squeeking/hissing/whistling

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeeking/hissing/whistling

hey guys,

sorry this is a bit long.

i dont know too much about cars but i figured id get your guys opinions here as there is surely a shit load of knowledge here.... thank you in advance

--SHORTVERSION--→car was fucked, took to Acura, told em it was probably shaft(figured after reading forums/fb), they said no it was wheel bearing, got it back, its still fucked making same sound...

soooo the detailed version

i have a 4g 2010 TL AWD with approx 76k miles. i bought it used with a rebuilt title (rear ended, no damage to frame, had it checked out before purchase) so out of warranty. iv had it for about 2 years now with minor issues.

a few months back i noticed a slight hissing sound occasionally at random times and speed. it stayed until i slowed down to less than 20 mph and would continue after i got up passed 20 again.

about 2 weeks ago it was actually getting pretty bad. consistently, every time i accelerate passed 20 mph, i would hear a hissing and as i would slow down it would have a whistling sound to it. on my way home from work i rolled down the windows and listened in a narrow path and could hear a slight whistling to it echoing back. it was loud. i could hear it over my music and i would see people look over at me =/

so i took it into Acura and they were VERY nice and polite. gave me a loaner and everything. i told them that i was fairly certain that it was the prop/drive shaft(which i got from reading here on the forums and on the FB group) they said ok and that they would check it out. i also asked them to do an inspection and check everything else out as well as fix my right turn signal not staying on (been like that for a bit and was fuckin annoying) and my air filter.

so the next day they called me and told me that they took it for a drive and couldn't hear what i was describing over the sound of my bad wheel bearing.... they said that they are pretty sure that this is what im hearing and told me that they would do that, then the turn signal and then the inspection...

soooo they call me back about a day later and tell me that during the inspection they found i needed new brakes and one of my calipers is seized....so they need to replace that....

so i picked it up yesterday at the end of the day... keep in mind this place is about an hour south of me and i had to leave after work.

after arriving he walked me through what they did and what they found (super polite and all) and the car looked GREAT! even gave it a bath!

told me that they took it for a test drive and all is well, so i pay them 1800+ and head on my way... after i get on the freeway and am about half way home i hear the hissing again but now a lot clearer.... they are already closed at this point so i finish home and as i get home i notice that its even louder. and kinda squeakier.

i called them today and they told me that they want me to bring it back and check the drive shaft which will cost me about 1500... ='(

i called Acura customer relations and she said i might want to contact the GM or Sales Manager and see if they want to work with me.

any thoughts here?

what should i do?

how should i handle this?

thank you everyone for the help and sorry again this is so long...
Old 02-18-2016, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

fuck spelling =/
Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 AM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you ran over an angry squirrel? Jk
Once you paid the bill its over . Its a matter of who wins the argument now and how high you will escalate it will determine how it will resolve.
By the explanation it seems to be drivetrain related. Jack up the rear and spin the wheels in neutral. Listen for noise as its related to anything spinning, driveshaft, rotors, sticky calipers, bearings, brakes dust shield.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM
10th Gear

Thank you much for the info! I'll do that right after work and see if I hear anything!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:17 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Is it more of a whining sound? If so it's probably your propeller shaft. It's pretty common on these cars. Because the original shaft is probably the carbon fiber one. They replaced these with a different type of prop shaft.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JasonK
Is it more of a whining sound? If so it's probably your propeller shaft. It's pretty common on these cars. Because the original shaft is probably the carbon fiber one. They replaced these with a different type of prop shaft.
Yep very whiny u took a video of it but it's hard to hear with road sounds and wind :/ ...and I don't know how to add it here
Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MustacheRide89
Yep very whiny u took a video of it but it's hard to hear with road sounds and wind :/ ...and I don't know how to add it here
Sorry "I took a video"
Old 02-19-2016, 03:01 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Post in on YouTube and post the link here.

I think it's probably your drive shaft aka propeller shaft. Especially if it's when your slowing down and speeding up. It'll make a winding down whining noise and a louder whining noise when you accelerate.

If it's under warranty I would get it replaced before you have to pay 1000$
Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 PM
10th Gear

well, Acura Relations called me and told me that they were sorry about everything. told me to bring it in before i could put the vid up in youtube. after i brought it in they told me that they were going to fix it all up with only charging me for the part itself (btw not under warranty so it was about a grand =/ ) they replaced the drive shaft and all is well... sure as shit that was the issue.

thank you all for trying to help out.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 PM
10th Gear

i can still post the vid if you guys want btw
Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by MustacheRide89
well, Acura Relations called me and told me that they were sorry about everything. told me to bring it in before i could put the vid up in youtube. after i brought it in they told me that they were going to fix it all up with only charging me for the part itself (btw not under warranty so it was about a grand =/ ) they replaced the drive shaft and all is well... sure as shit that was the issue.

thank you all for trying to help out.
Figured as much & you're welcome
Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JasonK
Really? Is there a place I can read about that? It would be welcome news if the new part worked. I got a new prop shaft just recently under warranty. I'd sure love the car if it didn't need a new prop shaft every 5k miles...
Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by BadVibe08
Really? Is there a place I can read about that? It would be welcome news if the new part worked. I got a new prop shaft just recently under warranty. I'd sure love the car if it didn't need a new prop shaft every 5k miles...
I wouldn't worry about it since it should've been changed over to a new style prop shaft. There is no TSB's for this.