Vibrations over 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Vibrations over 60mph

Has anyone ever replaced their intermediate shaft bearing or half shaft? Getting horrible vibrations over 60mph and under acceleration. Replaced both axles and still vibrating, put on different set of wheels and still vibrating. You feel the vibration in car, floor board, steering wheel, etc. I looked in acurazine and people have mentioned it for the 3rd gen but haven't seen any for the 4th gen. Also how much do they usually go for also? Some have posted $200 for the 3rd gen. I've even looked in RockAuto and I haven't been able to find a half shaft or intermediate shaft in their parts list.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Instructor

I guess no one has experienced this problem but me.....
Old 06-17-2018, 12:11 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
I would use the advanced search and see if you can track down anything, there were a few people who posted videos. Sometimes you have to just wait for the certain few that have dealt with your issue.
I am taking it that your cars us no longer under any drive-train warranty from the factory
Also look at the Acura TL repair manual
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...manual-956811/
Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a vibration that starts over 70mph. I'm not sure if it's the same as what you're getting, but I can feel it everywhere but the steering wheel, which led me to think it's something in the drive train. I then found out that I have blown struts, bad front wheel bearings, and bad drive axles (clunk when coast to accelerate). I plan on replacing all of the above, so I'll let you know if I still get the vibrating (Lord I hope not, I'm up to $2500 in parts).

I also had bought new tires recently, and the vibration was still there. I don't know if they were traditionally balanced or road force balanced, so I'm not sure if there are any bent wheels.

Edit: For a 2012 FWD 6AT, the half shaft part number is 44500-STX-A10, and is $363.53. I really hope that's not something that needs to be replaced, as I'll have to tear everything apart for a second time.

Last edited by jefflikesbagels; 06-17-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
I have a vibration that starts over 70mph. I'm not sure if it's the same as what you're getting, but I can feel it everywhere but the steering wheel, which led me to think it's something in the drive train. I then found out that I have blown struts, bad front wheel bearings, and bad drive axles (clunk when coast to accelerate). I plan on replacing all of the above, so I'll let you know if I still get the vibrating (Lord I hope not, I'm up to $2500 in parts).

I also had bought new tires recently, and the vibration was still there. I don't know if they were traditionally balanced or road force balanced, so I'm not sure if there are any bent wheels.

Edit: For a 2012 FWD 6AT, the half shaft part number is 44500-STX-A10, and is $363.53. I really hope that's not something that needs to be replaced, as I'll have to tear everything apart for a second time.
Yeah replacing that half shaft might be my only option right now because both axles have been replaced and still vibrating but your right you don't feel it in the steering wheel and its only under hard acceleration and anything about 60mph but then above 90mph it calms down a little
Old 12-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the same problem on my 2013 AWD Advance with 160K KMS (100k Miles), mine starts coming in lightly around 100-105 KPH (60mph) and gets noticeably worse at around 115-120 KPH (70-75 MPH). Stays consistently bad from 120-140KPH (75-85mph). Does sort of start to smooth out a bit but not go away at over 150 KPH (90-100 MPH) but that isn't really relevant as I don't usually go those speeds for long was just to test. Unfortunately though I do a lot of highway driving where the speed limit is 110-120KPH which is exactly where it is the worst. A few months ago I got new tires (different brand and type from previous tire), balance, rotation and an alignment. This sadly made no difference the issue persisted the same as before the new tires. I do feel it in my steering wheel as wheel as the floor and the pedals and even see the rearview mirror vibrating so it appears to be taking place in quite a few spots. Im wondering if it wheel bearings or perhaps warped rotors? Could bad tie rod ends be a cause? At this mileage it could maybe also be the struts/suspension I was also just reading an article further up someone posted about sticking rotors. Apparently the brake caliper pins can get clogged up leading to a sticking rotor which can cause vibrations. I'm not mechanically inclined at all (also have no tools or a work space) so unfortunately buying and installing parts by myself to troubleshoot has not been an option. Will be keeping an eye on Jeffs update to see what the new struts and bearings do (I don't suspect my axles are bad).
Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,712 Likes on 6,719 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanF
I have the same problem on my 2013 AWD Advance with 160K KMS (100k Miles), mine starts coming in lightly around 100-105 KPH (60mph) and gets noticeably worse at around 115-120 KPH (70-75 MPH). Stays consistently bad from 120-140KPH (75-85mph). Does sort of start to smooth out a bit but not go away at over 150 KPH (90-100 MPH) but that isn't really relevant as I don't usually go those speeds for long was just to test. Unfortunately though I do a lot of highway driving where the speed limit is 110-120KPH which is exactly where it is the worst. A few months ago I got new tires (different brand and type from previous tire), balance, rotation and an alignment. This sadly made no difference the issue persisted the same as before the new tires. I do feel it in my steering wheel as wheel as the floor and the pedals and even see the rearview mirror vibrating so it appears to be taking place in quite a few spots. Im wondering if it wheel bearings or perhaps warped rotors? Could bad tie rod ends be a cause? At this mileage it could maybe also be the struts/suspension I was also just reading an article further up someone posted about sticking rotors. Apparently the brake caliper pins can get clogged up leading to a sticking rotor which can cause vibrations. I'm not mechanically inclined at all (also have no tools or a work space) so unfortunately buying and installing parts by myself to troubleshoot has not been an option. Will be keeping an eye on Jeffs update to see what the new struts and bearings do (I don't suspect my axles are bad).
Why would you rule out your axles?