Weird Throttle Blip in 4th, 5th and 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Weird Throttle Blip in 4th, 5th and 6th gear

I don't know if this is actually a problem or not, but I noticed a couple days ago that when I'm cruising in 4th, 5th or 6th gear in the 2-3k rpm range if I step on the gas the tachometer jumps up around 500-800rpm and then immediately go back down to where it started and then start slowly climbing up again. It doesn't make any weird noises and there's not lurching or surging in acceleration. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just noticed the same problem on mine gradually worsening over the last couple of weeks. Arggghhh. Like seeing a big ol' zit on your new girlfriend. Taking to dealer tomorrow. Will let you know what they find.

I have noticed the following associated with this problem: on the SH-AWD monitor in the gauge cluster, when I initially hit the gas, one box lights up on each wheel, then it immediately goes blank and then I get 3 up front and 1 in back (which is what I have come to expect as "normal" in dry conditions when accelerating in high gear). I wonder if there is some issue with either the SH-AWD controller or one of the differentials. Hopefully not the latter. I guess the other possibility is clutch slippage, but that would seem absurd at 10000 miles, and I would expect high gear to be the last place to see that.

Who knows? Price you pay for the fancy technology. I am sure they will get it worked out. Oh well, at least I can get my first scratch buffed out while I am in there.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
back in the day i would say your clutch is starting to slip, but with all the computer controlled stuff, i would be willing to guess its designed to do that...for whatever reason...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
So I took the car in shortly after my initial post since no one answered me on here. they pulled the clutch out and found that the clutch plate had worn down to nothing which is why it was slipping, I was lucky in the fact that the dealer was able to cover a clutch replacement under warranty or I would have had to pay over 3k to replace the clutch!

I think that there was something wrong from when I bought the car since I only had 19k on my car when the problem started. The clutch engagement from when I bought the car was at the very top of releasing the clutch so I think something was wrong from the factory, perhaps the clutch was never fully engaging so it was grinding down for 19k miles. That's the only thing I can think of.

Just FYI, this is my third manual trans. car, I never had any issues with a clutch wearing out and I drove both previous manual trans. cars to over 40k miles. I push the clutch all the way to the floor on every gear change, I don't skip gears and I don't rest my foot on the clutch when I'm driving down the road.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I burned up a clutch in 25k, but I drive like an Italian. Sounds like your driving is not the issue.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by maddogtheta
So I took the car in shortly after my initial post since no one answered me on here. they pulled the clutch out and found that the clutch plate had worn down to nothing which is why it was slipping, I was lucky in the fact that the dealer was able to cover a clutch replacement under warranty or I would have had to pay over 3k to replace the clutch!

I think that there was something wrong from when I bought the car since I only had 19k on my car when the problem started. The clutch engagement from when I bought the car was at the very top of releasing the clutch so I think something was wrong from the factory, perhaps the clutch was never fully engaging so it was grinding down for 19k miles. That's the only thing I can think of.

Just FYI, this is my third manual trans. car, I never had any issues with a clutch wearing out and I drove both previous manual trans. cars to over 40k miles. I push the clutch all the way to the floor on every gear change, I don't skip gears and I don't rest my foot on the clutch when I'm driving down the road.
Good to hear.

If you don't mind me asking, which dealership did you go to? Your dealership seem proactive; I've been having an inconsistent 3rd and Reverse gear popping out my dealership can't seem to replicate, hence they won't fix the issue (I've taken my TL to AoS and AoB).

Feel free to PM me. Thanks.