Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

The World of Tripods

Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The World of Tripods

I have been trying to use an old, flimsy, and short tripod that my parents got with a video camera in the '90s. It has been more of a handicap than helpful.

I have been browsing for tripods, but to be honest, I'm totally lost. This is where AZ comes in

I just want to be educated on tripods before I make a few hundred dollar decision.

Just to through out a few terms that I have come across: ball head, quick release plate, carbon fiber, gitzo, bogen, feisol... I have an idea of what most of the things are but want to know how they work on a tripod and what brands are better.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We can provide some more targeted advice if you give us a budget to work with. You can dump a reasonable amount of money or a whole lot of it into your camera support(s). It depends on your needs and your ambitions.

As for information, I'll start by informing you that Gitzo and Bogen are two divisions of the same company. On paper, Gitzo can be thought of as their premium/professional line.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Photography forums are beyond annoying when it comes to tripod and ballhead advice. Everyone is convinced that the setup they own is the best and they'll try to convince you they're right. There's a ton of conflicting advice so it can be difficult to make an informed decision.

As Billiam said, you have to decide on a few things before making your decision:
1) What's the longest lens you plan on using with the tripod?
2) Are you going to be hiking with the tripod, or are you more likely to drive to your destination?
3) Is an eye-level tripod important, or do you not mind bending over a little when shooting?
4) If you were to fly with your tripod, would you put it in your checked luggage, or would you bring it in your cary-on?
5) What's your total budget?

There are lots of models to choose from, so if you can answer those questions, we could point you in the right direction.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I can tell you right off the bat is go play with some Gitzo legs in person if you're considering one of their models. Some people can't stand their twist locks and other people (such as myself) don't mind them.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Photography Nerd

The new Gitzo G-Locks are especially nice.

I don't mind the twist locks on my Benro, but I think I'd still prefer a flip lock design if it were offered in tripods of this size. I've never really had a snagging issues with the flip locks on my Manfrotto, but I can see how it might be a problem for people who hike a lot.

It's just nice to know that a segment really is locked before you put any weight on the head. It's hard to tell from a visual check if you've locked all the twist grips, but it's a no-brainer with flip locks.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Registered

70-200 2.8 IS

2) Are you going to be hiking with the tripod, or are you more likely to drive to your destination?
Drive

3) Is an eye-level tripod important, or do you not mind bending over a little when shooting?
I would prefer eye-level, but if it is significantly more expensive, I could bend over. FYI, I'm 5'11

4) If you were to fly with your tripod, would you put it in your checked luggage, or would you bring it in your cary-on?
Checked

~$350
Old 02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by cl_jay
70-200 2.8 IS

Drive

I would prefer eye-level, but if it is significantly more expensive, I could bend over. FYI, I'm 5'11

Checked

~$350
So it sounds like weight and size would not be that big of an issue to you. I'd probably put the bulk of your money into a decent head, then get a sturdy set of aluminum legs.

Something like the Markins Q3 would be a good head for your needs: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php

I'd probably go with the Manfrotto 190XB legs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

That combo would put you in the $395 range. You could have a look at the used market if you wanted to get closer to your target price and keep the same quality of components.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

Thanks a lot Dan. The head you suggested looks to be ideal for me, and I will probably end up buying it. The legs though only seem to extend up to ~52". I know you chose those because of my price range, but now that I think about it I really would rather not bend over. So I guess I wait a little while longer and spring for some legs that extend more.

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by cl_jay
Thanks a lot Dan. The head you suggested looks to be ideal for me, and I will probably end up buying it. The legs though only seem to extend up to ~52". I know you chose those because of my price range, but now that I think about it I really would rather not bend over. So I guess I wait a little while longer and spring for some legs that extend more.

Thanks again.
The 190XB is 57" with the center column extended. The center column will reduce stability somewhat, so if that is an issue, you might want to find a taller tripod that will let you use shoot without the column. Otherwise, I think the 190XB should be a pretty good height for you.

Remember, although you're 71" tall, you don't need a tripod that goes to the top of your head, you just need the viewfinder to reach your eyes.

With shoes on, your eyes are probably 66-67" from the ground. Subtract 4" for the ballhead and 3" for the height of the camera to the viewfinder, and you're around 60" for an ideal tripod height.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The 190XB is 57" with the center column extended. The center column will reduce stability somewhat, so if that is an issue, you might want to find a taller tripod that will let you use shoot without the column. Otherwise, I think the 190XB should be a pretty good height for you.

Remember, although you're 71" tall, you don't need a tripod that goes to the top of your head, you just need the viewfinder to reach your eyes.

With shoes on, your eyes are probably 66-67" from the ground. Subtract 4" for the ballhead and 3" for the height of the camera to the viewfinder, and you're around 60" for an ideal tripod height.
I didn't remember about the height of the ballhead and camera.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Registered

How about this head compared to the Q3?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation