Vibration around 60/70mph....Axles maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015 | 01:11 PM
Instructor

Vibration around 60/70mph....Axles maybe?

As the topic says....could it be my axles? Under acceleration I get vibration especially around 60mph. If i get to 80mph on the highway then you don't feel it as much....if I let off the gas and coast you don't feel it at all. Rims and tires have been balanced...both stock and aftermarket rims so I know it's not that and I have new tires on both. So far from googling, it's possibly the axles....i was told there was 3 axles...one on each end and then a intermediate one...where is there an intermediate? And how can you determine if it is even the axles because I had one shop look and from just driving it and visually looking they can't see if it is the axles 100% but they think it is. Is there a sure fire way to know exactly if it's axles. By the way there is no clicking when turning and the transmission shifts fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2015 | 11:09 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Could be engine mounts too. Front, side, rear... have a dealership check them for cracks etc. The front mount is an active one. Look for any vacuum leaks from the tube that goes from the mount to the manifold.
Old 10-01-2015 | 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Could be engine mounts too. Front, side, rear... have a dealership check them for cracks etc. The front mount is an active one. Look for any vacuum leaks from the tube that goes from the mount to the manifold.
Would engine mounts really cause that vibration? it feels as if the wheel might come off under acceleration but fine when its coasting.
Ive had all wheels rebalanced and mounted...the stocks and my 20in and both sets have new tires so I know its not the rims or tires. Plus I have a daily so I dont even drive it except on the weekends.
Old 10-01-2015 | 03:16 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like you have a bad universal joint in your longitudinal drive shaft. Especially since you mentioned the vibration is present under acceleration.
Old 10-02-2015 | 04:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blipper
Sounds like you have a bad universal joint in your longitudinal drive shaft. Especially since you mentioned the vibration is present under acceleration.
Ok, so where is that located? Never heard if that part...is like a motor mount or something?
Old 10-02-2015 | 04:15 AM
Instructor

Fyi my car is Fwd also. The vibration is felt after 45mph under acceleration, then sort of stop above 80mph. But then it will start vibrations again a little but after. But it's definitely felt at cruising around 60/70.
Old 10-02-2015 | 12:30 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by DrewQ35
Would engine mounts really cause that vibration? it feels as if the wheel might come off under acceleration but fine when its coasting.
Ive had all wheels rebalanced and mounted...the stocks and my 20in and both sets have new tires so I know its not the rims or tires. Plus I have a daily so I dont even drive it except on the weekends.
I don't know, I am just guessing based on what I read. If the car was in front of me right now I would be able to tell you for sure. Engine mounts is a scenario to look at. Yes, the car vibrates when they go bad, especially the front one! You know, when the frequency of the vibrator matches the frequency of the material... etc etc.

Take it to a dealer for a proper diagnosis by the book.
Old 10-06-2015 | 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

could be axles, wheel bearings, wheel balancing, you could have hit a pothole and slightly deformed the wheel as well as all the other suggestions... Bring it in and get it checked out
Old 10-09-2015 | 12:00 PM
Racer

let me guess. It is probably TC issue.
I have same feeling when running around 50- 60 miles with gas pedal hit. When I let it coast at that speed range, the vibration goes off. I guess that is TC. I noticed at 50- 60 speed range, the rev is around 1200 which is the range to replicate the TC issue. At that speed range if you hit the gas pedal more to let the rev go above 1500, even your speed still is around 60, but the vibration goes away.
Old 10-10-2015 | 01:09 AM
4th Gear

A bad mount will cause vibration at a given RPM range, unaffected by vehicle speed. Run it through the gears and see if the vibration happens at a certain engine speed in every gear. If it doesn't then its part of the drive line or suspension.
Old 10-12-2015 | 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lltfly
let me guess. It is probably TC issue.
I have same feeling when running around 50- 60 miles with gas pedal hit. When I let it coast at that speed range, the vibration goes off. I guess that is TC. I noticed at 50- 60 speed range, the rev is around 1200 which is the range to replicate the TC issue. At that speed range if you hit the gas pedal more to let the rev go above 1500, even your speed still is around 60, but the vibration goes away.

I thought that the torque converter issue was only with AWD....my TL is FWD auto.
Old 01-21-2016 | 09:20 PM
Intermediate

I'm battling this issue for 2 MONTHS now. To be fair my service guy has tried everything. I have one new control arm, ALL new motor and trans mounts. Took it back for a pretty violent vibration, shook the steering wheel. diagnoses, BOTH axles bad.

Took a month to get them in, finally put them on, one OEM and one aftermarket. I drive and the vibration is still there, not as bad, but very apparent, and only when you go near the gas pedal. Hi and low speeds don't matter.

They think its normal, I even road with tech and while I am in the backseat, I feel it in the floor board bad. They now cant confirm until they can drive another 5 speed to compare.

Could a wheel bearing cause a loud click/clunk when reversing then going into drive? It's quite pronounced. They say normal axle play.

the last 6 months have been a nightmare. I'm tired.
Old 01-21-2016 | 09:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4GIRLS
I'm battling this issue for 2 MONTHS now. To be fair my service guy has tried everything. I have one new control arm, ALL new motor and trans mounts. Took it back for a pretty violent vibration, shook the steering wheel. diagnoses, BOTH axles bad.

Took a month to get them in, finally put them on, one OEM and one aftermarket. I drive and the vibration is still there, not as bad, but very apparent, and only when you go near the gas pedal. Hi and low speeds don't matter.

They think its normal, I even road with tech and while I am in the backseat, I feel it in the floor board bad. They now cant confirm until they can drive another 5 speed to compare.

Could a wheel bearing cause a loud click/clunk when reversing then going into drive? It's quite pronounced. They say normal axle play.

Did they check the motor mounts?
Old 01-21-2016 | 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

swap out the aftermarket one for an OEM one and the issue should go away. Also get the tires road force balanced.

Vibration under acceleration = Axles
Vibration at certain speed zones IE 60-72MPH or 82-90MPH, etc = Bent Rim
Vibration at speeds higher than 45+ that does not go away but may get worse = unbalanced tire.
Old 01-22-2016 | 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
swap out the aftermarket one for an OEM one and the issue should go away. Also get the tires road force balanced.

Vibration under acceleration = Axles
Vibration at certain speed zones IE 60-72MPH or 82-90MPH, etc = Bent Rim
Vibration at speeds higher than 45+ that does not go away but may get worse = unbalanced tire.
Motor mounts areally new, all this in last 6 months. Road force done twice, once by the dealer and once by Discount tire this weekend. Discount spun the tire on the rim.

Problem with axles, it took them a month to get the aftermarket one. This was all done by Acura. I'm thinking maybe that aftermarket one is bad. The problem improved but not solved. Apparently they didn't have a supplier for axles.

Does anyone else have a mild to moderate vibration they feel during acceleration?They're trying to say this might be normal.
Old 01-27-2016 | 09:09 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Sounds like both of you need to fire the mechanics you are going to. Just awful replacing all that shit and it doesn't even fix the issue.

Ok so. I will post some things that effect drive ability and vibration.

Bad tie rods.
Bad ball joints.
Bad U Joints.
Bent rims.
Belts shifted in a tire causing un-even balancing requiring a lot of wheel weights.
Bad or broken stabilizer links.
Bad engine mounts.
Bad drive shaft.
Wheel bearings.

Let me know exactly where the vibration is coming from and ill try help as best as I can.

That clunk when reversing is normal on these cars.

Might actually be the style of tire you are driving on too... sometime when you hit a certain kilometer or mph range with 1-6 mph or 1-10 km/h you'll feel a vibration in the gas pedal coming from the tires. As I said I need to know exactly what is going on. Where you feel the vibrations. Steering wheel, pedals, everything.

Last edited by JasonK; 01-27-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:16 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Also I'll add that you might have unbalanced tires and hopefully the shop you went to didn't static the weights on one side or they havn't calibrated their balancing machine in awhile.
Old 02-08-2016 | 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Great points guys. My advisor at Acura is cool and knows I'm gonna bug him, but that doesn't mean the tech is gonna find the issue. I can tell you both the dealer and the Discount I go to very often did a road force, spun the tire on the wheel. I have the good Michelin tires on it, lots of tread, never hit any hard bumps, car used to ride like a dream.

The thing is the vibration was improved after the 2 axles where replaced. Also one control arm has been replaced. The vibration is only felt on acceleration though, so it seems if it was many other things it would be there even when coasting. But once its not under load, all is quiet. I even felt it in my feet when I road in the back with the tech.

Again, all engine and trans mounts are new, passenger control arm. I am thinking since issue improved but not solved, maybe that one aftermarket axle is bad. Like bad inner joint. I would assume that they checked everything possible, but I know that's like believing in unicorns. I am waiting to put my jpipe and exhaust on because I don't want them blaming the vibration on that.
Old 02-10-2016 | 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Great points guys. My advisor at Acura is cool and knows I'm gonna bug him, but that doesn't mean the tech is gonna find the issue. I can tell you both the dealer and the Discount I go to very often did a road force, spun the tire on the wheel. I have the good Michelin tires on it, lots of tread, never hit any hard bumps, car used to ride like a dream.

The thing is the vibration was improved after the 2 axles where replaced. Also one control arm has been replaced. The vibration is only felt on acceleration though, so it seems if it was many other things it would be there even when coasting. But once its not under load, all is quiet. I even felt it in my feet when I road in the back with the tech.

Again, all engine and trans mounts are new, passenger control arm. I am thinking since issue improved but not solved, maybe that one aftermarket axle is bad. Like bad inner joint. I would assume that they checked everything possible, but I know that's like believing in unicorns. I am waiting to put my jpipe and exhaust on because I don't want them blaming the vibration on that.
TL is very sensitive to aftermarket axles for some reason. Swap for OEM and return the aftermarket junk.
The following users liked this post:
mpossible (01-06-2024)
Old 02-11-2016 | 12:27 AM
The Original Shawdy

This was a very common problem with the 1st gen TSX. Oem axles went bad and caused vibration at highway speeds. I swapped both of mine out and vibration never came back.
Old 02-17-2016 | 07:41 PM
Intermediate

That's my next step. Problem is that the dealer said they couldn't get them, no supplier I guess. At least he gave m I will check again though, because the vibration is starting to get worse.

And now I got an airbag that may kill me or mess up my pretty face.... I still love my car though. Carbon, I need them wheels you got, dang.

Last edited by 4GIRLS; 02-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2019 | 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JasonK
Sounds like both of you need to fire the mechanics you are going to. Just awful replacing all that shit and it doesn't even fix the issue.

Ok so. I will post some things that effect drive ability and vibration.

Bad tie rods.
Bad ball joints.
Bad U Joints.
Bent rims.
Belts shifted in a tire causing un-even balancing requiring a lot of wheel weights.
Bad or broken stabilizer links.
Bad engine mounts.
Bad drive shaft.
Wheel bearings.

Let me know exactly where the vibration is coming from and ill try help as best as I can.

That clunk when reversing is normal on these cars.

Might actually be the style of tire you are driving on too... sometime when you hit a certain kilometer or mph range with 1-6 mph or 1-10 km/h you'll feel a vibration in the gas pedal coming from the tires. As I said I need to know exactly what is going on. Where you feel the vibrations. Steering wheel, pedals, everything.
Vibration is on only one back tyre. It disappears when the speed increases. The vibration comes more when I press down pedal but comes slower when I accelerate gradually. Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 08-13-2019 | 04:50 PM
2nd Gear

Check sh-Awd system light

On the dashboard the check sh-Awd system light is always on. How can this be fixed?
Old 08-13-2019 | 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

tire balance?
Old 05-19-2022 | 10:09 PM
night ridah

did you ever get the other oem axle and have it fixed?
Old 12-07-2023 | 02:31 PM
Sauce God

When this happened to me is was my right rear rim, I got a new one and it went away immediately