Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Noise

I have been experiencing a tremendous amount of road noise in my new TL, especially when driving on concrete roads. Is this just a figment of my imagination or is there a reason for this? Would anyone know of tires to buy to reduce this noise?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What rims size and tires do you have?

The new TL is very well insulated but the Michelin tires they put as OEM with the 18'' rims are noisy as hell. Next year, I move to 19'' with much better tires in part for that reason.

It's not the TL fault really.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:09 PM
10th Gear

not as insulated as the lexus, but very well done none the less, would be interested to know which tires would further decrease road noise!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Instructor

4G is better but road noise isolation is still weakest link and probably average for the segment. The OE Michelin 17" is somewhat noisy over imperfect roads only at high speeds but not bad. Tires may contribute but I doubt it's the only problem, we'll have to wait until somebody replaces them with something better. The selection are limited from what I've seen on Tirerack so far....
Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@mames1313 What did you drive before the 4G?

Its not a figment of your imagination, occasionally objectionable road noise a Honda/Acura trait. Were this my first Honda/Acura I would've done more than cranked the stereo up when I was on an old Cali highway over the weekend. However, a concrete road would be especially noisy in any vehicle. Compared to my past Honda/Acura vehicles, the efforts to improve cabin isolation are apparent but still need some work.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Road noise has been my number one complaint since the car was new. The car is ultra sensitive to tire noise. I would go on tirerack and look at the reviews, the ones that have more than 5,000 miles on them and look at how they rate noise. I've had some that were so bad it was hard to carry on a conversation yet the exact same tire in nearly the same size on my GN was silent. It's just an unfortunate trait of the TL.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Racer

I just get some dynamat and open up the wheel wells and stuff it in there. I also use a can of dynamat to spray the nooks and crannies of the underside and it has worked in every car I have owned and also is working in my TL and my new 20 inch Work wheels.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
I just get some dynamat and open up the wheel wells and stuff it in there. I also use a can of dynamat to spray the nooks and crannies of the underside and it has worked in every car I have owned and also is working in my TL and my new 20 inch Work wheels.

Where exactly did you put it? I pulled the rear seat and put it over the wheel wells where it already had some insulation. Did you pull the outside insulation and put it under there?

The reason I ask is that dynamatting the inside of the car did nothing for road noise but I'm very interested in lowering it still. I had thought about ordering another set of the factory insulation that's on the outside of the rear wheel wells and doubling it up.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Where exactly did you put it? I pulled the rear seat and put it over the wheel wells where it already had some insulation. Did you pull the outside insulation and put it under there?

The reason I ask is that dynamatting the inside of the car did nothing for road noise but I'm very interested in lowering it still. I had thought about ordering another set of the factory insulation that's on the outside of the rear wheel wells and doubling it up.
I took all 4 tires off, pulled off the wheel wells off on top of the tires and sprayed the inside the wells and then used approximately 2 boxes of extreme dynamat all together and stuffed it up the wheel wells then clipped it back together. Then I removed all the seats and dynamat the floor of the car, then I removed the headliner and dyamat the ceiling and sprayed with the sticky tar and put the head liner back. I also dynamat the engine hood liner and the fire wall and then I dynamat the whole trunk. The car is a bit heavier but quieter than a Lexus ES350. All in all it took 5 boxes of bulk dynamat worth about $400. Well worth the cost. I own a garage so it made things a lot easier. Tomorrow I get to change the oil at 1200 miles and I'll be sending in a sample to get it analyzed just to see what goodies are in this factory filled oil.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice a lot of road noise when I'm on concrete roads. When i'm on asphalt roads, the road noise goes down by a couple of orders of magnitude so I feel that road material is a major contributor. However, I feel the insulation is still slightly better than a G37 and a 335ix, and definitely better than the 08 ES350. I was rather disappointed in my day-long test drive of an 08 ES350. The wind noise is pretty subdued and I also believe its better insulated than the MDX. For true quietness, the LS is probably the car to beat but I believe most ppl aren't expecting that level of insulation at this price range so I feel for the price, the TL delivers against its class and still better insulated than my roommate's 06 TL, IMO.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by omnimax
I notice a lot of road noise when I'm on concrete roads. When i'm on asphalt roads, the road noise goes down by a couple of orders of magnitude so I feel that road material is a major contributor. However, I feel the insulation is still slightly better than a G37 and a 335ix, and definitely better than the 08 ES350. I was rather disappointed in my day-long test drive of an 08 ES350. The wind noise is pretty subdued and I also believe its better insulated than the MDX. For true quietness, the LS is probably the car to beat but I believe most ppl aren't expecting that level of insulation at this price range so I feel for the price, the TL delivers against its class and still better insulated than my roommate's 06 TL, IMO.

The Lexus LS just floats lol no road noise at all!! The ultimate VIP cruiser