Navigation Unit Issue in 2012 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation Unit Issue in 2012 TL

I've seen some posts similar to the type of issue I've been having, but no exact matches. The car in question is a 2012 TL with Technology Package. Starting this week, my navigation unit starts up and shows the "Acura Satellite Navigation with Hand Free Link" boot up splash screen, and then instead of going to the confirmation/disclaimer page, it goes black for a few seconds and returns to that same boot up screen. It does this over and over the entire time I am driving, never going to the actual map or letting me press any sort of button or anything to get past this. I've tried pressing the 3 buttons to get to the self-diagnostic page, it doesn't work. When I put the car in reverse, the rear view camera does come up to show me whats behind me. But after about 3 seconds the screen goes black for 5-10 seconds and then returns to the rear view camera, does this over and over. And as soon as I put it back into drive, it does the same cycling of black screen and start up screen.

I have taken it to the dealer, I also had to do an airbag recall, and he told me that to fix it would require him removing the whole audio unit and sending it away to get repaired. Taking 5-6 weeks and 650$. I told him that I didn't even use the navigation capabilities and my radio/music still works perfectly fine across all platforms(Bluetooth, USB, am/fm). And that if it was going to cost that much, if he could just have them remove the navigation. He told me this would cost 100$, and that it's a simple thing to do, and that I could easily do it myself if that's the route I wanted to go. After looking online, I don't see of anyway to remove the navigation from the hard drive, something that he said "there are probably a hundred Youtube videos on." I just want to be able to use the rear view camera and dim that damn screen when I drive at night. It is blinding when that boot up page comes on and off every 10 seconds. So, am I totally screwed and going to have to spend the cash to get it fixed or does anyone on here have any ideas?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:12 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Look for a used head unit on e-bay, hopefully one that works. Not sure if you can replace just the hard drive, too complex, plus you'll have to re-install the operating system. A solution may be to ask the dealer to re-flash the head unit using one of their DVDs, just like they would do during a map upgrade, or get a hold of the map DVDs and try yourself.

Alternatively you may want to look for the related fuse and remove it, just so that you can drive at night.

Just some thoughts...
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Try a battery cable reset.

See the following article on page 2 of the January 2012 Acura Service News:

Try a Battery Cable Reset for Those Odd Electrical Problems
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...8/#post8398357