Possible Service Bulletin for Roof rattle on 2010 SH-AWD with Tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
PMing=Private Messaging
People on Acurazine are so helpful. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After owning my TL for 8 months I finally took it on a road trip. Noticed a rattle, my wife traced it to the roof liner area - she pushed up on the headliner behind the sunroof and the rattle stopped. Released her hand and it came back. Called my Acura dealer, Appleway Acura in Spokane, Washington. The service manager knew right away what I was experiencing. Brought it in this week for the fix, they kept the car overnight. Fixed the sunroof rattle and while they were driving it they noticed a B pillar rattle that they also fixed. I had not noticed it, guess my ears must be shot. The service dealer claimed that they were involved in one of the earliest fixes for the roof line rattle and that Acura got information from them as to how they fixed it. Told of a funny story of driving a TL down the highway with the headliner out, a tech in the backseat tightening and loosening bolts until they hit upon the magic bolt that had been overtightened.

Excellent service regardless. Now the car is absolutely rattle free and solid.

Dave
Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Thank You!! I got my SH-AWD Tech 4 weeks ago and yes I heard this same noise. At first my wife said she did not hear it but her and the kids do hear it now. I brought it into the dealer and they called to tell me that they found the problem. they had to remove the headliner and they ordered some parts. SPO Number:10176022Part Number:91561TA0A11 Description:CLIP, RR.and SPO Number:10176023Part Number:91560SLJJ01 Description:CLIP, DOOR LINING
If not for this forum I would have gone wild when they called to tell me they just removed the headliner of my new car. I'm glad you guys gave me a heads up and I hope this ends the noise.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Badabng
Thank You!! I got my SH-AWD Tech 4 weeks ago and yes I heard this same noise. At first my wife said she did not hear it but her and the kids do hear it now. I brought it into the dealer and they called to tell me that they found the problem. they had to remove the headliner and they ordered some parts. SPO Number:10176022Part Number:91561TA0A11 Description:CLIP, RR.and SPO Number:10176023Part Number:91560SLJJ01 Description:CLIP, DOOR LINING
If not for this forum I would have gone wild when they called to tell me they just removed the headliner of my new car. I'm glad you guys gave me a heads up and I hope this ends the noise.
The parts they ordered don't seem to be for the area where my rattle was located (sunroof area, left B-Pillar) but I hope that your rattle is gone after they reassemble your SH-AWD.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Intermediate

I hope they fix it too. But had i not read this thread, I would have gone ballistic when they told me they took my headliner down.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

The dealer returned my call today and said that they had the noise fixed and then when they put the headliner back the noise came back. again they ordered SPO Number:10179002Part Number:91561TA0A11 Description:CLIP, RR.
I sent a copy of the original message to my service adviser but he shrugged it off. I hope they get this fixed soon. Meantime I have been putting lots of mileage on this loaner over 600 the past 4 days
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Racer

The dealer returned my call today and said that they had the noise fixed and then when they put the headliner back the noise came back. again they ordered SPO Number:10179002Part Number:91561TA0A11 Description:CLIP, RR.
I sent a copy of the original message to my service adviser but he shrugged it off. I hope they get this fixed soon. Meantime I have been putting lots of mileage on this loaner over 600 the past 4 days
Which message are you referring to? Is it the one stating whether the location of the rattle may be different?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Just dropped off my 2009 non-tech awd for this same issue. I had the technician go for a ride with me to hear the same noise I was hearing. The loaner i got was a 2009 tech non awd and doesn't rattle. I don't like the non awd version. The ride is totally different and doesn't have the sporty feel that I am used to. I also dont like the controls for the radio. The changing of the USB Folder seems different as well. It might be a setup issue and a lack of how to use the tech controls on my part. I did like the back up cam and that is pretty accurate. The HDD feature was cool too but with a 16 GB jump drive with all my music on the usb stick i don't miss it. I have an aftermarket sub and amp in my car that blows the stock tech package but i will give it kudos for what it did produce. Just got the call from the dealer saying that after 6 hours they are still investigating the issue and to keep the loaner over night. We will see. Im glad I have this post to refer to help suggest the area for the dealer to look.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had scheduled an appointment to drop by car off on July 5. But today I got a call from the dealership asking me to hold off. They said Acura WILL be posting and official TSB on this issue, and they don't want to attempt a repair until they have the steps as outlined by Acura Corporate.

Hopefully they weren't blowing smoke up my a$$, and there will be a clear-cut procedure to help everyone out here.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

I will be picking up my car in the morning. Here is the email acura sent me:
REMOVED THE HEADLINER AND FOUND THAT THE BOLTS FOR THE ROOF FRAME TO BE A LITTLE LOOSE TIGHTENED BOLTS THEN TEST DROVE VEHICLE. ALSO FOUND THAT THE PALSTIC ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE SIDE CURTAIN AIR BAG WAS HITTING THE METAL CAUSING A RATTLE ASWELL REINSTALLED THE HEALINER AND TEST DROVE NOISES ARE GO
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Just got a call from the dealer.. They think a weld in the roof/sunroof area has broke loose. They need to schedule an appointment with the collision shop to repair the weld. Sounds structural to me... Won't know till i stop up to see what the paperwork says. The service manager mentioned that they think they have seen this before. More to come.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CCBBUUMM
Just got a call from the dealer.. They think a weld in the roof/sunroof area has broke loose. They need to schedule an appointment with the collision shop to repair the weld. Sounds structural to me... Won't know till i stop up to see what the paperwork says. The service manager mentioned that they think they have seen this before. More to come.
Be careful. My rattle was not fixed by taking it to a collision shop. Maybe we don't have the same issue but make sure that your 4G is returned to you the same way it was when you dropped it off.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Good luck.

Btw, what happened to your 09 IS?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn! A weld broke off????!!!! Wow! Keep us posted!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Uh Oh. Sounds something like what happened with my first '09 TL, which was replaced.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Ok, now im beginning to wonder. Their story has changed a bit. They called me to have me come get my car back and drop of the loaner. When i got there I asked the service mgr and they said that its a weld in the cross brace that helps support the sunroof. So im like, is it safe to drive? Are their structural issues. The mgr then brings in the tech whom went for a ride with me to hear the actual rattle. He went on to expain that its NOT a weld but metal on metal rubbing when you hit a bump. He said they need to take out the headliner and a bunch of other interior pieces and take it over to a collision shop to have them pack material in area of the rattle to fix the issue. I asked what type of material. he said he didn't know. I was surprised that the dealership couldn't do the packing of material. They did say they needed the car for 2 days and wanted to schedule for another loaner after the holiday. The collision shop is backed up and we needed to get on their schedule. So the saga continues. Note- the noise is gone, or was gone, lasted the whole way home noise free until I hit the 2nd last turn before pulling in my driveway.

Brew - I agree, we may have a different issue. I inspected the headliner. It didn't even look like it was removed. Glad to hear your all fixed up.

BigWopHH - Your issue sounds like what they were explaining to me yesterday.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

"..NOT a weld but metal on metal rubbing when you hit a bump.."

Sounds like my problem but in the rear passenger side. Seam rub. They "fixed" it 3x now, each time it is resolved until a few weeks after the fix, the noise/clicking/rattle/rubbing comes back. It's going back in again next month for the 4th time. They have reduced it greatly but not eliminated it. Maybe I should just give up and live with it.

I asked them what they usually do for seam rub. They said they have a dimpling tool which grabs the two pieces of metal where the seam meets and put a dimple in. They do this a few places in between spot welds. The idea is to prevent the two pieces of metal from sliding. Putting in dimples become sort of a "lock" to make them slide less or eliminate it.

The last time I was there they even put a shim in between so the two pieces can slide silently since they don't seem to be having success in stopping the rub.

I know this is not really your direct issue but the seam rubbing kind of sparked my interest and experience at the dealer.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

"Note- the noise is gone, or was gone, lasted the whole way home noise free until I hit the 2nd last turn before pulling in my driveway."

Ugh!!!! My experience too. Eventually it comes back.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 AM
6th Gear

Post relieve the stress points.

On the Acura tech note by relieving the stress points means adding bondo for added sound insulation.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
Btw, what happened to your 09 IS?

The IS 250 had severe vibration in the headliner / rear view mirror when the sunroof was open, that we traded it in. Now we have a 2010 Mustang GT Convertible. With the summer we have had it makes it nice that were able to use it.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
The IS 250 had severe vibration in the headliner / rear view mirror when the sunroof was open, that we traded it in. Now we have a 2010 Mustang GT Convertible. With the summer we have had it makes it nice that were able to use it.
Verging off topic: I had a unresolved vibration/clicking on the driver's side door/air vents on my 09 IS 250 AWD (in addition to the crappy nav, and the most uncomfortable and painful seating positions ever). So I traded the IS for the TL; I find the 4G TL superior to the IS in nearly all aspects. How do you like your Mustang?

Back on topic: Keep us updated on your roof. My TL suffers from a "creaking noise" near the driver's side door (and poss sunroof as well) when I go up on steep inclines, esp my driveway; I took it to the dealership and the service tech applied a gel where are the rubber lines the doors and sunroof. It's been better, but I can still hear a creaking noise near the driver's door when I go up my driveway (and some inclines).
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Racer

Ok, now im beginning to wonder. Their story has changed a bit. They called me to have me come get my car back and drop of the loaner. When i got there I asked the service mgr and they said that its a weld in the cross brace that helps support the sunroof. So im like, is it safe to drive? Are their structural issues. The mgr then brings in the tech whom went for a ride with me to hear the actual rattle. He went on to expain that its NOT a weld but metal on metal rubbing when you hit a bump. He said they need to take out the headliner and a bunch of other interior pieces and take it over to a collision shop to have them pack material in area of the rattle to fix the issue. I asked what type of material. he said he didn't know. I was surprised that the dealership couldn't do the packing of material. They did say they needed the car for 2 days and wanted to schedule for another loaner after the holiday. The collision shop is backed up and we needed to get on their schedule. So the saga continues. Note- the noise is gone, or was gone, lasted the whole way home noise free until I hit the 2nd last turn before pulling in my driveway.

Brew - I agree, we may have a different issue. I inspected the headliner. It didn't even look like it was removed. Glad to hear your all fixed up.

BigWopHH - Your issue sounds like what they were explaining to me yesterday.
I guess I spoke to soon. With the hot weather in the DC area the last couple of weeks, the rattle has returned but is not as loud and is very sporatic. I called Acura Corp. because I wanted to inform them and see if they knew more about the issue than my local dealer. Got a call from a case manager at Acura Corp. yesterday and they turned my inquiry about the ratttle into a complaint by me on my dealer. Trying to resolve my relationship with the dealer and get this rattle fixed once and for all.

What you are describing as the fix to your rattle sounds like what was done to me car. Acura needs to come out with a service bulletin on this. May I suggest that everyone who is experiencing this rattle contact Acura Corp (don't mention you dealer) and inform them of you issue. Supposely, all of the call to Acura are recorded and documented. Thay way they will know that the roof rattle issue is not isolated.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
Verging off topic: I had a unresolved vibration/clicking on the driver's side door/air vents on my 09 IS 250 AWD (in addition to the crappy nav, and the most uncomfortable and painful seating positions ever). So I traded the IS for the TL; I find the 4G TL superior to the IS in nearly all aspects. How do you like your Mustang?
Off topic - Mustang is the wifes car. She loves it. I get to take it out once in a while and its usually after I doll it up. It turns heads. Plenty of power. I like the sports suspension in my TL better than the handling in the mustang. For go fast straight-aways the mustang has me but the turns I overtake the mustang. Other than that its been pretty solid so far.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Well I have had the car back 5 days and the dealer did fix the problem. No more noise!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Well I have had the car back 5 days and the dealer did fix the problem. No more noise!

Glad to hear it. How is the heat in your area? I'm wondering if heat and expansion of said parts plays into the issue?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Racer

Maybe 4GTL would like to comment on his current fix at the dealer. I know he got the work done because he went to the dealer, and against my wishes (and my advisors), told them who I was. Now my relationship with my advisor and dealership is shot to hell.

4GTL, care to share the status of your rattle?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Just got the call. The car is done. Can't wait to see the paperwork tomorrow when I pick up the car. More to follow.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Just got the call. The car is done. Can't wait to see the paperwork tomorrow when I pick up the car. More to follow.
Did the dealership just wing it, or were they following instructions from the upcoming TSB?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BigWopHH
Did the dealership just wing it, or were they following instructions from the upcoming TSB?
Met with the District Rep, Service Mgr and Tech Mgr yesterday for 2 hours and right now no TSB is slated to come out related to the roof/substructure rattle. They said that most dealers are fixing it based on some instructional material released by Acura, but a blown out TSB for a rattle would not happen.

I'm interested in the fix also, since my rattle (as faint as it is) has returned.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Just got the car back.. Went to the dealer to get it and it wasn't ready. The said the headliner needed cleaning. So I drove home with the loaner and they were going to drop off the car. No paperwork. just fingerprints all over the headliner and spots all over the car from a wash with no dry. Car wash later and the out side is clean and 15 minutes to clean the headliner to get the rest of the fingerprints. Went for a ride. Noise is gone. Will continue to monitor for a week and post back if the fix worked. Not sure what they did as of now. I will ask when they call me later for their post op questions.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brew0360
Met with the District Rep, Service Mgr and Tech Mgr yesterday for 2 hours and right now no TSB is slated to come out related to the roof/substructure rattle. They said that most dealers are fixing it based on some instructional material released by Acura, but a blown out TSB for a rattle would not happen.

I'm interested in the fix also, since my rattle (as faint as it is) has returned.
Sounds like I better get on top of my dealership. They called me to reschedule my appoints, specifically because they wanted to wait for the official TSB and instructions. Hope they're not blowing smoke...
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe 4GTL would like to comment on his current fix at the dealer. I know he got the work done because he went to the dealer, and against my wishes (and my advisors), told them who I was. Now my relationship with my advisor and dealership is shot to hell.

4GTL, care to share the status of your rattle?
Been away on travel since I got the car back a few weeks ago.

Brew, as I mentioned to you before, I did not mention to the dealer who you were. I simply stated I read online that another TL owner from VA got his car serviced at the same dealership and that the problem was fixed. I didn't even mention your screen name or that I read about the rattling issue on the Acurazine forum. It was by simple coincidence that you and I have the service advisor and he knew who you were. Even though I have not worked with this advisor for as long as you have, I have been working with the same advisor for other services before I had the rattling problem. Also, from your earlier posting, it appears that the case manager from Acura Corp. ruined your relationship with the dealer by elevating your rattling issue/inquiry into to a complaint on the dealership.

For the rattle itself, the rattle isn't completely gone. I heard it a few more times since the car was fixed. It's definitely less pronouced, but it's still there on occasion. From my service ticket, my clicking noise was coming from the left rear area of the moonroof assembly. The noise was coming from spot welds between moon roof rail assembly and roof bracket assembly. The spot welds were "massaged and lubricated" and the noise went away.

Last edited by 4GTL; 07-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

I just have to add that they put an indentation in the center of my headliner by accident. When i showed my service tech, he ordered and installed a new headliner. All is well now. Duval Acura did a good job.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 4GTL
Been away on travel since I got the car back a few weeks ago.

Brew, as I mentioned to you before, I did not mention to the dealer who you were. I simply stated I read online that another TL owner from VA got his car serviced at the same dealership and that the problem was fixed. I didn't even mention your screen name or that I read about the rattling issue on the Acurazine forum. It was by simple coincidence that you and I have the service advisor and he knew who you were. Even though I have not worked with this advisor for as long as you have, I have been working with the same advisor for other services before I had the rattling problem. Also, from your earlier posting, it appears that the case manager from Acura Corp. ruined your relationship with the dealer by elevating your rattling issue/inquiry into to a complaint on the dealership.

For the rattle itself, the rattle isn't completely gone. I heard it a few more times since the car was fixed. It's definitely less pronouced, but it's still there on occasion. From my service ticket, my clicking noise was coming from the left rear area of the moonroof assembly. The noise was coming from spot welds between moon roof rail assembly and roof bracket assembly. The spot welds were "massaged and lubricated" and the noise went away.
What's done is done. The advisor was pissed before Acura Corp. got involved. He would not have known who I was if you did not answer his inquiries about whether I had an aftermarket system in the car. As for Acura Corp. I have met with them and gotten the complaint issue resolved. Car will be worked on again.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 AM
Instructor

I am experiencing the same issue again since getting the car back from the dealer. The noise is back but about half as loud and half as frequent. I'm contemplating giving the car back to the dealer because it comes back to me dirty with finger prints all over the interior headliner and pillar post. I'm thinking I'm going to just live with it for now because I'm sick of the loaner cars.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Racer

I am experiencing the same issue again since getting the car back from the dealer. The noise is back but about half as loud and half as frequent. I'm contemplating giving the car back to the dealer because it comes back to me dirty with finger prints all over the interior headliner and pillar post. I'm thinking I'm going to just live with it for now because I'm sick of the loaner cars.
IMO, you paid too much for your 4G to live with the rattle. Have them fix it afain and tell them to clean or replace the headliner and pillar post. I'm not going the let them off the hook. Acura knows that this is a problem and we need to stay on top of them.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Instructor

IMO, you paid too much for your 4G to live with the rattle. Have them fix it afain and tell them to clean or replace the headliner and pillar post. I'm not going the let them off the hook. Acura knows that this is a problem and we need to stay on top of them.

I finally got fed up with it again and called the service mgr at the dealership... Explained the issue, said that its better but still rattles. Now they want me to take ride with the district manager who only comes to town every couple weeks. Waiting for a call when he is due to arrive and then we will see what he has to say. More to come...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM
TL Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same noise just really faint. I spoke with my service adviser and we are scheduling a time to fix it. I asked the SA if dealers regularly communicated on problems like this? She said no, so I told her about the AZ site and how it may save time with some problems that are occurring across the country on TL's that do not have service bulletins issued. Not sure if she will take the advice. In the end it could save them time and money, why not learn from other dealers experiences...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Another one bites the dust

I delivered my 2010 TL SHAWD to Davis Acura in Langhorne, PA on Friday with a print out of the salient details of this thread and a link as well. I told the service writer to have the tech read this before trying to troubleshoot. I was contacted late Friday and advised that 1. They did her the noise (thank god) 2. they wanted to keep the car until next week 3. the have oped a case with Acura to investigate this issue. I told them to keep the car until its repaired and until then i will have the benefit of a free loaner 2010 TSX. I will report on the resolution as soon as I get the car back. Thanks to all the thread contributors for your insight and help.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Racer

Dropping off TL SHAWD today for the third time. Gonna have dealer install dynamat in the roof while they are working on the rattle. Hopefully this might fix the issue by adding weight. Also, the roof is the last part of the car that needs dynamatting (from firewall to trunk). I will keep everyone posted.

Quick Reply: Possible Service Bulletin for Roof rattle on 2010 SH-AWD with Tech