Are those stock Michelin HX MXM4 that terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Are those stock Michelin HX MXM4 that terrible?

Hello,
I have been reading a lot of bad things about those stock tires... It makes me thinking about getting rid of them but I only have 5000 miles on them. I just don't like to spend the money if I don't need to. What are your thoughts on those. Especially on wet and snow condition?? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
They are horrible...sell them to me.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
They get the job done, but don't do the TL justice. Better tires = better performance, however I don't plan to replace them until they wear out, I don't track the car.

I haven't had any issues in the wet, but once the temp drops below 30 degrees they aren't very good, but luckily the AWD makes up for them, in light snow they're fine
Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
If you only have 5k miles on them - run them til there bald and then decide. I don't mind them.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
They are horrible...sell them to me.
+1
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I knew I wanted to change my tires out, but I waited till I wore mine out. If I were you I would wait. Mine got to the point I could not take off without the tires chirping.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
The MXM4 is a Grand Touring A/S tire, and it does it's job very well, namely giving the car an average all-year-round traction, and a very quiet and very comfortable ride, PERIOD.

Just like all GT A/S tires, don't expect to squeeze any decent performance ability out of them, because the MXM4 will squeal like crazy if pushed.

For those looking for performance driving, the MXM4 is definitely not the right tire for them. It is best to buy some high performance tires instead.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had them on my last 2 TLs and they wear exceptionally well. They are a bit noisy on some surfaces and I always plan to get something different once they wear out. But that is usually near 100K km and by then I have traded. Mu 2012 has over 50K now and there is lots of tread remaining. So if you are looking for good wear then no problem with these Michelins.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I have approx 8K on mine, they have been rotated and they seem to be wearing fine. I haven't experienced any problems.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by james21_h
Hello,
I have been reading a lot of bad things about those stock tires... It makes me thinking about getting rid of them but I only have 5000 miles on them. I just don't like to spend the money if I don't need to. What are your thoughts on those. Especially on wet and snow condition?? Thanks in advance.
I have 60000mi on my 2010 TL with these tires. Rotated at every change, and they are starting to get noisy, even though they are not at the wear indicator yet. I'm planning to get Goodyear comfortread before winter so I have better traction. If you drive in winter weather, performance tires don't cut it. If you drive in rain and snow, keep your Michelins till about 60000 mi and swap them out for another high quality all weather tire. I have the Comfortread on three Acuras and I like how they perform. They are quieter than the Michelins and have similar handling.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like those... u can use it until it wears out
Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
It's a shame that Acura cheaped out on the tires. Typical car company, they saved $5 a tire.

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus are much better. Certainly no Super Sport, but great winter rain runners. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts
+1 on the Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
It's a shame that Acura cheaped out on the tires. Typical car company, they saved $5 a tire.

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus are much better. Certainly no Super Sport, but great winter rain runners. I highly recommend them.
Acura didn't cheap out, it's the buyers that cheap out. If you purchase the car with the HPT option, it comes with PS2 tires (or it did at one time). If they put these tires on all models, then the car would cost that much more and those looking for a 'better deal' wouldn't buy the car.

Also notice how many people run the tires to 60,000 miles? WTF is that all about. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Rock hard tires by 60K mi won't perform well in any condition except a burnout.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
they suck.... if you care about performance. if you just want to cruise around they are great.

tires are like most things in life, you can't have your cake and eat it too.... you get longer life out of harder compounds, but they don't grip as well....

going to a tire like a PS2 or PSS will grip like crazy, but wears out faster....

some of the ultra high performance all seasons, tend to have better grip than the lower performance all seasons, as they are somewhat softer....but they are not as soft as the full blown summer tires...so you get a little bit of both...

on my former RL I had the MXMs and when they wore out I put on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season +... they wore decent..and gripped a lot better than the MXMs... but they definitely wore FASTER.

my current TL has Falken PT722 high perf all seasons... they have a 400 treadwear rating... overall they seem to grip pretty well... although when these suckers wear out, I"m going full bore summer perforamnce tires like PSS or PS2......

if you want to grip like nuts, go with a sticky summer tire. if you want comfort and long tread - go with the MXM.

if you want a bit of both, go with the high perf all seasons.

good luck
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr Marco

On my 08 TL-S the MXM4's were junk. I replaced them with the PS A/S Plus'. They were great but somehow my car ate those A/S Plus' in 5 months. Costco and Michelin assured me it was probably a fluke. I got the A/S Plus' warrantied and now I'm rolling with Super Sport's.

The A/S Plus' are quiet and will get you good gas mileage. They are pretty grippy.

The Super Sports are champs. They handle everything in the summer. Horrid in the winter. You cannot use them as All-Seasons (it goes without saying but still). The downfall to them is that they are louder and get worse gas mileage than my Pilot Aplin PA3's (winter tires). But holy crap do they stick to the road and give you traction.

Don't bother with the PS2's. They are out of date now and the Super Sports are all around a superior tire.

My recommendation is replace them MXM4's with A/S Plus'.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

I too agree that the Pilot Super Sport (PSS) sticks like crazy glue in the summer.

The PSS is now selling at around the same price as the PS2. So I don't think anyone would buy the PS2 new, unless Michelin decides to heavily discount it.

I also had the Alpin PA3 snow tires on my now-sold 2G TL-S. It was the best handling high performance snow tires on dry roads.

Last week, I bought a set of Alpin PA4 snow tires to try out. It's suppose to be even better than the PA3 in all ways. I'll find out and report back later.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cabose369
On my 08 TL-S the MXM4's were junk. I replaced them with the PS A/S Plus'. They were great but somehow my car ate those A/S Plus' in 5 months. Costco and Michelin assured me it was probably a fluke. I got the A/S Plus' warrantied and now I'm rolling with Super Sport's.

The A/S Plus' are quiet and will get you good gas mileage. They are pretty grippy.

The Super Sports are champs. They handle everything in the summer. Horrid in the winter. You cannot use them as All-Seasons (it goes without saying but still). The downfall to them is that they are louder and get worse gas mileage than my Pilot Aplin PA3's (winter tires). But holy crap do they stick to the road and give you traction.

Don't bother with the PS2's. They are out of date now and the Super Sports are all around a superior tire.

My recommendation is replace them MXM4's with A/S Plus'.
Do the A/S Plus have as rigid a sidewall as the OEMs? I had an issue with a tire while traveling last week, and they couldn't repair it. Because I was at 65K on my OEMs, I replaced the tires, but absolutely hated doing so without doing research.

Long story short...I ended up with Yokohama YK580's and absolutely hate them. They ride fine and are quiet, but feel "squishy" in cornering and aggressive driving. The OEMs felt much better.

I can exchange the tires I have and need to do it tomorrow, so any help anyone can provide right away would be VERY helpful!

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogan9166
Do the A/S Plus have as rigid a sidewall as the OEMs? I had an issue with a tire while traveling last week, and they couldn't repair it. Because I was at 65K on my OEMs, I replaced the tires, but absolutely hated doing so without doing research.

Long story short...I ended up with Yokohama YK580's and absolutely hate them. They ride fine and are quiet, but feel "squishy" in cornering and aggressive driving. The OEMs felt much better.

I can exchange the tires I have and need to do it tomorrow, so any help anyone can provide right away would be VERY helpful!

Thanks.
Sorry...didn't get in before the editing window closed.

FYI...what can anyone tell me about the Conti DWS? Do they have a more rigid sidewall? I've seen some say they feel a bit "squishy", too.

I also cannot run summer tires and need All Season.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

What issue did you have with the OEM tire ?

If it is a bubbling issue, getting tires with stiffer sidewall will not help, since even high-performance tires will develop bubble(s) if road impacts are severe enough.