Rattles, rattles, rattles!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Rattles, rattles, rattles!!! Help!!!

I got my 2010 TL SH-AWD a month ago. I love my car - it's smooth and quiet, the handling is wonderful and the gas mileage is even better than I expected. However, it has now developed rattles from the front driver window, the dashboard and the rear deck!!! I could not believe it and I surely did not expect it from a brand new $43K car!

Anyway, the dealership tried to fix the front driver window rattles twice already and while they are better, they are still not completely gone. They could not really find much with the dashboard noise - but you know how it is, these noises are intermittent, and when they test drove it, they probably could not hear them.

My brand new car has already spent way more than a week at the dealership, out of my one month ownership period!!!

Just trust my luck to get a rattle box like this, considering that this does not seem to be a huge issue with the other posters here.

What should I do if they cannot fix these noises? What are my options? I am just getting rather frustrated but I am willing to work with the dealership to get them fixed, if they can be fixed at all...

HELP!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
wow

My 2004 3G had dash rattles

but my 4G has none
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Check to see if the noise from the window is actually coming from the sunroof area. It is a common problem with the sheet metal in the roof.

See this thread for more info as this was the same problem for me.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/possible-service-bulletin-roof-rattle-2010-sh-awd-tech-770435/
Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Thanks!

Originally Posted by MyT6MT
Check to see if the noise from the window is actually coming from the sunroof area. It is a common problem with the sheet metal in the roof.

See this thread for more info as this was the same problem for me.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770435
Thanks so much for the link - this is very helpful information. I will give my advisor a call in the morning to ask him to look into these possible issues. I really appreciate your help! I hope it works....

Yes, I think that we have all paid too much money to put up with these rattles!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
cars rattle...its just the way it is...i spent alot of time trying to debug my 07 type s, and eventually i just learned to live with it...i notice this car seems to be way tighter then the 3g, so i will keep my fingers crossed...i did also notice that the sound system is much better, so i dont know if i will ever notice any rattles!!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the sunroof rattle and the rear deck one, too.

I think plenty of people have them, some of us are just more irked than others! They drive me crazy too, but at least they are pretty intermittent...mostly over rough pavement.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
wow

My 2004 3G had dash rattles

Who didn't

My 2004 TL had more squeaks and rattles than a haunted house. My 09 on the other hand was super quiet, occasional back deck buzz under some bas, but very rare and not enough to even warrant a trip to the dealer. My M37S on the other hand they need to learn from Acura, the M is no where as well assembled on the inside as the 4G TL. Door pannels buzz constantly and when you have body twist over some bumps the dash makes plenty of squeaks, my TL was rock solid. But I also think the 4G TL had far superior torsion ridigity than the M37 does, I never felt the TL twist like I do the M37.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

I noticed you have the TL Tech. Just wondering if things got loose after taking enthusiastic advantage of the 400+ watts available in the ELS sound system? Volume setting 8-10 is plenty loud enough for me, for example, probably not even using 20%.

Got a FWD 2010 TL Tech, no rattles and squeaks (yet) after 3000 miles, 50% driving on relatively good highways and 50% commuting on some atrocious Boston-area roads. Knock on wood. Rides much firmer than my 2000 TL with 165K miles on it, which never had rattles and squeaks but did have clunking that was fixed by replacing bushings at front wheel links and at front/rear sway bars.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Asynchro
I noticed you have the TL Tech. Just wondering if things got loose after taking enthusiastic advantage of the 400+ watts available in the ELS sound system? Volume setting 8-10 is plenty loud enough for me, for example, probably not even using 20%.

Got a FWD 2010 TL Tech, no rattles and squeaks (yet) after 3000 miles, 50% driving on relatively good highways and 50% commuting on some atrocious Boston-area roads. Knock on wood. Rides much firmer than my 2000 TL with 165K miles on it, which never had rattles and squeaks but did have clunking that was fixed by replacing bushings at front wheel links and at front/rear sway bars.
I love the ELS sound system.... but no! I did not indulge in the 400+ Watts output!!! LOL! I mainly listen to classical and jazz, and I have the volume up to about 8-10 also. So we cannot blame the ELS for that.... sigh!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a rear clunking/"rattle" that I've been battling the past TEN months now. Next week it's going in for the FOURTH time. Each time they fix it and 2-3 weeks later it returns. Claim each time is seams rubbing against each other on the passenger side rear door cut out (the back side).

On highways, no issues. It's when the car is driven on local roads, making turns, starting from a stand still, etc. We're not talking about driving over washboard roads like in Manhattan.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Drifting

How long have you had the car for?

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
I have a rear clunking/"rattle" that I've been battling the past TEN months now. Next week it's going in for the FOURTH time. Each time they fix it and 2-3 weeks later it returns. Claim each time is seams rubbing against each other on the passenger side rear door cut out (the back side).

On highways, no issues. It's when the car is driven on local roads, making turns, starting from a stand still, etc. We're not talking about driving over washboard roads like in Manhattan.
While I really love the 4G TL, these noises are just not acceptable. I am already looking up my state's lemon law in case they cannot fix them.... are you still in the first year of your purchase? Will it qualify for your state's lemon law?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i think lemon law means something needs to be wrong with the car that makes it not safely drivable ... i doubt rattles qualifies for that
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I think lemon law has to do with a safety issue but I'm not 100% sure. I've had my car since early September 2009. So it's almost since Day 1 and I've got service invoiced to proved that it lasted this long!!!!

I'm about to "just leave it be" like the 3G people (from what I've heard).

I don't really want to get Corporate involved as the dealer has been addressing it each time I bring it in. They're not denying it nor refusing to "fix" it. Each time I get set up with a loaner car. By now I pratically know everyone there, including the lead mechanic!

I don't see going to Corporate now will give me anything more unless they will swap the car out. If not, and if this is unfixable then next time there will be no Acura on my driveway.

Last edited by Kingmeow; 08-09-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have taken my Acuras (3g and 4g) to the dealer and request they fix the rattles. Every time they have. The roof rattle was a 2 shot affair but thanks to my proactive approach of printing the thread I posted above and giving it to the dealer they were able to fix the roof clack/rattle. Which I would like to say was the most annoying noise I have ever heard in a car. It has been fine ever since.

Here is the link again if others need it!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Instructor

The rear deck is absolutely driving me crazy. It's constant when I drive back roads, which is every day to work and back, 60 miles. Going to take it in. Hopefully they will also replace my centercaps - all 4 of them are peeling *sigh*
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure if it will be the same in your state, but the Lemon Law in NY applies if the defect adversely affects the value of the car.

My '09 was replaced with a '10 due to creaks and rattles that the dealership couldn't fix in about 60 days total in the shop. My creaks were caused by broken welds, however, which could also be considered a safety issue.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Same in Ohio

Originally Posted by BigWopHH
I'm not sure if it will be the same in your state, but the Lemon Law in NY applies if the defect adversely affects the value of the car.

My '09 was replaced with a '10 due to creaks and rattles that the dealership couldn't fix in about 60 days total in the shop. My creaks were caused by broken welds, however, which could also be considered a safety issue.
The lemon law is the same in Ohio - it does not have to be necessarily safety issues. If it's a safety issue, then only ONE would be sufficient. But for any other defect, if you have enough of them, and if your car has been in the shop for over 30 days in total during the same year, then it apparently meets the criteria for the lemon law.

So check with your local state regulations before you think that rattles and things will not qualify for the lemon law.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Does the Lemon Law apply to the state where you bought the car or where you have the work done? I bought the car in NJ and live there too but I work in Boston on a weekly basis (long story). So all my service has been in Boston. So which Lemon Law applies, NJ or MA?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Lemon Law applies in the state the car is registered.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a rattle in the front-end thats driving me crazy.i took it to the dealer they didnt here shit...leasein from now on
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Truly is a shame that I keep hearing more and more complaints concerning rattles from various locations in multiple Acura vehicles.. Seems to be a issue with a lot of Honda vehicles as well.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyT6MT
I have taken my Acuras (3g and 4g) to the dealer and request they fix the rattles. Every time they have. The roof rattle was a 2 shot affair but thanks to my proactive approach of printing the thread I posted above and giving it to the dealer they were able to fix the roof clack/rattle. Which I would like to say was the most annoying noise I have ever heard in a car. It has been fine ever since.

Here is the link again if others need it!
Thanks!!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow

That is aggravating to hear, you think that spending $45k on a brand new "luxury" car would solve ocd issues you have, apparently not.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

See my continued thread here, with pictures.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/help-they-want-weld-my-less-than-1-yr-old-car-788384/
Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Instructor

I have an appointment on September 1st with the dealership. Going to give them a chance to fix my rattles so I can get back to enjoying the car
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 PM
7th Gear

Hate rattles like crazy. Had a real bad one that had me stumped for 2 weeks. I mean I looked everywhere there was to look, from doors to center console, to glove box and it was driving me crazy. One sunny day I reached for my sunglasses in the above sunglass holder, and what do you know? The noise went away! the sunglass rims were vibrating inside the overhead draw that in turn made it sound like the vibration was coming from around the dash.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ostrich
Thanks so much for the link - this is very helpful information. I will give my advisor a call in the morning to ask him to look into these possible issues. I really appreciate your help! I hope it works....

Yes, I think that we have all paid too much money to put up with these rattles!!!
My car is spending a week starting tomorrow. I have a rattle in the rear deck to. They said its a bad strut. So they are taking it in replacing the strut, and keeping it for a few days to make sure the rattle is gone. I just noticed that my driver door and roof are making weird flexing noises also.

its driving me Fing nuts.