Acura's Dave Marek: Future Brand Styling Will "Go Farther"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
Honda really is in more trouble than we know. 2 former CEO's visit the current CEO for a heart to heart. Interesting read -- "Insiders Think There's Something 'Fundamentally Wrong' At Honda". It seems one big concern is that they're in denial that they're in trouble -- just like GM for years.

Read more: Insiders Think There's Something 'Fundamentally Wrong' At Honda - Business Insider

I don't think they are in that much trouble. The article is just asking the question and speculating. Toyota and Nissan must love this article

Do they need to make s some changes, no doubt.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm a Honda fan. But I grew up in Detroit and saw the big 3 lose their way -- ""All of us think there's something more fundamentally wrong with the company," he said, referring to a group of concerned Honda former senior executives. "But all the company's doing is to get through recalls one by one instead of comprehensively reviewing operations."

But this is the article that opened my eyes -- Honda is following in the same market deaf footsteps as the big 3 before they fell imo -

In May of 2009, Jim Collins, an author who contributes to the Harvard Business Review and other business journals, published How the Mighty Fall. In the book, Collins describes the five stages of demise in the world of modern business. They are:

Stage 1: Hubris Born of Success
Stage 2: Undisciplined Pursuit of More
Stage 3: Denial of Risk and Peril
Stage 4: Grasping for Salvation
Stage 5: Capitulation to Irrelevance or Death

Click the link below to read more of the article from 2012

Why Honda Is In Even More Trouble Than You Think [Deep Thoughts] | Car and Driver Blog

Last edited by Glashub; 11-12-2014 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Wow, every time I get a little excited about buying a TLX I read stuff like this. I wish I knew if you guys know what you're talking about or if it's all BS.

Sometimes I wish that I had never heard about this forum.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wlkeel
Wow, every time I get a little excited about buying a TLX I read stuff like this. I wish I knew if you guys know what you're talking about or if it's all BS.

Don't let it get to you. It's like this on every car forum I have on. My advice, pay attention to what the guys that actually own the car say.

Things sometimes get blown way out of proportions here.
wlkeel (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

When very senior executives take no bonus & 20% pay cut to apologize over quality issues there is a problem.

Good news is it looks like they are addressing those issues unlike what GM & Chrysler did.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying they can't build a great car. I think it's a real advantage that they have the big 3 as a model of what not to do and how to right the ship. That said, honest discussion is of critical importance. That's all we're doing. I'm not sure why people perceive the truth as a personal attack on what they stand for. Know what the original meaning of the word "skeptic" was? Seeker of truth. I became a skeptic about Honda when they foisted their version of the Chevrolet Cavalier on the world -- the 2012 Civic! That POS was hubris. I rented a Honda (past gen) and I hated it. The noise -- the low quality materials -- that lack of care. It looks like they are turning it around but the article is really about how they're running from emergency to emergency rather than executing a cogent and coherent plan. Can you really say you haven't seen evidence of that with Acura? Rather than be a market leader -- we see them react -- always reacting. There was a time when Acura was a brand to proudly own. I owned 3.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Before the very first car was sold to a customer, through years of field testing around the country and in labs, corporate knew they had transmission hard shifting issues, transmissions shifting to neutral without notice, Jell-O suspension dampening issues (don't wait or expect Acura to fix this problem on 2015 models), cylinder management issues, front strut mount issues, ANC issues, center stack electronic issues, cross traffic audio warning issues, bad reflections in drivers outside mirror, etc. Most of these are issues above and beyond normal new car issues. Either and/or poor design, engineering, testing, implementation.
I am just curious and am interested to learn more about this - I assume that you did not know about these problems before your purchased your TLX, otherwise, you would not have bought one. How did you then get to know that corporate had known about all of these issues before the TLX was released? So you had no inkling that there were such issues going on before you bought the TLX, even though you have been so close to the industry? I am not doubting anything that you said, but I am just trying to understand better what the situation is.

So far, I have not experienced most of these issues listed here - perhaps I am just so ignorant that I have not even been able to notice them even though they may be staring me in my face. Or perhaps I have not owned the vehicle long enough yet to uncover these issues. Time will tell...
Davinci547Acura (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I am just curious and am interested to learn more about this - I assume that you did not know about these problems before your purchased your TLX, otherwise, you would not have bought one. How did you then get to know that corporate had known about all of these issues before the TLX was released? So you had no inkling that there were such issues going on before you bought the TLX, even though you have been so close to the industry? I am not doubting anything that you said, but I am just trying to understand better what the situation is.

So far, I have not experienced most of these issues listed here - perhaps I am just so ignorant that I have not even been able to notice them even though they may be staring me in my face. Or perhaps I have not owned the vehicle long enough yet to uncover these issues. Time will tell...
All manufacturers send out test fleets of their new cars months before they are initially introduced and sold to customers. These "mules" can initially be in the form of cobbled platforms or hand built completed cars about to be introduced and anything in between.

For many years I have traveled across the sunbelt here in the states and often have seen camouflaged new vehicles in Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico and Oklahoma months before they are introduced. These vehicles normally have two occupants on board with a multitude of computers and electronic equipment for testing purposes. In fact I saw several black camo 2009 TSX's running around the desert in Nevada and downtown Las Vegas over a year before the car was introduced to public. A convoy of Hyundai's passed me in Utah on I-15 one night in heavy rain traveling well above the 80 mph speed limit and this particular model wasn't introduced until two years later. Just recently saw a camo KIA SUV on I-40 in Oklahoma that driver did everything possible to keep me from snapping a photo of the front end.

A fleet of TLX's was photographed (and well published) in CA just a few months and weeks before it was introduced in August. These cars came off the preproduction line and were basically complete cars being computer tweaked. All vendor components for the model had already been ordered months prior and fabricated for shipment to the factory or they couldn't meet the anticipated production introduction date. With all that being said.....

I believe the TLX was originally scheduled for an April intro date, then May, then July, then finally August. Many people were curious why the intro date kept being pushed back and it was frustrating dealers also because all they had to sell were SUV's. Were there production issues, component issues, programming issues, technical issues, etc?

Transmissions for example: Other manufacturers have been previously specifying the ZF transmissions and having shifting issues. Good example was Chrysler, they had well documented issues with this transmission.

With thousands of TLX owners now complaining about transmission shifting issues, why was the programming not worked out during all the months the final test mules were running around the country and before we purchase the cars. Honda didn't start building cars for the first time last August and neither did ZF begin building transmissions last August. Just an example of there has been plenty of time to work out these bugs before we have to deal with them at every stop signal.

The Jell-O suspension damping issue had to already been experienced by test drivers months before the car was introduced. Personally I believe this is a side effect that wasn't anticipated when the selective ride system was originally designed and engineered, then it was too late to back up, it had to go into production because it is tied to the ride modes; economy, normal, sport and sport+.

I could continue on about the other items I previously mentioned but unnecessary.

Why did I buy the TLX? It was preordered in early June to replace a TSX that had been a multiple documented lemon since day one, but that is another subject. I was anticipating a great car in the TLX and basically it is. But personally feel several common sense bugs could have been corrected before introduction. The One-Pack videos have documented several of the issues I and many other owners have encountered.

Every manufacturer has issues because new models with the latest bells and whistles are being pushed out the door as fast as possible trying to make a sell before the competition. But many owners are finally getting tired of being the guinea pigs and beta testers. Because we are the ones that spent $40K on a new car and are having to deal with issues every time we get behind the wheel, plus all the time trying to get issues corrected.

I haven't given up on Acura but am frustrated. I would welcome the opportunity to sit with Michael Accavitti for just one hour and talk with him from an owners perspective and 15 years experience with the Acura brand.

Last edited by Davinci547Acura; 11-13-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts

Acura for 15+ years and a TLX V6 Tech. All car manufacturers and all car models have issues, just the nature of the beast and how all new vehicles are being fast tracked to the market now.

Do I still believe in the company...yes. Overall I have been happier with Acura for the last 15 years than I was with GM for the previous 35 years before them.

But the most important entity in my relationship with Acura is my selling dealer, I love them and stand behind them100% from upper management to the guys that deliver the car from service. Your dealer is a major part of your purchase and it starts at the top. I've experienced some real crappy GM service departments and even a couple of Acura service departments that need a 101 refresher course in basic consumer relations.

Hopefully you can purchase from a good dealer, then go for it!
JT4 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Although I don't own the TLX, I share your experience with the dealer experience and why I struggle so much to walk away from Acura. I want to keep hoping the TLX's issue will be resolved by next spring but in order to get the car I want for the spring, I'll need to do a special custom order soon. Given that I have a few weeks left before a decision is made, I have to start accepting that my next car will likely not be an Acura.

I want to see what the ILX MMC looks like but if they changed the car too much, I'll walk away too because although I would welcome cosmetic and refinements in road noise and such....changing the drivetrain too much or introducing too much technology will put the ILX on par with the TLX with its share of problems....*sigh*
Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Dave Marek is a very talented guy and his design philosophies are very close to Soichiro Honda's way of doing things... but Honda and Acura have been hit with quality issues lately... so... I think design will not be too high in the priorities for the next little while. Quality will become a top priority, especially what comes from 3rd party suppliers and assembly line total quality control.

Bed time reading: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IW0UH20141112
Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

O.K., so I overreacted a bit. Of course good honest discussion, whether positive or negative, is always beneficial and welcome. Sometimes we have bad days.

And I have really learned a lot from the forum. Heck, on my last test drive the salesperson asked how come I knew so much about the I4 Tech.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

O.K., so I overreacted a bit. Of course good honest discussion, whether positive or negative, is always beneficial and welcome. Sometimes we have bad days.

And I have really learned a lot from the forum. Heck, on my last test drive the salesperson asked how come I knew so much about the I4 Tech.
That's funny you mention that about what we've learned here. I get asked questions by the sales staff too. The sales people know enough to be vague in their answers a lot of the time. I shouldn't know more than them about a car they sell.

We all have bad days. I understood your meaning though and it's a legit concern. Some here would have you think that the car is "a turd on wheels " and worse while others shower praise on the car. IMO, there is no perfect car car for everyone. If it meets your requirements. .. then that's the one. When you have several that do meet them... then you get to toss a coin, draw straws, choose by the hot receptionist, dealership experience... and so on.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:44 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Acura for 15+ years and a TLX V6 Tech. All car manufacturers and all car models have issues, just the nature of the beast and how all new vehicles are being fast tracked to the market now.

Do I still believe in the company...yes. Overall I have been happier with Acura for the last 15 years than I was with GM for the previous 35 years before them.

But the most important entity in my relationship with Acura is my selling dealer, I love them and stand behind them100% from upper management to the guys that deliver the car from service. Your dealer is a major part of your purchase and it starts at the top. I've experienced some real crappy GM service departments and even a couple of Acura service departments that need a 101 refresher course in basic consumer relations.

Hopefully you can purchase from a good dealer, then go for it!
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Although I don't own the TLX, I share your experience with the dealer experience and why I struggle so much to walk away from Acura. I want to keep hoping the TLX's issue will be resolved by next spring but in order to get the car I want for the spring, I'll need to do a special custom order soon. Given that I have a few weeks left before a decision is made, I have to start accepting that my next car will likely not be an Acura.

I want to see what the ILX MMC looks like but if they changed the car too much, I'll walk away too because although I would welcome cosmetic and refinements in road noise and such....changing the drivetrain too much or introducing too much technology will put the ILX on par with the TLX with its share of problems....*sigh*

^^ This is so true and why it was very difficult for me 2 months ago not to purchase my 4th Acura and 3rd MDX. I have been using my dealer since 2004 and they have been great, especially the service dept..

When you build a rapport with your dealer and everyone knows you it's very difficult to go elsewhere. Sometimes that trust/comfort is very difficult to re-create.