Rough Down shift and jerking...WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Rough Down shift and jerking...WTF??

all,
For the past 2 weeks, I've noticed something that didn't happen before. The TL had rough down shift especially when slowing down from 40mph to 30mph. I could feel the car "Jerking"(RPM jumps to 3000 then drop down). This rough down shift didn't happen before. Has anyone notice the same problem??
I did the 3x3 transmission flush about 1k miles ago along with changing differential fluid and the car only has 46k miles.
Could it be the brake pedal didn't go all the way which cause the computer to use engine brake to slow the car down??...
Thanks..
Old 08-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
check the trans fluid level and make sure it's between the 2 dots when hot, within 60 seconds of shutting the engine off.

If there's not the right amount of fluid it can cause wonky stuff to happen.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
My car does this everyday when coming into my neighborhood because my exit lane is coming off a 45mph road, so when I get over I'm at about 40mph, when i drop to about 35 the rpms shoot up and its a rough shift for a second and then car finds right gear. I think it's an Acura quirk. Did the same thing on my 05TL.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I was experiencing a similar problem but typically when going uphill at low throttle, the RPM would jump up and down surging but the dealer did a trans fluid change about 5k miles ago and the problem hasn't reappeared since. I think my torque converter will eventually fail but the fluid change has solved it for the time being.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
check the trans fluid level and make sure it's between the 2 dots when hot, within 60 seconds of shutting the engine off.

If there's not the right amount of fluid it can cause wonky stuff to happen.
Thanks csmeance,
I checked the fluid and it's a little lower than the mid point.
Should I top it off to the high mark? If I do, does it harm the transmission???
Old 08-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
My car does this everyday when coming into my neighborhood because my exit lane is coming off a 45mph road, so when I get over I'm at about 40mph, when i drop to about 35 the rpms shoot up and its a rough shift for a second and then car finds right gear. I think it's an Acura quirk. Did the same thing on my 05TL.
Did you step on the brake pedal when it does that? I hit the brake but the surge still happened especially when it's around 50mph or lower speed...
Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wreak
I was experiencing a similar problem but typically when going uphill at low throttle, the RPM would jump up and down surging but the dealer did a trans fluid change about 5k miles ago and the problem hasn't reappeared since. I think my torque converter will eventually fail but the fluid change has solved it for the time being.
Have you done the 3x3 drain and fill method?? The symptom didn't happen before, it's just been the recent weeks...
Old 08-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooldude01
Have you done the 3x3 drain and fill method?? The symptom didn't happen before, it's just been the recent weeks...
Nope, I took it into the dealer complaining about rough shifts and hesitation, they suggested a transmission fluid change. They said it had solved the problem on other TL's experiencing the same issue and so far it's worked for me for the last 3 months.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks csmeance,
I checked the fluid and it's a little lower than the mid point.
Should I top it off to the high mark? If I do, does it harm the transmission???
The fluid needs to be between those 2 dots. If it's at the mid-point you should be perfect! Did you use DW1 trans fluid or something else?
Old 09-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Racer

I always use DW1 from Acura stealership.. The symptom is getting worse this past week. I'll schedule the appointment with the dealer to see what's going on..
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I always use DW1 from Acura stealership.. The symptom is getting worse this past week. I'll schedule the appointment with the dealer to see what's going on..
it could be worn pressure switches or some debris blocking the transmission solenoids. I'd replace the pressure switches first and then see if it helps. If not, clean out those solenoids.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2012 TL had jerky feel. Had it diagnosed at Acura dealer. They replaced torque converter. Shifts smoothly now.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a 2012 TL last week and have enjoyed it for my first week but when I took a test drive of it and I noticed this same behavior when coasting or slowing down the car that it felt like the brakes were being applied. The salesman swayed me to believe this was normal because the transmission is very advanced and is done to top gas mileage. Should I take it to Acura? I still have a year bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:30 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, take it to an Acura dealership and have them drive it and run a diagnostic. They will send the results to Acura for an evaluation.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Banned

I bought my 2012 TL with 44000 miles on it 2 weeks ago & it didn't have the transmission fluid changed at 30K. I experienced the jerkiness also when the car was slowing down. The transmission cooler filter needed changing also so I went and got the trans fluid changed & the filter. They didn't replace any torque converter or do any software updates & the car shifts much better. You still feel the car shift when slowing down but I believe Acura transmissions are like that. They aren't super smooth and mushy, it's more sporty and you will feel the shifts, even though now its very slight. Overall I'm pleased
Old 10-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Had the same issue. Brought my car to the dealer. We took it on a test run and the Thec noticed some slight jerking. I asked to run a test with snapshots witch they did. Received a call the next day telling me they will replace the Torque Converter.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm experiencing the same symptoms on my 2012. It looks like it is time to go have this diagnosed.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 FWD Tech here, same exact symptoms at 66k miles. A few other things I've noticed are:

- When I leave for work in the morning at very light throttle, the shift from 1 to 2 will make the car bog down / lose acceleration for a split second, then proceed as normal. On the shift to 2nd the RPM drops to 800-900.

- This happens sporadically and I can't always reproduce it, but sometimes at light to medium throttle from a stop, the shift from 1 to 2 will cause the car to start jerking forward and back 4-5 times before accelerating normally again. I want to say that in most cases I get light jerk 1 or 2 times on the shift, with very bad occurrences happening not that often.

Anyone else having these symptoms? I always have bad luck with dealerships... I just have a feeling they're just going to shoot straight for the "change your tranny fluid" excuse. I just did a 3x3 about 25k ago, and the fluid is still between the two dots and is bright red.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
2012 FWD Tech here, same exact symptoms at 66k miles. A few other things I've noticed are:

- When I leave for work in the morning at very light throttle, the shift from 1 to 2 will make the car bog down / lose acceleration for a split second, then proceed as normal. On the shift to 2nd the RPM drops to 800-900.

- This happens sporadically and I can't always reproduce it, but sometimes at light to medium throttle from a stop, the shift from 1 to 2 will cause the car to start jerking forward and back 4-5 times before accelerating normally again. I want to say that in most cases I get light jerk 1 or 2 times on the shift, with very bad occurrences happening not that often.

Anyone else having these symptoms? I always have bad luck with dealerships... I just have a feeling they're just going to shoot straight for the "change your tranny fluid" excuse. I just did a 3x3 about 25k ago, and the fluid is still between the two dots and is bright red.
Had the same symptoms on mine. Felt the same slight jerking when the car was shifting. At first i thought it was normal since I've almost drove stick shift almost all my life and it was my first Acura. But thanks to Acurazine I learn that it wasn't! Got my car back today and drives like a new one! So smooth! My only advice would be to go to your local dealer and start with a kind and positive approach then take it from there. If they feed you horse shit just try to find a good rated customer service dealer in your area.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I had the same exact shit going on, but it went completely away fare I did the 3/3/3 trams fluid change and filter. Weird...
Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Well, I have an appointment on Monday to have the car diagnosed. I mentioned torque converter to the service adviser on the phone, and he said yeah that's a pretty common issue, so I may be in luck.

I'll be crossing my fingers to hope they replace it under warranty.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Well, I have an appointment on Monday to have the car diagnosed. I mentioned torque converter to the service adviser on the phone, and he said yeah that's a pretty common issue, so I may be in luck.

I'll be crossing my fingers to hope they replace it under warranty.
Its covered by the warranty. They should do an alignement as well after the job is done. Shouldn't cost you a penny!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Instructor

So far they said they haven't found anything (yeah right), but will be hooking it up to the laptop for datalogging in the morning. It's the worst in the mornings anyways, so hopefully they catch something.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:59 AM
Instructor

So far they said they haven't found anything (yeah right), but will be hooking it up to the laptop for datalogging in the morning. It's the worst in the mornings anyways, so hopefully they catch something.
Well, I should have known I was going to get screwed. They said they couldn't replicate the issue, but there was a software update for the transmission, and they're getting me an estimate to replace the transmission fluid.

I'm just going to get the fluid and change it myself, but I'm still pissed. At least I have an extended 100k warranty, so I may get another chance down the road.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Well, I should have known I was going to get screwed. They said they couldn't replicate the issue, but there was a software update for the transmission, and they're getting me an estimate to replace the transmission fluid.

I'm just going to get the fluid and change it myself, but I'm still pissed. At least I have an extended 100k warranty, so I may get another chance down the road.
I can't make edits yet so sorry for the triple post. Just wanted to make sure this is all documented. Went to go get my car back, and they tried charging me $130 for the software update. I politely declined, telling them that if there was an update for the transmission software, then that is just acknowledging that there was an issue that needed to be fixed. The manager was nice and waived the fee, but they did say that the transmission is not covered under the power train warranty. I think that is bull, but I will reserve judgement until I read the fine print in the manual for myself. What good is a car if the engine can make power but not use it?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Racer

They bull$$it you on the power train warranty. Your car is 2012 so it's under warranty until 2018 or 70k miles which ever comes first. They have to honor the factory warranty no question ask.
If they deny it next time, get acura corporate involve or find another dealership.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Instructor

The software update appears to have made absolutely no change to how the car drives. After being told an outrageous price for 12 quarts of DW-1 at various Honda and Acura dealerships around me, I will be ordering online and replacing it myself.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

The software update appears to have made absolutely no change to how the car drives. After being told an outrageous price for 12 quarts of DW-1 at various Honda and Acura dealerships around me, I will be ordering online and replacing it myself.

Thanks for the help everyone.
If you buy it by the case it should be less than $90 at honda!

Also I would suggest replacing your pressure switches for the transmission. the 3G guys have done it and found the switches drift from specs by 7PSI or so causing rough shifts, flares, etc.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
If you buy it by the case it should be less than $90 at honda!

Also I would suggest replacing your pressure switches for the transmission. the 3G guys have done it and found the switches drift from specs by 7PSI or so causing rough shifts, flares, etc.
Are the pressure switches internal or external and are they easy to replace?
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
They're external and they're somewhat easy to replace.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheDingo
They're external and they're somewhat easy to replace.
Do we have any instruction for replacing these?
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. I'd say just run a search on the forum if you can't get your hands on a manual.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Are the pressure switches internal or external and are they easy to replace?
Thanks.
they are external and on the lower outside of the transmission by the driver side wheel well.

The 3G section has a DIY and it should be similar for the 4G.

You can use acuraomeparts.com to pull up the parts diagram to see which switches are where.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
The 3G pressure switches are found at slightly different locations on the tranny. Have a look at this thread that I started a while ago:
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...itches-913431/
Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Racer

You guys are the best...
I've read acupower original post but i'm a little hesitation because of the replacement pressure switches are made in CHINA. I don't really trust their reliability but I'll do a little more research with part number see if I can get the Japanese ones.
Thanks a lot guys.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acupower
The 3G pressure switches are found at slightly different locations on the tranny. Have a look at this thread that I started a while ago:
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...itches-913431/
acupower, you mentioned that the shift was smoother and less hesitation after replacing the switches. What about the downshift when you slow the car down? Did it still exist?
Thanks bro.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Instructor

I haven't noticed any difference in downshifts. I never really found my downshifts to be a problem. The most problematic shifting in my opinion was the 1st to 2nd gear shift while pressing the gas pedal gently. With both generations TL that I have it has always been the 1st to 2nd gear shift that has shown slight hesitation.

After changing the ATF and these pressure switches I have noticed small improvements. However, it is also worth mentioning that I have been running Redline Racing ATF in my tranny over the past year and a half. With a lower content of friction modifiers, the racing ATF definitely allows for quicker and mode decisive shifts.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Instructor

I wouldn't worry about the pressure switches being manufactured in China. I consider the pressure switches regular maintenance. I will be changing them every 2 years or roughly 60,000 km. They will never have the chance to go out of calibration in that period.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acupower
I haven't noticed any difference in downshifts. I never really found my downshifts to be a problem. The most problematic shifting in my opinion was the 1st to 2nd gear shift while pressing the gas pedal gently. With both generations TL that I have it has always been the 1st to 2nd gear shift that has shown slight hesitation.

After changing the ATF and these pressure switches I have noticed small improvements. However, it is also worth mentioning that I have been running Redline Racing ATF in my tranny over the past year and a half. With a lower content of friction modifiers, the racing ATF definitely allows for quicker and mode decisive shifts.
Thanks for the information.
The only thing i'm trying to improve is how to smooth out the down shift. I'm hoping changing the pressure switches will help with the problem but since you haven't noticed the different then I'm not sure if I should change them.
Just to reassure my problem, I watch the RPM and it spikes up when slowing down, sometime I won't see it, other time I do... and it drives me nut..
Old 05-26-2019, 05:04 PM
Abraham's TL

Thanks for the information.
The only thing i'm trying to improve is how to smooth out the down shift. I'm hoping changing the pressure switches will help with the problem but since you haven't noticed the different then I'm not sure if I should change them.
Just to reassure my problem, I watch the RPM and it spikes up when slowing down, sometime I won't see it, other time I do... and it drives me nut..
Hey there
I have a 2014 TL FWD and it does the same thing you all are describing(Rough shifts - 1st to 2nd, rough down shifts, gear staying at 4th longer). Took the car to several dealership several times and they say that they see the problem and they do a transmission flush everytime. The car has 25k miles and has had the tranny flush done 4 times. The last time I took it to them, they said to do the TQ software update and it seemed fine (Maybe a placebo effect) but its gotten worse again. So did changing out the pressure switched help? I am willing to give it a try and see, if it helps. I am tired of not being able to enjoy the car. Thanks to this forum, I was able to find a lot of things.

Quick Reply: Rough Down shift and jerking...WTF??