CR downgraded TLX rating from 79 - 57!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
I amuses me how liking and/or defending an Acura is a bad thing on an Acura Forum.

I agree that the TLX does have issues, but calling the TLX a is a bit extreme.

That being said... I also like the current Lexus designs which is why my wife has a Lexus NX F-sport. I think the current IS is sporty but the size has always been an issue to me.
Sorry, My.Hyde said you're not allowed to like lexus designs because he doesn't like it. Everything positive you say about lexus is a clear lie and you must stop. Never say any of this again, or trouble will erupt!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Right, so referring back to where I said "manufactures put on one tire for all regions because they have to". 9 times out of 10, OEM tires are garbage anyway. But sure, lets rate a car based on the crappy and easily replaceable tires it comes on
Referring to my post again, Conti DWS are pretty highly rated, and were not OEM. 3 seasons were never in the car, so but sure why you even brought that up, but thanks again for your comments of the handling characteristics on a car that I actually owned, and was in my household for 1 set of OEM tires, and 2 sets of aftermarket tires. Who needs first hand experience when you can read the internet.

Right, and so the tens of thousands of more people who buy Lexus' over Acuras must all be crazy then
You really like to take leaps, but I am speaking to the IS specifically, not Lexus' new design language with the spindle grills. (I like the grill, but don't like the rest of the front end of the IS.)

You know what, forget it. The TLX is the greatest automobile the planet has ever seen since the release of the Model T. It supercedes EVERYTHING, including hypercars, in the looks, power, quality, reliability, handling, braking and customer satisfaction departments.
Yup thats what I said. I responded to an owner of a base IS200 calling all TLX models POS. Sorry, but that car + cash wouldn't get me out of my car. I had the choice as did 10s of thousands of current TLX owners.

Add that to your signature so that you can give yourself a pat on the back every time you read it for buying the greatest car
?? my sig is just a list of cars I own. Quotes about farts are more your style than mine I guess

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-26-2016 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (02-28-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry, My.Hyde said you're not allowed to like lexus designs because he doesn't like it. Everything positive you say about lexus is a clear lie and you must stop. Never say any of this again, or trouble will erupt!
Oh please. How hypocritical. I am not allowed to have a positive opinion on the vehicle I own, on the forum it represents, but yes lets only hear from the people who post blanket statements dismissing the whole vehicle as garbage. You seem to be the one getting all bent out of shape because people have opinions different from yours.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-26-2016 at 03:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
a35tl (02-27-2016), Stew4HD (02-27-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Yup thats what I said. I responded to an owner of a base IS200 calling all TLX models POS.
Ummm, wrong. (reference post below)

Originally Posted by Marcelechka
No - compared to the 350.

We opt'd for the 200 since it made the most financial sense.

We'll get a proper weekend toy
At the end of the day, we're both content with what we have so no harm done right?

Last edited by Marcelechka; 02-26-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Ummm, wrong. (reference post below)
At the end of the day, we're both content with what we have so no harm done right?
That's quite a different tone than your earlier post. You own an IS200, and you called the TLX a not sure what part of that statement is "wrong" irrespective of the later comparison to the model you didn't get.

Just to restate the obvious. Taco apparently has no issue with that astute, and in depth assessment, so it is obviously is OK, but apparently my listing of my specific issues with the car it is being compared to, including it's polarizing styling has struck a nerve. Not sure how that translates to "no one should like Lexus designs because I don't", but I'm sure a witty meme, or sarcastic mischaracterization of what was written will be offered.
a35tl (02-27-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
You lease a IS200, and you called the TLX a not sure what part of that statement is "wrong" irrespective of the later comparison to the model you didn't get.
Fixed.

Also, I drove both the TLX 3.5 as well as the IS350. So - based on my experience behind the wheel of both vehicles; good, bad, or indifferent, I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are...right?

You're up in the Northeast; I'm in Southeast... you see snow, I don't. AWD is irrelevant to me. Same goes for power; irrelevant for the time being. Current car suited our needs, so we went with it. 27 months from now, we'll get something else... all part of being responsible parents

Again - it's not that serious... we're good dude.

Last edited by Marcelechka; 02-26-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah Marcelechka you did call the TLX sh*t, I mean unless the poop icon means something else in your book lol. I think you need to consider price when comparing the TLX V6 to the IS350. Of course Acura could do more to the TLX if $5k were thrown at it. While there could be some improvements to the car here and there, it's a great balance between luxury/technology and value.

And TacoBello, you come onto the TLX forum and have nothing good to say about the car. I don't know why you waste so much time on here, all that TLX bashing must be tiring.
The following 2 users liked this post by atl7:
a35tl (02-27-2016), superblast (02-27-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
i got a IS200t loaner when i serviced my '09 IS350 couple months ago. the 2.0 turbo feels weak. i mean the purpose of a turbo engine is to get off the line quick, low end torque, but that 2.0 turbo has none of that. i swear i couldn't tell the difference off the line between that and a IS250. from i've read gas mileage of the 200t also isn't something to write home about it. the price difference between a similar equipped IS350 and IS200t is about $3k. i'd fork over the additional $3k for the 350. performance difference is night and day, and getting similar gas mileage. i'm getting 23mpg consistently on my IS350 with mixed driving and i don't drive like a granny either.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
i got a IS200t loaner when i serviced my '09 IS350 couple months ago. the 2.0 turbo feels weak.
Common trait of all 2.0T in heavy vehicles. All this low-end torque BS is observed on slow rpm variations on test benchs.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Common trait of all 2.0T in heavy vehicles. All this low-end torque BS is observed on slow rpm variations on test benchs.
not true, BMW's 2.0 turbo almost can go neck and neck with their 3.0 twin turbo I6 in terms of 0-60
Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
not true, BMW's 2.0 turbo almost can go neck and neck with their 3.0 twin turbo I6 in terms of 0-60
Well 0-60 are done by cheating, kind of pre-rev at 2000-3000+rpm.

In 5-60 (real-life, from idle), the 2.0T is not that great again.... not mentioning that it sounds like a Camry. Unfit for a luxury car.
silverTL6 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
So much hate from non-TLX owners. I don't think any TLX owners ever said TLX is the best car out there, but we ended up buying/leasing because it suited our situation the best. I'm sure it was the same for those that ended up with a non-TLX. TLX owners and prospective owners come to this forum to discuss good and bad, and we've built a community to help one another with whatever they're experiencing or need clarification to get into a TLX. All the hate sounds as if the non-TLX owners are having buyer's remorse...

As for the IS owners... for reals?! You can talk about the power, RWD, and other stuff all you want, but the tuning of the IS steering is terrible! I'd rather drive the ES because it handles better than an IS. Y'all act like you got a BMW 335 or something... The only thing I give IS an edge over the TLX is the exterior styling. Take IS and TLX out canyon driving or even track, with respective engines, and I'd bet the TLX will have better numbers while having comparable ride comfort even with the shitty GoodYear tires.

If you want to bash on TLX and other cars, do it on your IS forum. Don't come here trolling. It just makes you look bad and insecure.
a35tl (02-27-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by emailnatec
and I'd bet the TLX will have better numbers while having comparable ride comfort even with the shitty GoodYear tires.
Let's not get crazy here. Those tires are bad. Like REALLY BAD.

Look, I love the TLX. My 2016 SH-AWD Elite has been the best car I've ever owned, even superseding my 2007 TL Type-S 6MT. However, I will not give Acura a break on their tire choice for this car. It was a bad choice and after having swapped them out for winter (Michelin X-ice xi3), the winter tires handle FAR superior to the shitty Goodyear LS2's, even in warm weather. My dealership had one when it was warm that had Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s on it, and it was night and day. The car becomes very, very capable with a reasonable set of tires.

The car isn't perfect either, and like you said, we're not saying it is. But since I have a 2016, I think I have a clearer picture than 2015 owners. Their view of the car is tainted (rightfully so) by horrendous transmission behaviour. Over time, my car (driven almost permanently in Sport mode) has learned not to shift at 2500 RPM. It now shifts closer to 4k even on moderate throttle. I really enjoy driving it.

Interesting.

You really didn't like the cabin? I love how inviting it is... definitely a driver's car IMO.

Regarding the lease program, it was just bonkers...

Zero down, $269 / mo, 7.5k mi/yr, 27 mos. (Fully loaded)

The 350 F pkg would've been floating around $300 ~ $315.

No other manufacturer was remotely close.

TLX 3.5 Advance was quoted at ~$440 10k mi/yr, 36 mo. They didn't offer 27 mos nor 7.5k miles.

Canada prices
Holy shit that is a cheap lease. Definitely not happening here. I was waffling on IS350AWD vs TLX SH-AWD, and there are a few things that pushed me over the edge (also the Germans were out due to price alone, $10k more comparably equipped).

You have to also understand that the IS350 in Canada as of 2016 is only available in AWD form with the shitty 6AT. It's lazy to shift (feels like a Camry transmission to be honest). I drove a 2014 version that was RWD and the 8AT is WAY WAY better. Also 1st gear is only 3.52:1, while in the 8AT it's 4.596:1. Actually all the gear ratios just suck except 6th. It doesn't work well with that 3.5L engine.

Also, regarding the interior, here are my notes:

1. My back is too wide for the IS350 shoulder bolsters in the F-sport (I didn't want the non-F-sport).

2. That stupid, stupid design of the differential hump right by the gas pedal. I have muscular, thick calves and it kept hitting my right one as I tried to press the gas. I could just not get comfortable.

3. The cupholders annoyed me (minor).

4. The seats felt rubbery in the winter (-30C).
Old 02-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I just looked at the April 2016 Consumer Reports edition, and they are now including an overall score that incorporates road-test performance, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction and safety. Based on these factors, the TLX received an overall score of 55-57. It still has a road-test score of 75-79.

Hopefully this will spur Honda to try to improve the TLX. Better tires would be a quick, inexpensive improvement.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Different tires might hit the TLX fuel economy numbers adversely. Are they low roll resistance tires?
Old 02-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Different tires might hit the TLX fuel economy numbers adversely. Are they low roll resistance tires?
When Honda switched from Goodyear to Michelin on the 2016 Accord EX, the mileage numbers did not decrease. The Michelin Premier A/S is designated low rolling resistance, and received higher scores in all categories on TireRack. If Honda is serious about the TLX being a sports sedan, better tires would be an important first step.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
i got a IS200t loaner when i serviced my '09 IS350 couple months ago. the 2.0 turbo feels weak. i mean the purpose of a turbo engine is to get off the line quick, low end torque, but that 2.0 turbo has none of that. i swear i couldn't tell the difference off the line between that and a IS250. from i've read gas mileage of the 200t also isn't something to write home about it. the price difference between a similar equipped IS350 and IS200t is about $3k. i'd fork over the additional $3k for the 350. performance difference is night and day, and getting similar gas mileage. i'm getting 23mpg consistently on my IS350 with mixed driving and i don't drive like a granny either.
Just confirms to me that the Lexus/Toyota 2.0T is blasé. The BMW 2.0T, on the other hand, is pretty damn good .
Old 02-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
When Honda switched from Goodyear to Michelin on the 2016 Accord EX, the mileage numbers did not decrease. The Michelin Premier A/S is designated low rolling resistance, and received higher scores in all categories on TireRack. If Honda is serious about the TLX being a sports sedan, better tires would be an important first step.
Point was going to performance tires from a LRR tire will cost fuel economy in CAFE testing. High performance summer tires are wider, sticker, wear faster & not noted for low rolling resistance.

Acura advertises a sport sedan image but does not produce a sport sedan product.

A first rate sport sedan in similar size & weight ,its a bit smaller/lighter than the TLX, is running 255F & 275R low profile summer rubber out of the factory. That is a good drag on fuel economy but sport sedans are about sport not economy. Its not yet possible to have it both ways.

We have just reached a time in tire development where Run Flats are close to Get Flats in performance.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-27-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I received my CR today and took a look. I agree the main reason for the reduced score is the transmission but there might be some other smaller electronic issues. The reason I think electronics is that the TLX scored only 'average' in that category and got the half-black circle for transmission and a full black dot for 'used-car verdict'

I think CR's original score of 79 applies since that was done before they received the maintenance survey results. The Road Test score is still 75-79 that likely reflects the original score last year. They like driving the car- just not dealing with certain aspects of owning it.

I'm not sure about what the negative comments about the MDX are- CR is recommending the MDX as the best luxury SUV. It got a 76 overall score and a 79 road test score.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 02-27-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've been driving our new 2015 TLX for a few weeks now, and I really love this car. I did change my default IDS setting from Econ to Normal, and the transmission operates much more smoothly that way. Nevertheless, the rev-match on manual downshifts is annoying. I think the person who designed it that way must have never driven a manual transmission car. I've always done that on my manuals (a Toyota and VWs) to slow the car down. I understand there's a TSB to reflash the control module to get rid of that behavior.

But yes, I really like this car. Maybe it's because we're coming from a worn-out 2004 Prius? Possibly. And I mean worn out. 206k miles, it was starting to burn oil. They're actually known for this, starting at about 150k.

I don't really care what CR says. Also, we have the 4-cylinder Tech; it wouldn't surprise me if these are far more reliable than a V6 SH-AWD Advance. That's kind of a general thing, though; I'd bet an AWD Audi is less reliable than a base 4-cylinder.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:13 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a Lexus NX 200T F-Sport and I agree that in "Normal" mode a standing start is sluggish. Which is why I always have it a Sport Mode.

On a business trip, I was giving a BMW 328i for a week. That thing was damn fun to drive. My only gripe about the BMW is why would they have ulgy yellow halogen headlight on a BMW in 2016 and the interior center console was kinda ugly to me.

Anyways, back to the subject. Auto reviews and rating to me are just tools and should be taking too seriously. I don't take CR "car" ratings or reviews to seriously.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 02-29-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Lexus NX 200T F-Sport and I agree that in "Normal" mode a standing start is sluggish. Which is why I always have it a Sport Mode.

On a business trip, I was giving a BMW 328i for a week. That thing was damn fun to drive. My only gripe about the BMW is why would they have ulgy yellow halogen headlight on a BMW in 2016 and the interior center console was kinda ugly to me.

Anyways, back to the subject. Auto reviews and rating to me are just tools and should be taking too seriously. I don't take CR "car" ratings or reviews to seriously.
I take them as a starting point. If I read that the Dodge Dart is a horrible car, and it's unanimous, I'll take that seriously. There are few horrible cars made these days. Take a look at the JD Power reliability rankings, and you'll see that the top 3 makes are way ahead of everyone, and the bottom 3 are way behind everyone. Then there's a whole bunch of cars that are in the middle. It's a bell-curve.

I wouldn't buy any of the cars at the bottom, but I might lease one. I'm sorry to say I can't imagine actually owning a Range Rover for 10 years and 150,000 miles. I think you'd go broke trying.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM95831
I wouldn't buy any of the cars at the bottom, but I might lease one. I'm sorry to say I can't imagine actually owning a Range Rover for 10 years and 150,000 miles. I think you'd go broke trying.
Or Aston Martin for that matter!
Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
I only take the reliability of CR seriously. Otherwise, I can safely say that I don't take any car magazine seriously, as they are all for grins and entertainment (like reading a movie review).
Old 03-02-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Here's the current Talking Cars podcast where they reference the change in the way they rate the cars:

Say what you will - those are car guys and they really do have a working knowledge of what they're talking about. They aren't just hacks who got transfered from the Washing Machine reliability division.
The following 4 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
kixo (03-05-2016), LaCostaRacer (03-09-2016), Nedmundo (03-12-2016), TacoBello (03-02-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Drifting

I agree that CR knows cars and will appeal to 'value minded' people. I don't have any issues with the rankings of their sports cars- they like the M2 and I get why. They also like the Boxster and that makes sense too. Their practical side will rank the M2 higher, all other things being equal- because you have more space in an M2 and it costs less. I can also see how a Ford Mustang GT could rank similar to a Corvette with their methodology.

One thing that people who want to bag on CU may not fully recognize is how much $$ CU spends on testing cars. I don't know many car magazines that have their own tracks or buy their own cars to test. I can count of the performance results being consistent from CU because they use the track to achieve the results. They also know the track like the back of their hands too- so they would have a good idea about handling and braking aspects of cars.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I agree that CR knows cars and will appeal to 'value minded' people. I don't have any issues with the rankings of their sports cars- they like the M2 and I get why. They also like the Boxster and that makes sense too. Their practical side will rank the M2 higher, all other things being equal- because you have more space in an M2 and it costs less. I can also see how a Ford Mustang GT could rank similar to a Corvette with their methodology.

One thing that people who want to bag on CU may not fully recognize is how much $$ CU spends on testing cars. I don't know many car magazines that have their own tracks or buy their own cars to test. I can count of the performance results being consistent from CU because they use the track to achieve the results. They also know the track like the back of their hands too- so they would have a good idea about handling and braking aspects of cars.
True - not only do they buy their own cars (as opposed to taking a press car which may or may not be hopped up a bit) but they usually buy the most popular trim level so they're testing the cars that the majority of regular people would actually end up purchasing.
Monte TLS,MAX (03-10-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I test drove 328xi(twice), 335xi(once), 528xi(once), A4(twice), A5(once), IS 250AWD(once, older model), TLX 2.4(3 times), TLX V6 FWD(3 times), and TLX AWD(twice).

I SAT in the following for extensive periods of time(showrooms): 3 & 5 series, ATS, IS F-Sport, and TLX. My only regret is not test driving or checking out a Q50S but with all the electronic & DAS issues I kept reading about shy'd me away.

To be perfectly honest, the transmissions issues I kept hearing about with the TLX also kept me away for over a year.

My issues were I couldn't afford a new fully loaded 3 series($52+k) nor could I find one in the used market with all the features I wanted. A 328xi with the lighting package is hard enough, but with lighting & sport packages is like trying to find a damn unicorn. Same for a used 335xi(which is what I really wanted).

The ATS had a tiny trunk. A4 had a bigger trunk but cabin felt a little cramped. I actually did feel comfortable in the 3 series oddly enough.

When I sat in the new IS F-Sport, I cant seem to get over the interior. The hump in the floor your right leg touches when on the accelerator is bothersome. The nav screen looks like its sitting deep on a big shelf.

I test drove a used 2015 TLX AWD Advance with 10k miles. The transmission was shifting very rough during the test drive. I found out it was a loaner car. I was ready to walk out and give up on TLX until they offered me a new 2015 TLX AWD Advance in the color combo I wanted for $39K. Again, I was hesitate but I took a very long test drive and the transmission was a lot smoother than the used one. I purchased it 5 months ago. I'm at 7,500 miles now and its still a smooth ride with my first oil change coming up.

While the interior of the TLX isn't perfect or mind blowing, it works. One thing I despise is the software buttons for heated/cooled seats. Its distracting to be clicking on touchscreen buttons just to adjust the seat settings.
The following 3 users liked this post by reddogTL:
a35tl (03-11-2016), acuranj18 (03-12-2016), Stew4HD (03-12-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by emailnatec
As for the IS owners... for reals?! You can talk about the power, RWD, and other stuff all you want, but the tuning of the IS steering is terrible! I'd rather drive the ES because it handles better than an IS. Y'all act like you got a BMW 335 or something...

...as a matter of fact, C&D (not that I care about what they think, however it's there) thinks that the IS350 F Sport is a better Sport sedan than a 335i M Sport....just saying...

Habemus Papem! 2013 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6, 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport ? Comparison Test ?Car and Driver

The ES handles better than the IS?? Are you for real?? Do you think your FWD TLX outhandle an IS 350??

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-11-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Marcelechka (03-24-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Some posts have been deleted. I'm going to remind everyone, the model forums are not run the same way Ramblings is. If you can't distinguish posting in these two very different areas of AcuraZine, bans will be handed out.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyways, back to the subject. Auto reviews and rating to me are just tools and should be taking too seriously. I don't take CR "car" ratings or reviews too seriously.
CR scores cars as transportation appliances. They'll note that a car's handling or ride is better or worse than average but I think they weight things like fuel economy, roominess, and reliability higher than acceleration and handling. And for 90% of the drivers out there, that's appropriate. Clearly not the case for enthusiasts who are the majority of folks populating internet forums.

My daily driver is a 2005 Camry, a pretty boring car. But it gets over 29mpg on the highway (with a peppy V6), rides nice, and has a huge trunk. When I want something fun, I drive my BMW Z4 but I sure wouldn't take a cross-country trip in it.

FWIW, I'm on this forum because the TLX is on my short list as a replacement for the Camry (along with an Accord V6 or a Mazda6).
Old 03-12-2016, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by lmacmil
CR scores cars as transportation appliances. They'll note that a car's handling or ride is better or worse than average but I think they weight things like fuel economy, roominess, and reliability higher than acceleration and handling. And for 90% of the drivers out there, that's appropriate. Clearly not the case for enthusiasts who are the majority of folks populating internet forums.

My daily driver is a 2005 Camry, a pretty boring car. But it gets over 29mpg on the highway (with a peppy V6), rides nice, and has a huge trunk. When I want something fun, I drive my BMW Z4 but I sure wouldn't take a cross-country trip in it.

FWIW, I'm on this forum because the TLX is on my short list as a replacement for the Camry (along with an Accord V6 or a Mazda6).
As a side note, I've been getting 36MPG+ on the highway with my SH-AWD V6 TLX. I'm sure if you got the FWD V6 you could do better than that. The car actually makes a great road trip cruiser, and the I4 is actually sufficient for that too. With the V6 just be aware of the dog-clutch related delay going from 9th to 4th to pass on the highway. Some people can't deal with the planning ahead required of a transmission with so many gears and that design, but those dog clutches are part of why it's good on gas (less driveline loss, estimates are around 9%).

With the TLX you'll be slightly downgrading trunk size vs the Camry, except because it has no spare unless you opt for one, you get a compartment that adds to it.

I would say the TLX makes a really good daily driver. It's very quiet, it's good on gas, the seats are really comfortable, it has a great sound system, and the suspension is excellent on rough roads without the car being floaty. If you need more rear seat and trunk room, you could go for the Accord Touring (the '16's have a lot more sound reduction than previous generations), or a Lexus ES350.

If I were you I'd drive the TLX and ES350 back to back in the same day, and take someone else along (perhaps a significant other or a friend) for a second opinion. My dad has a 2015 Lexus ES350 and I'd buy that any day over the Camry. The ES350 is also available as a hybrid. The Mazda6 felt slow to me compared to those cars. As a side note, according to C&D, the Mazda6 is even slower than the I4 version of the TLX, although just by a hair, and the I4 TLX has the superior transmission.

Last edited by youngTL; 03-12-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am shopping for a new car, to replace my TL, and I have to say that Consumer Report ratings on Transmission reliability and headlights, are a bit disconcerting. Acura did replace my TL Transmission for free, so I guess I am a bit more leery there than most. Still, they stood behind it. But poor headlights? That is not good. Shame really, drove the 2015 TLX as a loaner, wasn't a major change, but mostly liked it better than the previous TL.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
The Mazda6 felt slow to me compared to those cars. As a side note, according to C&D, the Mazda6 is even slower than the I4 version of the TLX, although just by a hair, and the I4 TLX has the superior transmission.
I love Mazdas, have a Mazda Miata. But I wanted a really quiet, comfortable car and one of the disadvantages of the Mazda6 is road noise. They do, however drive great! The noise factor may be minor to you, and if so, the 6 should be a prime candidate. You can get a great looking car with all the TLX features for thousands less. But the TLX will indeed be more comfortable IMO.

Zoom Zoom.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pwjone1
I am shopping for a new car, to replace my TL, and I have to say that Consumer Report ratings on Transmission reliability and headlights, are a bit disconcerting. Acura did replace my TL Transmission for free, so I guess I am a bit more leery there than most. Still, they stood behind it. But poor headlights? That is not good. Shame really, drove the 2015 TLX as a loaner, wasn't a major change, but mostly liked it better than the previous TL.
Poor headlights ?!! . This is very strange as one of few things that I like on my TLX are the headlights. They are the best within my last 10 cars.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Momyc
Poor headlights ?!! . This is very strange as one of few things that I like on my TLX are the headlights. They are the best within my last 10 cars.
I was thinking the very same thing when I read that.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Consumer Report data is confusing as the the car on the surface appears to be unreliable but if you look at the detailed breakdown the only flawed category is Minor Transmission issues. I have had mine since June with a build date of April 2015. I have a a SH-AWD with a low 8000 VIN. This car has been completely trouble free. Best I have every owned. Transmission has been generally smooth and responsive and in my opinion has no more quirks than the on in my old 2008 3G TL.

Just had my first A1 service at 5,000 miles. Had TSB 16-012 applied to cover some of the minor issues it addressed. Since this TSB applies to both 2015 AND 2016 TLX's I would guess that 2015's in the VIN range for this TSB have latest transmission for the 2015's and that is is NOT significantly different than the one in the 2016's.

I would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone as long as the VIN is in the range for TSB 16-012.
Stew4HD (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Drifting

It is strange that a 1/2 black dot on Transmission,Minor yields a full dot for used car verdict. There are many examples of Acura products that have even full black dots and get a 1/2 red circle or even an average used car verdict.

I read the summary about the TLX and did not see any reference to the headlights.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
It is strange that a 1/2 black dot on Transmission,Minor yields a full dot for used car verdict. There are many examples of Acura products that have even full black dots and get a 1/2 red circle or even an average used car verdict.
You have to understand the CR methodology. A half-black dot in one area in the first year weighs more heavily on the overall reliability rating than the same rating in a 3 or 4 year old car. It's not unusual for the overall reliability rating to improve as the car gets older as long as new problems don't crop up.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Drifting

^Consumer Reports denotes a new model by making the production year red. The used car verdict adds ALL the survey complaints and normalizes things into a single verdict. This means that while the transmission had a below average, there are lots of issues in other areas (not transmission) that have prompted dealer visits. The real test will be when the 2016 survey results are available to see if things improve.

Quick Reply: CR downgraded TLX rating from 79 - 57!!!