Bright LEDs for under front doors (shadow lights)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bright LEDs for under front doors (shadow lights)

My first mod to the TLX (I'm not counting trunk tray as a proper mod). Starting easy.

So I've seen the cool laser shadow lights with images and they look pretty sweet. However, I'm concerned that images would limit the utility of the light, namely, seeing what you're stepping into. Anyhow, I bought these instead:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-lighting/led-bulbs/morimoto-xb-led-t10-194-bulb-replacement.html

Man, are they bright! Here are some before and after for comparison. Keep in mind, it's wet out and even so, they are bright:

Passenger side with stock bulb

Driver with new XB LED

Trunk with an old LED that I had still laying around, which was still a bit brighter than stock bulb.

Trunk with new XB LED!

The light color is slightly whiter than the mirror LED, but not cool white, more like natural white which is what I wanted in the first place.

They fit, although a bit snugly on the doors, you'd have to push them in a bit to get seated well into the socket, but no big deal. No problem in the trunk housing.

I've bought stuff from The Retrofit Source before and they've always been great (did a quad-HID setup on my 05 tl and a few other smaller projects with all parts from them). I ordered these late Thursday night and they arrived Monday!

Anyway, thought I'd share. Love how bright these buggahs are! Now I wish I could brighten up the mirror ones a touch.

Last edited by NoTrace; 12-14-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice. I wonder why Acura doesn't install these from the factory.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Originally Posted by flybyglass
Very nice. I wonder why Acura doesn't install these from the factory.
Because the LEDs cost dollars and the incandescent cost cents. And the majority of buyers don't care.

All about the bottom line, only doing the bare minimum to put the product out to the widest market.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Those types of LED bulbs fit in yours without issue?

I bought these (similar) for mine and they don't fit at all in the door sockets. The sockets are too wide for them. 2835 64132 Error Free LED Bulbs | Mercedes Parking Lights | Eyelid Lights
Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dezymond
Those types of LED bulbs fit in yours without issue?

I bought these (similar) for mine and they don't fit at all in the door sockets. The sockets are too wide for them. 2835 64132 Error Free LED Bulbs | Mercedes Parking Lights | Eyelid Lights
Yeah, they fit, a little snug as they are a touch wider than the stock bulb and touch the two metal "holders" on the sides, but with a little push they go in. When they go all the way in they also clear the tab on the grey cover.

The ones you posted don't seem to be a 194 size. I see T10, but from the picture they don't seem to be anything like a 194. Not sure why they've put T10 in the title.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTrace
My first mod to the TLX (I'm not counting trunk tray as a proper mod). Starting easy.

So I've seen the cool laser shadow lights with images and they look pretty sweet. However, I'm concerned that images would limit the utility of the light, namely, seeing what you're stepping into. Anyhow, I bought these instead:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...placement.html

Man, are they bright! Here are some before and after for comparison. Keep in mind, it's wet out and even so, they are bright:

The light color is slightly whiter than the mirror LED, but not cool white, more like natural white which is what I wanted in the first place.

They fit, although a bit snugly on the doors, you'd have to push them in a bit to get seated well into the socket, but no big deal. No problem in the trunk housing.

I've bought stuff from The Retrofit Source before and they've always been great (did a quad-HID setup on my 05 tl and a few other smaller projects with all parts from them). I ordered these late Thursday night and they arrived Monday!

Anyway, thought I'd share. Love how bright these buggahs are! Now I wish I could brighten up the mirror ones a touch.
+1 I got those for my car and my wife's car and they are very bright. I also like the color.