Ticking sound from engine bay, help listen

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Ticking sound from engine bay, help listen

Hi, guys
it is annoying this months, may due to cold weather, have weird noise come. the link below is the video record of the noise I heard today, first time heard this nosie since I bought the car three years ago.
car has 54k miles.
do you guys have idea on the ticking sound?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
You know i used to have purge control solenoid valve make a similar noise in my CL - replaced it twice before it stopped. Gotta double check let me look at the engine set up. Pretty sure that was what it was, when it was cold out it would sound like tapping valves. Used to sit right by the brake master cylinder on CL, ill have to look on the current TL.

Last edited by Anicra; 01-07-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Anicra
You know i used to have purge control solenoid valve make a similar noise in my CL - replaced it twice before it stopped. Gotta double check let me look at the engine set up. Pretty sure that was what it was, when it was cold out it would sound like tapping valves. Used to sit right by the brake master cylinder on CL, ill have to look on the current TL.
Hi, I viewed some videos posted online having similar ticking, tapping noise, which was mentioned about Timing belt tensionor issue.
But, I feel like the sound is louder on the intake side more than timing belt side. I will try to replicate tomorrow morning seeing if it shows up again cause this noise first time happened today
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Pro

Can you find where the tapping noise is coming from by feeling around the engine? Be interested what it was or will be.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Racer

Can you find where the tapping noise is coming from by feeling around the engine? Be interested what it was or will be.
"
TheZXKUQYB
Purge Control Solenoid Valve or something like it if you have one on that car. Always make more noise as the temp goes down."

Is that you also commeting on the youtue? just wondering if another folk recognize the issue?
This morning, temp around 23, I did not hear the same noise again. it is kind of~~~~, I set up appointment with dealer on Friday, dropping off the car, they check on Saturday morning. wondering they would come back to me saying "can not replicate the issue". I will show the video record to the technician, hope it would be helpful. btw, is the purge contorl valve easy to access and replace?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Well, you could try a valve adjustment for good measure, just to rule it out

Does it go away once the engine warms up?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, you could try a valve adjustment for good measure, just to rule it out

Does it go away once the engine warms up?
that happened at the past Sunday Morning, right after the coldest night of the year, real feel around -25 f at night in NH. to be honest, during the warm up period(I will start off when the temp gauge move up to the first tick), I did not notice the sound while I was cleaning around the snow, salt stuck on the splash guard area. Drove the car for 1 minute to the close by Dunkins, when got off the car, immediately heard ticking sound from fender area. then opened up the hood shot the video. I also shut off the engine, re start, at first 5s no ticking noise, then noise came up back.
restarted the car and kept driving to where I went, checked the noise whenever stop by, did not hear again.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Racer

this link I found from Youtube. do you think is the same noise as mine?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Pro

It would tick on my old CL - I swear to god I thought F'n valve noise.- it was slight bit deeper on my 01 CL type s than one the fit. It would be annoying especially when it was cold out. Your sound instantly sent off my brain. There is another video on Youtube with a CL making the sound however mine was closer to yours than his. It was a tapping sound.
Not saying that what yours is...I cannot even find it on the current TL. So Ill keep looking at the schematics.
Not 100pct sure this is the correct diagram looking to see if this the same unit I am referring to. Since I have not heard one on a 4GTL, again not 100pct sure that is your problem.
Funny thing my wife heard your video and she instantly thought the same thing since she drove the CL the most. I always got the crap car. She drove my Supra Turbo. Prelude Si Vtec, and Acura CL into the ground. Actually the CL is someone else's car somewhere even at 210k miles on it. The 01 Acura CL typeS was a beast for 2001.

Does #2 feel like that is where the tapping is coming from?

Last edited by Anicra; 01-08-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Racer

It would tick on my old CL - I swear to god I thought F'n valve noise.- it was slight bit deeper on my 01 CL type s than one the fit. It would be annoying especially when it was cold out. Your sound instantly sent off my brain. There is another video on Youtube with a CL making the sound however mine was closer to yours than his. It was a tapping sound.
Not saying that what yours is...I cannot even find it on the current TL. So Ill keep looking at the schematics.
Not 100pct sure this is the correct diagram looking to see if this the same unit I am referring to. Since I have not heard one on a 4GTL, again not 100pct sure that is your problem.
Funny thing my wife heard your video and she instantly thought the same thing since she drove the CL the most. I always got the crap car. She drove my Supra Turbo. Prelude Si Vtec, and Acura CL into the ground. Actually the CL is someone else's car somewhere even at 210k miles on it. The 01 Acura CL typeS was a beast for 2001.

By looking at the schematic, I do not know what number 2 is, But the position on #2 is exactly the loudest spot when I heard that sound. I shut off the car and restarted, first 5 secs, no noise, but the 6th sec when the noise came up, that #2 position immedately got louder.
Bad, this morning I was trying to hear the noise when start up, can not hear again since that coldest morning. but~~~ I looked around the engine bay, found a nut at below the "E-3" back side, some oil on that nut, looks like oil seeping out. shit, since I got the car, been babying the car.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Racer

is this the one purge valve control solenoid?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:19 AM
Pro

Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 AM
Pro

Gotta tell me if that is your problem
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Racer

Gotta tell me if that is your problem
Ok, Will visit dealership Saturday, see how would they tell me
Old 01-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Pro

And...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Racer

And...
And Sunnyside Acura dealership sucks in Nashua NH.
They coould not replicate the issue, called me first time saying may need valve adjustment, I said check out the odometer and year of my car and call me back, second call is about timing belt tensionor, I told him if it is tensionor you would hear the noise all the time. called me third time saying not able to replicate the issue.
I got into the shop to talk to techinician also pointed him out for he seeping spot on the other thread(he did not even find out the seeping), I implicitly and explicitly mentioned to him about the purge control valve solenoid, he said he has to listen the noise in person to determine.
I was asked for 139.99 dollars for diagnose. I refused to pay for nothing. car is under powertrain warranty and I have Acura care. totally waste my time back forth 3 times to the shop .
Old 01-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
i hear similar noise on my 2011 TL SHAWD it use to go away when engine warm up but noise stays, the same thing. If anyone finds out anything about this noise let me know.
I have worked on my older Acura and Honda before but this v6 engines seems more complicated.
Thanks
Ed
Old 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by edm365f31
Hi
i hear similar noise on my 2011 TL SHAWD it use to go away when engine warm up but noise stays, the same thing. If anyone finds out anything about this noise let me know.
I have worked on my older Acura and Honda before but this v6 engines seems more complicated.
Thanks
Ed
Hi, are you able to replicate the noise? how cold will you hear that noise? After the extreme cold temp(around -14 F), I could not hear that noise again. Dealer could not replicate, so looks like the issue will not be addressed until it gets worse or easy to replicate.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
That ticking noise is from the EVAP canister purge valve. You can verify this by disconnecting the 2-pin connector from the valve.

When the engine coolant temperature is below 140 °F (60 °C), the ECM/PCM turns off the EVAP canister purge valve which cuts vacuum to the EVAP canister.

2012 TL - EVAP Control System Component Location Index
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...untry=1&lang=0

2012 TL - Fuel and Emissions System Description - EVAP Control System

2012 TL - EVAP Canister Purge Valve Replacement

Last edited by EE4Life; 01-21-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EE4Life
That ticking noise is from the EVAP canister purge valve. You can verify this by disconnecting the 2-pin connector from the valve.

When the engine coolant temperature is below 140 °F (60 °C), the ECM/PCM turns off the EVAP canister purge valve which cuts vacuum to the EVAP canister.

2012 TL - EVAP Control System Component Location Index

2012 TL - Fuel and Emissions System Description - EVAP Control System

2012 TL - EVAP Canister Purge Valve Replacement
Thanks for the information. is it one of the TSBs? Back and forth to dealer 3 times, could not make them to fix because they could not replicate the noise in person. even myself, the noise only happened once at extreme cold weather. is this valve control failing?
Old 01-25-2018, 03:37 AM
Pro

is this valve control failing?
I never had it fail. Just got tired of hearing it esp. when it was cold out. That why I replaced the one on my old car.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Racer

I never had it fail. Just got tired of hearing it esp. when it was cold out. That why I replaced the one on my old car.
Since dealer and myself could not replicate the noise, and most likely it is the purge valve control, what I can do is living with it. the position of this part is easy to access, some day I can replace it by myself if it comes up more often
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a similar ticking sound but only happens when I go above 1500 RPM
Old 01-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Cruisin'

Mine is steady ticking noise, I initially thought it’s related to valves, I added Lucas oil additive, that did not make a difference. Closer it seems to be coming from the top not the valve heads which does more like chirping sound when you go closer.

i will try disconnecting the purge valve solenoid Connector see if that make a difference, reading through this thread tells me that the noise I hear is not really a critical show stopper issue, but really annoying.

i will keep you folks posted on what the behavior is once I go through your recommendation.

thanks.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Cruisin'

Update on noise, it was the timing belt tensioner making the noise for me, I used stethoscope to try to isolate noise. I just replaced timing belt tensioner, timing belt, tensioner pulley, belt pulley, thermostat, and crankshaft seal. Loud ticks gone now back to the silent tick like purr.
My car is 96K miles.
Thanks everyone.