Brake Hold takes a few seconds to Engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Brake Hold takes a few seconds to Engage

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but when using the Brake Hold feature, sometimes it takes a few seconds to take effect. There are actually two lights one that says Brake Hold then an indicator below that which if I recall, says "Hold". If you let go of the brake before the second indicator comes on, its not yet engaged.

Thought I'd mention for those who aren't yet aware to prevent any mishap...
Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
I found that the brake hold feature is not so much about a delay, but rather it requires the car to be COMPLETELY stopped, and the brake pedal firmly pressed.
If you feather the brakes and come to a gradual stop (with very light brake pedal pressure), the system may not hold at all. It takes a firm press (once stopped) to activate.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Did a few tests this morning and came to the same conclusion. If you're just stopped with light to moderate pedal pressure, the hold won't engage but the top light will still come on which is a bit misleading cause you have to watch for the second light "HOLD" on the bottom before its fully engaged.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
The Brade Hold indication light comes on when the control is set, and the Hold indicator light comes on when the brakes have been applied. I am fully aware of the status while driving, and nothing about it is misleading for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:21 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to read a substantive statement on how/when this feature (Brake Hold) should be used. What I've seen to date leaves me with many questions... for one, is this a feature that should be engaged, and then left alone? Really don't know what to expect!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by nhester
I would like to read a substantive statement on how/when this feature (Brake Hold) should be used. What I've seen to date leaves me with many questions... for one, is this a feature that should be engaged, and then left alone? Really don't know what to expect!
I believe it turns itself off when you shut down the car.

I turn it on while driving stop -n- go in the city when I'm tired. It's a nice feature.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

It is a variant of features offered in other cars, and gives the driver the option to use it or not. In other cars there is "hill hold" assist, some are automatic and others manual. This is helpful when stopped on an incline where the brake is held even if you release the foot brake or do not use the parking brake. It prevents the car from rolling backward.

So the Acura feature is great for stop and go traffic and stops on inclines.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
It is a variant of features offered in other cars, and gives the driver the option to use it or not. In other cars there is "hill hold" assist, some are automatic and others manual. This is helpful when stopped on an incline where the brake is held even if you release the foot brake or do not use the parking brake. It prevents the car from rolling backward.

So the Acura feature is great for stop and go traffic and stops on inclines.
I believe we have the "hill hold" feature as well - which is always on and different from the "brake hold" feature.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

You are correct, there is a "hill start assist system". It is automatic (not setting or switch), and as stated it keeps the brakes engaged briefly. The "brake hold" would allow for an indefinite rather than brief engagement of the brakes.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
I use the brake hold feature all the time. Pretty much every time I drive I turn it on...plenty of traffic lights around me for it to make driving much more comfortable...I miss not having it when I drive my wife's RDX lol
Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Quandry
The Brade Hold indication light comes on when the control is set, and the Hold indicator light comes on when the brakes have been applied. I am fully aware of the status while driving, and nothing about it is misleading for me.

The confusing part at least for me, is the degree of pressure that needs to be applied to the brakes when the car is already stopped to engage the hold. Obviously, I wasn't expecting it to engage if the car isn't fully stopped. However, if I'm fully stopped and remained so with only light pressure on the brake, I was expecting that by pressing brake hold, it would remain stopped.

Also the first time I used it I didn't realize the Brake hold and Hold lights occurred in two iterations again, especially given that I was fully stopped.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I "think" I now understand how the "Brake Hold" feature is intended to function. But, I'm a tad less sanguine than others as to its safety: (1) do I really want to rely on an automatic safety feature, and (2) am I totally self-confident that once my right foot is relieved of holding down the brake pedal, is it not possible that my foot could wander over and depress the accelerator by accident?

I think it could potentially be a hazard to relinquish this much control to automation!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

There is no stopping of the increase in automation and a manually initiated function is short term measure as the automation process is refined, revised, and enhanced.

I was on a short drive yesterday in light traffic on a local road with stoplights. I turned on ACC and LKAS, and over about 3 miles only had to tap the accelerator a few times when the car came to a complete halt t a traffic light behind another car, and jiggled the steering wheel every 15 seconds when it demanded attention. I did not touch the brake pedal.

I would have liked the gap between my car to the next to be smaller, and the car to resume without tapping the accelerator. I am positive this will be refined in future models. The next innovations could be:
- recognition of traffic lights and stopping the car on amber and red,
- car to car communications, an advancement of ACC
- turn control from a tie in to the GPS, e.g., self driving cars

Most people will be satisfied if the vehicle can still be controlled manually, so if you are opposed to "Brake Hold" then do not use it, but change is coming.