2016 Maxima or TLX - which is a 4 door sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:31 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 12-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
It's really a question of what you want in a car, so I find the debate about sport sedan vs sporty luxury sedan to be somewhat academic…….but fun for the true enthusiasts. I just don't care which car is considered by experts to be sportier - it's which one I prefer that counts.

I would also suggest that a large segment of the people who buy luxury sport sedans typically don't drive them in conditions where true sport handling at high speeds is ever a factor…and thankfully so, as their driving prowess seldom matches the car's capabilities. If I had a nickel for every cautious driver in high end BMWs, i'd be a wealthy man today…okay…a buck for every said driver.

BTW, my other ride is a 2014 2.5 SL Altima, which I have come to appreciate for it's reliability and smooth and quiet ride, albeit with that CVT 4 cylinder acceleration noise. Not a bad looking car either, with excellent fuel economy.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
It's really a question of what you want in a car, so I find the debate about sport sedan vs sporty luxury sedan to be somewhat academic…….but fun for the true enthusiasts. I just don't care which car is considered by experts to be sportier - it's which one I prefer that counts.

I would also suggest that a large segment of the people who buy luxury sport sedans typically don't drive them in conditions where true sport handling at high speeds is ever a factor…and thankfully so, as their driving prowess seldom matches the car's capabilities. If I had a nickel for every cautious driver in high end BMWs, i'd be a wealthy man today…okay…a buck for every said driver.

BTW, my other ride is a 2014 2.5 SL Altima, which I have come to appreciate for it's reliability and smooth and quiet ride, albeit with that CVT 4 cylinder acceleration noise. Not a bad looking car either, with excellent fuel economy.
Heh - When I posted this thread it was all in fun but also I thought it was interesting to get an objective opinion on the differences between the TLX and the Maxima as they could be cross-shopped by some.

I'm curious as to why you went with the 2014 Altima vs the 2014 Accord?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Heh - When I posted this thread it was all in fun but also I thought it was interesting to get an objective opinion on the differences between the TLX and the Maxima as they could be cross-shopped by some.

I'm curious as to why you went with the 2014 Altima vs the 2014 Accord?
I always appreciate your posts btw!! It was more a tongue slightly in cheek comment related to other interesting but more serious posts.

Great question. I would have stayed with Honda (had other Accords and Civics) but at the time was moving from my 2012 TSX Tech and wanted to save money. I knew the Sales manager at the Nissan/Infinity dealership and did like the features, looks, price, and fuel economy. I must admit i preferred the Accord's CVT, but c'est la vie. I subsequently turned in my wife's Civic near the end of it's lease and got the 2015 TLX.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
You would then be surprised as to how many of us old bald guys show up at track days with their sport sedans & coupes. Lot easier now getting my helmet on & off than when I had a lot of fur. Some of the ones I go up to VIR with in the Tar Heel BMWCCA are very conservative DD's.

Generally its the younger guys who participate in one of the National Race series. Two former national champs among the younger guys.

That said its pretty much rare to none that you would ever see a TL/TLX at a track days. The two types of cars just typically attract different types of people.

Nothing wrong with that just different people with different interests.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-03-2015 at 09:22 PM.