Headlamp Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Headlamp Assembly

Anyone have experience with a replacement brand calling themselves " Replace"
https://www.carid.com/2012-acura-tl-...098005575.html

I need to swap out my lenses, and I know a ballast is going in one unit, so it might make sense to order a complete assy.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
If you are cutting the lights up, you can buy bi-xenon projectors from the retrofit source that fit our cars plug and play! They can also be equipped with ZKW or TSX lenses. I'd honestly do that! Plus get a used ballast, OEM last the longest.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob
Anyone have experience with a replacement brand calling themselves " Replace"
https://www.carid.com/2012-acura-tl-...098005575.html

I need to swap out my lenses, and I know a ballast is going in one unit, so it might make sense to order a complete assy.

Thanks!
Just curious: ("I need to swap out my lenses") Do you mean the headlamp itself, or the lenses? Is the headlight, or lens, Damaged?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Just curious: ("I need to swap out my lenses") Do you mean the headlamp itself, or the lenses? Is the headlight, or lens, Damaged?
Great question. One lens is sun damaged and sanding isn’t enough. The other lens Is still good but I want them both to match and look new and then age together. I know that the ballast and lamps are getting up there in age, and it would be prudent to replace everything complete rather than take things apart and re assemble down the road. Literally. Lol. I know it’s slightly throwing money at something which works, then again, time is also valuable and let’s just do this once.

So...If anyone knows a reliable supplier for OEM lamps, I’m interested. Nothing aftermarket. Please disregard the above link, I want to go OEM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: OEM New= $$$ very expensive. If money is no object, any on-line Acura OEM supplier, like Delrayacuraoemparts.com, will sell you the (BARE) headlight, no bulb, ballast, igniter, etc. for $ 539, + shipping, + ballast +bulb + igniter. That light, lists, for $771. Even if you were to go used, OEM, from a north western state, where the sun damage is not as severe, you would have to pay in the $800 range, for one headlight, with "0" damage, with used, ballast, bulb, and igniter. I do a lot of headlight restoration work, and it puzzles me, when you say, " One lens is sun damaged and sanding isn’t enough." I have yet, to encounter, a sun damaged, faded headlight, that could not be restored, to ( NEAR PERFECT ) condition, to include the restoration of the UV protective layer.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
IMO: OEM New= $$$ very expensive. If money is no object, any on-line Acura OEM supplier, like Delrayacuraoemparts.com, will sell you the (BARE) headlight, no bulb, ballast, igniter, etc. for $ 539, + shipping, + ballast +bulb + igniter. That light, lists, for $771. Even if you were to go used, OEM, from a north western state, where the sun damage is not as severe, you would have to pay in the $800 range, for one headlight, with "0" damage, with used, ballast, bulb, and igniter. I do a lot of headlight restoration work, and it puzzles me, when you say, " One lens is sun damaged and sanding isn’t enough." I have yet, to encounter, a sun damaged, faded headlight, that could not be restored, to ( NEAR PERFECT ) condition, to include the restoration of the UV protective layer.
I took some time and refinished the lenses. They are near perfect and they look extremely clear.
Sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000, then 3000. Turtle Wax rubbing compound then polish.
The only thing Ive noticed - there are slight scratch marks still in the plastic. I assume I went too tough on the 1000 grit. Its only noticeable from the side angle if you were to look at the lamp.
Any advice for how to further clear this up? I would appreciate it. Buying the lenses just does not make sense after review.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I know you said you dont want aftermarket. But consider the TSX-R lens from theretrofitsource.com. Its only $40 and supposed to be much better than oem.