Curious about Rattles and Ventilated seats!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Curious about Rattles and Ventilated seats!

SIAP - anyone who owns this car are you hearing any rattles? I still have my 2004 TL and that is the one thing that REALLY pisses me off about it. Rattle in left window, right window, dash, sunroof. Maddening. In the market soon for a new car. Looking at this and the new C class for now.

Also, anyone with ventilated seats can you give feedback on the feature?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
So for mine is very quiet and none of the squeaks and rattles of the 3G, but many of those took a few years to develop. I do not expect the same thing from this car I am sure Acura has improved their construction processes and worked hard to make the cabin very quiet.

The ventilation seems to work well but I have not experience any particularly hot days as summer is just about over here. The cooling is achieved via a fan rather than a channel from the cooling system.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Tight as a drum so far...which it had better be because they made the thing so darn quiet any rattle in the cabin would stick out.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor

excellent. I agree it better be because theyve had 11 years since my car to figure out how to fix those problems!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Rattle-free after 3 weels and 700 miles. They have used spray foam in parts of the car that I am sure aids in this being a tight car. I like the auto ventilated seats. My RLX has ventilated seats but they have to be engaged to feel - not an auto-on feature.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
The TSX is the most rattle free car I have ever had (after 23 or 24 changes) and we have some pretty nasty roads in places. It felt that would be the case the moment I drove it. Hoping the same for the TLX. One other area where Acuras are that bit better than Hondas me thinks.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Had mine for a month with 900+ miles - completely solid - not a hint of a rattle anywhere.

The lack of rattles, overall quietness in cabin, smooth ride, these are a few of my favourite things...
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
The 4G was relatively rattle free too right?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
1 month, ~900 miles.....tight and quiet. Coming from a 3G with 95k miles, I really appreciate this. I feel this is as quiet as my friend's E350. I can't tell the difference.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
800 miles. I have a slight rattle near the rear right door (only noticeable if you hit a bump in the road just right). I suspect this was caused by my dealership installing the tint and putting the door back together less carefully.

I've also noticed some wind noise intrusion when passing trucks on the freeway and the turbulence hits my car from the side (also slight). I can't exacerbate the problem by pressing around the windows, so I suspect it has to do with the cabin air intakes in the hood.

I also had a slight rattle in my rear deck when listening to songs with certain types of bass-lines, but that has been mostly fixed by me opening it up and putting in some more foam where it was rattling.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced

I'll also say I was a bit disappointed the car wasn't quieter overall. The reviews all say it's extremely quiet, and I agree it is quieter than my old BMW was, but it's not amazing or anything. The main thing you can hear is tire noise on the freeway. At those speeds, you still need to have the music set louder, and it still requires talking louder when on the phone.

One thing I've heard is that the car is pretty well insulated, but the tires are particularly bad. Rated like 26 out of 27 in the category on Tirerack... If that's the case, perhaps choosing a set of higher quality tires in the future will help this get better.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Alex: it's not in your signature, do you have an I4 or V6. I seem to remember seeing something that suggested that the ANT allowed more engine noise in the cabin with the I4.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
The TSX is the most rattle free car I have ever had (after 23 or 24 changes) and we have some pretty nasty roads in places. It felt that would be the case the moment I drove it. Hoping the same for the TLX. One other area where Acuras are that bit better than Hondas me thinks.
My '12 TSX I traded for the TLX was also the most rattle free Honda/Acura I've ever had.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
i think the 3G was pretty notorious for having rattles and squeaks. They apparently fixed it in the 4G, since the three 4G's my wife and I had were tight as drums.

Hopefully it'll be the same with the TLX.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexboculon
I also had a slight rattle in my rear deck when listening to songs with certain types of bass-lines, but that has been mostly fixed by me opening it up and putting in some more foam where it was rattling.
I've also experienced this rattle during certain songs. What's funny is there really isn't too much bass for this to happen. And to think about it, the music is low enough for me to hear the rattle. So far, my only complaint for the vehicle has to be the sound system, especially since it was a big reason in me upgrading to Tech package.

Lastly, I've noticed a lot of wind noise going between the side mirrors. I think it's due to design as a lot of mirror's on vehicles now are placed on the door to reduce wind noise as apposed to the corner door/pilar location.

Last edited by ShiftinAt8600; 10-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
About 2500 miles and no rattles yet, but my 3G was pretty rattle-free for the first 5000 miles before all he'll broke loose.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexboculon
I'll also say I was a bit disappointed the car wasn't quieter overall. The reviews all say it's extremely quiet, and I agree it is quieter than my old BMW was, but it's not amazing or anything. The main thing you can hear is tire noise on the freeway. At those speeds, you still need to have the music set louder, and it still requires talking louder when on the phone.

One thing I've heard is that the car is pretty well insulated, but the tires are particularly bad. Rated like 26 out of 27 in the category on Tirerack... If that's the case, perhaps choosing a set of higher quality tires in the future will help this get better.
The TLX is pretty quiet inside compared to the competition, but the reason so many reviews, and comments focused on this one aspect is because Hondas/Acuras have always been notorious for their road noise, especially on their mainstream models, and they spent a lot of effort addressing it on the TLX.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
i think the 3G was pretty notorious for having rattles and squeaks. They apparently fixed it in the 4G, since the three 4G's my wife and I had were tight as drums.

Hopefully it'll be the same with the TLX.

u bought 3 TL's in one model cycle?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:52 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by chkelly
u bought 3 TL's in one model cycle?
No, actually four (I forgot one of the wife's TL's).

We lease, and every year our dealer offers us the opportunity to trade up to the current year's car for no change in lease payments. So the wife had a 2010, a 2011 and a 2013 (she skipped one year).

I had a 2012 TL before trading to a 2013 RDX, then to the 2014 RLX.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quandry
Alex: it's not in your signature, do you have an I4 or V6. I seem to remember seeing something that suggested that the ANT allowed more engine noise in the cabin with the I4.

I4. The engine noise isn't really an issue. Ya, I can hear it sometimes when I hit the gas, but that's a good thing. The ANC does supposedly allow more engine noise when in sport+ mode.

Generally speaking though, the car can cruise at very low RPM due to having 2 overdrive gears, so that is not a source of problematic noise. It's pretty clear to me that the noise comes mostly from the tires, since it changes distinctly based on pavement composition as you drive. The wind noise I mentioned is audible, but a minor component of the overall road noise.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
The TLX is pretty quiet inside compared to the competition, but the reason so many reviews, and comments focused on this one aspect is because Hondas/Acuras have always been notorious for their road noise, especially on their mainstream models, and they spent a lot of effort addressing it on the TLX.

Yes, it's definitely still quieter than most, but it remains within the realm of normalcy. What I had hoped for was the ability to listen to things like the most delicately quiet sections of classical music without missing anything or having to turn the volume way way up to compensate (not an option, because the loud parts of a classical piece would then be way too loud), even on the freeway.

Maybe there's still hope if I get myself the quietest tires money can buy (not sure how much a difference that realistically makes), or perhaps get Cartoys to install some more Dynamat around the wheel wells (might make no difference if the existing insulation is already the best available)?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm at 3500 miles. I had a buzz coming from the hood opening pull latch under the dash. It would go away when I'd lightly pull on it while driving. I popped the hood and it hasn't come back. Must have been a little slack in the wire or something. I feel like it's impressively quiet. Especially for being a Honda product. Very little wind noise but average tire noise on rough surfaces. V6 is quiet too, although I'm coming from a DI turbo 4, so I'm not the best at judging that.
I love the vented seats. Used them a lot this summer. I like how they run on high a few min when car is hot then back down to middle or low setting exactly when I'd want them to. I will say the seat fan makes a little noise but it isn't bothersome. I attribute noticing it to the cars quietness.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts
Almost with 2k miles. A 1k mile vacation in it and no rattles or road noise yet. It really is stunning with how quite it can be. Everything on the interior has a nice/tight fit and seems it will be that way for some time.

I love the ventilated seats. They work very well and easy to control.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Slightly over 3,000 miles. Cabin is very quiet except for two items. Recently developed a "clunk" coming from somewhere under car or inner fender near front passenger door hinges when (regardless of how slow), going over speed bumps or driving over transitions where torque is placed on body. Started about 200 miles ago and gradually gotten louder. Trying to birddog source of this issue myself.

Right rear speaker sounds defective.

Have started a laundry list for first trip to service department. Biggest complaint right now is very rough shifting tranny and Jell-O effect when stopping. V6 Tech.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Advanced

I've got one rattle that's become particularly bad, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. It's a fairly loud clunk, similar to what you'd hear if there was a screwdriver sitting in the passenger door pocket/well, or the glove box. Whenever I break hard after accelerating hard, it's like I can hear it very clearly sliding back and forth --metal clunking on hard plastic.

Of course, I've checked thoroughly, and there is nothing anywhere I can see doing it. I suspect either some part inside my passenger door (I think they opened that up when installing my tint?) or behind/under my glove box (possibly related to my remote start that was installed). Any ideas?

Needles to say, I have fairly little faith in the service people at the dealership, and suspect they caused this through some form of ineptitude.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
be careful of the sun glasses drop down. I had an annoying rattle-buzz on acceleration that I couldn't place, then realized it might be the glasses. Sure enough it was. Tried 3 diff pairs in there but they all rattle despite the foam inside the drop down.
The following users liked this post:
csmeance (10-11-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by colohusker
be careful of the sun glasses drop down. I had an annoying rattle-buzz on acceleration that I couldn't place, then realized it might be the glasses. Sure enough it was. Tried 3 diff pairs in there but they all rattle despite the foam inside the drop down.
Maybe the TLX is "tooooo" quiet?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts
The TLX is my 3rd Acura thus far. My 2004 TL had more rattles than I could even count, loved driving that car as long as the radio was on loud! Then comes my 2010 TSX, that car had quite a few rattles, but no where near as many as my 04 did. Then comes the TLX, which in my opinion is super quiet! Not a single rattle anywhere no matter how rough the road I'm on it. I have had multiple friends comment on how quiet the car is, some of which drive Mercedes and BMW. Just hoping that in time the TLX stays rattle free and quiet, but something tells me it will. And as for the vented seats I don't have them so I can't comment. I wish I did have them though, it gets HOT in Atlanta.

Last edited by ATLPatrick; 10-09-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Had an '05 3G. It rattled like a tin coffee can full of nails. My '13 4G is as tight and rattle free as any car I've ever owned (including some Germans)....even after 2 years and 20K miles.

When I test drove the TLX, it was even more solid feeling than my TL SH AWD Advance, which I didn't think was possible.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (10-10-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
Had an '05 3G. It rattled like a tin coffee can full of nails. My '13 4G is as tight and rattle free as any car I've ever owned (including some Germans)....even after 2 years and 20K miles.

When I test drove the TLX, it was even more solid feeling than my TL SH AWD Advance, which I didn't think was possible.
I have the rear deck rattle on my 13 and went through a host of rattle fixes on my 04TL.

The 2015 TL will probably get a number of rattle improvements and so will the facelift models. IN the mean time bring it to your dealer on your next service so they can place some foam/felt under the parts and stop the rattle.