Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire recommendations

Hello all,
I have a 2012 with stock 17 wheels, currently running stock Michelin Pilot HX 245 50 R17. They have been okay, but they are very low on tread. I’m looking for a replacement with very good tread life and good performance in wet and dry. Should I go with the same tire again? I wouldn’t mind spending a little less. I’m considering the Continental Extreme contact in same size. Seems to have good reviews. Are there any other tires I should consider in this class that you have had good experience with?

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
How cold does it get where you live? The Michelin Pilot 4s and the Continental Extreme Contact Summer should not be used in near freezing or below freezing temps otherwise the tread can crack! I'm in FL and love the extreme Contacts. Compared to the DW they are a little more direct and have a lot more dry grip, but the wet isn't as great as the DW. There were a few days this year where I couldn't drive the 4G TL since it had the extreme Contact summer's. DW's lasted me about 25-30K a set on the TL with rotations and the Extreme Contacts look like they'll surpass 30K easily.

3G TL and Accord have DWS 06 All season and they have been great. Not as grippy as the Extreme or DW in dry conditions which is to be understood, but they seem pretty close in the rain, just with "cushioned" steering input all the time unless the PSI is bumped up to around 35 Cold. Gotten 45K miles out of the DWS (Originals) and look to get close to 55 out of the current DWS06's. Pilot HX is pretty much the factory tire that's a grand touring tire. Any of the tires I named above will grip better than the HX in both wet and dry conditions, and the DWS will blow them away in snow.
The following users liked this post:
Dbuck (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=csmeance;16298167]How cold does it get where you live? The Michelin Pilot 4s and the Continental Extreme Contact Summer should not be used in near freezing or below freezing temps otherwise the tread can crack! I'm in FL and love the extreme Contacts. Compared to the DW they are a little more direct and have a lot more dry grip, but the wet isn't as great as the DW. There were a few days this year where I couldn't drive the 4G TL since it had the extreme Contact summer's. DW's lasted me about 25-30K a set on the TL with rotations and the Extreme Contacts look like they'll surpass 30K easily.

3G TL and Accord have DWS 06 All season and they have been great. Not as grippy as the Extreme or DW in dry conditions which is to be understood, but they seem pretty close in the rain, just with "cushioned" steering input all the time unless the PSI is bumped up to around 35 Cold. Gotten 45K miles out of the DWS (Originals) and look to get close to 55 out of the current DWS06's. Pilot HX is pretty much the factory tire that's a grand touring tire. Any of the tires I named above will grip better than the HX in both wet and dry conditions, and the DWS will blow them away in snow.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your opinions. I’m in Ohio and need them to be at least decent in the snow. It sounds like the DWS06 might be a good choice then? They seem to last a good time and I think the price point is a little less than the Michelin’s. What is the full name of that tire?

Thank you again!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
[QUOTE=Dbuck;16298841]
Originally Posted by csmeance
How cold does it get where you live? The Michelin Pilot 4s and the Continental Extreme Contact Summer should not be used in near freezing or below freezing temps otherwise the tread can crack! I'm in FL and love the extreme Contacts. Compared to the DW they are a little more direct and have a lot more dry grip, but the wet isn't as great as the DW. There were a few days this year where I couldn't drive the 4G TL since it had the extreme Contact summer's. DW's lasted me about 25-30K a set on the TL with rotations and the Extreme Contacts look like they'll surpass 30K easily.

3G TL and Accord have DWS 06 All season and they have been great. Not as grippy as the Extreme or DW in dry conditions which is to be understood, but they seem pretty close in the rain, just with "cushioned" steering input all the time unless the PSI is bumped up to around 35 Cold. Gotten 45K miles out of the DWS (Originals) and look to get close to 55 out of the current DWS06's. Pilot HX is pretty much the factory tire that's a grand touring tire. Any of the tires I named above will grip better than the HX in both wet and dry conditions, and the DWS will blow them away in snow.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your opinions. I’m in Ohio and need them to be at least decent in the snow. It sounds like the DWS06 might be a good choice then? They seem to last a good time and I think the price point is a little less than the Michelin’s. What is the full name of that tire?

Thank you again!
Its the Continental DWS06, here's tire rack results on the tire and it's competitors:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230