Transmission P noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012 | 07:41 PM
Instructor

Transmission P noise

When shifting to P and releasing the brake pedal I hear a click noise as if the transmission got locked in P position, is this normal

I have a 2010 TL base . Car runs fine and great
Old 02-02-2012 | 12:06 PM
Instructor

anyone didnt notice this ? All AT owners please respond
Old 02-03-2012 | 09:18 AM
2nd Gear

Transmission noises

He Boss2k...

I own the 2012 TL and I notice some pretty loud noises when shifting from drive to reverse or vice versa but I'm not sure about when putting into park. Are you hearing the same noises when going into reverse or drive? Just recently I started hearing a click noise when I'd first drive the car in the morning and as I'd pull forward, as soon as I'd apply the break, I'd hear a pop noise. I thought I was running something over at first. The dealership said that noise was normal sounds from wearing it in being that it's new. Who knows...but that noise went away. This is my first Acura. Next time I get in the car, I'll see if I hear the trans sounds when putting it in park and let you know. Come to think of it...it seems like I do hear that noise when going into park but I'll double check. From what I was told, it's normal but it's definitely loud!
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:03 AM
Subsonic

Normal.
it's a heavy car, so im guessing it's a heavy pin htat locks the tranny down too.

with that being said, proper technique is to:
1. shift to N, holding the brakes
2. pull the handbrake
3. let off the brake pedal, make sure the car isnt creeping
4. then put the car into P.

this takes the pressure off transmission locking pin. if u dont do this, and just put it into P, u'll hear an even louder clunk when u shift out of P next time u drive.
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

Curious

What about when shifting into reverse from drive or vice versa? It's pretty loud when I do that but just checked earlier and I didn't notice any sounds when going into park but I know I have in the past. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-03-2012 | 12:54 PM
Intermediate

I had that problem when you park on an uneven ground, so if you do what Teddybear just say it would help out a lot but if it still don't help only thing you can do is bring it in to ur local dealership and see
Old 02-03-2012 | 08:57 PM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by jtodd76
What about when shifting into reverse from drive or vice versa? It's pretty loud when I do that but just checked earlier and I didn't notice any sounds when going into park but I know I have in the past. Thanks for the input.
normal for some clunking. if ur worried, shift to N to relieve the preloaded force that might be still in the tranny. then shift to the other gear. dont just smack it into D from R or R into D if u were using the previous gear.

if im parking i usually shift to N just before the car stops. come to a full stop, engage the parking brake, let off the brake then put it into P.
Old 02-03-2012 | 08:58 PM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by azngster
I had that problem when you park on an uneven ground, so if you do what Teddybear just say it would help out a lot but if it still don't help only thing you can do is bring it in to ur local dealership and see
yank on the handbrake a lil harder. i pull slowly till the car stops moving, then i put it into P.
i hate how these are designed. stupid drum e-brakes dont hold too well if ur car's slanted forward on a driveway...
Old 02-06-2012 | 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Teddybear
yank on the handbrake a lil harder. i pull slowly till the car stops moving, then i put it into P.
i hate how these are designed. stupid drum e-brakes dont hold too well if ur car's slanted forward on a driveway...
The drum brakes will hold fine but they need to be broken in. If they're only used when the car is stopped, they will never break in. I'm the original owner of my '06 and the e-brake has always been weak up to a year ago. I pulled it for a few seconds at a time while driving 40mph, maybe 6-7 times total and its very strong now. I barely have to pull it to stop the car, even on a hill. The shoes can't break in with the car stationary.
Old 02-06-2012 | 11:24 AM
Team Owner

As for the original problem, it might be the shift lock solenoid. Try putting it in park and applying and releasing the brakes to see if it will make the noise everytime.
Old 02-06-2012 | 01:56 PM
Subsonic

^i've done that too. lol it was much better afterwards, but still not as good as i'd liek it to be.
Old 02-08-2012 | 05:03 PM
Pro

Normal.
it's a heavy car, so im guessing it's a heavy pin htat locks the tranny down too.

with that being said, proper technique is to:
1. shift to N, holding the brakes
2. pull the handbrake
3. let off the brake pedal, make sure the car isnt creeping
4. then put the car into P.

this takes the pressure off transmission locking pin. if u dont do this, and just put it into P, u'll hear an even louder clunk when u shift out of P next time u drive.

i do that every time i park as well except i dont let go of my breaks until im in park.....this is especially good for ur tranny when u are on a hill because it relieves all the weight from the car to the gear.Notice if ur on a hill and dont pull the e brake before putting it in park when u leave and put it in drive u usually hear a loud clunk thats because of all the weight from the car was on the gear.Doing those few small steps u explained abvet help the longevity of of ones transmission.
Old 02-08-2012 | 07:44 PM
Subsonic

^if ur dont let off the brakes before u get into park, then it defeats the purpose if ur ebrake wasn't engaged hard enough.

i let off the brakes so i know 100% that the weight is on the parking brake. then i shift into park. i have never gotten shifting clunk coming out of P doing this.

i never understood how some people can never use their parking brake, and just let the tranny take all the weight of the car!
Old 02-08-2012 | 08:12 PM
Team Owner

It's not hard on the trans, it's just a parking pawl, a ratchet like mechanism made to hold the car.
Old 02-09-2012 | 12:48 PM
Pro

^if ur dont let off the brakes before u get into park, then it defeats the purpose if ur ebrake wasn't engaged hard enough.

i let off the brakes so i know 100% that the weight is on the parking brake. then i shift into park. i have never gotten shifting clunk coming out of P doing this.

i never understood how some people can never use their parking brake, and just let the tranny take all the weight of the car!

i see what u mean i guess both our ways are good but i def never understood ppl that dont use their parking brake if they only knew how much it helps there transmission

i even got my girlfriend doing it after a while its just a habbit.Another thing i do if i stop to talk to someone is i dont throw it in park i ebrake and just leave it in neutral
Old 02-09-2012 | 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aspecallday
i see what u mean i guess both our ways are good but i def never understood ppl that dont use their parking brake if they only knew how much it helps there transmission

i even got my girlfriend doing it after a while its just a habbit.Another thing i do if i stop to talk to someone is i dont throw it in park i ebrake and just leave it in neutral
Why would you do that? Park and neutral are the same thing except park engages the parking pawl. You could make a better argument for saving wear and tear on the shifter than the trans.
Old 02-09-2012 | 04:27 PM
Intermediate

I have noticed a clunk if I shift from D to P to D while holding my foot on the brake (I did this to unlock doors when dropping kids off at school) The clunk occurs when I shift back into D. It does not happen if I shift from D to P and then take my foot off the brake then shift back into D. All this is on level ground and the car will not roll even in neutral where I do this. I don't know the cause, but because I don't like the noise, I just use the door unlock button now.
Old 02-10-2012 | 04:27 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The drum brakes will hold fine but they need to be broken in. If they're only used when the car is stopped, they will never break in. I'm the original owner of my '06 and the e-brake has always been weak up to a year ago. I pulled it for a few seconds at a time while driving 40mph, maybe 6-7 times total and its very strong now. I barely have to pull it to stop the car, even on a hill. The shoes can't break in with the car stationary.
The rear parking brake can be adjusted.

Every Honda/Acura cars I have driven need no more than 3-4 clicks of pulling on the handle in order to stop firmly even on slopes.

When new, my 4G needed 7-8 clicks to prevent the car from roll back and use the transmission to hold the car on slopes. Still I virtually had to fight with the handle to get up to the 7-8 clicks.

So I bought it into the dealership, and had it adjusted. Now at 3-4 clicks, the car will stop positively even on slopes.
Old 02-11-2012 | 09:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The rear parking brake can be adjusted.

Every Honda/Acura cars I have driven need no more than 3-4 clicks of pulling on the handle in order to stop firmly even on slopes.

When new, my 4G needed 7-8 clicks to prevent the car from roll back and use the transmission to hold the car on slopes. Still I virtually had to fight with the handle to get up to the 7-8 clicks.

So I bought it into the dealership, and had it adjusted. Now at 3-4 clicks, the car will stop positively even on slopes.
Yes, but we're talking about two different things. One is pressure needed to stop the car. One is handle distance needed to stop the car. There is a break-in procedure for the shoes, the dealer probably performed this when they adjusted the cable.
Old 02-12-2012 | 06:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Why would you do that? Park and neutral are the same thing except park engages the parking pawl. You could make a better argument for saving wear and tear on the shifter than the trans.

i just feel like the back n forth of the shifting is ware and tare on shifter and transmission .so i just throw it in N as appose to P if im not staying there long

hope i dint confuse u...lol