MID Codes for A & B Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
JLH
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MID Codes for A & B Oil Change

Under Maintenance Minder Items in Maintenance Minder (Pg.540 in the '12 TL manual), Symbol A calls for replace engine oil (only). Under Symbol B, it calls for oil change and filter change. Do I interpret this to mean the first oil change is oil change only and the fliter does not require change until I get a 'B' message? If so, why? I have 5550 miles now.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I would change out both filter and oil at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
JLH (10-26-2011)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Does anyone know the answer to this?

My car came up with B12 this week. After searching on this site I found that the service is essentially the same as an A1 with the exception of some inspections (the “B”rakes) the cabin filter and air filter. However, my dealer wants $342 for this service. When I called to ask them what the service entails, the guy said I don’t have to do everything… So, I told him I want the A1 service and I will inspect my car myself as well as change the air filters.

Am I missing something? Does the regular “A” service include changing the oil and not the oil filter?

Even when bringing my car in for the A1 service, they mostly tell me to not rotate the tires as they don’t need it. I have to force them to rotate the tires. I have always done this every 5K miles to get the best wear.

Thanks in advance for any help. My appointment is in a couple days.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^you are correct.

if you have your owners manual, it will state what B12 service entails.
but its mostly visual inspections.

oil and filter change with tire rotation and visual inspections of brakes and other items.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by JLH
Under Maintenance Minder Items in Maintenance Minder (Pg.540 in the '12 TL manual), Symbol A calls for replace engine oil (only). Under Symbol B, it calls for oil change and filter change. Do I interpret this to mean the first oil change is oil change only and the fliter does not require change until I get a 'B' message? If so, why? I have 5550 miles now.
while, yes, the manual does state this, most dealers will change both the oil AND the filter for an A or a B service regardless. i am unsure of the complete logic of not changing the filter at the A service (the filter really doesn't cost THAT much) per acura's OM.

Originally Posted by Thermoguy
Does anyone know the answer to this?

My car came up with B12 this week. After searching on this site I found that the service is essentially the same as an A1 with the exception of some inspections (the “B”rakes) the cabin filter and air filter. However, my dealer wants $342 for this service. When I called to ask them what the service entails, the guy said I don’t have to do everything… So, I told him I want the A1 service and I will inspect my car myself as well as change the air filters.

Am I missing something? Does the regular “A” service include changing the oil and not the oil filter?

Even when bringing my car in for the A1 service, they mostly tell me to not rotate the tires as they don’t need it. I have to force them to rotate the tires. I have always done this every 5K miles to get the best wear.

Thanks in advance for any help. My appointment is in a couple days.
B=oil and filter change with a whole mess of inspections
1=tire rotation
2=cabin and engine air filter change

as far as the oil and filter change see above response to OP.

the price is about on par with what is charged (~$180 for the B, $30 for the tire rotation, and $120 or so for the filter changes <--this is stupid expensive for something so simple to swap yourself. $40 at the parts counter and maybe 15 min of your time). you can think of the B service as an annual physical for your car, but you can certainly just ask for an oil and filter change (which is cheaper than an A service $120 vs $40 for dino or $70 for synthetic). it gets even cheaper if you bring yor own oil and filter, $25 for labor of oil change. it's really a game of semantics with the dealer and what you ask for. build that relationship and you may reap some of the rewards.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks

I decided to look at the dealer website to see what they say about an oil change: Oil and Filter – includes hand wash and vacuum – also includes multi point inspection and top off fluids…

So, I see where you say this is like an annual physical, but don’t they do that every time I take it in for an A1 service? Sounds more like the doctor saying, “ so, how do you feel?” then turning around and not listening…

I am willing to pay the $342 bucks or so if they are doing something for the money. If they were adjusting something, or flushing something, or replacing something… but to inspect --- that is why I take it to the dealer in the first place, so they can inspect my car that is still under warranty, it’s still like new!

Also I pay $40 for an oil change and $20 to rotate the tires. This is about $60 for an A1 service – seems reasonable to me. The filters are available in parts and even a guy like me should be able to change them.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
No one I've ever seen on this board changes ONLY the oil, regardless of what it says on the OM for A1.

Virtually everyone says change the oil AND filter each time you change the oil.

:hmmm: Edit that to exclude a few maverick who run the Amsoil EO(?) filter for extended periods.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
oh...one other thing...if you enjoy staring at your swirl free paint and want it to stay that way....pass on the free wash. it should always be the first thing out of your mouth, "NO WASH."

ok two things. the second one, check the dealer website for service coupons. never hurts to save a few bucks.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B12 Service

My MID stated B12. Went to the dealership and got my oil changed Friday. They explained to me that they also needed to change the cabin air filter and that it would $165 for this service. I passed and researched it on this site. I've never repaired anything car related but I can follow instructions. I paid $20 for the filter from Auto Zone and in about 5 minutes replaced the filter myself. Seems sad that they would charge so much for such a minor service.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a little confused about how MM works for the rear differential. Does having more oil changes performed than the MM calls for throw off the car's computer for telling you when you need to change the diff fluid in the sh-awd.

2012 TL 6 MT sh-awd.