Possible Service Bulletin for Roof rattle on 2010 SH-AWD with Tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brew0360
Dropping off TL SHAWD today for the third time. Gonna have dealer install dynamat in the roof while they are working on the rattle. Hopefully this might fix the issue by adding weight. Also, the roof is the last part of the car that needs dynamatting (from firewall to trunk). I will keep everyone posted.
Hope that works... I'm still waiting for the call from the district service rep.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

TL Roof Rattle

Well, Davis Acura still has my car since last Friday. They have removed the headliner and reinstalled it 3x. Each time they believe they fixed the rattle. Today they advised they are waiting for Acura to authorize a new sunroof track. That will be attemp #4. If and when they ever fix it I will certainly report it here.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Just got a call from Acura asking if I would answer questions regarding my experience from my last service visit. On a scale from 1 to 10 what would you rate your experience for your last visit. I gave them a 1. The caller asked what comments I would like to add.. so I went down the list... car in the shop multiple times for the same issue, issue isn't resolved, in fact its getting worse, car comes back with stains on the head liner, fingerprints all over the glass, still waiting for a call from the district service manager whose supposed to take a ride to hear the noise, etc etc... So I'm asked if i would fill out an online survey and can they email it to me. Im like sure.. go ahead.. more ways to explain my dissatisfaction. Not 30 minutes later I get a call from my dealer asking about the survey. I'm like hmmmmm that was fast... I'm guessing that if you answer say like 5 or lower they make the dealer give you a call to followup. I wish I could get the noise fixed instead. More to follow when I call the dealer today.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I got my car back on Saturday and they installed a new sunroof track. The rattle seems to be gone but they dented my roof and of course I had to clean my headliner. Returned to dealer yesterday to get dent removed. So far, so good.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

This thread was EXTREMELY HELPFUL! I printed the whole thread out and brought it to my Acura dealer for my cars second visit to get the rook rattle fixed. They used this thread to trouble shoot the rattle and was successful at finally fixing it. I took 3 days but I have had the car back for 3 weeks and no more clack-clack-clack.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Cruisin'

I've been on vacation for the past week since picking up my SH AWD from Davis Acura who did fix the roof rattle. After 7 days they were authorized by Acura to replace the sunroof mechanism assembly. This seems to have remedied the problem as I have logged 250 rattle free miles.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikes_in_PA
I've been on vacation for the past week since picking up my SH AWD from Davis Acura who did fix the roof rattle. After 7 days they were authorized by Acura to replace the sunroof mechanism assembly. This seems to have remedied the problem as I have logged 250 rattle free miles.
I've had my SH AWD back for 2 weeks (500+ miles later) and no longer have the rattle. It's been exteremely hot in the Wash DC area so I think it's a safe bet for me to say that they were finally able to fix it this time.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Instructor

I've had my SH AWD back for 2 weeks (500+ miles later) and no longer have the rattle. It's been exteremely hot in the Wash DC area so I think it's a safe bet for me to say that they were finally able to fix it this time.
awesome... Is the dent gone?

I have been able to pinpoint the sound to the general location and I'm inclined to believe the track may be it. It almost sounds like the moonroof visor track to me but i could be wrong. I am still waiting for my district rep to show up so he can go for a ride. I cant wait. The sound is louder and I wont even have to turn the radio down as it can be heard over the radio now.

glad for ya....
Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCBBUUMM
awesome... Is the dent gone?

I have been able to pinpoint the sound to the general location and I'm inclined to believe the track may be it. It almost sounds like the moonroof visor track to me but i could be wrong. I am still waiting for my district rep to show up so he can go for a ride. I cant wait. The sound is louder and I wont even have to turn the radio down as it can be heard over the radio now.

glad for ya....
Yep. The dent is also gone. Had to clean the headliner myself but didn't mind since the rattle was gone. You are probably right that it is your moonroof track. I would demand that they replace it since this is your third or fourth visit for the rattle. Also, your should buy some type of sound deadening product (Dynamat is my preference) and ask that they install it for you while they have the head. It will make the roof a little more rigid and eventhough I can't prove that it help with the rattle, I know it didn't hurt.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Cruisin'

Rattle Gone

Its been 2 weeks plus since I got my car back. No rattle, no noise, no nothing. They replaced the sunroof track assembly with Acura approval after pinpointing the cause.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here we go again...

So after two months of relatively faint/minor rattling that I can bear....the noise is getting louder and there are a few more new rattles. Now the moonroof makes a hard plastic kind of clicking/popping sounds, and the driver door/trim/speaker has an intermittent rattle too. I called Acura yesterday and a District Rep from California is getting involved. What is going on with some of the newer TLs?

Last edited by 4GTL; 08-24-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Just dropped off the car with the dealer after a ride with the district rep. I was worried that the issue wouldn't present itself as when i pulled out of the garage this morning it was a balmy 59 degrees. No noise the whole ride to dealer. I'm like "Figures" So I turned on the heat in the car to get it up to 75 inside and low and behold the noise comes back. Go for the ride with the rep and we heard it right away. The rep had some paperwork for the dealership to use to assist them in correcting the issue. The rep stated that all Acura dealers have access to a techline where there are technicians and engineers working to resolve issues by testing, simulate, and replicate issues from all over. This issue has been being worked on for some time according to the rep and he says this issue may become public in the near future (maybe a TSB)(he couldn't comment on that). They showed me some papers with images and nice fancy arrows pointing to the issue where metal on metal in the passenger side corner and the back rail of the moonroof has a sorta like seam to it. They try to inject something in the space between the rail and the roof to eliminate the rubbing. Metal on metal would sound right because of the temperature playing a role in the issue, ie when it gets hot the metal expands and the rubbing occurs. One of the suggestions for the techs is to clamp the metal down and drive around to see if it fixes the issue and if it does then seal the seam. They want to keep it till next Wednesday so i should be able to post next week if i get it back.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well guy's it seems my 2010 TL SH-AWD with 5200 miles has the same problem as described here. When I hear the noise I can push up on the glass on the drivers side rear and the noise disappears... I am schedule for this Friday to have them take a look at this problem... I have printed off the whole thread for ammo and hopefully pinpoint the issue and a fix the first time... I know good luck with all that... I can tell you my 2009 TH SH-AWD had 22,000 miles on it when I traded for the 10 and it never had any noise from the sunroof... So go figure... Batting 500... I will let you know my findings after this Friday... By the way, what Acura 800 number did you call to express your concern over this noise... The TLC number?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ferrcad
Well guy's it seems my 2010 TL SH-AWD with 5200 miles has the same problem as described here. When I hear the noise I can push up on the glass on the drivers side rear and the noise disappears... I am schedule for this Friday to have them take a look at this problem... I have printed off the whole thread for ammo and hopefully pinpoint the issue and a fix the first time... I know good luck with all that... I can tell you my 2009 TH SH-AWD had 22,000 miles on it when I traded for the 10 and it never had any noise from the sunroof... So go figure... Batting 500... I will let you know my findings after this Friday... By the way, what Acura 800 number did you call to express your concern over this noise... The TLC number?
I called the Acura Client Services number on MyAcura. You will likely talk to a customer representative first. Once they note your problem, they will assign a District Rep to you and go on from there....hope that helps.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My car is in the dealership today. They called and said it was fixed right away--hoping they got it right. Will know tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigWopHH
My car is in the dealership today. They called and said it was fixed right away--hoping they got it right. Will know tomorrow.
Biggie... If you can find out any information of what they did when you pickup your ride it would be greatly appreciated since my appointment is this Friday... I really do not want to be a science product with my new vehicle... I have already dealt with them when I purchased the vehicle they had grease marks on the windshield pillar from placing the inspection and emissions stickers on the windshield... Can you imagine what it will look like if they need to take the whole headliner down... Not looking forward to this visit... I am expecting the worst already...

Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 AM
Racer

Biggie... If you can find out any information of what they did when you pickup your ride it would be greatly appreciated since my appointment is this Friday... I really do not want to be a science product with my new vehicle... I have already dealt with them when I purchased the vehicle they had grease marks on the windshield pillar from placing the inspection and emissions stickers on the windshield... Can you imagine what it will look like if they need to take the whole headliner down... Not looking forward to this visit... I am expecting the worst already...

If you have the same rattle as I describe at the start of this post, they will definitely take down your headliner and moonroof. You will have to clean your headliner and possibly other areas when they are done. Good luck and I hope they fix it the first time.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Racer

Sounds like I better get on top of my dealership. They called me to reschedule my appoints, specifically because they wanted to wait for the official TSB and instructions. Hope they're not blowing smoke...
I forgot to respond to your post a while ago. Since this rattle issue is only occuring on less that 1% of the AWD, Acura will not issue a TSB for it according the the Corp Rep I met with. They may post a fix on their Acura Tech line for the mechanics but that's about it.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Instructor

I forgot to respond to your post a while ago. Since this rattle issue is only occuring on less that 1% of the AWD, Acura will not issue a TSB for it according the the Corp Rep I met with. They may post a fix on their Acura Tech line for the mechanics but that's about it.
Brew... In the end did they ever pinpoint the exact problem or was it a combination of all the things that they tried?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why did you trade in a '09 with 22k miles for a '10? Just curious.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Why did you trade in a '09 with 22k miles for a '10? Just curious.
Real simple... I lost 22,000 miles... Was able to lower my car payment $40.00 a month going from 3.9% @ 60 to .9% @ 60 months all with a down payment of my current car payment for the month... This way I can pay on it for another year or longer and really I will have not lost anything... Seemed to be a no brainer... If the 2012 MMC comes out or possbily a more powerful SH-AWD (Type-S) or features and it is something that catches my eye then I will be in pretty good shape for another trade... I put on way to many miles a year to justify any type of lease. As you can see from my signature I beat up dealers pretty hard to make sure that I am getting the best bang for my buck.. I was not even looking for a new ride but when my salesman from Pohanka in VA called he got the ball started... Unfortunately they were not willing to go get the color combination I wanted so this time I ended up buying locally from a Pittsburgh dealer who was hesitant but willing to match the deal and get me the car color combination I was looking for not something off the lot... But as this thread states though.. I have encountered the roof noise that my 09 did not have but everyone in this thread is describing... Thanks for asking...

Last edited by ferrcad; 08-31-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Instructor

So, I picked up my car a couple of hours ago and at this point it seems to be fixed. I didn't put enough miles on it to say for certain, but I didn't hear the noise the whole ride home (over 20 miles), whereas before it would do it constantly.

I think I got lucky though, because it didn't appear to be anything seam / weld related. The exact wording from my service recept says...

"1) Installed foam cushion between roof panel and brace near moonroof opening.

2)Found roof support to be too close to roof panel causing rattle while driving. Installed foam between support and panel and braced.

Re-Road tested. No more noise"

One thing I should point out with my car--and you guys should try this--if I tilted my sunroof open, stuck my hand all the way out, and pulled down on the actual roof of the car, I could make the noise stop.

I should also point out that the service guys at my dealership seem to be exceptionally clean. Car was immaculate when I got it back. No fingerprints, and they cleaned the whole car, inside and out.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Thanks Biggie... As I stated in my original post... When I push up on the closed back drivers side corner the noise stops... I did not add that part in the original post regarding pulling down when the roof is open... It also liminated the noise under downward pressure... Once again I will keep you all posted after my visit on Friday to the dealership...

Last edited by ferrcad; 09-01-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Racer

Brew... In the end did they ever pinpoint the exact problem or was it a combination of all the things that they tried?
In my case I think it ended up being the combo. I was one of the first guinea pigs so hopefully Acura has a universal way of fixing it now.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Instructor

"1) Installed foam cushion between roof panel and brace near moonroof opening.
My first visit had this done - foam moved or loosened and noise came back.

2)Found roof support to be too close to roof panel causing rattle while driving. Installed foam between support and panel and braced.
This is the exact issue. Support is too close to the roof. When the car heats up the metal expands and rattles against the roof.

One thing I should point out with my car--and you guys should try this--if I tilted my sunroof open, stuck my hand all the way out, and pulled down on the actual roof of the car, I could make the noise stop.
This is because your putting pressure on the support beam to move the support away from the roof.

My notes in RED above...

So, I just got my car back, they brought it to me, I took it for a ride last night and so far nothing. Maybe they got it this time. I think i need another 80+ degree day outside to check.

So - new issue or maybe not.. - Can someone check your rear overhead lights in the back seat for me? I was inspecting my headliner for dirt and fingerprints and one of the lights was on, so i turned the light off and when i pushed the button in the light assembly flexed against the roof and made a metal flexing sound. I have never turned this light on since i don't sit in the back seat but i want to make sure it shouldn't be flexing with the roof. Its almost like they took some foam out around the light or forgot to put a rubber ring in. It didn't sound right. Id like verification before I call the dealer back.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Instructor

So, I just got my car back, they brought it to me, I took it for a ride last night and so far nothing. Maybe they got it this time. I think i need another 80+ degree day outside to check.

Went for a longer ride last night. This time i brought the family and guess what - itsssss baaaaackk and louder than ever before. Not only is it louder but its more frequent. It takes a lot to piss me off but this is getting out of hand. They know what the issue is, its been in twice for the same issue. The details guys have to be sick of cleaning this car over and over . Talk about keeping miles down on this car, hell i haven't driven it this summer. If i stretch it into winter i can drive a loaner for winter. I think its time to ask the district service manager for his boss. More to come in the RR saga without a TSB.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Went for a longer ride last night. This time i brought the family and guess what - itsssss baaaaackk and louder than ever before. Not only is it louder but its more frequent. It takes a lot to piss me off but this is getting out of hand. They know what the issue is, its been in twice for the same issue. The details guys have to be sick of cleaning this car over and over . Talk about keeping miles down on this car, hell i haven't driven it this summer. If i stretch it into winter i can drive a loaner for winter. I think its time to ask the district service manager for his boss. More to come in the RR saga without a TSB.
I feel your pain. I'm going in again tomorrow for the rattling problem....and this would be the fourth time...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Cruisin'

I think I've read all of your posts and I don't believe I've seen where the Dealer has employed the same fix as on my car. Adding padding and screwing around with contact points is NOT the fix. As soon as they replaced my sunroof track assembly the problem was gone. Thats not to say it might never come back but its been about a month and 2K miles and no rattle.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikes_in_PA
I think I've read all of your posts and I don't believe I've seen where the Dealer has employed the same fix as on my car. Adding padding and screwing around with contact points is NOT the fix. As soon as they replaced my sunroof track assembly the problem was gone. Thats not to say it might never come back but its been about a month and 2K miles and no rattle.
I agree with you. I also had my track assembly replaced and the roof dynamatted. No rattle since.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Instructor

I agree with you. I also had my track assembly replaced and the roof dynamatted. No rattle since.
So far so good for me. I wonder if driving it for 4K+ miles without having it fixed "broke it in" sufficiently that what the dealership did may fix it. If not (it's too early to tell), I'm thinking of dynmatting my roof as well, if they have to go in again and replace the tracks.

Did you notice any difference in the sound of the car?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Racer

So far so good for me. I wonder if driving it for 4K+ miles without having it fixed "broke it in" sufficiently that what the dealership did may fix it. If not (it's too early to tell), I'm thinking of dynmatting my roof as well, if they have to go in again and replace the tracks.

Did you notice any difference in the sound of the car?
My car is dynamatted from the firewall to the trunk when I did my stereo install. There is a huge difference in road noise.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Instructor

So, Trip # 4 to the dealer to drop off the TL again. Wonder when they are going to figure it out. Below is the paperwork. Check it out. Information has been removed to protect identities.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Instructor

CCBBUUMM - Where in NY are you?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting that it noted that Tech Line supplied the repair procedure.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Instructor

CCBBUUMM - Where in NY are you?
BigWopHH - see your IM

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Interesting that it noted that Tech Line supplied the repair procedure.
I saw the paperwork that techline gave the dealership -

What i could see was 4 or 5 pages of pictures with red circles and arrows pointing to the locations of the proposed fix. I did not see any literature accompanying the said fix with a step by step instructions.

Dealer said they are calling techline back to see how to proceed. If this keeps up through the winter, I wont need a winter beater car as I can use the loaner. I will say... I have missed my car for a month out of this summer while its been in the shop.

C
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Another update. Just got ACS involved. It kinda made me wonder when the dealer said they would go back to techline to get the next step on what to do. So i figured lets get corporate to help em out.... more to come as i hear it.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Well after a two week delay the TL went in for the attempted repair... I printed off the whole thread for ammunition... Hope for the best, I will give you an update later today...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Well after three days I finally got the car back and as of now they have fixed the rattle in the sun roof... There was really no information given to me other than they tried the tech line procedure and they said it made the rattle noise even worse... I can tell you that my car interior came back in pretty bad shape... Headliner and interior (seats) had numerous grease marks at several locations... Rear seat bottom was not clipped into place on the drivers side... A couple of seal plates not lock down properly... The front windshield a-pillar is not installed properly... There is about a half of an inch gap down near the front dash... It is so bad that you can see the wiring running in the hole... Roof liner was not fastened properly (velco not locked into place) both sides a behind sunroof... One of the front passengar sill plates had the clip installed upside down so you could not push into the hole to secure the panel... A few scratches in the plastic pieces along with locations were they scratch the paint on the inside of the door wheels when prying the trim pieces up and out.... So my next step is to get the service manager involved and if need be the local Acura representative... I will keep you guys posted... But in the end my biggest fear was confirmed... Interior was pretty torn up...
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Racer

Well after three days I finally got the car back and as of now they have fixed the rattle in the sun roof... There was really no information given to me other than they tried the tech line procedure and they said it made the rattle noise even worse... I can tell you that my car interior came back in pretty bad shape... Headliner and interior (seats) had numerous grease marks at several locations... Rear seat bottom was not clipped into place on the drivers side... A couple of seal plates not lock down properly... The front windshield a-pillar is not installed properly... There is about a half of an inch gap down near the front dash... It is so bad that you can see the wiring running in the hole... Roof liner was not fastened properly (velco not locked into place) both sides a behind sunroof... One of the front passengar sill plates had the clip installed upside down so you could not push into the hole to secure the panel... A few scratches in the plastic pieces along with locations were they scratch the paint on the inside of the door wheels when prying the trim pieces up and out.... So my next step is to get the service manager involved and if need be the local Acura representative... I will keep you guys posted... But in the end my biggest fear was confirmed... Interior was pretty torn up...
Stay on top of them and whatever parts your are unhappy with, request that they replace not repair. Hold your ground and they will accomodate you. The good news is that your rattle is gone. The rest is all cosmetic and can be easily fixed or replaced.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Well I need to add to the excitement on my drive home this evening. My passenger side sun visor just fell out of the headliner and was hanging from the vanity mirror wire. The saga continues. I am just glad it was the passenger side and not the drivers side or I would have probably wrecked my car.

Quick Reply: Possible Service Bulletin for Roof rattle on 2010 SH-AWD with Tech