Anyone interested in the TLX PMC Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020 | 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Enjoy your 640HP. No one ever forced you to buy a TLX or any Acura. Enjoy what you like!

I am happy that you like your car. Now time to provide me some data on Infiniti’s success 😜 please provide me why the QX50 is so successful and selling more than GLC lol!

anyway, with all respect. I don’t want to argue here for no reasons. Good luck with your cars and enjoy.

Hey, I love my 2017 QX50, Mini 5sec 0-60 "SUV".
But I have to agree on something. Infotainment sucks, Bluetooth unreliable, navigation is garbage, fuel consumption terrible, 7AT not the best..
Question is, why I bought it?
Great engine, good rwd chassis, great handling. (basically 370z in wagon form) 50/50 weight distribution, excellent braking with upgraded brakes. It puts smile on my face every time i drive it. Very direct feel, like old school sports car.
I wanted reliable sporty sedan,ute. Actually was looking to buy Acura TL, could not find any in pristine condition, so bought brand new QX50.
But, I would never buy current QX50, FWD,CVT... automatically "no go" in my book. It Looks good, interior no bad too, but driving dynamics gone.
Current Infiniti lineup is nothing special: Q50/Q60 is old, still riding on old 7at (great 3tt engine) and terrible steering. QX50 lost its performace... QX30 is with MB sourced trans and engine, noting special.
QX80 looks not bad with updated design, great v8, interior not the best, handling is not too bad for SUV on frame. But in general, if compared to Lexus LX\GX, it looks quite attractive, much cheaper...
Old 01-12-2020 | 12:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dmski
Yes, materials are better in the Q50 but the fit and finish is not. Like I mentioned the car I test drove was a rattle box. I don't have to argue with you just look at the sales numbers. Infiniti is tanking, but oh according to you the sales are down because people can't afford them. They can't even sell a brand new SUV QX50. Infiniti is a joke.
Don’t need to argue!

Some people just don’t get it man. They will say Infiniti is selling less than acura because Infiniti Only sells to $200K household income and plus lmao!

I have seen excuses that you won’t believe. There was one member here back in the days, wrote that Infiniti got 10,000 units preordered for QX50. I was shocked. But I was even more shocked when I saw Infiniti can’t even sell 10,000 units in 6 months. Even these RDX complaints aren’t half fake. You see a member writes one post and disappears. Clearly these people come just to spread negativity. That’s all.
Old 01-12-2020 | 12:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Hey, I love my 2017 QX50, Mini 5sec 0-60 "SUV".
But I have to agree on something. Infotainment sucks, Bluetooth unreliable, navigation is garbage, fuel consumption terrible, 7AT not the best..
Question is, why I bought it?
Great engine, good rwd chassis, great handling. (basically 370z in wagon form) 50/50 weight distribution, excellent braking with upgraded brakes. It puts smile on my face every time i drive it. Very direct feel, like old school sports car.
I wanted reliable sporty sedan,ute. Actually was looking to buy Acura TL, could not find any in pristine condition, so bought brand new QX50.
But, I would never buy current QX50, FWD,CVT... automatically "no go" in my book. It Looks good, interior no bad too, but driving dynamics gone.
Current Infiniti lineup is nothing special: Q50/Q60 is old, still riding on old 7at (great 3tt engine) and terrible steering. QX50 lost its performace... QX30 is with MB sourced trans and engine, noting special.
QX80 looks not bad with updated design, great v8, interior not the best, handling is not too bad for SUV on frame. But in general, if compared to Lexus LX\GX, it looks quite attractive, much cheaper...
Your QX50 is awesome! That model was the best. I was referring to the new one.

The old model was fast, great handling and sold more than the current generation. So enjoy
your car and I think it’s one of the most fan suvs out there. It’s a bit small but an awesome machine.
Old 01-12-2020 | 06:14 PM
Racer

Enjoy your 640HP. No one ever forced you to buy a TLX or any Acura. Enjoy what you like!

I am happy that you like your car. Now time to provide me some data on Infiniti’s success 😜 please provide me why the QX50 is so successful and selling more than GLC lol!

anyway, with all respect. I don’t want to argue here for no reasons. Good luck with your cars and enjoy.
I do not care about "success", we are talking about a car being objectively better than another as a premium sport sedan, regardless of sales success....you are the one that called Caddy "crappy" having no idea of what you are talking about.
The AR Giulia is an infinitely better premium sport sedan compared to a TLX even if does not sell as much.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
pyrodan007 (03-08-2020), silverTL6 (01-13-2020), someguy11 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020 | 06:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dmski
Yes, materials are better in the Q50 but the fit and finish is not. Like I mentioned the car I test drove was a rattle box. I don't have to argue with you just look at the sales numbers. Infiniti is tanking, but oh according to you the sales are down because people can't afford them. They can't even sell a brand new SUV QX50. Infiniti is a joke.
Re-read what i wrote...the Q50 is not selling that well anymore because it is an old car and it did outsell the TLX quite often in the past...check the stats and the forum old threads.

I have no knowledge of the new Infiniti SUVs....yes Infiniti is in a funk (as much as Acura by the way) that does not make the TLX a better car than a Q50.

Your "rattle box" is an example of exactly one so maybe you got a defective test car....there are many comments from forum members on rattles on the TLX, my Q50S never rattled and so many others. Assembly quality was on par with the Germans (better than the F30 BMW 3 Series for example). The Q50 is assembled in Japan, the TLX in the US...just saying....as a matter of fact the TLX is as American (designed and assembled in America for Americans) as the "crappy" Caddy....

I may be wrong but do not think there are many Q50 Red Sport 400 potential shoppers that would go for a TLX instead.

Infiniti may be a joke but Acura is as well as a performance brand and definitely the TLX is a big joke as a premium sport sedan. I went car shopping for my wife this afternoon (Audi and Alfa Romeo) I talked with other potential customers waiting, Acura was not in anyone radar.

The Q50 sales could have tanked more lately compared to the TLX because it is priced (MSRP) closer to the true premium sport sedans so people have options in getting better cars for little more money...the TLX price point is quite farther for any serious premium sport 4 door (unless you consider stripper entry level engines and trims) so people may be willing to settle more (still with good discounts).

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 01-12-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2020 | 06:34 PM
Racer

Don’t need to argue!

Some people just don’t get it man. They will say Infiniti is selling less than acura because Infiniti
So what about when the Q50 was outselling the TLX quite often (up to 1-2 years ago)?? Would you "get it" then??
I find it funny to read the criticism of Infiniti when at least they try to go in the right direction as a premium brand....people disappointed with a Q50 are not moving to the TLX that is for sure....
Old 01-12-2020 | 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

No dog in this fight but as a matter of my standard view of the world. I never make a judgement either way based on a rental car.
Old 01-12-2020 | 10:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
I do not care about "success", we are talking about a car being objectively better than another as a premium sport sedan, regardless of sales success....you are the one that called Caddy "crappy" having no idea of what you are talking about.
The AR Giulia is an infinitely better premium sport sedan compared to a TLX even if does not sell as much.

Enjoy your car! When Infiniti started outselling Acura in the USA and Canada, please create a thread and we will discuss. For now, I cannot answer questions based on your opinion. I need facts and numbers. Like I asked what happened to QX50? Infiniti makes very high quality cars, right? No one is buying it. What happened to QX30? Another hot segment, but yet Infiniti couldn’t sell and discontinued the vehicle.

I highly respect your opinion and if you believe Infiniti is a great brand, then it’s. I will never disrespect your opinion or try to convince you that Infiniti is bad.

cheers!
Old 01-12-2020 | 11:11 PM
Racer

Enjoy your car! When Infiniti started outselling Acura in the USA and Canada, please create a thread and we will discuss. For now, I cannot answer questions based on your opinion. I need facts and numbers. Like I asked what happened to QX50? Infiniti makes very high quality cars, right? No one is buying it. What happened to QX30? Another hot segment, but yet Infiniti couldn’t sell and discontinued the vehicle.

I highly respect your opinion and if you believe Infiniti is a great brand, then it’s. I will never disrespect your opinion or try to convince you that Infiniti is bad.

cheers!
Infiniti is currently a aimless brand with serious model range holes...same situation as Acura....it built some good street creed with the G but it kinda of throw it away with the Q50 which was softened chasing Lexus and it was not properly updated.

So, no, Infiniti as a brand is a mess and not as desirable as the Germans, Lexus or even Cadillac at this point....however Acura is exactly in the same boat.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-13-2020), pyrodan007 (03-08-2020)
Old 01-13-2020 | 12:05 AM
Safety Car

cheers!
They couldn’t sell the QX30 because it was just a rebadged GLA. The GLA wasn’t a very good car to begin with as it felt cheap, unrefined, and barely premium (kind of like the ILX), but at least it had the Mercedes badge. the QX30 didn’t.
Old 01-13-2020 | 06:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
A more expensive car will have a higher depreciation in total dollars then a less expensive car, Big shock there. That said you might find this interesting. You want to beat the system buy a Honda. You might also want to think about a Kia over the Acura as well.

Depreciation Cadillac, Acura, Honda, Kia, Industry Average
Having just done that...and with rumors that the (destined to be rare) manual Accord is going away, my depreciation might be better that usual. We’ll see. My “Dad Type R” will sell well to the right buyer.

A car is never an investment. Let’s be clear!

But I rather have an Acura, Lexus or Infiniti over a junk caddy!
Bruh....cmon now...I’d generally agree, but my V wagon, once door handles replaced, premature rust fixed, and supercharger warranty extended early in its life, has done pretty well the last 7 years. I will say, though, Cadillac currently has nothing of interest to me, and the diluting of the “V” name into lesser cars doesn’t sit well with me. Not to mention, that CT5 looks not very appealing.

Acura, on the other hand, is finally moving in the right direction. I have hope and I think I’ll be eventually be back in a modern Acura. It’s not like I’ve really left, though...
Old 01-13-2020 | 07:28 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Interesting discussion. Another example of why I feel like a good litmus test for products and services, especially for automakers (white male, 40ish, six figure income, family man, Midwesterner and car guy).
Lexus: Probably now a customer for life. They offer anything I want as a sedan guy (thinking LS is my next car), or a coupe once my kids are out of house, and what I want as a wife/family vehicle capable of towing an RV (GX or LX).
Caddy: Would absolutely consider as second choice. They make great looking cars and is the GM marque I would trust most with luxury, performance and quality.
Euros (BMW/MB/Audi): Would consider third. Still weary of short term (after year three) or long term (around 100k miles and beyond) when these cars can really burn you. All the chatter here about M3s and S5s on this site are already tempting me to try Euros again.

Acura: my TLX experience has already been shared. It would take a miracle to come back to the brand, but I really have no reason to with the three options above.

Alfa: Would not buy. Doubt these will last very long, not just because they are Alfa (who has a lengthy history of quality issues), but that it's also under the FCA brand, who I have zero faith in. I see brand new Jeeps, Chargers, Challengers and Rams and imagine how they will look as rust buckets after about five or seven years. Plus so... many... recalls.

Infiniti: Not even on my radar. This forum is the first time I even heard of Red Sport. You guys continue to talk about the models and I have no idea what a Q30 is vs a QX30, if those are even real models. Or the difference between a QX56 or Q80. I stopped monitoring this brand after they dropped the G35. When I see them on the road, they don't stand out as particularly good looking. I saw the commercials when their midsized SUV launched a couple years ago - was that a QX60 or something? I just googled it to see if I had the right model and I do... a see it's rated 3 of 5 and 7.1/10, similarly ho-hum as the 1G TLX. I liked that SUV at the time, but I had and will have zero reason to check those out compared to an MDX or an RX if I wanted the best in that category. What I read you guys say here about Infiniti makes me feel okay about forgetting they even exist.

Edit: after posting this, I realized there will be differing opinions. I just provided my perception of these brands as a totally, completely normal, middle class guy, who is likely the target of every model offering, advertisement and sale. My perception is my reality, which is the problem that some of these brands have (Alfa or Infiniti) with the commonfolk sheeple like me. I know what I know by reading what experts at C&D, MT and Edmunds write, none of which are writing home about any Infiniti models.

Last edited by someguy11; 01-13-2020 at 07:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020 | 09:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
Infiniti is currently a aimless brand with serious model range holes...same situation as Acura....it built some good street creed with the G but it kinda of throw it away with the Q50 which was softened chasing Lexus and it was not properly updated.

So, no, Infiniti as a brand is a mess and not as desirable as the Germans, Lexus or even Cadillac at this point....however Acura is exactly in the same boat.
Thank you for at least understanding that Infiniti isn't doing well.

As far as Acura goes, I agree but it's much better than Infiniti. With the new RDX, it's clear Acura knows what they want and yes their sales are stagnant but not down 30% like Infiniti. Anyway, let's see what 2020 brings us. The car industry isn't doing well.
pyrodan007 (02-01-2020)
Old 01-13-2020 | 01:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by someguy11
but that it's also under the FCA brand, who I have zero faith in. I see brand new Jeeps, Chargers, Challengers and Rams and imagine how they will look as rust buckets after about five or seven years. Plus so... many... recalls.
I had exactly the same fears when we got my wife Grand Cherokee SRT in 2015....I had a disastrous experience with a Chrysler 300M in the early 2000s. Well, the GC is turning out to be one of the best car we ever owned, no issues whatsoever, rock solid, very thick paint, very luxurious for the money (Our SRT has standard Alcantara headliner, Audi charges you and extra 3K for it on a 130K car).
Only issues were 2-3 software recalls that did not affect the use of the car at all and were comfortably scheduled with service. On the flip side, dealer experience is pretty dreadful if you expect anything close to a "premium treatment", salesmen range from unmotivated and incompetent pulled straight out of fast food jobs to world class hustlers and I have to "fight" for a loaner or a rental when the car goes for service reminding them that SRT owners are entitled to a loaner. But you get an astonishing amount of car for the money with the SRT specialized models.

We are seriously considering a Trackhawk as a replacement.
Old 01-16-2020 | 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Three PMCs have shown up in my immediate area. Not sure about the numbers of two but one is No. 247 of 360.
Old 02-01-2020 | 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Further proof that Acura is so out of touch:

Acura’s Hand-Built 2020 MDX PMC Edition Will Set You Back A Whopping $63,745

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/20...ing-63745/amp/
Old 02-01-2020 | 11:18 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Further proof that Acura is so out of touch:

Acura’s Hand-Built 2020 MDX PMC Edition Will Set You Back A Whopping $63,745

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/20...ing-63745/amp/
I would go for the MDX PMC edition for that price if they used the RLX 3.5L 377hp/341tq hybrid system. Not that great of a value considering the discounts on 2020 MDXs. I think you can purchase a 2020 MDX Adv, add A-Spec body work, and re-paint the same color cheaper.
silverTL6 (03-09-2020)
Old 02-01-2020 | 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Thank you for at least understanding that Infiniti isn't doing well.

As far as Acura goes, I agree but it's much better than Infiniti. With the new RDX, it's clear Acura knows what they want and yes their sales are stagnant but not down 30% like Infiniti. Anyway, let's see what 2020 brings us. The car industry isn't doing well.
Not all brands are down quite a few in 2019 exceeded 2018 numbers. Unfortunately some who did not make 2018 numbers took big hits in 2019. Lots of new models in 2020 will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 02-01-2020 | 01:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Not all brands are down quite a few in 2019 exceeded 2018 numbers. Unfortunately some who did not make 2018 numbers took big hits in 2019. Lots of new models in 2020 will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Exactly. That RLX Sport Hybrid Engine is beastly!
Old 03-08-2020 | 01:43 AM
Intermediate

I drove a RLX sport hybrid Friday and it blew my socks off. Sadly, the tech is years out of date, so I am shoot for a TLX PMC to replace my 2018 TLX A-Spec. Sadly again, there are no incentives because the PMC is exclusive. But I have been squeezing the dealer for freebies all weekend to off set that. If they can get me a decent MF I will pull the trigger next week