Mysterious Dangling Part In Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mysterious Dangling Part In Engine Bay

Hi gang! I was preparing to install my new Takeda intake tonight and came across a strange and mysterious part. This part has a hose attached to it and is just dangling over what I believe is referred to as the crank case line on the end that attaches to the engine. I guess another way to describe its location is to face the engine bay (with the front bumper at your knees) and look down at the engine from above. If we say that the Acura symbol right in the middle of the engine is the center of a clock, this mystery part is at about 2 o'clock, just outside the bend of the shiny silver intake manifold.

Here is a picture from above:

You can see how the tube to this little black box comes down from the top of the picture. Here is another angle:

As stated, the part is just loose and dangling there. Here is a shot of it from the right when I picked it up:

Here is another shot from the right, focusing on the hose that is connected to it. The hose goes way down the firewall side of the engine:

Here is a shot of it from the left - You can see the part also has another port for another hose, but nothing is connected:

Finally, here is a shot of the bottom of it, with this number stamped on it "NF2 OW8M"

Have any of you seen this? What is this thing? Is it supposed to be just dangling there? Or could this be an assembly error on my car where they didn't finish putting it in its rightful place?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
that piece is there, but it shouldnt have been "dangling" to begin with

I believe mine, was attached to the crank coolant line, but once you removed that silver pipe to install the intake, then it just dangles...

i too, have no idea what the hell it is...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You piqued my curiosity, so I went and checked my engine compartment as well.

I located the component, but it was attached to the metal tubes running from the air intake to the back side of the engine. There's a small metal plate about halfway along with a square hole the component snaps into. (You can see it in your second picture, on the very right hand side about halfway down) It snaps in from the right side with the tubes facing away from you, with the flat surface on top.

So it definitely isn't supposed to be just hanging there.

I checked my service manual, but couldn't find specific reference to what it is. My best guess would be it's part of the emissions control system.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks so much guys! I was wondering what that metal 'plate' with square hole in it was for...I thought maybe it just added structural rigidity to the metal tubes being connected together - makes sense now! I guess the assembly folks forgot to snap that in there - woops!

Regarding the other port/empty hose connector on it where it seems another hose would be attached: Do yours have a hose there? or is yours empty also? ie: Are there two hoses attached to yours or just one like mine? (see my second to last pic) Want to make sure the assembly folks didn't forget something there also!

Last edited by HiroY; 01-20-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine only has the one hose like yours. It's gray and has a green mark near the connection just like your pic shows.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I have that on my MDX.. I still to this day have no clue what that is.. lol. I wondered for a long time where's the other hose that connects to it? Until verifying that there isn't one.. don't worry.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Is there any wiring inside of the tube/hose? What I am thinking is that it may be a part that is there for an aftermarket item, like a remote start or something. Or maybe it connects to something that is not required in the US, but is in other countries?

But yeah, a dangling part that doesn't seem to really go to anything or have a purpose is pretty weird.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats an evap canister purge valve.