Anyone Considering 4G TL over 5G?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone Considering 4G TL over 5G?

Personally, the 4G TL Elite makes me smile. Very fun to drive and has every option I am looking for.

While waiting for the 5G, there is a 13 TL Elite in my area for $35k Canadian with only 5,000 miles.

With the current 14 Tl Elite at $51k here, I am guessing 5G will be similarly priced. So savings of $15k is very tempting...I know it is risky as possibly the interior and tech will be much improved over the 4G, but again I think the 4G is pretty darn good.

Anyone else still considering a 4G over the 5G? Thanks.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I currently own a '12 TL. I will likely replace it with another 4G TL before moving up to the TLX. Not that I don't want a TLX, but I always buy a car that's a year or two old to avoid the first year new car depreciation hit. I will ultimately have a TLX but it will probably be late 2015 or early 2016.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
nicholas....I think your logic is not bad at all. I am a little concerned about the "technology" in the new TLX given what I read on the RLX and MDX section. Its not generalize to all vehicle but some are having some issues...throw in 2 new trannies in there and that could be a recipe for disaster. I like having a new car and up until recently, never had any hesitation in buy a 1st year model from Acura (did it in the past with no issues) but now I am 2nd guessing myself.

I am now assessing whether I should be keeping my TL for a bit longer and see how the TLX fairs out....stay tuned.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
if you dont mind the 4G exterior styling, then why not!?
save your money and buy used.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
In a year or two I could see the 4G depreciating quickly if the 5G is a hit due to it's polarizing looks. I used to think it was butt fugly but I guess I've looked at enough of them on here that I don't mind it so much, if my 3G got wrecked I'd consider one if it was a good deal. When 4G's are regularly below 20K and a new AWD 5G is almost 50K I think it's a no brainer to save the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by 350:
Acura_Dude (02-15-2014), justnspace (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
damn, in the low teens for a mid to high mileage all freeway 4G would be awesome
Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If you search all the dealers (thats quite a job all by itself!) there are a few new TL tech and advance that are $7k to even $10k off. Obviously they'll try to make up for the discounts with accessories, extra paint protection (thats total bull by the way), extended warranty, winter tires, and some near rip-off financing options.

The funny thing is that if they don't move out the 4G inventory they'll end up selling it at auctions. Some are open to the public and thats where the fun begins. Also, sometimes they offer left-over inventory to employees for dirt cheap.

But, bottom line, well, you are much better of picking up a TLX in a year or so after production starts. Let them work out all the bugs on the assembly line first !!!

PS. Can't wait for the first TLX service bulletin or the first "silent" recall - lol.
Acura_Dude (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is why I am thinking that a low miles 13 Elite at $35k Cdn might not be a bad idea..run that for a few years..then see where TLX is at...
Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll almost certainly get the 5G. No chance I'll buy the 4G. Years later I still can't get with the styling, especially considering the awesomeness of my 3G. I don't plan to buy until at least 2016, so it's possible I may look to fine a used '16 as the '17s are hitting the road.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I really like the looks of the TLX prototype, but the lack of 6MT is a deal breaker for me. Let's just hope that 6MT will be introduced a year later or so; otherwise, my 3rd gen 6MT TL might be the last Acura for me as I do not really care much for 4th gen TL even though is still a fine vehicle.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:43 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
nicholas....I think your logic is not bad at all. I am a little concerned about the "technology" in the new TLX given what I read on the RLX and MDX section. Its not generalize to all vehicle but some are having some issues...throw in 2 new trannies in there and that could be a recipe for disaster. I like having a new car and up until recently, never had any hesitation in buy a 1st year model from Acura (did it in the past with no issues) but now I am 2nd guessing myself.

I am now assessing whether I should be keeping my TL for a bit longer and see how the TLX fairs out....stay tuned.
i told you before...you lease. if the TLX sputters the 2 years (or however long you lease) you have it...give it back. it's a little different if you own the car... hopefully Acura has figured out all of the "glitches" and hiccups of the tech in the RLX and the MDX so it will be smoother in the TLX.

the more tech and gadgets you put in a car the more chances you have for stuff to break. the upside if the all the car needs is a little software update to get things working faster (ie the touch screen interface) then that's the least of your concerns.
Acura_Dude (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
... hopefully Acura has figured out all of the "glitches" and hiccups of the tech in the RLX and the MDX so it will be smoother in the TLX.
Some things can't be figured out, I am afraid. :-(

AcuraLink was supposed to enhance the Navigation system, for example. You were supposed to be able to blurt out, "1000 Van Nuys Ave in San Francisco" and that was all you'd have to do.

Well, it works much of the time.

But it's at the mercy of the quality of the car's cellular signal.

I haven't figured out yet how this works, but the car seems to be able to switch carriers to get a stronger signal...but only after you've failed once.

So for some reason AcuraLink will hold onto a one-bar signal for a long time, and when you try to use AcuraLink your first attempt will be with the one-bar carrier. This could cause the voice recognition not to work as well as you are expecting, and it can even cause a complete failure...a failure so bad that your attempt to say no could be heard as a yes.

If you try AcuraLink again right away, the car seems to understand that you've had an issue and it will switch carriers for the next attempt.

I use AcuraLink quite a bit and I have noticed several times that it'll start out with a one-bar signal (I am guessing it is a cheap carrier like TMobile) and then sitting in the same spot on the next attempt it will have a much stronger signal (and I am assuming this will be AT&T or Verizon). Your second attempt, the voice recognition is much better because you've connected to Acura's servers with a much stronger signal with much less aberration and warbling.

This is all one dumb old man's observation and opinion, but I use AcuraLink quite a bit and I cannot imagine what else would be causing this.

AcuraLink is still a step ahead, but I can very well imagine how frustrating it can be if you are trying to negotiate a crowded Interstate while trying to concentrate on what is going on with AcuraLink.

Anyway...I think that is one example of, [Ronald Reagan Voice] "We're doing the best we can."

I don't see how they can do any better than this with the technology that is available, and at the price points the public are willing to pay for such services.

Last edited by George Knighton; 02-15-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:17 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

acuralink is something new for 2013 wasn't it? is it as streamlined as on star, i wonder?

the voice recognition has been around in acuras since the 3G TL and the 2G RL (i believe)...you'd think they would have fine tuned it by now! i know the BT/HFL voice dialing can be annoying at times when the car repeats the number incorrectly.

as with any tech stuff....it's not going to be perfect. i find the voice recognition on my phone to be pretty good...but i haven't played around with it much.

i think as much as we want everything to work perfect and in an ideal "star treK" type manner (re:seemlessly and flawlessly), you say something and it happens with the correct prompt, the tech is still evolving.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
the voice recognition has been around in acuras since the 3G TL and the 2G RL (i believe)...you'd think they would have fine tuned it by now!
The onboard voice recognition is not as good as AcuraLink's when AcuraLink is working correctly, for whatever that's worth. I was only talking about the voice recognition of the AcuraLink system, not the onboard computer's voice recognition.

The Audi equivalent of AcuraLink works with Google. I think that Honda corporate is conflicted and unable to decide for sure between Apple and Google, so we have AcuraLink. There's talk of integrating Siri into future Bluetooth upgrades, so I wonder if they are leaning in Apple's direction.

Now, speaking of the onboard voice recognition...I do not see that it is any better than the onboard system of the 4G TL. It might not be as good, in fact.

That could be because they decided to count on people using AcuraLink. I don't know.

i find the voice recognition on my phone to be pretty good...but i haven't played around with it much. :
The Apple servers that work Siri interface are pretty good. I believe that is what AcuraLink is trying to emulate. Unlike Siri, however, AcuraLink tries to work when it has a bad connection, and it seems to fail.

Siri would tell you outright that it's not working with your connection.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Grandpa

Of course, my whole problem with voice recognition could be that I've lived in Virginia so long that I've got some kind of weird Tidewater/Mid Atlantic thing going on.

For "without" I tend to say "wuhth-OAT."

But on the other hand, I thought I said "four" to Siri the other day and she typed "fur" so I don't know what the hell's going on.

:-)
Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Of course, my whole problem with voice recognition could be that I've lived in Virginia so long that I've got some kind of weird Tidewater/Mid Atlantic thing going on.

For "without" I tend to say "wuhth-OAT."

But on the other hand, I thought I said "four" to Siri the other day and she typed "fur" so I don't know what the hell's going on.

:-)
Voice recognition remains a field which requires significant gains. Siri is pretty terrible. The only thing I find quite good is Google Now, but still needs work.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

TLtrigirl....I agree that leasing takes away the concern of being stuck with a car loaded with problems but you have to keep in mind that I live quite far from the closest Acura dealer. So while it would still be under warranty, it would be an inconvenience to have to drive to the dealer to get glitches fixed on a semi regular basis not to mention teh fun of owning a new vehicle.

TO me, the appeal of Acura (in addition to its price point) has been there higher than average reliability. If I am prepared to deal with a car that needs to go the dealership of numerous occasions under warranty, then I would be just as well to lease a BMW or an Audi....although I am starting to think Audi is doing much better....correct KeithL
Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Voice recognition remains a field which requires significant gains. Siri is pretty terrible. The only thing I find quite good is Google Now, but still needs work.
google now on my phone works fairly well...as long as the mic isn't blocked

@george k....i have no idea about siri since i refused to get an iphone.

Originally Posted by weather
TLtrigirl....I agree that leasing takes away the concern of being stuck with a car loaded with problems but you have to keep in mind that I live quite far from the closest Acura dealer. So while it would still be under warranty, it would be an inconvenience to have to drive to the dealer to get glitches fixed on a semi regular basis not to mention teh fun of owning a new vehicle.

TO me, the appeal of Acura (in addition to its price point) has been there higher than average reliability. If I am prepared to deal with a car that needs to go the dealership of numerous occasions under warranty, then I would be just as well to lease a BMW or an Audi....although I am starting to think Audi is doing much better....correct KeithL
i don't think the TLX will have a ton of issues out the door (at least i hope not)...it's hit and miss as to whether the first model year will have issues or not. we have a 1 st MY accord with few issues if any in all the time we've had it (going on 11 yrs). then again....every car maker has it's issues. Acura still ranked pretty high in reliability last i checked.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I agree and had a good experience with my 2009 TSX (which was a first year model) as with the 2013 RDX (except the clunking in the rear but that is an annoyance only)....Where I get a bit worried is seeing some of the more serious electrical/electronic problem with the 2014 RLX and MDX.

I am with you, I want to hope that Acura has got their act together and won't drop their high reliability reputation