Wheel Fitment - Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Fitment - Need Advise

I'm considering getting the Foose Speed Black wheels in 19x8.5, 5x120, 72.6 Bore, 42 Offset. I plan to use 255/40/19 tires. My intent is to have the wheels pushed out a little further to the corners, but definitely no sticking out or even flush with the fenders. I like the wider more aggresive stance but prefer the wheels to be tucked in to have a more OEM look. I think BMW does a great job with this on their cars / wheels.

I' looking for feedback / comments on whether I am on the right track with the wheel / tire specs. The offset is approx half inch further out than oem which seems minimal / reasonable. But will the added width from the 245 oem to 255 tire also push the overall wheel out? I don't think it should...currently with my 245 tires and 8 inch wheels the widest point is the rim, not the tires. When I use the calculator in rimsntires.com it says the change in tire size will add 5mm to the 13mm added for the change in offset and push out the wheels a total of 18mm. Is this correct? Any thought / suggestions?

Also, I've read some posts about problems with some wheels due to hubcentric issues etc. which honestly I am not an expert on. My understanding is some sort of hubcentric ring or adapter can be used for these wheels to fit in the 4g TL. I am not willing to sacrifice ride / alignment, balancing quality. What problems should I anticipate if any? If there's even a small chance of ride quality deterioration I'd rather stick to oem wheels. But so many of you buy aftermarket wheels and seem to make it work somehow.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I am going to tell you from experience if you want to get wheels and still want the smooth ride go to ronjonsportdesign.com ...the fitment is precise you won't need hubcentric rings...but if you decide to go with another company make sure you get the right hubcentric rings ..
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
255 tire with a +42 has a pretty decent chance of rubbing (especially if you lower the car).. on stock suspension, with only the driver or 1 passanger in the car you might be ok

i would go 245
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
255 tire with a +42 has a pretty decent chance of rubbing (especially if you lower the car).. on stock suspension, with only the driver or 1 passanger in the car you might be ok

i would go 245
Thanks...I may go with 245 tires to play it safe...I thought of 255s for two reasons...1. to limit the decrease in sidewall height for less firmness on the ride and 2. to widen the look.

I welcome any other thoughts / suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Racer

I have 245/35/20 Kumho Ecsta SPT on Boss 339 in 20x8.5 with an offset of 38 (not sure what the bore on those rims are) - my rim shop did use some plastic hub centric rings to fit the rim (as many places do).

My experience;
The insides of my rear tires started to wear out quicker and uneven, jagged if you run your hand over it ^^^^ (like that) and did some research and found out its called Cupping - so after a while I started getting a rumbling noise from the tires.

Now I have NO CLUE why this happened - everyone always says its alignment, so I had it checked out, and it was spot on, and I even had Acura quickly inspect the shocks/struts etc. (not sure how well they really checked) but the guy said they are fine.

I have no clue why this happened or how to even fix it - or if changing the tire brand will make a difference.

Thats just my 2 cents - ride wise, it was still pretty smooth ride before the tires got messed up in the rear.

I have ordered 2 General Exclaim UHP tires that I am going to try in the rear this summer - as I have had good experiences with those tires.

On a side note - my stock 17's don't and haven't given me this issue at all - so makes it even more wierd to figure out now.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
I have car ADD

9 out of 10 times, cupping is caused by cheap tires.

some times, its the suspension components... when just the rear tires cup, its usually an alignment issue. are your wheels staggered?

I bet its the tires..I've never had Kumhos, but i've heard terrible reviews on them... General Exclaims got some great reviews, especially for the price point.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the additional feedback...certainly makes me want to pause and think before going away from oem wheels. I understand RJ makes great fitting wheels...but I haven't found the wheel design that I would really like to have on this car i.e. 5 spoke black with machined face.

It would help to hear from others who have used wheels with hubcentric rings...to understand whether there is a high probability of ride quality deterioration when using them or, perhaps it's just a matter of getting good quality aftermarket wheels with good quality hubcentric rings.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Racer

@Blackura_NY - no I am not on any sort of staggered fitment, I am 245/35/20 on 20"x8.5 rims all around.

Like I noted, I had my alignment checked at a shop and it was perfect. I also think its tires, as I don't notice it happening on my stock 17's at all.

I just ordered 2 General Exclaim UHP for the rear - so im going to be running 2 Kumho in the front and 2 General in the back - would that be ok?

Also - if its suspension components, how do I get Acura to take a look thoroughly, what should I ask them to really look at? They probably only did a quick visual.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Racer

also - the shop that checked my alignment (it was on a new 3D laser alignment machine) said it could be my shocks since the cupping is kind of like bouncing along while driving, but how do I really get Acura to look at my shocks thoroughly - just say I notice alot of vibration/bounce when driving?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 PM
I have car ADD

^ i would throw on the stock 17s and have them look at it... tell them it doesnt feel right, and the rear is "bouncy"

if it feels bouncy, that could very well be the problem... but again, 9 out of 10 times, its poor/cheap tires....