CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CV Axle

I've noticed recently that when I accelerate at highway speeds there seems to be some vibration. Thought maybe it's the tires, but the tires are 2 months old. While replacing my front brake pads yesterday, I noticed the cv axle appears to be peeling. The rubber boots look ok, no leaks. When I grab the axle and push it back and forth, there's is the slightest bit of play and faint knocking sound. Below are pictures of the front driver's side. The passenger side isn't peeling as bad but still peeling. Is this something I need to have replaced right away? It's a '14 TL SH-AWD w/64k miles. thanks
Attached Thumbnails CV Axle-img-2183-copy.jpg   CV Axle-img-2183.jpg   CV Axle-img-2184-copy.jpg   CV Axle-img-2184.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To me that just looks like your axle has CANCER! (rust) but beyond that It shouldn't affect anything. I've had axles and my own where the boots been gone for a long time, the residual grease seems to keep it working just fine. I've been told the main way to tell of a bad CV it's self is to turn a sharp corner and accelerate a bit, they make a clicking noise, other than that they seem to hold up well. the little bit of play you feel is considered normal.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the response. upon further inspection, it looks like just the surface paint flaking/peeling. Guess I won't worry about it until I see more pronounced symptoms.