will see what I am talking about too.
I do know my SH-AWD would "bog down" when I asked for power at times and felt low on power. I though that it was attributed to the FI system and that DI would be more responsive.

I can't help but wonder why the reviewers don't mention it, even those guys on that hot lap video were all over the throttle.

We shall see
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Trust me, I want to be proven wrong and that it was an isolated unit.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Trust me, I want to be proven wrong and that it was an isolated unit.
I know you do. I don't expect this car to be a speed demon but I do want it to be a responsive one.

I am quite wary of it now. It just sucks that I can't go to the dealer tomorrow and find out for myself. It sounds like my dealer will get just one and it's the one I pre-ordered.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am not a speed person and don't need a crazy fast 0-60 because that doesn't appeal to me but I do want the throttle response to be snappy and not laggy, as with the paddle shifts.

For the record, and I need to say this again, for 90% of the time, the TLX is an AMAZING vehicle and handles great, is quiet and refined and comfortable. I am just pointing out that part that dispointed me when I was excited to hear that Acura had improved the response time, and yet I feel it was the opposite
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Drifting

^^ I am not a speed person and don't need a crazy fast 0-60 because that doesn't appeal to me but I do want the throttle response to be snappy and not laggy, as with the paddle shifts.

For the record, and I need to say this again, for 90% of the time, the TLX is an AMAZING vehicle and handles great, is quiet and refined and comfortable. I am just pointing out that part that dispointed me when I was excited to hear that Acura had improved the response time, and yet I feel it was the opposite
But Weather.... is it as AMAZING as our 4G TL SH-AWD? That is the question.... or even more to the point, after this test drive, will you still get a TLX V6 SH-AWD at this point???
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ In all honesty, from a throttle response and shifting point of view ONLY, I preferred my TL but the TLX is quieter than the TL and the sound of teh engine is nicer.

I have mixed feeling about the interior...I like some things better and others, I feel the TL was better.

I have pulled back from being a done deal to 75-80% sure I will get a TLX. The manual ILX is now starting to creep up on my radar..
Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Drifting

^^ In all honesty, from a throttle response and shifting point of view ONLY, I preferred my TL but the TLX is quieter than the TL and the sound of teh engine is nicer.

I have mixed feeling about the interior...I like some things better and others, I feel the TL was better.

I have pulled back from being a done deal to 75-80% sure I will get a TLX. The manual ILX is now starting to creep up on my radar..
Weather, I am with you about the interior.

The bits inside the TLX do look a bit cheaper overall than the 4G TL. However, there are also features which I will enjoy tremendously with the TLX such as the heated steering wheel, the frameless rearview mirror, and also the fold down rear seat!

I am going to test drive an SH-AWD TLX next week. I will make up my mind then.... I guess???

Quick Reply: DCT - Slow from R to D?