Odyssey 17" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Odyssey 17" wheels?

Would the 17x7 wheels from an older Honda Odyssey (same bolt pattern and inner ring diameter, same offset as near as I can tell) fit my 4G TL? I'm looking for something to put snow tires on, so narrower is actually better.

There's a scrapyard near me where I can get all four of the ten-spoke alloys off an '05 minivan for like $250. Since I'm looking to save like $400 on narrower snow tires (vs. the 245s) I'm hoping somebody can confirm they'd work. The specs look right, but... yaknow.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Well, if the offset is the same, I don't see why not. Why not take the car down to the scrap yard, jack it up, and see if one of them fits? I'm sure the scrap yard would be ok with that if you tell them you'll buy them if they fit
Old 09-05-2018, 02:26 PM
dv-
Instructor

Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, if the offset is the same, I don't see why not. Why not take the car down to the scrap yard, jack it up, and see if one of them fits? I'm sure the scrap yard would be ok with that if you tell them you'll buy them if they fit
That's basically what I did, although the 10-spoke wheels I mentioned in OP are specifically for those weird run-flats that are terrible and expensive, so don't buy those. (Which is too bad, because they looked nicer.)

I've got the plain-jane-looking 5-spoke rims sitting in my trunk for now. Leaning towards Blizzaks, will get them put on later in October or maybe early November.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
When it comes to wheel clearance, offset is only one measurement. Are the front brake calipers similar/identical to the ones on the Odyssey, or are they more like the 4-pot calipers on the RL and the Brembos on some of the 3G TLs? If they are different, there could be caliper clearance issues even if the offset is correct.
The following users liked this post:
dv- (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM
dv-
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
When it comes to wheel clearance, offset is only one measurement. Are the front brake calipers similar/identical to the ones on the Odyssey, or are they more like the 4-pot calipers on the RL and the Brembos on some of the 3G TLs? If they are different, there could be caliper clearance issues even if the offset is correct.
Offset and wheel diameter both match.

As it happens - and I want to be absolutely explicit for the sake of anybody who stumbles into this thread a few years down the line - a set of 17x7 5-spoke alloy wheels from a 2009 Honda Oddysey fit perfectly fine on a 2012 Acura TL. They just look kinda boring.

I will be getting my skinny, knobby tires in a month or two. (Not in a hurry, but don't want to wait too long, because there's always a rush. Like trying to buy a snow blower in January. No way, all sold out.)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by dv-
Offset and wheel diameter both match.
You missed my point; those two metrics are not the only measurements which matter. Case in point there are LOTS of wheels with the exact same diameter and offset which will fit a base 3G TL but at the same time will NOT fit a 3G TL with the Brembo front brakes.
dv- (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM
dv-
Instructor

You missed my point; those two metrics are not the only measurements which matter. Case in point there are LOTS of wheels with the exact same diameter and offset which will fit a base 3G TL but at the same time will NOT fit a 3G TL with the Brembo front brakes.
Right, but wouldn't the cars equipped with beefier brake kits have shipped with larger wheels in the first place? Or did they have some weird wheel that had the same diameter, but had some kind of modification to fit over the larger caliper?

I'm not fixin' to put 17" wheels on a car that shipped with 19"s - I'm not quite that dumb. Anymore. (Thanks in large part to this forum, actually.)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by dv-
Right, but wouldn't the cars equipped with beefier brake kits have shipped with larger wheels in the first place? Or did they have some weird wheel that had the same diameter, but had some kind of modification to fit over the larger caliper?

I'm not fixin' to put 17" wheels on a car that shipped with 19"s - I'm not quite that dumb. Anymore. (Thanks in large part to this forum, actually.)
No, diameter of the wheel has nothing to do with it. Using the 3G TL as an example once again, cars with Brembo brakes came with the exact same 17" wheels as the base model TLs; in this case, the wheels are interchangeable. The point I was trying to make is the majority of 17" wheels with the correct offset and bolt spacing to fit the base 3G TL will not clear the brakes on the Brembo equipped cars; it isn't the rim which makes contact, it is the "spoke" section of the wheel. Said another way, there are other measurements beyond diameter and offset (and bolt pattern) which will determine if a wheel will fit or not. In the case of the example above, a measurement which, if I recall correctly, is called "Back Spacing" comes into play, some will have enough clearance, most will not.
dv- (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:34 PM
dv-
Instructor

No, diameter of the wheel has nothing to do with it. Using the 3G TL as an example once again, cars with Brembo brakes came with the exact same 17" wheels as the base model TLs; in this case, the wheels are interchangeable. The point I was trying to make is the majority of 17" wheels with the correct offset and bolt spacing to fit the base 3G TL will not clear the brakes on the Brembo equipped cars; it isn't the rim which makes contact, it is the "spoke" section of the wheel. Said another way, there are other measurements beyond diameter and offset (and bolt pattern) which will determine if a wheel will fit or not. In the case of the example above, a measurement which, if I recall correctly, is called "Back Spacing" comes into play, some will have enough clearance, most will not.
Jeez Louise. That doesn't even appear on most of the wheel specs I can find. :-\

Are they trying to make this difficult or what?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by dv-
Jeez Louise. That doesn't even appear on most of the wheel specs I can find. :-\

Are they trying to make this difficult or what?
Agreed. TireRack used to publish back spacing as a metric for all of wheels they sell, now, not so much. Speaking of Tirerack, I just checked; they are showing 132 17" wheels which will fit the 2004-2008 base TL with an automatic transmission (i.e. non-Brembo equipped), and only 12 wheels which will fit the Brembo equipped 2004-2006 6MT models and 2007-2008 Type-S models; that is fewer than one in ten wheels with the proper back spacing. Granted this is an extreme example, but it does illustrate the point quite nicely.
dv- (09-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:59 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
You are correct that it is the "spoke" section that also matters.

So, provided with the same diameter, it is the type of wheels with curved spokes (spokes curving inwards) that may pose clearance issue.

However, if the spokes are straight (not curving inwards), then there won't be clearance issue, even for big brake such as Brembo.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:03 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
An example of a "inward curving"-spoke wheel.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
You are correct that it is the "spoke" section that also matters.

So, provided with the same diameter, it is the type of wheels with curved spokes (spokes curving inwards) that may pose clearance issue.

However, if the spokes are straight (not curving inwards), then there won't be clearance issue, even for big brake such as Brembo.
Well, sort of. There are aftermarket replica wheels which look exactly like the straight spoke 2004-2006 OEM TL wheels, however, the aftermarket wheels will not clear the Brembos.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by dv-
That's basically what I did, although the 10-spoke wheels I mentioned in OP are specifically for those weird run-flats that are terrible and expensive, so don't buy those. (Which is too bad, because they looked nicer.)

I've got the plain-jane-looking 5-spoke rims sitting in my trunk for now. Leaning towards Blizzaks, will get them put on later in October or maybe early November.
I've used the Blizzak WS80, Michelin Xice xi3 and the previous generation Continental Wintercontact. They're all pretty good but the Blizzaks are easily the winner. They defy all my understanding of physics and chemistry when it comes to snow and ice traction. I've plowed through 18 inches of unpacked snow and gone up 30% grades of hard packed snow/ice mixes with those things. I only have the FWD 4G TL but have absolute confidence in any winter weather condition. The only variables now are other drivers on the road and white out conditions through the canyon.......
Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by dv-
Would the 17x7 wheels from an older Honda Odyssey (same bolt pattern and inner ring diameter, same offset as near as I can tell) fit my 4G TL? I'm looking for something to put snow tires on, so narrower is actually better.

There's a scrapyard near me where I can get all four of the ten-spoke alloys off an '05 minivan for like $250. Since I'm looking to save like $400 on narrower snow tires (vs. the 245s) I'm hoping somebody can confirm they'd work. The specs look right, but... yaknow.
I think if you are looking around (e.g. craigslist), you'll be able to find stock TL 17" wheels for about the same. The 17" are pretty much given away anyway.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM
dv-
Instructor

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I think if you are looking around (e.g. craigslist), you'll be able to find stock TL 17" wheels for about the same. The 17" are pretty much given away anyway.
I did look around quite a while and didn't find anything for under $125/wheel.

Also, I wanted narrower rims for snow tires, so this is actually a win/win.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:34 PM
dv-
Instructor

It's a funny angle (I'm no photographer) but the wheels work fine and look alright, I guess. Winter tires are a bit noisy.

But since my car now self-identifies as a Honda, what are those hubcap things called and can I get some with skulls on them? :-D

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I used a steel Odyssey wheel to make a full size spare for my car. It fit and drove fine.
04SSMnMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Reorge
I used a steel Odyssey wheel to make a full size spare for my car. It fit and drove fine.
Hey Reorge does the spare tire kit fit flush with the Odyssey steel in your trunk, or did it lift up a bit inside the trunk?
And what year Odyssey steel did you use?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by 04SSMnMD
Hey Reorge does the spare tire kit fit flush with the Odyssey steel in your trunk, or did it lift up a bit inside the trunk?
And what year Odyssey steel did you use?
The spare tire I made DOESN'T fit in the trunk wheel well.
I keep it in the garage for every-day driving and put it in the trunk upper section for long trips.

Also, the local tire dealer doesn't stock my size tire 245/45-R18.
If I have to replace a tire because of damage (etc), I have the full size spare ready to put on the car for normal driving until the new tire is ordered and arrives (up to 3 days).
The donut gets me home but I don't want to drive on it for 3 days.

The wheel is from a 2011-2017 Odyssey LX, 17x7 (42700-TK8-A01).
The tire I put on is a 205/55R17 to create a diameter close to stock wheel/tire.
04SSMnMD (02-28-2019)