To sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sell or not to sell

Not sure where to post this so I'll start here..... I'm at a crossroads. Bought my absolutely gorgeous 2011 TL Tech w/HPT late last year. Since then my driving conditions have changed tremendously. I now live on 1-1/2 mile of dirt road. At first I thought it would work out and only drove under 20mph to and from but now the maintenance on the road is horrible with no chance of changing. I even called the county commissioner to ask for better road maintenance but did not have any luck. As a matter of fact the roads are worse...super wash boarding, they worse I've ever driven on. A small business has moved in and large truck deliveries are daily and just destroying the road. I hear talk of them re graveling (with large crush and run) and that just sends chills up my spine!! So, my question is, would you sell? How hard do you think it would be to sell? I absolutely love this car but it’s killing me to drive it on these roads.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
if you cant bare it, either move, or sell and get a truck.. or get another car..

its all up to you, but i suggest to just drive the TL the way it is..

honestly you wont messe anything up as long as your not in back of someone. your car might get dirty faster than normal but it comes with the territory. you wont get any rock chips if your just by yourself going on that road.

but a truck will be the easy route out of this.

did you suggest to petition this? have people around your neighborhood do something about it with the city. ive seen this done before so if you have enough people agreeing with you, the city will know your issue.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It would be hard for me to sell because of 1.5 miles of bad road. I'm sure you're loving the rest of the ride and drive once past that section though!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man...I've lived on and frequented many gravel roads in my past, and cringe at the idea of driving my TL on all of them. No matter how carefully/slow I drove, there was always some a-hole driving the opposite direction in their 20 year old POS at 60 mph, throwing up all kinds of havoc on unsuspecting pain jobs.

Ultimately, if I had a 2012 Ford Fiesta, I'd be pissed about driving it on a road like that, so my vote would go towards a swap (provided the financials of it don't put you over a barrel). That, or you could always move.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Vanswife
Not sure where to post this so I'll start here..... I'm at a crossroads. Bought my absolutely gorgeous 2011 TL Tech w/HPT late last year. Since then my driving conditions have changed tremendously. I now live on 1-1/2 mile of dirt road. At first I thought it would work out and only drove under 20mph to and from but now the maintenance on the road is horrible with no chance of changing. I even called the county commissioner to ask for better road maintenance but did not have any luck. As a matter of fact the roads are worse...super wash boarding, they worse I've ever driven on. A small business has moved in and large truck deliveries are daily and just destroying the road. I hear talk of them re graveling (with large crush and run) and that just sends chills up my spine!! So, my question is, would you sell? How hard do you think it would be to sell? I absolutely love this car but it’s killing me to drive it on these roads.

Any input would be appreciated.
If it was a small length I would say maintain it yourself, but at 1-1/2 miles that would cost you a fortune. You could just park at the end of the road get a dirt bike for the gravel section (weather conditions permitting).