Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by aphmd
From the Mobil 1 website:

Question:

Define Minimal Oil ConsumptionI always hear that 1 quart in 1,000 miles is normal oil consumption based on industry standards but I can't find any "published industry standard.” Can you clarify what is minimal oil consumption?

Answer:

Oil consumption is very specific to vehicle manufacturer, engine size and design. Even within a specific engine model, normal oil consumption can vary quite broadly based on how the engine was initially built, how it was broken in, and even the lubricant viscosity being used.
--------------

The truth is that the 2009 3.7 TL was Honda's first car to incorporate a new design for VTECH: beginning with the J37A4 3.7L SOHC V6, SOHC VTEC was used with both intake and exhaust valves. Previously, SOHC engines benefitted from the VTEC mechanism only on the intake valves.

Maybe Acura's new VTECH design was a dud regarding oil consumption.
Well for one its VTEC not VTECH. And 2ndly anyone who knows how vtec operates, knows its not something that is going to cause a motor to consume more oil.
The following users liked this post:
lji (02-04-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished fighting with Acura of Peabody in MA this week. Got no where. I'm consuming about 1/3-1/4 a quart per 1k. The low Oil light actually came on. I brought it in and they said they had to mark the dip stick and have me come back after 1k.. Came in after 2k because of the holidays and they gave me crap about it. I was like.. "Won't you get a better average on 2k than 1k? Just divide the oil loss by 2." Then I get the 1qt loss per 1k miles bullshit response. So I ask "How many quarts does the oil tank hold?" I know oil changes are done around 6k and the tank holds less than 6 quarts so it's appalling they would even say this. I basically got no where with them. If it's less than 1qt per 1k they don't care. I said "So If it's okay to consume 1/3-1/4 quart per 1k miles, can I just ignore the Oil warning light?". "Oh no sir, you can't ignore that light". "Well your telling me two different things then"... just went in circles and got no where. It's a complete joke. I don't know what to do.

Last edited by Knertified; 02-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knertified
Just finished fighting with Acura of Peabody in MA this week. Got no where. I'm consuming about 1/3-1/4 a quart per 1k. The low Oil light actually came on. I brought it in and they said they had to mark the dip stick and have me come back after 1k.. Came in after 2k because of the holidays and they gave me crap about it. I was like.. "Won't you get a better average on 2k than 1k? Just divide the oil loss by 2." Then I get the 1qt loss per 1k miles bullshit response. So I ask "How many quarts does the oil tank hold?" I know oil changes are done around 6k and the tank holds less than 6 quarts so it's appalling they would even say this. I basically got no where with them. If it's less than 1qt per 1k they don't care. I said "So If it's okay to consume 1/3-1/4 quart per 1k miles, can I just ignore the Oil warning light?". "Oh no sir, you can't ignore that light". "Well your telling me two different things then"... just went in circles and got no where. It's a complete joke. I don't know what to do.
The dealer pulled the same crap with me. They told me to come back after 1,000 miles after they apparently filled the oil to the top level on the dipstick. It was exactly at the top level after 1,000 K. The problem is, that I never bothered to confirm the oil level when they first topped it off (stupid me), so they obviously went over the top line when they filled it.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well for one its VTEC not VTECH. And 2ndly anyone who knows how vtec operates, knows its not something that is going to cause a motor to consume more oil.
First of all, I spelled it "VTEC", except for my last sentence. Whoopy-doo. I know exactly how VTEC operates. Are you now going to tell us that turbo engines don't consume oil either?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Hi all,

I just bought a 2012 TL SH with only 8,000kms on it. It was a demo.
I took it home and poked around the hood and noticed my oil was super low. Like, barely registering on the dip stick. I immediately called the dealer at Acura, and took it in for its initial service. He said it was normal...??
So yesterday, I noticed my level was down again, about 1/4" down on the dipstick. I've There's no way a car this new, Acura or whatever, should be burning oil??!
I spoke the service guy at Acura Langley and he proceeded to tell me how "every car burns oil no matter what it is. blah blah, to be honest, they all burn oil, to be honest thats normal, to be honest don't bring it back unless its completely low".

Now, I'm not a certified mechanic, but I've worked on old cars and rebuilt motors with my old man since I was a kid. Oil burn is not normal on any tightly built engine?? As motors age, your rings wear out, your valves seals etc and youl get oil consumption.
But a new car? an Acura? Are you serious?

I've been put on a "oil consumption test" by the guys at Langley Acura. At first, the one guy said bring it in at 500kms, then later on if you see the level go down.

What a mess....
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Should have done more research before buying the demo SH-AWD TL.

This oil consumption thread was created back in 2010.

Also, it is widely expected that most demo vehicles have gone through much abuses, in order to demo their capabilities.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

I am the orignal owner of a 2009 SH-AWD Tech with 67000 miles on it. During my last oil change I mentioned the oil being low when I gets to 15% oil life. He told me to bring it in at 1500 miles and they would start the oil consumption test. I droped the car off Monday night and received a call on Wednesday saying that they are going to scope the engine and get back to me by today. My service writter is out today so I will post an update on Monday about what is going on. I hope I don't get the same run around as everyone else. Oh I also have the Acura Care 8 yrear 120K mile as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by php007
I am the orignal owner of a 2009 SH-AWD Tech with 67000 miles on it. During my last oil change I mentioned the oil being low when I gets to 15% oil life. He told me to bring it in at 1500 miles and they would start the oil consumption test. I droped the car off Monday night and received a call on Wednesday saying that they are going to scope the engine and get back to me by today. My service writter is out today so I will post an update on Monday about what is going on. I hope I don't get the same run around as everyone else. Oh I also have the Acura Care 8 yrear 120K mile as well.
Interesting your dealer said 1500 miles. The "official Acura" response is 1000 miles.

At least your dealership is going to check out the engine. Most have been given the "it's normal response."

Keep us updated.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Actualy he said 1000 to 1500 but it was around 1300 when I took it in last Monday. They told me over the weekend that they scoped it and noticed some thing with the rings. They are going to pull the heads off and take a closer look at the rings and pistons then report back to Acura/Honda. I asked him to email the pictures from the scope but he said that the scope sends them directly to Acura/Honda and would ask the tech to tey to print them if possible. Will post more as I am informed.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear

I'm using mobil 1 synthetic oil and MID shows it is now 80%. I'm close to 800 miles since the change.

At this rate, I'm going to have to change oil at 4k miles. Is that common/usual?
Synthetic says change is typically around 5k+.
I drive about 28 miles hwy daily with the top mph at +/-80 at times.

I'd like some feedback with regards to the suspect.. thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chvrlie
I'm using mobil 1 synthetic oil and MID shows it is now 80%. I'm close to 800 miles since the change.

At this rate, I'm going to have to change oil at 4k miles. Is that common/usual?
Synthetic says change is typically around 5k+.
I drive about 28 miles hwy daily with the top mph at +/-80 at times.

I'd like some feedback with regards to the suspect.. thanks!
The easiest advice is to just follow the MID. It's not based entirely on mileage; it's also how you drive, etc.

M1 is so dirt cheap I don't know why you'd care changing it at 4k if MID calls for it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

I just got a call from my service rep, he told me that the factory is sending a new short block to replace mine. The factory techs looked at the pics of the discolored rings and made the call to replace it. I won't know what the pistons will look like since they want my short block back to investagate.
They are going to use the same heads and replace the spark plugs. I just need to pay for the timing belt which is $70. Hope to have it back some time late next week. Sorry but I don't have anymore details. I had 68558 miles on it when I took it in.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

I don't know if this has anything to do with me having the AcuraCare 8/120 on the car. How many of you that had the Oil comsumption test have AcureCare?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

I just got a call from my service rep, he told me that the factory is sending a new short block to replace mine. The factory techs looked at the pics of the discolored rings and made the call to replace it. I won't know what the pistons will look like since they want my short block back to investagate.
They are going to use the same heads and replace the spark plugs. I just need to pay for the timing belt which is $70. Hope to have it back some time late next week. Sorry but I don't have anymore details. I had 68558 miles on it when I took it in.
That's great news! I wonder if they chose to take your block because they wanted to make the determination whether the Nikasil coated cylinder walls are the culprit for the oil consumption. Perhaps there is too much clearance between the rings and the cylinder walls.

Has anyone with serious oil burning issues had a compression test or leak down test?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ABDomega
The easiest advice is to just follow the MID. It's not based entirely on mileage; it's also how you drive, etc.

M1 is so dirt cheap I don't know why you'd care changing it at 4k if MID calls for it.

What he said. If price is a concern, and you do not plan to keep the car 10years or 200K just put regular oil in the car. Why keep the engine nice and tight for someone else if you gonna trade in 5 years or so.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Class action suit

If it's about Honda, it's about Acura...

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...sumption.shtml
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The "bulletin" mentioned above is no secret. It is Honda/Acura's standard position, well-known, on when it considers oil usage to be a problem requiring remediation. It is consistent with other manufacturers' position. We may not like it, but that's what it is. If your car is using a quart every thousand miles, in my opinion, you have a real problem that requires immediate attention. I haven't read on AZ or heard of any TL's consuming oil at anything close to that rate. The 3.7 motors, especially it seems, with MT, may use about a quart every 3-4000 miles, but not all do this.
That actually isn't Acura's official stance. My car burns over 1 quart in 800 miles as tested during an oil consumption check by my local dealership and Acura considers it to be normal. I found out my car also smokes when I accelerate hard and will be taking it in to get looked at soon so hopefully something will finally be fixed. I am not hopeful though and think I will have to pursue this in court.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM
9th Gear

Do you know how much oil you burnt in the 1300 miles?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had an s2000 that burned oil when using Mobil 1. Using any other brand and it didn't. Other s2000 owners also had similar experiences.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
When does the oil warning message come on? Is it for every two quarts it's low?

Right now my 09 just passed 110,000 miles (problem free) and since around 90,000 it's starting to consume more oil. Before adding a quart between oil changes (5000 miles or 20%) was enough but now I add 2-3.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jangkai
When does the oil warning message come on? Is it for every two quarts it's low?

Right now my 09 just passed 110,000 miles (problem free) and since around 90,000 it's starting to consume more oil. Before adding a quart between oil changes (5000 miles or 20%) was enough but now I add 2-3.

It turns on when it is unable to pick up oil from the pan. For instance if you take corners very fast it will pop on during a hard corner and go away when you straighten out and oil reaches the tube.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Originally Posted by hyperpm
I had an s2000 that burned oil when using Mobil 1. Using any other brand and it didn't. Other s2000 owners also had similar experiences.
What was the grade? Some grades of M1 tend to shear (higher grades 5w30, 10w30). 5w20 tends not to shear as much if only negligibly.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
First of all, I spelled it "VTEC", except for my last sentence. Whoopy-doo. I know exactly how VTEC operates. Are you now going to tell us that turbo engines don't consume oil either?
Well then if you did, then you wouldnt have said

Maybe Acura's new VTECH design was a dud regarding oil consumption.
And, no a normal operating turbo engine shouldnt consume any more oil than a na engine.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by slippy
That actually isn't Acura's official stance. My car burns over 1 quart in 800 miles as tested during an oil consumption check by my local dealership and Acura considers it to be normal. I found out my car also smokes when I accelerate hard and will be taking it in to get looked at soon so hopefully something will finally be fixed. I am not hopeful though and think I will have to pursue this in court.

Whoever told you that is dead wrong. Acura (and Honda) consider it a problem requiring further diagnosis when the car uses more than a quart in 1000 miles. Whoever told you otherwise is blowing smoke up your (you know what).
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 AM
9th Gear

Whoever told you that is dead wrong. Acura (and Honda) consider it a problem requiring further diagnosis when the car uses more than a quart in 1000 miles. Whoever told you otherwise is blowing smoke up your (you know what).

I know it is a problem, the problem is getting Acura to admit it. I was also told that by my Acura CSR rep after she was told that by Acura engineers. She stated the 1 quart per thousand miles is not correct and dealerships should not be saying that. I tried to ask her was is the threshold that Acura engineers considered to be abnormal and she would not answer me or try to find out.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Couple points.
The 3.5L and the 3.7 L have different cylinders.
Are these oil consumption issues related to the awd cars (3.7L)?
The oil level reading on the dipstick can be drastically affected by whether the car is on level ground or on a "hill" up or down. Even a slight slope will make a difference.
Also, the reading will be very different depending on how hot or cold the engine is. This is also true for the ATF reading.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM
9th Gear

I think everyone's has been talking about the 3.7
Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I have added about 1/2 litre of 5W30 oil(same brand as 5W20 in the crankcase now) to top up after noticing oil loss since last oil change. It seems to consume less oil after I've checked after 1000km or so. I wonder if it's in my head or a slightly more viscous oil makes a bit of difference. Since 0.5L is very little to mix with 4L of oil, I am not going to worry about change in total viscosity number.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Advanced

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...onsumption.pdf

# 31?
Old 06-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, we just purchased a 11TL, 3.5, with 21k on the clock. My wife is a fanatic about oil changes (on her 08 Civic that she traded in she had the oil changed between 40%-50%). Well this TL had 50% and she wanted it changed and moved to full synthetic. I changed the oil Friday night (and K&N filter). So now after reading this thread I will differently chime in after 1k on the clock. I'm very interested in the outcome.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

See post 187.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Guys,

An update regarding my situation. You guys may remember my long battle which started back in October 2013 when i noticed consumption of oil. Anyways...after my battle with Acura Relations & my dealer, the car is finnally at the shop as we speak to get either a new block or whatever they determine needs to be replaced. My oil life was at 60% when i took it in. I pulled the dip stick before taking it in, and it was bone dry. Not a drop of oil showing on the Dip Stick. So it must have been very low. I droped it off on Monday, haven't heard an update yet as to what the fix will be. Currently have 74,000km on it. Discovered the problem at about 64,000km. I'll keep you posted. Also, just something worth noting, they gave me a 2014 TL A-SPEC SH-AWD as a loaner. Only has 3600km on the clock. Just for kicks, i pulled the dip stick and the oil is only half full. It is at 70% oil life left. So.....obviously....problem still isn't fixed on the 2014's.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Of course Honda won't fix anything for this 3.7L-V6 oil consumption problem, because if Honda doesn't admit that this problem exists in the first place, nothing will be done about it.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Leaving Oil In Too Long!

I think folks are relying to much on these computers telling them how much life the oil has left and it is completely bogus. If you look at your owners manual do you believe that you should go 8-10kms (Canadian) between oil changes, no of course not I change my oil every 3-4 months regardless of the kms (miles). If you use synthetic which I don't I wouldn't go over six months max. So, I would recommend folks just go by time like it used to be and not some computer telling you because guess what Honda and other manufacturers just want your car to last till the warranty expires so you trade in your vehicle or have a nice hefty repair bill. I change the oil on my cars and it is never below the full line and it is always so clear after I change it I have a hard time seeing the level that's how clean the motors are. Oil changes are one of the cheapest things to get done to your cars it costs me twenty dollars to do an oil change. All it takes is one time to leave the oil in too long for it too begin burning oil and then you can't go back so I truly believe people are neglecting there oil changes. Oh and another thing my cars are under extreme weather and driving conditions driven mostly city for 2-3kms trips constantly.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:23 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

After burning 1.5 quarts on my first oil change I requested an oil consumption test. The dealer checked the oil today after 1000 miles and they claim it is at the same spot as when they filled it (how they can check it after it rests 5 minutes I have no idea). I asked them if I need to come back every 1000 miles thereafter and they said no, just the first 1000 miles. Does that jive with everyone's experiences?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
So I change my oil every 3-4k miles or every 5-6 months. I am using conventional mobil 0w-20, that's what my local Honda has been putting in and it is only $20 for a change (cheap!!). Last time I checked the dip stick (2k mile since last oil change), it showed full. I have been noticing that the level drops a bit after 4k miles or 5 months between change. So yeah, I woould say change oil more frequently than what MID tells you. Oil does break down after time and oil change is pretty cheap! Yes, you can use some high end synthetic oil and go for longer intervals but I would rather change it more often and use just decent conventional oil.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I am letting all family and friends know about honda's official position of 1qt consumed per 1,000 miles is considered "normal". As a long time honda/acura customer, I will be purchasing a different make, probably Lexus.

This is complete BS by a car Company that was once the best. Sad to see
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^^ I hate to bear bad news, but nearly all manufacturers these days have this same position.

A good friend's 2-year old Lexus ES350 has been in the shop for weeks with a broken valve spring(!!!). Maybe it's true that they don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure the oil life indication on the mid - say 70% or whatever - has no connection to the oil level in the crankcase. You need to check your oil at the same temp and on level ground each time to get a good comparison. The mid is not telling you anything about the quantity of oil, it's just estimating its quality.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
^^^ I hate to bear bad news, but nearly all manufacturers these days have this same position.

A good friend's 2-year old Lexus ES350 has been in the shop for weeks with a broken valve spring(!!!). Maybe it's true that they don't make 'em like they used to.
Agreed. My friend's Porsche Cayenne Turbo consumes about 1Q oil every thousand miles or so. It's out of warranty so he always keeps a quart of oil in the trunk.

I suspect b/c Porsche is a relatively low volume seller it doesn't get the sheer number of complains compared to Honda. Acura owners with said problem need to complain more... The more complaints the better for consumers.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption