Broken in....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Broken in....

I always park my car at the Georgetown Movie theater parking garage since it is just one block from my office.
came back from a meeting at 11:30 am and parked on my usual spot.
6:20, ready to attend annual AIA DC Fall Design Fête, I went to teh garage and found out my car got broken into...
Passenger side window got smashed in and my Iphone was gone. (used as main music player since TLX cannot recognize pod clickwheel.)
The phone wasn't visible from outside since it was hidden inside the USB compartment.

I went to the parking attendant office and ran into 4 other drivers with pretty much same problem.
Cop showed up and so on...
He told me that he can smell the NEW CAR SMELL and said sorry and can feel my pain.

Well... the worst part was the thief left scratches all over the paint near the window and window trim.

End up couldn't attending the Design Fête (the company i am working for donated $10,000 for 10 employees) and drove home in cold weather..
what a night...

Old 11-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by clk350
I always park my car at the Georgetown Movie theater parking garage since it is just one block from my office.
came back from a meeting at 11:30 am and parked on my usual spot.
6:20, ready to attend annual AIA DC Fall Design Fête, I went to teh garage and found out my car got broken into...
Passenger side window got smashed in and my Iphone was gone. (used as main music player since TLX cannot recognize pod clickwheel.)
The phone wasn't visible from outside since it was hidden inside the USB compartment.

I went to the parking attendant office and ran into 4 other drivers with pretty much same problem.
Cop showed up and so on...
He told me that he can smell the NEW CAR SMELL and said sorry and can feel my pain.

Well... the worst part was the thief left scratches all over the paint near the window and window trim.

End up couldn't attending the Design Fête (the company i am working for donated $10,000 for 10 employees) and drove home in cold weather..
what a night...

I'm so sorry to hear that
Old 11-14-2014, 10:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,596 Likes on 960 Posts
sad! sorry to hear that.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

thanks guys...
Got home spent 2 hours to clean those glass pieces...
It got into everywhere... even inside the air vent.....
Old 11-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I can relate to your breakin as I had almost the exact situation with my 3 month old TL. I took it straight to the dealer and picked it up a few days later after the repair. The bill for the replacement of the window, trim, repaint, and labour was over C$3,000 and that was 10 years ago. Fortunately all paid by insurance.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quandry
I can relate to your breakin as I had almost the exact situation with my 3 month old TL. I took it straight to the dealer and picked it up a few days later after the repair. The bill for the replacement of the window, trim, repaint, and labour was over C$3,000 and that was 10 years ago. Fortunately all paid by insurance.
I was planning to do but I found out the dealer I purchased, they don't have repair facility though.
They send cars to a repair shop they have contract with.
The worst part is that till next Wednesday all ALLSTATE drive-in inspection station are booked up....

Last edited by clk350; 11-14-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
That sucks dude.

Make sure that whoever does the work gets all the glass out of the door panel. Those small pieces of glass will rattle around and drive you crazy.

Also check the leather on your seat and the inside door panel itself. Those two might have scratches as well.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slick316
That sucks dude.

Make sure that whoever does the work gets all the glass out of the door panel. Those small pieces of glass will rattle around and drive you crazy.

Also check the leather on your seat and the inside door panel itself. Those two might have scratches as well.

thanks.

that's what the cop told me too.
The leather seem ok. I did carefully removed all glass pieces with vacuum.
I wish I had window tinting done....
Old 11-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Douchebag Thieves. Things like this make me NOT want to have nice things...(but then why should I suffer right)?

Would this fall under your glass coverage or comprehensive coverage (because of the scratches on the door, etc).
Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Very sorry for your misfortune. I freaking hate thieves! Good luck to you with your repair and iPhone replacement.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear this.... when I saw your title, I thought it was about how you have completed the "break in" period of your new vehicle and was enthusiastic to read your post, but then I realized quickly that it was about this.... SO SORRY!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am heartbroken for you....Accidents are unfortunate but they happen, vandalism is preventable and should not happen.

That is why I never take my fancy car to locations where I must leave it in public parkings and places like that because the world is full of SCUM BAGS and low life drug addicts who don't even freaking deserve to breath!! It pisses me so much when I see good people dying of cancer, people that have young families and have so much to contribute to society YET the these people are the CANCER of society.

*rant over*
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by weather
... vandalism is preventable and should not happen.
My mistake was leaving a shopping bag with workout clothes on the passenger seat and an exposed iPod cable (the iPod was not visible). There were 4 or 5 other cars in the same parking building that were broken into that day. My lesson was never leave any shopping bag exposed in the car even if they contain worthless items as the druggies cannot tell the difference from the outside.

clk350: Does not seem that tinting would have helped in this case.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear this.... when I saw your title, I thought it was about how you have completed the "break in" period of your new vehicle and was enthusiastic to read your post, but then I realized quickly that it was about this.... SO SORRY!
That's EXACTLY what I thought.

People are awful. If they don't get caught for this they'll get caught for something else. I am sure they targeted newer cars.

Do you have find my iPhone? Have you tried that?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I was expecting the same. Sucks to see something like this.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I work for George Washington University which is a few blocks from Georgetown. Ask garage for video surveillance. It happens a lot on the streets of DC but should never happen in a paid garage. Sometimes I really hate DC.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
My mistake was leaving a shopping bag with workout clothes on the passenger seat and an exposed iPod cable (the iPod was not visible). There were 4 or 5 other cars in the same parking building that were broken into that day. My lesson was never leave any shopping bag exposed in the car even if they contain worthless items as the druggies cannot tell the difference from the outside.

I know what you're saying but really you didn't make any mistake. You were violated plain and simple. It wouldn't matter if you had cash laying in the front seat. A decent, honest person would walk by and keep on walking. Unfortunately, the world has way too many dishonest and mean-spirited people who couldn't care less about anyone other than themselves. Am sorry you were victimized.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Goosew
Douchebag Thieves. Things like this make me NOT want to have nice things...(but then why should I suffer right)?

Would this fall under your glass coverage or comprehensive coverage (because of the scratches on the door, etc).

it will be covered as comprehensive.
What I am trying to do is get it under "un-insured motorist" so I can get a rental without paying for it.
I always had a second vehicle so I didn't need a rental so didn't elected "rental reimbursement" but this time I need rental...
Old 11-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by a32tl
Very sorry for your misfortune. I freaking hate thieves! Good luck to you with your repair and iPhone replacement.
My Iphone was for just music player. it's Iphone 4 so I don't care too much.
I just realize my camera was taken too. It was on the floor (back seat) covered with my jacket... well should have put it back in the trunk after I used at the construction site....
Old 11-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

I wished that that was the case... haha... it sucks.. very inconvenient...
Old 11-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

...for the record, when I said 'vandalism is preventable and shouldn't happen", I wasn't saying it from the perspective that the car owners are to blame if their car is vandalized...the OP was clear that he had nothing in plain view.

What I meant is that we can't eliminate accidents and when they happen, it sucks but part of life....There is no need for vandalism....if we weren't sharing earth with low life junkies who are too lazy to get a job, earn a wage and contribute to society instead of wasting the precious air we breath, the world would be a better place.

Instead of doing lab experiment with rats, I am not sure why we couldn't use these low life people that contributes nothing to our collective well being....

*I guess my rant wasn't over* (lmao)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

well... my mistake was I left my camera on the floor (eve though it was hidden), i should have put it back in the trunk. I was in a rush and also I always though the garage is safe since it is in the Georgetown.. (i have parked my CLK for last 3 years without any issues)... well.. again just some misfortune and my stupidity....
I was wondering that with tinting it could have been easier to clean up those glass pieces... not for any other preventative way from thieves..^^

Last edited by clk350; 11-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acford
I work for George Washington University which is a few blocks from Georgetown. Ask garage for video surveillance. It happens a lot on the streets of DC but should never happen in a paid garage. Sometimes I really hate DC.
The police officer requested but they only have at the main entrance.
Yes I chose this garage over the one in my building since it is open on weekends.. well... now I need to wait till a spot opens up in my building.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
As a high schooler I worked in a parking garage. Once an older lady thought she left her keys in the car and asked the attendant help her get inside. The guy busts out the slimjim, loses his balance, and shatters the window. At the very same moment, she realizes her corolla was parked on another level. I think the garage told the owner it was a break-in.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by a32tl
I know what you're saying but really you didn't make any mistake. You were violated plain and simple. It wouldn't matter if you had cash laying in the front seat. A decent, honest person would walk by and keep on walking. Unfortunately, the world has way too many dishonest and mean-spirited people who couldn't care less about anyone other than themselves. Am sorry you were victimized.
Well... I learned my lesson. Also in a way I contributed to the situation leaving
those in my car even though 4 other cars got broken into and all my belongings were hidden.. still... well...
Old 11-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

the insurance company requested receipts for my 4 year old camera (I paid around $1,000) purchased at the airport (duty free shop) in Korea when I was traveling.
Also receipt for 5 years old Iphone 4...
Problem is every 3 years, I dump old receipts...
Now I have all the instruction booklets but no receipts..
Man... things not getting better AT ALL!!!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

...for the record, when I said 'vandalism is preventable and shouldn't happen", I wasn't saying it from the perspective that the car owners are to blame if their car is vandalized...the OP was clear that he had nothing in plain view.

What I meant is that we can't eliminate accidents and when they happen, it sucks but part of life....There is no need for vandalism....if we weren't sharing earth with low life junkies who are too lazy to get a job, earn a wage and contribute to society instead of wasting the precious air we breath, the world would be a better place.

Instead of doing lab experiment with rats, I am not sure why we couldn't use these low life people that contributes nothing to our collective well being....

*I guess my rant wasn't over* (lmao)
I guess we are are saying same thing. the thing is... things like these wake you up and make you realize those nice bubbles wrapped around you is not so real...
Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Yup....Sad but true!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

Curious3GTL and Mr Hyde,

thank you!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Sorry for your experience. I experienced my first break-in to a different car about 3 years ago. There's something very violating about the whole experience and it does reinforce that there are truly sub-humans amongst us. It did, however, completely change "how I do business". I never have anything visible in the cabin of my car. No cables, coats, gym bags, etc. The only thing that might be there is a coffee travel mug.

Can't wait until someone develops the first FDA approved short term neurotoxin for automobile auto-theft systems. Maybe a few videos on CNN of people seizing on the ground, craping/peeing themselves, and frothing blood from their mouth, when the product comes to market will end 90% of these crimes.
The following 5 users liked this post by MedX172:
4WDrift (11-15-2014), a35tl (11-16-2014), JT4 (11-17-2014), silverTL6 (11-16-2014), weather (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

...and I would add that it would be great to have it caught on video so we could watch it time and time again and get a good laugh out of it!
The following users liked this post:
MedX172 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
...and I would add that it would be great to have it caught on video so we could watch it time and time again and get a good laugh out of it!

LOL! Definitely worth of the family video replay at Christmas dinner and perhaps a Youtube upload or two
Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO!! Sure would....Must be my Winter Crappy mood coming out so I apologize for sounding a bit cruel, but this kind of senseless destruction of property is so uncalled for.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
You stated that your iPhone was stolen by the piece of sh## that broke into your new TLX. By any chance did you have "Find My iPhone" app set up on your phone? If you did, there is a possible, albeit slight, that you might be able to locate the phone. Give to police the location and the DB could be arrested. Again, a slight chance, but it's worth a try.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad news. I also thought you passed the 600-mile break-in point

It hurts to see new cars trashed this way.

What do we have to do to protect ourselves more than we have already?

Do we have to buy a DVR and/or leave the center hatches and glove box open to show nothing is inside?

Speaking of which, I better order a DVR for my TLX.

Also, as someone said, tint wouldn't have helped. I think you meant it would have kept the glass itself more in place than flying around the car.

Good luck in these bad times.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Linmk2
You stated that your iPhone was stolen by the piece of sh## that broke into your new TLX. By any chance did you have "Find My iPhone" app set up on your phone? If you did, there is a possible, albeit slight, that you might be able to locate the phone. Give to police the location and the DB could be arrested. Again, a slight chance, but it's worth a try.
I do have "find my Iphone" installed and tried to locate it. (i also remotely locked it since I was using it as my Ipod, i didn't have a PW.)
The problem is that I is on WiFi only and so far it is off-line.
I am not sure how many theives have wifi availble at home or in public coffee shop..^^
Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Sorry to hear about the bad news. I also thought you passed the 600-mile break-in point

It hurts to see new cars trashed this way.

What do we have to do to protect ourselves more than we have already?

Do we have to buy a DVR and/or leave the center hatches and glove box open to show nothing is inside?

Speaking of which, I better order a DVR for my TLX.

Also, as someone said, tint wouldn't have helped. I think you meant it would have kept the glass itself more in place than flying around the car.

Good luck in these bad times.

Steve, thanks.
well I hope the scratches can be buffed out. I just don't want any paint job.
It will cost money (my iphone and most importantly my camera) and inconvenience.
Good part is that most of my pictures in the camera were downloaded to my computer recently.
Bad part is the camera was a gift from my brother and I cannot find a receipt.. so I cannot claim.

Again, learning a same lesson again but still worth to be reminded time to time about reality of city life.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I am so sorry man. Sheesh, you would think in Georgetown there would be nicer cars to go after!!!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I am so sorry man. Sheesh, you would think in Georgetown there would be nicer cars to go after!!!
well... people park nicer cars on the street (on display) or valet park and someone like me working in Georgetown park at the garage...
Old 11-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by clk350
I just realize my camera was taken too. It was on the floor (back seat) covered with my jacket...
Again sorry for your incident, but even just a jacket is an attraction as your wallet and cash could have been left in it, and even the jacket itself could have value. The morale of the incident, for everyone, is leave nothing exposed not even an empty shopping bag.

Quick Reply: Broken in....