Engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:24 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Engine noise?

So this just started to happen a few days ago. After the car starts and when the car is accelerating from 0-say 40mph, I can hear a fairly prominent very rapid ticking noise from the engine bay.

This noise is rather prominent, not super loud, but noticeable. Engine just doesn't sound smooth anymore. Not sure how to describe the noise, almost like a very noticeable ticking or whirling flapping noise. Noise goes away when I shift to neutral, then comes back again when car is in gear.

This noise seems to disappear when the car is at higher speeds, say 50-60mph. Not sure if it's completely gone or if this engine noise is masked by road sounds.

On top of that the low oil level indicator flashed yesterday as well

I have 2 more months of power train warranty left. My schedule is super hectic, and I doubt that the local stealership will do anything.

Any ideas what this noise is about?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Perhaps you have a low oil level as the instrumentation has indicated.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:41 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Reorge
Perhaps you have a low oil level as the instrumentation has indicated.
Yes, but how does low oil level have anything to do with this engine noise? Car has 56k miles, and I never heard this engine noise before. I've had the low oil level flash before as the engine is consuming oil, so I add oil as needed.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
... how does low oil level have anything to do with this engine noise?
Ahhh, you almost got me. This is a test to see if I'm going to heaven when I die. Well I'm not falling for it. Nice try. "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen."

Last edited by Reorge; 09-30-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
arpypat (10-01-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
If you log the issue before the warranty expires (i.e. customer complains that the car has consumed all oil between regular scheduled service intervals, the light flashed - thats logged in the computer by the way - and it makes noise at low speeds) then the issue can be resolved after the warranty expires. They do have to log the issue and provide you with a diagnosis, one way or another. Ask for a loaner car while they debug this. If they can or won't do any of the above the solution is to contact Acura Client Relations, link with info: Acura Client Relations | Acura Owners Site and state your concern, let the corporate people deal with the dealership. Best thing is to call them, no e-mails etc, they take calls more seriously than e-mails.

PS. I get the feeling that long periods of little oil in your engine have trashed that engine. But thats just a gut feeling.

Last edited by Tonyware; 09-30-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Maybe it's valve chatter. I believe the MID should tell the dealership to: "Adjust the valves during service 3 if they are noisy."
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
docboy, did the dealer find a solution to this? It sounds like my TL has the same problem. I took it in yesterday and the dealership called me today and said they can't hear anything. This is my third 3.7L from Acura and this definitely doesn't sound normal. I know you got a new engine because of the oil consumption, but I'm just wondering if they found a solution to this single problem or it went unresolved.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
docboy, did the dealer find a solution to this? It sounds like my TL has the same problem. I took it in yesterday and the dealership called me today and said they can't hear anything. This is my third 3.7L from Acura and this definitely doesn't sound normal. I know you got a new engine because of the oil consumption, but I'm just wondering if they found a solution to this single problem or it went unresolved.
Check your oil level. Ticking noise is usually from low oil level. Driving could be the timing belt hydraulic tensioner going or the belt itself. Check your oil level first. Turn your engine on and put your ear near the passenger side wheel well and see if you hear the noise too.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:21 PM
Racer

Yeah at my most recent oil change, the car was two quarts low. Service wanted me to do the oil level check every thousand miles which I was fine with. I've only gone a thousand miles and it hasn't burned any oil according to them. They did a valve adjustment and new spark plugs to the car a couple weeks ago and the ticking noise is still there. I just don't want to go to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my car with the noise still there since he apparently can't hear anything, which I have no clue how he can't.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:25 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Yeah at my most recent oil change, the car was two quarts low. Service wanted me to do the oil level check every thousand miles which I was fine with. I've only gone a thousand miles and it hasn't burned any oil according to them. They did a valve adjustment and new spark plugs to the car a couple weeks ago and the ticking noise is still there. I just don't want to go to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my car with the noise still there since he apparently can't hear anything, which I have no clue how he can't.
I don't see how replacing the Spark plugs and adjusting the valves would have anything to do with a ticking noise. Did they suggest this?

Wish the car was in front of me so I could help you more but it's hard to diagnose when you only know of the sound. If you could pin point or video it that would help and maybe I could point you in the right direction.

Let me know if the ticking noise is gone and check the dipstick and make your the engine oil is at level after its warm.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 PM
Racer

Thanks for the help! Well they were supposed to do the spark plugs when they replaced my timing belt and water pump, but forgot about the spark plugs. I didn't find out that they had forgotten about the plugs until they recommended that they be replaced at my last oil change. And then I told them about the ticking noise so they thought a valve adjustment would do the trick, which has worked in the past with my 2009 TL AWD. I really don't know what to do tomorrow if they stand firm on not hearing anything, they work with these everyday so I don't know how he doesn't tell when one doesn't sound right.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:34 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Thanks for the help! Well they were supposed to do the spark plugs when they replaced my timing belt and water pump, but forgot about the spark plugs. I didn't find out that they had forgotten about the plugs until they recommended that they be replaced at my last oil change. And then I told them about the ticking noise so they thought a valve adjustment would do the trick, which has worked in the past with my 2009 TL AWD. I really don't know what to do tomorrow if they stand firm on not hearing anything, they work with these everyday so I don't know how he doesn't tell when one doesn't sound right.
Yeah weird. I usually associate ticking with either low oil level or some cars have purge valves which make that noise constantly but yours shouldn't.

Anyways post when you get the car back. Check oil level if it's still making the noise or try to locate the noise at idle if you can.

Last edited by JasonK; 01-27-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Racer

Went in to pick up my car tonight, started the car and revved the engine for the service adviser and he immediately heard the tick. The car was also in for the 2,000 mile checkup on oil, it's a quart low. They said to bring it back in 1,000 miles and we'll see how low on oil it is and will go from there. He said it's likely if it burns more oil the fix will be a rebuilt or used engine which I'm fine with. They're going to hold off on the tick for now as they think it's related to the oil consumption. I tried to post a video of the tick but the video won't work.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8526.MOV (9.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-28-2016, 10:29 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Went in to pick up my car tonight, started the car and revved the engine for the service adviser and he immediately heard the tick. The car was also in for the 2,000 mile checkup on oil, it's a quart low. They said to bring it back in 1,000 miles and we'll see how low on oil it is and will go from there. He said it's likely if it burns more oil the fix will be a rebuilt or used engine which I'm fine with. They're going to hold off on the tick for now as they think it's related to the oil consumption. I tried to post a video of the tick but the video won't work.
Yeah I can't get the video. I'll PM you my email. Send it to me.

I can't see the valves ticking it absolutely makes zero sense.

Let me look at the video. But before I get it is the noise coming from the center of the engine or side where the timing and serp belt are? Do me a favor and put your ear and listen next to the passenger wheel and see if the noise is louder.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Racer

The noise is definitely louder when I listen near the lower passenger side area.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:27 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

I think the sound your trying to describe is one of the tensioner going see if you can lift your Serp belt with your hand and see if there is also any visible cracks in the belt. If it's not that it's most likely your hydraulic tensioner for your timing belt.

How many km or miles on the car at the moment? Timing belt ever been done? Is it like a mixture type sound lik almost a chirp but not and a little deeper of a noise and does it constantly?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 PM
Racer

It has 120k miles. Timing belt and water pump were done 8k miles ago, spark plugs and valve adjustment just performed. In 1k miles the dealership will decide what to do, I have an extended warranty on it and they said everything will be covered anyways. The sound is exactly what OP described, can be heard when started, low speeds, and revving the engine.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

It has 120k miles. Timing belt and water pump were done 8k miles ago, spark plugs and valve adjustment just performed. In 1k miles the dealership will decide what to do, I have an extended warranty on it and they said everything will be covered anyways. The sound is exactly what OP described, can be heard when started, low speeds, and revving the engine.
I don't know what to tell you if the timing belt has been done. Did the noise start after it was done or happened before as well?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Racer

I think it was soon after the timing belt was replaced. Will be daily driving this from now on to run the thousand miles and have them fix this engine.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

I think it was soon after the timing belt was replaced. Will be daily driving this from now on to run the thousand miles and have them fix this engine.
Yeah I don't know what to tell you. If it's timing belt related then I would take it back to the people that did it and make sure they installed the belt correctly. I know on the 09's some of the belts on them rub against the oil pump housing and creates a chirp like sound that's constant. On my car it was the actual hydraulic tensioner that I had to replace. Did they replace the hydraulic tensioner and all the pulleys? And was it a Gates Kit or Acura Belt (Gates aswell)
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Racer

I'm not sure if they replaced those parts, everything has been done at the Acura dealership though. Whatever they end up doing will most likely be within the next month, I'll keep you posted on what happens!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:50 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

I'm not sure if they replaced those parts, everything has been done at the Acura dealership though. Whatever they end up doing will most likely be within the next month, I'll keep you posted on what happens!
Yeah man let me know hows it goes. I'm quite curious myself.