H&R Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
H&R Noise

I have a shop installed the H&R on my car today and right away the mechanic noticed a solid clunking noise during test drive from the front passenger side.

The noise will only happen when go over uneven surface(braking, accelerating and turing will not make noise for sure) and it sounds like a lighter clunking noise of a tire roll over uneven surface. The noise is pretty busy sometimes (local road around the area is not bad but not new)

I compare the quality of the installation from the driver side and passenger side do throw out more noise in both the shop guy and my opinion. He has reinstall the whole set from zero and the noise seems to stay the same.

Any thoughts or have anyone experience this issue? I told my guys I will drive for few days and let them re-exam the issue when I do alignment after the springs are settle. I have done some research and seems like there are people who drive other vehicle receive the same problem at their passenger front suspension as well. Some were saying that is caused by the endlink or swap bar bushing due to excessive load after lowering.

Thanks you for your input!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
probably missed something or installation of the top casters are bad.

have them take it apart and check it again.

this is why i went with full coils.. no headache.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
IIRC, the rear springs are 'upside down' meaning the brand is upside down. This is the only thing that I can think of. Other than that, it's a simple Remove and Replace job.

My mechanic friend installed it for me, and no clunks here.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just put mine on tonight. The rears do have the brand name upside down. The part with more coils is supposed to be on the bottom. Mine don't make any noise at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by i64X
Just put mine on tonight. The rears do have the brand name upside down. The part with more coils is supposed to be on the bottom. Mine don't make any noise at all.
I have spoke to few different folks who install suspension themselves and they told me I am over sensitive. They said the noise may be the improper tire pressure and results in a higher tone of echo from the tire.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by Laws
I have spoke to few different folks who install suspension themselves and they told me I am over sensitive. They said the noise may be the improper tire pressure and results in a higher tone of echo from the tire.
There is just no way that improper tire pressure (too low ? too high ?) can cause the solid clunking noise that you described.

If true, then put in the proper tire pressure and your noise should go away. Does it not ?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
There is just no way that improper tire pressure (too low ? too high ?) can cause the solid clunking noise that you described.

If true, then put in the proper tire pressure and your noise should go away. Does it not ?
Yeah I don't think I buy that either.

The only way I could see that these springs would possibly make noise is because the front springs don't make contact with both the shock perch and the tophat when the strut shaft is at full extension. When you jack the car up for example, there is some play.

If you went over an uneven surface, for example, enough so to cause the car to almost 3-wheel or some other instance where the strut was allowed to be fully extended. If the spring were to come slightly out of the correct position on top (for example, the lip of the tophat, which the spring is supposed to sit IN, ended up on TOP of the spring coil on one side) and then weight was placed back on that corner and the top hat slid off of the spring and popped it back in to correct position, I could see where that could create a popping noise.

That's a pretty specific circumstance, and last night coming home and driving around the office park where we lowered my car (lots of uneven surfaces), I didn't experience this.

The rears make full contact with the top and the bottom even at full extension, so if the rears are making noise, it's probably something screwy with the install.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Are the sway bar end links loose?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Are the sway bar end links loose?
That's the only other thing I could think of too. I lowered my Mazda 3 on Tein S-techs and didn't touch the bottom swaybar endlink nuts, but for some reason one must have come loose during the install (I did remove the endlinks from the mounts on the TOP end, but didn't touch the bottom/bar end). It drove me nuts for weeks trying to figure out what it was before I found the loose nut. Tightened it up and everything was fine after that.