Diagnosing Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:31 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosing Suspension Issue

Hi AZine,

I am trying to narrow down what may be causing this issue. My AWD TL had coils and wheels installed with rear SPC camber arms. I recently went back to stock wheels and struts but left the rear adjustment arms installed. Something doesn't feel right with the suspension, especially under heavy braking. The problem started when the coils and camber adjustment and wheels were installed, and reverting back to stock suspension did not fix the issue. While heavy braking the car wants to sort of shimmy side to side when the attitude of the car changes and weight is transferred to the front. This sometimes happens under very heavy cornering as well and is a very uneasy feeling. Everything appears installed correctly and is tight and the issue has to be with the suspension as the brakes feel fine. Has anyone with rear camber adjustment experienced any similar issues or heard of this? I know the install includes measuring a distance of one of the arms, I had a shop handle the install and can't say how they did this. If anyone has any experience, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ILX24
Hi AZine,

I am trying to narrow down what may be causing this issue. My AWD TL had coils and wheels installed with rear SPC camber arms. I recently went back to stock wheels and struts but left the rear adjustment arms installed. Something doesn't feel right with the suspension, especially under heavy braking. The problem started when the coils and camber adjustment and wheels were installed, and reverting back to stock suspension did not fix the issue. While heavy braking the car wants to sort of shimmy side to side when the attitude of the car changes and weight is transferred to the front. This sometimes happens under very heavy cornering as well and is a very uneasy feeling. Everything appears installed correctly and is tight and the issue has to be with the suspension as the brakes feel fine. Has anyone with rear camber adjustment experienced any similar issues or heard of this? I know the install includes measuring a distance of one of the arms, I had a shop handle the install and can't say how they did this. If anyone has any experience, your input would be greatly appreciated.
First thing that comes to mind are ball joints or control arm bushings. Do some research on those and see if that falls in line with what you have going on.

If I remember correctly, worn ball joints will produce a wandering feeling. There is also a TSB for the 4G that addresses poor lubrication on front ball joints in hot climates.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
did the car feel skittish under heavy braking and corners? Did you get an alignment after you installed the coilover and then again after you reverted back to stock?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:22 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
did the car feel skittish under heavy braking and corners? Did you get an alignment after you installed the coilover and then again after you reverted back to stock?
That's exactly how it feels. It feels uneasy in a few situations but primarily when first initiating really heavy braking at high speed, or when taking a bump in a hard high speed turn. It was aligned multiple times with the coilovers and aligned again when I returned to stock, both readouts looked good. I'm going to raise it up and inspect everything tomorrow, as well as remove the rear camber kit (3 arms each side) with the stock arms and align again. Will see if that fixes the issue or if I notice anything funny. At this point I don't trust the car anywhere but an Acura dealer or my own wrench.

You pinpointed the symptoms, have you experienced something similar? Any knowledge appreciated guys.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by ILX24
That's exactly how it feels. It feels uneasy in a few situations but primarily when first initiating really heavy braking at high speed, or when taking a bump in a hard high speed turn. It was aligned multiple times with the coilovers and aligned again when I returned to stock, both readouts looked good. I'm going to raise it up and inspect everything tomorrow, as well as remove the rear camber kit (3 arms each side) with the stock arms and align again. Will see if that fixes the issue or if I notice anything funny. At this point I don't trust the car anywhere but an Acura dealer or my own wrench.

You pinpointed the symptoms, have you experienced something similar? Any knowledge appreciated guys.
sounds like you are too low for your spring setup and are hitting the bumpstops under heavy braking.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:55 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
sounds like you are too low for your spring setup and are hitting the bumpstops under heavy braking.
it was simple really. The ignorant shop that installed the camber kit initially didn't tighten the nut on the toe adjustment snug enough and likely while the car was in the air. My toe was moving all over on the passenger rear while hitting a bump in a turn or braking. Not a good feeling. Be careful who you trust touching your TL.