transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission issue?

so driving down the road mostly when its really cold out i feel the car kinda jitter. i had it happen on the highway just cruising at 120 just kinda cuts out for a second doesnt rev up or anything. anyone else have this issue? cars going to the dealer in a week to flush front diff and trans
Old 01-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Did you tell the dealer about the problem? If it is power train depending on other info you might share could be under warranty.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:45 PM
5th Gear

transmission issue?

I have been experiencing this with my 2012 TL SH-AWD. did you ever determine the issue and fix?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Did you ever have the transmission software update done? Mine had issues like this and then acura offered all TL owners a free trans fluid flush along with a software update and it completely solved the hesitation issues I was having.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:48 PM
5th Gear

I did... i found that was an issue during acceleration, like if i wasn't giving it enough gas it would kind of hesitate and not know what it was doing. This issue just started and it just hesitates for a second and then kicks in again. i was wondering at first if it was just my traction control but i turned off the trac control and it still did it. i would almost compare it to driving over an ice patch and then suddenly gaining traction again. it is so brief and seems to be getting more frequent. i'm experiencing it while going steady speeds, both slower speeds through the city, 60-70 km/h and on the highway 110-120 km/h
Old 01-30-2018, 05:52 PM
5th Gear

i'm having trouble finding anything on this... most of my searches are coming back with the software hesitation issue, which i already had fixed.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:33 PM
7th Gear

So it was only when it was really cold i got dealer to drain and fill twice and its been 2 weeks no issue but it has been warmer as well
Old 02-11-2018, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Transmission Issue

I am having the same issue with my 2012 TL SH-AWD. It's an intermittent problem. It only happens while driving, and not during gear shifts. It does not matter how fast I am driving, 30MPH or cruise set at 75MPH. Randomly, I will feel a skip in the transmission. It happens when it's cold, within a few minutes of starting the car, and after driving for an hour plus, cruising down the expressway. It feels slightly like a judder, but more like a skip. I never know when it's going to happen, but I'm almost sure it does not affect the RPMs. I took it to the Acura Dealership, went out for a 20 minute test drive with the Mechanic. Of course, it do not happen while he was in the car. Once we got back, he checked the transmission fluid, and it was not on the dipstick at all! The car has 111k on it, and the same Acura Dealership did a transmission filter change and fluid drain and refill at 103k. The tech checked for leaks and any other issues, to see if the fluid may have gone somewhere, but he found nothing. This tells me the tech that did the fluid and filter change back at 103k did not fill it to where it needed to be? The Service writer said, "no charge" for the two hours they spent on it. They added multiple quarts of fluid to bring it where it needed to be. The Tech said it might help now, as the transmission can act funny when it does not have enough fluid. It has been a week since, and it is still having the issue, daily. Sometimes only a few times in a day. Other times, a dozen + in a day. I had the update done with the software, and it starts, runs, shifts, and accelerates just as it always has. Can anyone shed some light as to what it could be? Thank you!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:01 PM
5th Gear

I find it most common in the cold and when it is snowing. If you take it to the dealership again, I'd suggest doing it while it is snowing. I also agree on the speed, it seems irrelevant as it happens at all different speeds.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I am having the same problem.

2013 TL FWD. Only happens when it's cold under moderate acceleration. Hesitation and mild vibration/judder on the floor at 2nd gear.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Hmmm. I haven't noticed that. I'm using a bit of a different ATF setup - about a 1:1:1 ratio of Redline Lightweight Racing, Redline Racing, and DW1 fluids. But I never noticed any type of shudder or hesitation like that even when I was only running DW1. I almost always drive in S mode with paddle shifters so maybe that's why. Dunno.

What I have noticed in the cold is that the torque converter doesn't lock very quickly when the car is cold. Normally the TQ locks up pretty quick but it takes about 2 minutes of driving before it starts to lock after a cold start (depending on how cold it is outside). It's done it ever since I bought the car so I'm guessing it's normal.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that my 2012 TL Tech FWD is currently with Acura right now. It has 97K miles and I've owned it since 3k miles. I have experienced the shuttering since I've owned the car and have brought it to Acura about 5 times for investigation on the drivetrain. 1st visit they couldn't find an issue, 2nd they upgraded the software, 3rd they flushed the transmission and upgraded the software, 4th they replaced the torque converter and upgraded the software, then after multiple complaints and an appointment later they have decided to change out the transmission, for which they are doing right now - all covered under warranty. I went to couple different Acura dealerships that said they could not mimic my issue but finally found one in a better area that was very aware of the trouble with the transmission. I spoke with the master technician which stated this issue is very common with the 2012-2013 TL's. I am very happy with the service that I am getting from them and wanted to make all aware since this type of work can cost about 7-8k plus. If you are experiencing any shuttering what so ever, be sure to take your car in for an evaluation - it can save you lots of money because of the track record you will have of the complaints to Acura while still under warranty.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It's weird that some have this and others don't. It clearly seems like an engineering defect. I keep waiting for it to happen on mine. But at 140K, it's still not doing it.

So they're doing it for free even with the car having 97K miles?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I am having the same problem.

2013 TL FWD. Only happens when it's cold under moderate acceleration. Hesitation and mild vibration/judder on the floor at 2nd gear.
My 2013 TL is doing the same thing at low gears...almost like a mild grind but not. Did you figure out whether problem was power train? What have you had done? I was told not to dona transmission flush at 103k as its too late...I hope its not our transmission going out. Hit me back!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 PM
5th Gear

I personally haven't had anything done to mine yet. I literally just hit 100K on mine, in Km's. Transmission is def not the route i'd like to take. SuperSam, you still having any issues?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Honda usa tsb 16-040

There seems to be an ongoing jerking problem with 2012s. HONDA USA keeps revising their tech bulletin to address the issue.

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-040.PDF
Old 03-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
TO be quite honest I dont think there IS a fix.i 've had Software update, TWO transmission AND torque converters replaced all under warranty. And Even still the transmission is TOTALLY unpredictably crappy. I mostly experience all my issues at low speed, city driving. Taking off from Stop lights or entering and merging onto freeways. Some days the car is powerful and potent and you feel like you picked an awesome car...then other times its like WTF dude....at this point im scared AND confused about what to do nnext./
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
My 2013 FWD TL shifts butter smooth but there are occasions that at 20mph I feel a rough downshift. This only happens when I’m in bumper to bumper traffic. So far no other transmission problems knock on wood. My prevous 07 Civic 5 speed Auto makes the TL’s transmission feel like a dream.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
All I ever had is stupid ATF filter(s) get replaced. Otherwise the transmission has shifted perfect, though I have changed the transmission fluid few times out of boredom. I do when I want, not when the car wants. Do not think it has even ask yet.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Anicra
All I ever had is stupid ATF filter(s) get replaced. Otherwise the transmission has shifted perfect, though I have changed the transmission fluid few times out of boredom. I do when I want, not when the car wants. Do not think it has even ask yet.
Wow I wish I could do my own like that. lol Right now I’m having the Acura dealer do the drain and refill of transmission fluid I’m sure that’s with a change of filer as well. As for the update I don’t think my car has ever had that done. The dealer did try pushing a flush on me but I refused it. He mention putting detergent of some sort to flush out the lines and torque converter.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinuto

Wow I wish I could do my own like that. lol Right now I’m having the Acura dealer do the drain and refill of transmission fluid I’m sure that’s with a change of filer as well. As for the update I don’t think my car has ever had that done. The dealer did try pushing a flush on me but I refused it. He mention putting detergent of some sort to flush out the lines and torque converter.
Changing the ATF is easier than changing the oil.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Do the update

Originally Posted by Kinuto

I urge you to take advantage of every thing your warranty has to offer. The update is COVERED AT NO COST TO YOU.
If that doesn't work its clearly stated in the warranty extension letter you received that they are to replace torque converter.
Be scrutinizing. Better to get it done now while ur still covered.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
I urge you to take advantage of every thing your warranty has to offer. The update is COVERED AT NO COST TO YOU.
If that doesn't work its clearly stated in the warranty extension letter you received that they are to replace torque converter.
Be scrutinizing. Better to get it done now while ur still covered.
I plan on telling them about the update this weekend when they drain and fill my transmission. So far I never got letter regarding the update or torque converter. I did however received one about the Air bag recall and some class action settlement. I did have a 2007 Civic so no clue if it was for that car. I took ownership of my TL in March 2017 but have been doing all my oil changes at the dealer. So I should be in their system.