Moonroof Rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Moonroof Rattle...

Well guys.. Had a nightmare with my 2010 with 5,200 mile on when the roof started to rattle... Now at 6,200 on my new 2012 and here we go again... I can not believe after knowing this was a problem and not correcting it in either the 2011 or 2012 this is just unacceptable.... Well Monday it will go to a different dealership which I hope takes a much better approach then the one I used back with my 2010... Keep my fingers crossed...

Do a search with moonroof rattle and ferrcad and you can see some of my posted Blackberry pictures of the last repair and the passenger sunvisor falling out of the headliner going 50 MPH down the road... Let me know if any one else is experiencing the problem in the new 2012... I am going in armed with TSB 11-027 in my hand....
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I have the same issue also. It is frustrating that Acura was aware of the problem and did nothing to correct this for the 2012 model. I guess its easier for them to fix at the dealer with a TSB than trying to fix the problem at the source. Unacceptable but likely a fact of life.

Mine is only doing when its warm..Seeing what happened to you made me hold off on having the fix applied and deal with the click/tick that the sunroof makes
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I have the same issue also. It is frustrating that Acura was aware of the problem and did nothing to correct this for the 2012 model. I guess its easier for them to fix at the dealer with a TSB than trying to fix the problem at the source. Unacceptable but likely a fact of life.

Mine is only doing when its warm..Seeing what happened to you made me hold off on having the fix applied and deal with the click/tick that the sunroof makes
I'm noticing the same problem in my '09. I have been through several of the threads, but I'm wondering if there are some cliff notes that I can use to provide to the dealer. It seems like a big problem and from some of the threads I've read, the Tech Line doesn't really have it nailed down.

Any advice as I go to the dealer to have this fixed?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I had the moonroof rattle a while back, but it hasn't come back for a while now. Maybe I'll wait till the summer to see if it comes back. I had the rattle from the rear deck which the dealership supposedly fixed last time around, but it is still present. They put some felt in the sunroof area during the initial visit. The car's back at the dealership now and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Well guys my ride was in on this past Monday and I can say they nail it first shot... The noise is gone, interior looks as good as when it was dropped off... I had them do the Blue Tooth software update while it was in there for the roof rattle... Great job done by Spitzer Acura all around...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
I'm noticing the same problem in my '09. I have been through several of the threads, but I'm wondering if there are some cliff notes that I can use to provide to the dealer. It seems like a big problem and from some of the threads I've read, the Tech Line doesn't really have it nailed down.

Any advice as I go to the dealer to have this fixed?
Hogan, I walked in with the TSB I noted at the beginning of the thread... No questions asked.. Had the car a 1-1/2 days and all problems fixed.... The TSB is for all Acura TL's so not sure were the Tech line is a problem to fix...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather

Weather,

I travel about a block and a half on an old brick road to get to work and I can tell on that road it sounded like the thing was going to fly out of the roof... That was going at a speed of about 30 mph.... Cold or warm so I could not deal with anymore... It is crazy to pay that kind of money and to experience that kind of noise with less than 7000 miles on it... Like I said, walk in with the TSB and make sure to take a lot of pictures before bringing it to the dealership... I did it just in case there was any debate on molding, interior seating or roof problems to compare phots... Good luck
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrcad
I had them do the Blue Tooth software update while it was in there for the roof rattle...
Do you have a link for the Bluetooth software update? I am wondering whether there's any update for mine.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
What's in the updated BT software ?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
ferrcad...I do have the TSB in hand already and spoke to the dealership yesterday when I got the 2013 RDX. They are fully aware of the issue and they had one in the shop for that same problem. They will tell me how the repairs went. I am always nervous to have anyone remove a headliner and then tinker only to potentially create more rattles.

I'll decide if its worth taking the risk later on
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
What's in the updated BT software ?
Originally Posted by lji
Do you have a link for the Bluetooth software update? I am wondering whether there's any update for mine.
Hey guys...

Not really sure what the update was... I only new about it because my maintenance reminder came up one morning back in Feburary to let me know there was a software upgrade.... So I had them do it when it was in for the roof... I really don't see any difference in look or performance before the update...
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Hey guys...

Not really sure what the update was... I only new about it because my maintenance reminder came up one morning back in Feburary to let me know there was a software upgrade.... So I had them do it when it was in for the roof... I really don't see any difference in look or performance before the update...
Just wanted to add what I found on the forum concerning the pop up...

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-294/new-software-message-846824/
Old 05-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Sorry to hear this has happened more than once and in another TL for you.

In my experiences and having driven several 2009, 2010, and daily different combinations of 2012's, I've never experienced rattles except for the roof in your 2010 driving it back east (definitely made a racket on rough roads) and another 2009 with random dash noises. Other than those 2, nothing else.

Glad to hear Spitzer got things sorted out appropriately, and I hope the 2012 stays quiet. With the structural and insulation upgrades, in addition to 6spd, etc. the 2012's generally feel smoother, quieter and "tighter" vs. earlier years.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2012 as I did with my 2010 and the rattle as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, why honda don't fix it? It does exist since 2004 TL.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
How widespread is this problem ? What's the percentage of cars being affected ?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's what I've noticed. Have you guys noticed HOW the ceiling liner is attached to the roof behind the sunroof? In the center is a magnet and then to the left and right of that are two valcro attachments. Try it, pull down on liner behind the sunroof and voila, it snaps right down.

My problem of this constant rattle was indeed the damn velcro. It's a very heavy valro... the hook loop system that CLICKS in together. I firmly pressed where the valcro pieces are and now no more little clicky clackity coming from what appeared to be the sunroof.

Though your issues may actually be the sunroof, mine was just the damn valcro.

It's so easy to try a fix that everyone should atleast try it.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys.. Had a nightmare with my 2010 with 5,200 mile on when the roof started to rattle... Now at 6,200 on my new 2012 and here we go again... I can not believe after knowing this was a problem and not correcting it in either the 2011 or 2012 this is just unacceptable.... Well Monday it will go to a different dealership which I hope takes a much better approach then the one I used back with my 2010... Keep my fingers crossed...

Do a search with moonroof rattle and ferrcad and you can see some of my posted Blackberry pictures of the last repair and the passenger sunvisor falling out of the headliner going 50 MPH down the road... Let me know if any one else is experiencing the problem in the new 2012... I am going in armed with TSB 11-027 in my hand....

Dude... Try since 03. I've had every model but the 3G.my cl-s was a rattle box, the moonroof being one of the worst. They're asses.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually have my car serviced at bariel acura.. Glad to hear good things from spitzer
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2010 that I just bought with 29k miles. Definitely a rattle that drove me absolutely nuts for about 20 minutes until I remebered seeing this thread. Another issue to fix under warranty.

By the way, my other car is a 2007 Infiniti M35x and it also had about 5 or 6 issues that I had to fix under warranty! I guess perfect cars don't exist.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2007 RDX, and my mom drove a 2004 TL and both of these cars suffered the same issue. Is this something that can be fixed? My mom took hers into the dealership and they kept it for a week and told her they fixed it only to find out that they did nothing to resolve it. Another week in the shop and stern talking to the service manager and they seemed to fix it for her. Mine just started rattling and it's super annoying.

Does the TSB apply to all model's or just the 2012 TL you bought?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
beardothegreat,

i think your alittle past your warranty for repairs with the dealer..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Pro

I guess that brings up a question. A TSB is not a recall or silent recall, right? So, unless the issue is fixed before warranty runs out, it is on the car owner?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Our Accord had a wicked moonroof rattle. I used the Shin Etsu grease on all the seals and it has completely disappeared. Wish I had tried it earlier.

My TL was starting to develop a rattle too. I had it looked at on an oil change. The S/A said they lubed it - whatever they did, it went away. That was about 6 months ago.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Ryan

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got my car back from B16 service and had them look into my roof rattle. They lubricated the sunroof seals and adjusted the sunroof rail and the rattles seem to have disappeared....
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Pro

Be careful with this. If you have a CPO and are out of the original warranty (outside 50k miles), the dealer says this is not covered. I just took mine in on Friday to have a number of things done before the CPO warranty expired, including TSB-027. I got a call on Saturday morning that the TSB was not covered outside the "original" warranty and I had a $1,000 bill waiting for me. Needless to say, I'm having words with them, since they did not check with me before making the fix.

They have already agreed to know 50% off that, but I am not going to be on the hook for anything because they fixed it without my consent. I took it in for warranty work and the email I sent to the service manager before going in explicitly states that.

I have a meeting with the dealership GM at noon.

Any advice on how to handle?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Pro

in for subscription
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Pro

Does anyone have the TSB they can share with me? I've visited all the threads with links, etc. and can't seem to find the specific one. TIA!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Be careful with this. If you have a CPO and are out of the original warranty (outside 50k miles), the dealer says this is not covered. I just took mine in on Friday to have a number of things done before the CPO warranty expired, including TSB-027. I got a call on Saturday morning that the TSB was not covered outside the "original" warranty and I had a $1,000 bill waiting for me. Needless to say, I'm having words with them, since they did not check with me before making the fix.

They have already agreed to know 50% off that, but I am not going to be on the hook for anything because they fixed it without my consent. I took it in for warranty work and the email I sent to the service manager before going in explicitly states that.

I have a meeting with the dealership GM at noon.

Any advice on how to handle?
Be very polite and professional. Ask them if they would cover it under "goodwill" since:
1) It is a known defect, not a wear/tear/normal usage thing.
2) They fixed it unilaterally without telling you that there was a cost...

You can always go to Acura corporate, but the key is to stay polite and professional.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TL_MDX
I just got my car back from B16 service and had them look into my roof rattle. They lubricated the sunroof seals and adjusted the sunroof rail and the rattles seem to have disappeared....
I had the same experience. My roof started rattling, especially on warm days, after about 18 months. Took it in, they did the same service, and so far, so good.

On my wife's Accord, the sunroof/headliner had a rattle since forever. I bought some of the magic Honda Shin-Etsu grease, applied it to the seals, and voila, all noises have disappeared. I'm kicking myself for putting up with the Accord rattle for years without trying this fix. It works!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Be very polite and professional. Ask them if they would cover it under "goodwill" since:
1) It is a known defect, not a wear/tear/normal usage thing.
2) They fixed it unilaterally without telling you that there was a cost...

You can always go to Acura corporate, but the key is to stay polite and professional.
I met with the GM yesterday and he didn't charge me for the service. His words were, "when I asked the service manager whether he called you before performing the service and he said, "no", I knew we couldn't charge you."

I appreciate a dealership who admits their mistakes and makes them good for the customer.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n19htmare
Here's what I've noticed. Have you guys noticed HOW the ceiling liner is attached to the roof behind the sunroof? In the center is a magnet and then to the left and right of that are two valcro attachments. Try it, pull down on liner behind the sunroof and voila, it snaps right down.

My problem of this constant rattle was indeed the damn velcro. It's a very heavy valro... the hook loop system that CLICKS in together. I firmly pressed where the valcro pieces are and now no more little clicky clackity coming from what appeared to be the sunroof.

N19htmare
No never noticed. Do u mean inside the roof bt the liner and outer shell?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I met with the GM yesterday and he didn't charge me for the service. His words were, "when I asked the service manager whether he called you before performing the service and he said, "no", I knew we couldn't charge you."

I appreciate a dealership who admits their mistakes and makes them good for the customer.
Wow. What dealer was this?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wow. What dealer was this?
Superior Acura in Fairfield, OH, a suburb of Cincinnati. They bought themselves a long-term customer for just over $500.

The bigger question is what other items are only covered under "original warranty" and not under CPO? I understood the CPO warranty to be an extension of the original warranty vs. a different warranty all together.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by n19htmare

It looks like I have same issue on my 2009 . It's been few weeks that started , but it sounds more like a ceiling liner than moonroof itself. I'm due for a B1 service and I'll have them to check it , especially the valcro..
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Momyc
It looks like I have same issue on my 2009 . It's been few weeks that started , but it sounds more like a ceiling liner than moonroof itself. I'm due for a B1 service and I'll have them to check it , especially the valcro..
If not under the original warranty (<50k miles), be careful. It is not covered under the extended CPO as I indicated above.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been getting lots of noise out the sunroof area especially when going up and down a driveway apron. I read this thread yesterday and went out and used the Shin Etsu grease all around the sunroof gasket as well as the sheet metal around the sunroof and the noise is completely gone today. I bought it several months ago and used it once before. It works great but needs to be redone every so often. Car sounded new today. No joke.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Drifting

^^Try it on the door seals too. It will add back more of that "new car" silence.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^ on my list for tomorrow - as well as around the trunk opening