Leather Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Leather Treatment

Anyone have any recommendations for a good leather treatment for my '10 SH AWD MT?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I bought this but have not used yet
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I used Lexol products for my cars. They are pretty good.
The following users liked this post:
revray (11-04-2018)
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
You'll hear all kinds of advice on this one. Some say just use a lightly damp cloth and dry it immediately (this is what I do), some say use a little Woolite, and some say to use one of the many brands of commercial leather cleaners/treatments available.

I'd suggest you look in the Wash & Wax forum, which many professional detailers frequent, or even go to some of the detailing websites to get recommendations with which you're comfortable.

Sorry not to be more concrete, but I've had the same question since I've owned my car, and this has been my approach. Let us know what you end up doing and the results.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I recommend leatherique, that stuff is awesome but it sure isn't cheap. But if you want something more affordable I would go with Zaino or lexol.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me... I regularly clean my leather seats with upholstery cleaner and a soft scrub brush. I have never really been into conditioning the leather with the products out there. I always felt my leather had the feel and look when it was just cleaned. I have tried some of the different conditioners listed, but again just for me, I have never really seen the benefit of them. After cleaning the interior on my new-to-me TL a friend insisted that I tried some of his leather care sauce. He touted that it gives your car that "new leather smell." Let's be honest, only new leather will truly give your car that new leather smell. The product was fine, but again, I didn't see anything that had me running to by a bottle of it. Maybe if your leather is more worn, cracked, dry, then these types of leather conditioners are needed.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by theonlybfc
For me... I regularly clean my leather seats with upholstery cleaner and a soft scrub brush. I have never really been into conditioning the leather with the products out there. I always felt my leather had the feel and look when it was just cleaned. I have tried some of the different conditioners listed, but again just for me, I have never really seen the benefit of them. After cleaning the interior on my new-to-me TL a friend insisted that I tried some of his leather care sauce. He touted that it gives your car that "new leather smell." Let's be honest, only new leather will truly give your car that new leather smell. The product was fine, but again, I didn't see anything that had me running to by a bottle of it. Maybe if your leather is more worn, cracked, dry, then these types of leather conditioners are needed.

While I can see why you say stuff like this, understand that leather is a type of skin and it does need conditioning. Your hands get dry and crack if you don't lotion them properly. Same with seats. Why get the cracking when you can prevent it?

While I've used Griots in the past, I'm more inclined to using
"Chemical Guys" and their leather products "Chemical Guys" and their leather products
. The upholstery cleaner you listed is going to wear down the colour and condition of your seats rather quickly, along with the scrub brush. If you're gonna dump the car after a few years then sure whatever (again I hate that type of philosophy) but if you're gonna keep it take care of it. Leather shouldn't look/feel shiny and slippery, it should be a bit more matte and plush.

I clean my seats every 3-4 months (about 3-4 times a year) and condition twice a year. It takes me what, a whole hour, hour and half? But it keeps the seats in great condition. I'm gonna drive my car till it breaks down, and seeing how hondas do in the past, that's gonna be well over 200k miles.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I clean my seats with just water and a dishrag, then treat with Maguires leather conditioner. 70K miles and a couple thousand people sitting in the car doing Uber and the seats look practically new.