XLR8 Big Brake Kit Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
XLR8 Big Brake Kit Pictures

Anyone have pictures of this brake kit on their car? tried searching the forum but no dice.

This was the first upgrade I wanted to put on my car. But want them on the stock 09 TL SH AWD 18" rims.

Or anyone know of anyone else other then XLR8? I know there is Rotera but I don't feel like spending 5g's on a full kit...

Was actually interested to see if anyone got brembo brake calipers on their TL's?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
if you want real bbk's your going to atleast spend 4-5k.. that is a fact.. depending on what type of bbk you get, i know rotora does not fit stock wheels.

brembo has not come out for the 4g yet.

fyah has rotora's https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-295/big-brake-kit-4g-tl-837137/

stoptech came out with their like of bbk for the 4g

Last edited by potmilkz; 01-21-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
There's a number of these kits on the market. These are some images from the original test fitter in the old sales thread.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I have experience with Rotora and the Excelerate Stoptech kit on my 3G with many street miles and track days. If you're planning on buying the Rotora kit, don't, unless you want a BBK for the looks.

Rotora does not pay attention to brake bias. They pull off the shelf parts and make a bracket to fit different models. This was proved when my stopping distances increased over stock.

When I went with the Stoptechs I did something not many people do, I took the car out with one Stoptech and one Rotora brake on either side and shot temps. The Rotora transferred more heat into the caliper, much more heat which means hotter brake fluid. I should mention both of these were 13" kits. With the Stoptech kit fully installed, calipers ran near ambient during normal driving. Rotor temps were cooler as well. Rear rotor temps went up a little because bias was restored.

I have measured 60-0 stopping distances from stock, Rotora, and Stoptech. Tires determine stopping distances with the exception of brake bias. On the same tires and on the same stretch of road, Rotora increased stopping distances over stock and Stoptech slightly reduced stopping distances. Of course the bigger difference is fade resistance and the Stoptech kit with the supplied Stoptech street pads have at least the same fade resistance as the Rotoras with the super noisy H6 race pads.

I wouldn't get a BBK if you're looking for shorter one stop stopping distances but I definitely would not use a BBK that increased stopping distances over stock. Stoptech also uses a superior stiffer bridged caliper in addition to better heat dissipation and shorter stopping distances. Pads are a common item, there are many different manufacturers pads that will work with Stoptech vs practically none besides the 1 street pad and 2 racing pads for Rotora.

I know many like to show off their BBK but if you're like me and you like stealth, the Stoptech slotted rotors with black calipers on my black car blend really well behind my stock 17s. They look fairly large but not aftermarket. I'm sure the other color and rotor options can be used to make them stand out.

For what it's worth on warm Nitto NT05 tires with mild but well balanced suspension mods (a very small part of stopping distances) and a nice clean grippy section of road I had no issues getting 60-0mph stopping distances into the 98-99' range. After practicing pedal application and VSA on vs off I eventually got a best of 91' which is really amazing for a full weight TL and somewhere around 20' shorter than the Rotoras if I remember right. Also going against the Rotoras' stopping distances was the less than optimal ABS application, locking the fronts too much and them backing off too far. Best stopping distances with Rotoras was definitely before the ABS threshold.

As for Brembos, they make some amazing brakes and some very mediocre brakes. You're definitely paying extra for the name. It's almost as bad as Optima batteries. They were great 10 years ago. Now they're cheap junk worse than the average $70 battery yet Optima is a household name and people keep buying the junk. Brembos are far from junk but I would put the cheaper Stoptechs up against them without worry. I'll go so far as to say the caliper included in the Stoptech kit is better than what you would get from Brembos for the TL, definitely better than the Brembos optional on the 3G TL.

I apologize for the almost certain mistakes but there isn't enough time to go back over this junk from a phone.

Last edited by I hate cars; 01-23-2014 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
HeartTLs (01-28-2014), JasonK (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor

IHC, great info and feedback. Very helpful. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by Excelerate
IHC, great info and feedback. Very helpful. Thank you.
Hey Josh I'll probably be picking up the big brake kit at a later date. Had some things come up that needed to be taken care of before mods on the car.

I'll be ordering a bunch of stuff from you in the spring.

Will probably be making one big purchase

Big brake kit
New spark plugs
Tien SS coilover
J Pipe
and maybe exhaust tips

Will contact you at a later date

Thanks for the help as well IHC.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Is there anyway to also just cover up the stoptech on the calipers?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JasonK
Hey Josh I'll probably be picking up the big brake kit at a later date. Had some things come up that needed to be taken care of before mods on the car.

I'll be ordering a bunch of stuff from you in the spring.

Will probably be making one big purchase

Big brake kit
New spark plugs
Tien SS coilover
J Pipe
and maybe exhaust tips

Will contact you at a later date

Thanks for the help as well IHC.
Sounds good. Just let me know when you're ready. Thank you.

Originally Posted by JasonK
Is there anyway to also just cover up the stoptech on the calipers?
You could but it isn't something we can do from the factory.